Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I haven't messed with rooting in a couple years, but now I need to backup my wife's app data since Lollipop really hosed up her 2012 Nexus 7 and I'm going to do a factory reset.

She's got data from several apps that have known problems with Helium, so I guess I'm going to use Titanium backup.

So, what's the right way to go about getting the 2012 N7 rooted so I can backup her poo poo?
Is the bootloader unlocked? If so, run this from the bootloader.

If the bootloader isn't unlocked, you're screwed but you knew that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Is the bootloader unlocked? If so, run this from the bootloader.

If the bootloader isn't unlocked, you're screwed but you knew that.

I was hoping that since I last messed with this some elite xda hacker had come up with a way to unlock bootloader without a wipe. My googlin' leads me to believe that this can be done on the 2013 N7.

bleh

You can die in a fire, Google.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I was hoping that since I last messed with this some elite xda hacker had come up with a way to unlock bootloader without a wipe. My googlin' leads me to believe that this can be done on the 2013 N7.

bleh

You can die in a fire, Google.
You know the rules, always unlock the bootloader. Always unlock the bootloader.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

I know, I'm terrible.

She bought the N7 with no input from me and I didn't want to mess with her poo poo. Now we're both paying for it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

I know, I'm terrible.

She bought the N7 with no input from me and I didn't want to mess with her poo poo. Now we're both paying for it.
It probably won't work but it can't hurt to try this.

Sorry wrong device. You're screwed.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

Does it wipe the device after every unlock? I gave up on rooting devices and locked my bootloader on my 2013 N7 right before lollipop, and now I'm wondering if I'll eventually regret that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Does it wipe the device after every unlock? I gave up on rooting devices and locked my bootloader on my 2013 N7 right before lollipop, and now I'm wondering if I'll eventually regret that.
Yes. It will always wipe if you do the command "fastboot oem unlock". You might get lucky and there might be a root exploit available (like TowelRoot, above) but historically that's rare in up-to-date Nexus devices.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

reading posted:

Can anyone point me to a legit source for the file I need to get my Samsung Galaxy S4 mini (3G, I9190) into recovery mode? The clockwork rom website doesn't list anything for that device but various shady tutorials around the web offer downloads of a clockwork recovery rom. I have not been able to get my device past the "RECOVERY BOOTING..." screen, it just hangs there forever. I really want to put Cyanogen on this thing, but I don't want to download some malware laden rom off a russian blog post.

I followed this tutorial (I use linux on my desktop): http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_serrano3gxx but their link to a recovery .img is broken. I found another recovery .img which uploaded via heimdall with no problems, but I cannot get past the "RECOVERY BOOTING..." message when trying to boot into recovery mode.

I fixed this by using Odin under windows and following a different tutorial to load the clockwork recovery mod. I was able to get the phone to boot into recovery mode first by removing the battery and putting it back in, that seemed to have made it calm down and behave.

Then I switched to Linux to sideload the Cyanogen mod using "adb", as well as the google play stuff. Unfortunately the google play additions also put a stupid google search bar on my home screen that I cannot remove. :-( It doesn't respond like other widgets do.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

reading posted:

stupid google search bar on my home screen that I cannot remove. :-(

That's usually a setting in your launcher. If it isn't, use a different launcher that supports not having that there. I use Nova.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

Nerdrock posted:

That's usually a setting in your launcher. If it isn't, use a different launcher that supports not having that there. I use Nova.

I found it, it was in a secret home screen menu that I had to access by tapping the home button twice and then "pulling" that menu upwards to reveal another menu.

Now my problem is that the Apollo music player won't acknowledge all the music I loaded on to my SD card, no matter where I put it. Where does Apollo look for music or how can I make it rescan all attached media? Clearing the cache didn't do it, nor did rebooting the whole phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

reading posted:

Now my problem is that the Apollo music player won't acknowledge all the music I loaded on to my SD card, no matter where I put it. Where does Apollo look for music or how can I make it rescan all attached media? Clearing the cache didn't do it, nor did rebooting the whole phone.
Good to see they still haven't fixed that issue since I was using CM two years ago.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Can someone give me a quick summary on rooting the Oneplus One? Is there any point to it? Since it's already running CM, I'd assume they're okay with the idea of people wanting to root, so it's probably easy?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/guide-oneplus-one-how-to-unlock-bootloader-install-custom-recovery-and-root.64487/

I got mine from Swappa so I think it might've been pre-rooted, I just flashed the custom recovery (which could've been there already), installed Super Su and that was it. Even if that's not the case, they don't really do anything to make it difficult. While CM really already does a lot of the stuff you'd need to root a stock rom for, it's definitely worth it just to set a non-blind person DPI.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 2, 2014

Dancer
May 23, 2011
And just to be clear. If I follow the instructions from that website, using the stock ROM, this won't compromise my ability to get OS updates, correct?

reading
Jul 27, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Good to see they still haven't fixed that issue since I was using CM two years ago.

And just now as I used the "Encrypt my phone" option, the first thing Cyanogen did was totally wipe my phone and reset it. And then it didn't encrypt poo poo! It was like a booby trap, simply a mis-labeled "Wipe my phone and do a factory reset" option.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

reading posted:

And just now as I used the "Encrypt my phone" option, the first thing Cyanogen did was totally wipe my phone and reset it. And then it didn't encrypt poo poo! It was like a booby trap, simply a mis-labeled "Wipe my phone and do a factory reset" option.

That's why even on stock OSs you backup poo poo to prevent it hitting the fan. Never trust a feature no matter if its from google, sony, etc...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Guillermus posted:

That's why even on stock OSs you backup poo poo to prevent it hitting the fan. Never trust a feature no matter if its from google, sony, etc...
But especially don't trust one from CM. I actually knew that encrypting on CM wiped and failed to encrypt as it's never worked in CM since it was introduced. I'm sure it'll be fixed any day now.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
CM's encryption is even more secure than the standard Google version. No one can get your files, not even you.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Dancer posted:

Can someone give me a quick summary on rooting the Oneplus One? Is there any point to it? Since it's already running CM, I'd assume they're okay with the idea of people wanting to root, so it's probably easy?

Basically exactly the same as the Nexus, use the fastboot oem unlock to unlock the bootloader, use fastboot to flash a recovery and then use that to flash ROMs, or you can flash .img files directly from fastboot. Completely sanctioned by OnePlus and there's a well written, official guide to doing it on the OnePlus One forum. Very quick and easy.

Boozie
Feb 2, 2013
Is there a suggested App for battery life improvement? Using Superliterom on my S3.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Started getting graphical glitches on my n5, happens in normal use as well as on the power off charging screen and bootloader screen.

Tried

- Factory reset.
- Pushed factory image over ADB.
- Opened it, blew it out with a rocket blower, reseated the main board connectors.

Anything else worth trying, or is the board boned?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Father Jack posted:

Started getting graphical glitches on my n5, happens in normal use as well as on the power off charging screen and bootloader screen.

Tried

- Factory reset.
- Pushed factory image over ADB.
- Opened it, blew it out with a rocket blower, reseated the main board connectors.

Anything else worth trying, or is the board boned?

Did you buy it from Google play? The will replace it for free.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Yeah, on launch day so now over a year old.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Father Jack posted:

Yeah, on launch day so now over a year old.

Give it a shot, be extra nice when you talk to them?

edit: check with your credit card to see if they double the manufacturers warranty.

Ludicrous G. Gibs
Jan 28, 2012

Drinks?
Hey, I've got a Galaxy S4 on Verizon (SCH-1545) and recently did a factory reset due to some wacky bootloop nonsense. The reset worked, I re-rooted with towelroot, installed SuperSU and Titanium, everything worked, things are pretty much fine except for one problem.

Whenever I disable wifi or get out of range of an access point, the phone forgets all my wifi settings. If I turn wifi off and on, all saved networks are removed and I have to re-enter my wifi password. Same when I get home for the day, I have to re-enter the password. The wpa_supplicant.conf file ends up completely blank every time.

Any help? I can provide any further information needed but I've been messing with it for a few days and I'm completely stuck.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

chippy posted:

Basically exactly the same as the Nexus, use the fastboot oem unlock to unlock the bootloader, use fastboot to flash a recovery and then use that to flash ROMs, or you can flash .img files directly from fastboot. Completely sanctioned by OnePlus and there's a well written, official guide to doing it on the OnePlus One forum. Very quick and easy.

Can you confirm to me that I will still get updates pushed if I do that, using the stock ROM? It seems to me like it *should* be possible, but this isn't something I know a lot about.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Does Lollipop have any way to disable vibrations (while still leaving the ringer and notification sounds on)? In previous versions of Android it was pretty easy to disable vibrations more or less completely, but Lollipop seems to have gotten rid of this feature, and it's really annoying.

If it matters, I'm running the SkyDragon 5.0.1 ROM on my HTC One M8

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dik-dik posted:

Does Lollipop have any way to disable vibrations (while still leaving the ringer and notification sounds on)? In previous versions of Android it was pretty easy to disable vibrations more or less completely, but Lollipop seems to have gotten rid of this feature, and it's really annoying.

If it matters, I'm running the SkyDragon 5.0.1 ROM on my HTC One M8
No, of course not. Why wouBZZZld anyone ever want to disBZZZable vibBZZZrations?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Dancer posted:

Can you confirm to me that I will still get updates pushed if I do that, using the stock ROM? It seems to me like it *should* be possible, but this isn't something I know a lot about.

Yep, first thing I did when I got mine out of the box was root it and I've had a couple of OTA updates since then.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

r0ck0 posted:

Give it a shot, be extra nice when you talk to them?

edit: check with your credit card to see if they double the manufacturers warranty.

In Spain (and I think the rest of the European Community) is at least 2 year warranty. 4 if is a known issue (I got an xbox360 replacement for free more than 2 years after getting a red ring of death).

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Boozie posted:

Is there a suggested App for battery life improvement? Using Superliterom on my S3.

I recommend the Mophie battery case or your favorite portable battery. The S3 just has 1900mah to work with, it's going to be inadequate no matter what.

They do sell larger batteries, but they're physically larger and come with a custom back panel so they fit.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Guillermus posted:

In Spain (and I think the rest of the European Community) is at least 2 year warranty. 4 if is a known issue (I got an xbox360 replacement for free more than 2 years after getting a red ring of death).

This must be the source of your economic superiority. You and Australia are some real hero's of consumer rights.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Boozie posted:

First make sure you don't have wakelocks. If it's staying awake with the screen off, and there's no obvious reason for it, then you probably got wakelocks. I'd get Wakelock Detector by UzumApps to find the culprit.

Assuming you just want a more general battery monitoring app, most people recommend Better Battery Stats.

If you do decide to add capacity, extended batteries are more effective than a mophie (pack or case) as you're not wasting energy charging a battery with a battery. I recommend either the huge fuckoff Zero Lemon 7000 MaH battery or a Gorilla Gadgets 4550 MaH battery, depending on how huge you are comfortable with.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Boozie posted:

When I had an s3, I found that enabling ART helped quite a bit with battery life. I also made sure to watch wake locks like a Hawk.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
How do I restore my galaxy s4 running cm11 back to stock cm11?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

How do I restore my galaxy s4 running cm11 back to stock cm11?

Boot into recovery and wipe data?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
What the gently caress is a wake lock?

I've never babied my phone's battery and I manage to keep a charge all day and plug it in at night.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Boot into recovery and wipe data?

Why did you put a question mark afterwards? You're scaring me

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Why did you put a question mark afterwards? You're scaring me

Well you said you wanted to go from CM11 to stock CM11. I'm not sure if you meant stock Samsung, or if you just want to wipe data and still be on CM11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Well you said you wanted to go from CM11 to stock CM11. I'm not sure if you meant stock Samsung, or if you just want to wipe data and still be on CM11.

Stock cm11.