Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
There is a finite amount of matter in the universe

Matter cannot be destroyed, but merely change in form

Therefore the universe will exist forever in some form

Further, the universe has always existed in some form

and thus no creator is necessary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

VitalSigns posted:

God fucks up dangerous mortals all the time. Tower of Babel, yo. You're obviously just not as smart and threatening as some dudes building a pile of mud bricks.

Look elsewhere: Christianity gives you at best David vs Goliath but polytheistic religions preach man's ability to kill, gently caress, and become gods.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Berk Berkly posted:

I'm a fan of the No Atheists in Foxholes since the one place you are sure to gain confidence in the existence of a benevolent creator is watching other human's blood and viscera exploding from their future-corpse. Well, until the big G decides the time has come for the big one to land on you of course. Hope your children like farming.

Always reminds me of this:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Blasphemous atheistic impiety? This guy's obviously treating atheism like a religion.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Blasphemous atheistic impiety? This guy's obviously treating atheism like a religion.
I too don't understand metaphor, so let me just redefine "religion" to mean "not-religion", and "God" to mean "eh, you know anything I guess" and boom, checkmate atheists looks like you're religious after all :smug:

Therefore God exists and everyone believes QED

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Kyrie eleison posted:

Maybe people are less prone to rebellion because they are happier

Maybe, but then you'd have to explain why people kept turning to heretical groups like the Cathars, the Lollards, the Fifth Monarchy Men, Calvinistsm etc,. The fact that people became somewhat less rebellious doesn't mean they fully accepted Catholicism, they just spent somewhat less time violently revolting and more time developing esoteric religious teachings that undermined the mainstream Church. Also, in many cases they still did end up revolting.

duck monster posted:

I believe the universe is not out to get me, so therefore God isn't real.

Because if God was real, he'd realise what a threat I am with my MENTAL POWERS of smartness and cunning drunkardness and try and kill me.

But nobody is trying to kill me ergo gods not real its all cool yo. So I'm off to count angels on a pin.

According to a lot of early Christian sects that are broadly grouped under the umbrella term 'gnostics' the God of the Old Testament, Yahweh or Yaldabaoth of whatever you want to call him, is actually a jail keeper, and the The Matrix has you the physical world you inhabit is actually an elaborate prison designed to prevent you from realizing your divine nature and ascending back to the higher plane of existence from which you originated.

By this reasoning you're actually an angel who has forgotten that you're an angel, and your physical body and its desires (such as drinking) are actually the fetters holding you in bondage.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I think there is an easy way to disprove the existence of God, at least the christian one, with a very simple argument: How come the creation of other planets are never discussed in the Bible? Why talk only about Earth, specifically? For all we know, there could be a similar planet to Earth out there that no one knew about before and with some form of life.

It would make christians pretty awkward if we ever found such a planet. Because it would be pretty weird for God to create two similar planets and not mention the other at all.

------------------------

Stottie Kyek talked about the devil/chaos/destructive force. We can also talk about that too and try to argue and prove if such a being exists, because if we can prove its existence, then it would prove that there are supernatural forces at play in the universe.

But like others mentioned in the thread before, energy cannot be created nor destroyed. What would be the devil's function then, exactly? But that also creates another paradox: If energy cannot be created, then God wouldn't have made it. Assuming that God exists and created the universe, it also created energy. If God created the universe and energy, it means that it can also be destroyed.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Actually the angel Moroni did disclose the existence of other worlds to a certain latter day profit. You can learn more in the documentary film "Battlestar Galactica".

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Big Scary Owl posted:

I think there is an easy way to disprove the existence of God, at least the christian one, with a very simple argument: How come the creation of other planets are never discussed in the Bible? Why talk only about Earth, specifically? For all we know, there could be a similar planet to Earth out there that no one knew about before and with some form of life.

It would make christians pretty awkward if we ever found such a planet. Because it would be pretty weird for God to create two similar planets and not mention the other at all.

------------------------

Stottie Kyek talked about the devil/chaos/destructive force. We can also talk about that too and try to argue and prove if such a being exists, because if we can prove its existence, then it would prove that there are supernatural forces at play in the universe.

But like others mentioned in the thread before, energy cannot be created nor destroyed. What would be the devil's function then, exactly? But that also creates another paradox: If energy cannot be created, then God wouldn't have made it. Assuming that God exists and created the universe, it also created energy. If God created the universe and energy, it means that it can also be destroyed.

Why would a bunch of Israelites who don't even know they're on a planet in space talk about other planets in space?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I think if God (defined as an entity that created us and still exists in some form) exists then there's several possible scenarios

1) there's more than one and they have competing interests and similar levels of power. Lack of involvement on earth is due to some kind of truce. So maybe the Gods from multiple religions exist or there's some kind of god/devil situation?

2) Gods power is pretty limited these days. Choose any reason you want. Maybe humans are literally just aspects of a God, split off from the the 'mass' only to rejoin at death?

3) humanity isn't all that unique in the universe and we aren't high on his priority list.

4) God created humans to have another group of entities with free will to interact with and is either worried that intervention on earth will diminish that or we're little more than toys to it.

5) God is more of a non sentient force (at least in the way we view sentience)

I'm an agnostic deist who simply appropriates Christian religious symbols and holidays for simplicity's sake so I find the possibilities fun to consider. They certainly aren't limited to what I've included here.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Also, be careful. If I've learned anything from my grandma's email forwards, this thread is a good way to get a navy seal who is actually Albert Einstein to randomly assault you.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Big Scary Owl posted:

Look at you trying to find out about different planets. You'd better find Planet "I don't want to burn in hell."

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I never get the whole "slam dunk" contradiction thing, since the Bible has a bunch of unreliable narrators. There is plenty of evidence within the text to make that clear, but the real smoking gun is that the holy Koran explicitly states this.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp
If the universe "just exists" without a creator, that sure would be strange! Why did the Big Bang occur out of nothing? "It just did?" And soon the universe will be ruined by the heat death, and its entire inhabitable existence will be an incidental blip from the context of eternity? How strange.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
What is strange is the universe existing at all! But if we accept that there are an infinite number of universes, well, we can't multiply a very small probability by infinity, but we can say that multiplying increasingly large numbers approaching infinity by a very small probability asymptomatically approaches certainty. We don't have to go all Copenhagen here, but if we're going to do tired arguments we may as well play with that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kyrie eleison posted:

If the universe "just exists" without a creator, that sure would be strange! Why did the Big Bang occur out of nothing? "It just did?" And soon the universe will be ruined by the heat death, and its entire inhabitable existence will be an incidental blip from the context of eternity? How strange.

And I thought I was bad at shitposting.

I had actually written out several questions for you but that would be accepting your bullshit as sincerity.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

Idk man, if "inhabitable existence" is so important then when God created earth and filled it with people to worship Him, why did He bother making billions of galaxies over such vast expanses of empty space? That's pretty strange of him to make all this extra stuff that will never be inhabited.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's really not strange that the universe exists. Or I guess what we mean when we talk about strangeness is the universe existing with natural laws and Mickey's malt liquor and so forth. But there is a whole lot of stuff out there, so some of it had to be Mickey's. QED

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Good Citizen posted:

I think if God (defined as an entity that created us and still exists in some form) exists then there's several possible scenarios

1) there's more than one and they have competing interests and similar levels of power. Lack of involvement on earth is due to some kind of truce. So maybe the Gods from multiple religions exist or there's some kind of god/devil situation?

2) Gods power is pretty limited these days. Choose any reason you want. Maybe humans are literally just aspects of a God, split off from the the 'mass' only to rejoin at death?

3) humanity isn't all that unique in the universe and we aren't high on his priority list.

4) God created humans to have another group of entities with free will to interact with and is either worried that intervention on earth will diminish that or we're little more than toys to it.

5) God is more of a non sentient force (at least in the way we view sentience)

I'm an agnostic deist who simply appropriates Christian religious symbols and holidays for simplicity's sake so I find the possibilities fun to consider. They certainly aren't limited to what I've included here.

Sounds more like alien overlords than God. Traditionally it's been claimed that the most important intervention of God in human lives is the provision and denial of Grace depending on the will of the individual. And even that can be interpreted as a natural and constant reciprocity of the spirit and the divine rather than as operating in time and space to which humans and animals are limited.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Kyrie eleison posted:

Easily less strange than any reasonable concept of a creator.

Where's your god now?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Kyrie eleison posted:

I have this idea of the greatest possible hamburger...

also see my post at the top of the page

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

What is so strange about it?

Reality is really strange. So this is in line with reality.

I mean, you will die eventually, and long before the heat death of the universe. Death is strange. But it still happens.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 4, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It'd be weird if stuff just existed with no explanation, so obviously it was all spun out of nothing by something that just exists with no explanation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

It'd be weird if stuff just existed with no explanation, so obviously it was all spun out of nothing by something that just exists with no explanation.

Turtles, all the way down.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm also agnostic, but I believe that God is the Universe. The manifestation of life is the Universe attempting to understand itself.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Why would a inanimate object or a collection of such have any need or desire to understand itself?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

WMain00 posted:

I'm also agnostic, but I believe that God is the Universe. The manifestation of life is the Universe attempting to understand itself.

That doesn't even mean anything bro

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JawKnee posted:

There is a finite amount of matter in the universe

Matter cannot be destroyed, but merely change in form

Therefore the universe will exist forever in some form

Further, the universe has always existed in some form

and thus no creator is necessary

Proposition three and four are not the same, neither are they related.

SedanChair posted:

That doesn't even mean anything bro

Hegel, bro.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Proposition three and four are not the same, neither are they related.

True. It requires the premise that matter/energy cannot be created, which is correct to the best of our knowledge.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

WMain00 posted:

So you follow the Einstein interpretation of god, in that god is simply the order of the universe at large?

Kopijeger posted:

Why would a inanimate object or a collection of such have any need or desire to understand itself?

Technically life is a collection of inanimate chemicals that through various reactions and lots of time became self aware.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

Hegel, bro.

Nah

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

quote:

So you follow the Einstein interpretation of god, in that god is simply the order of the universe at large?

Yes...I probably didn't explain myself clearly....or sounded a bit too romantic.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Is there any evidence for God existing? The Vattican likes to trot out miracles and such but those get verified by ballot not by evidence. The Christian Bible is based on an amalgamation of regional myths such as Horus, the Greek pantheon, and other things mashed together. Is there a single deity that is provable? I'm asking this earnestly even though it's the Year Of our Lord 2014.

This old chestnut is still true in every regard:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If God is omnipotent, He wouldn't have stood by while you broke all the tables

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
There is a God and it is Nothing.

Nothing is infinitely large and infinitely small. Nothing can be as large as anything else. It is subsequently smaller or larger than anything as well. Nothing is more powerful. Nothing can be ultimately destroyed but only by Nothing. Nothing can be created except only from Nothing. Thus Nothing has always existed before us and will continue to exist even after we are gone.

Everything comes from Nothing and returns to Nothing. Before your parents had the idea of your existence, you were Nothing. Birth is transition from Nothing to something. You remain something until you die and are long forgotten. Once there is no record of your existence and no myth to continue the very idea of you, you will return to Nothing. Forgetting is the transition to Nothing.

Nothing does not think for it only knows Nothing. For if it knew anything then it would be something and not Nothing. Nothing is the original paradox. Worship is useless for Nothing will respond. Nothing does not require worship to exist.

However, due to the lack of a better alternative, I worship Nothing. And it has always responded.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbzUTRAUac4

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kyrie eleison posted:

If the universe "just exists" without a creator, that sure would be strange!

Must be false then, right anime avatar fundamentalist Catholic pushing buttons that send electrical signals around the planet to post about strangeness?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Kyrie eleison posted:

If the creator of the universe "just exists" without having a cause, that sure would be strange! Why did the Creator emerge out of nothing? "It just did"? And soon the universe will be ruined by the heat death, and its entire inhabitable existence will be an incidental blip from the context of eternity? What a natural consequence of the observed properties of the universe.

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
go land on the moon and tell me the universe is awesome for life :lol:

• Locked thread