Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

I don't know, I would rather watch an entire series about Billie Piper dying of consumption than another pointless Dorian Grey scene. Just show us his loving picture already, gawd.

It's him but he's old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm watching some sort of British parody of crime procedurals, called Close Case (or at least that's the title for the French syndication).

Anyone knows what I'm talking about?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Kurtofan posted:

I'm watching some sort of British parody of crime procedurals, called Close Case (or at least that's the title for the French syndication).

Anyone knows what I'm talking about?

A Touch of Cloth

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490605

Not that I think anyone here would mind one of our own. There's some antenna calibration crap in there that might be useful to you.

My solution: Satellite HDDVR at mom's house + slingbox = free cable with intermittent skipping. (you both need a good connection and uncapped bandwidth)

Don't they still give you like rock-bottom OTA-networks-only basic cable if you have internet through the cable company? I know that used to happen a long time ago, but it's been just as long since I've gone without a cable subscription. I could've sworn I read somewhere that it was even mandated by law.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think it's more like they can't avoid it. It's delivered on the same cable and the law requires them to provide certain channels.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Don't they still give you like rock-bottom OTA-networks-only basic cable if you have internet through the cable company? I know that used to happen a long time ago, but it's been just as long since I've gone without a cable subscription. I could've sworn I read somewhere that it was even mandated by law.

I think I read they started cracking down on that and filtering it out or something, and I'm not sure it was ever the case if you weren't connected to an actual legacy type cable cable (eg comcast) for your isp. But yeah that was supposedly true at one point because it was just *on* the line regardless. They are iirc required to offer super super cheap cable plans with the barebones basics, which they do not advertise. ISPs are as well I believe. At least ones that took public money for infrastructure development.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I watched the first episode of Black Mirror, since it's on Netflix, and I feel that I can safely say I would not have watched the broadcast. But then I'm ultra squeamish when it comes to "real" things.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

less laughter posted:

A Touch of Cloth

Yep, that's the thing. I guess we can't pronounce Cloth so now it's Close.

I was putting it on the background and thought it was yet another British procedural but caught a glimpse of forensics analysts a la Bones studying the last thoughts of a person on their fancy computer and was "whaaaaat".

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Dec 4, 2014

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

Yep, that's the thing. I guess we can't pronounce Cloth so now it's Close.

I was putting it on the background and thought it was yet another British procedural but caught a glimpse of forensics analysts a la Bones studying the last thoughts of a person on their fancy computer and was "whaaaaat".

That show is 90% puns. How the hell does it translate?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

muscles like this? posted:

I watched the first episode of Black Mirror, since it's on Netflix, and I feel that I can safely say I would not have watched the broadcast. But then I'm ultra squeamish when it comes to "real" things.

The first episode of Black Mirror (the only one I've seen so far) was easily one of the most INTENSE hours of television I've ever watched.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

BSam posted:

That show is 90% puns. How the hell does it translate?

I had set the tv to English, so I can't say for sure. Most likely, they replace puns by other puns.

But they always find a way, even if it doesn't translate well.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

Also, since it is currently being discussed in two different Netflix threads, this thread, and a GPS thread, someone totally needs to make a Black Mirror thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3685795

Hope it's ok. My first OP.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Kurtofan posted:

I had set the tv to English, so I can't say for sure. Most likely, they replace puns by other puns.

A good ouiaboo should be able to understand proper english puns :colbert:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Metropolis posted:

As far as AMC goes I just hope someone, somewhere feels bad about canceling Rubicon.

A-loving-men.

I can't wait for it to come on Netflix so I can watch it again, if only out of curiosity if it was as good as I remember.

It had a few dumb things, for sure, but overall it never stopped being interesting.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Doctor Butts posted:

A-loving-men.

I can't wait for it to come on Netflix so I can watch it again, if only out of curiosity if it was as good as I remember.

It had a few dumb things, for sure, but overall it never stopped being interesting.

It's on Amazon Prime right now, so I doubt it'll ever come to Netflix. At least not for a very long time.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

AMC is fine by me.

http://deadline.com/2014/12/preacher-tv-show-comic-book-pilot-seth-rogen-evan-goldberg-amc-1201307680/

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Irish Joe posted:

A good ouiaboo should be able to understand proper english puns :colbert:

Note du traducteur: "plan" signifie "plan".

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/tv-top-10-for-2014-the-leftovers-the-americans-more/

Sepinwall put out his year end Top 10 list. I knew he liked The Leftovers, but #1 in a year with a ton of great TV? Eugh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hmmm guess I'm gonna have to check out the Leftovers after all. Were most people put off by the pacing, which isn't as big a problem in a binge session?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I skipped it for that reason. I figure I'll binge it on HBO Go eventually. That's what I did with True Detective after struggling with its pacing early on and I loved it. And I enjoyed the binged seasons of Game of Thrones way more than the ones I watched live. Those short season cable shows just work so much better that way, especially the slow paced ones, and HBO Go makes it so convenient. Hell, binging even made True Blood tolerable.

Nows the time when I tell myself that Showtime isn't HBO and this doesn't mean I should binge finish Dexter. Do not repeat the Weeds mistake, me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

People were put off because they hated lost and poorly disguised their hatred for it in a show that's completely Tonally different from it

Also they couldn't grasp the concept of a show being intentionally dark so kept complaining about how "miserable" it was

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey Occ if you're gonna post in a thread you're not allowed to post in go check out Black Mirror on Netflix and post in that one

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

hcreight posted:

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/tv-top-10-for-2014-the-leftovers-the-americans-more/

Sepinwall put out his year end Top 10 list. I knew he liked The Leftovers, but #1 in a year with a ton of great TV? Eugh.

I don't always agree with Sepinwall on things, and honestly of his whole list I only like one show. It's a bit to prestige drama heavy that said.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm allowed to post in this thread

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

sbaldrick posted:

honestly of his whole list I only like one show

Hmmmmm.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

hcreight posted:

Opinions, how do they work?

sbaldrick posted:

I don't always agree with Sepinwall on things, and honestly of his whole list I only like one show. It's a bit to prestige drama heavy that said.
Well it's the only thing people usually agree on. To be fair his list does have actual well written and performed prestige dramas on them, as there are plenty other "prestige dramas" on cable that exist that don't even come close to some network shows, nudity and profanity excluded. It's probably also his personal tastes, I mean look at what Alan has on his recap/review list, it's practically there anyway give or take.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Toxxupation posted:

People were put off because they hated lost and poorly disguised their hatred for it in a show that's completely Tonally different from it

Also they couldn't grasp the concept of a show being intentionally dark so kept complaining about how "miserable" it was

I get that you like the show but that's no reason to make poo poo up dude. Other people didn't like it because it was boring and lovely and the premise was dumb. It has nothing to do with who made it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

I get that you like the show but that's no reason to make poo poo up dude. Other people didn't like it because it was boring and lovely and the premise was dumb. It has nothing to do with who made it.

I neither saw the show nor read the thread and I know that ain't true.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IRQ posted:

It has nothing to do with who made it.

I don't think this is actually a distinction most of TV IV is capable of.

I mean you guys can't even reply to posts without being heavily influenced by who made it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think this is actually a distinction most of TV IV is capable of.

I mean you guys can't even reply to posts without being heavily influenced by who made it.

Dude Irish Joe does yet exist.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Good stuff on that list, dispite OitNB being bad.

I can't believe that the Knick doesn't fit in with this year's big buzz though, deifinitely the highlight of my year, along with fargo and Hannibal when it wasn't treading water ( if that show had 8 episode seasons it would be perfect).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Fooz posted:

Good stuff on that list, dispite OitNB being bad.

Yeah, Fargo and Louie are definitely up there with the best of the year and I know some of those other shows have a lot of critical acclaim despite being kind of bland and forgettable (Transparent, The Americans). My only qualm is the John Oliver show, which isn't even the best entry in the "comedians explain the news to stupid people" genre (that would be HBO's Vice).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

zoux posted:

I neither saw the show nor read the thread and I know that ain't true.

Which part?

Both are certainly true for me.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Krysten Ritter is Jessica Jones, Mike Colter is Luke Cage for the Netflix series.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/marvels-jessica-jones-star-krysten-753978

(The SuperheroFeed twitter confirmed Luke Cage.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

xeria posted:

Krysten Ritter is Jessica Jones, Mike Colter is Luke Cage for the Netflix series.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/marvels-jessica-jones-star-krysten-753978

Hm good for them.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

xeria posted:

Don't Trust the B---- (with superpowers) In Apt. 23

edit: Alright, now cast James van der Beek as The Purple Man.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

xeria posted:

As long as we get Where's my money honey, and Sweet Christmas.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

xeria posted:

YES.

I can't claim it's "bang-on casting" because I've never picked up those comic books, but going by what I know, I can't wait to see those two in those roles. The real question mark is going to be Melissa Rosenberg running Jessica Jones; Red Widow doesn't inspire me with a lot of confidence, but sometimes with the right backing, a guy like Craig Silverstein (who created non-starters like Terra Nova and Standoff) can turn out something like Nikita.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Colter I know from Good Wife where he plays a reserved drug lord trying to be respectable so that role doesn't give him the kind of leeway to do the broader kind of Luke Cage I'd expect.

Ritter is physically nothing like Jessica Jones who is frumpy as hell in Alias and a bit stocky, so we'll see if she has time to hit the gym and snack bar before shooting starts.

Cliff Curtis has been cast in the Walking Dead spinoff.

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Toxxupation posted:

I absolutely loved Lost. I still love Lost, it's amazing.

The Leftovers is full of lazy writing and plot lines that make no sense whatsoever. I don't give a poo poo who wrote it, it's just a bad show. The premise itself makes no goddamn sense. Everyone acts like the entire world except for 2 percent got raptured, when the exact opposite happened. Literally, 1 in 50 people are gone. Jimmy, that guy you played 3d chess with in highschool? Gone. You're 35 now, so who goddamn cares anyway.

• Locked thread