Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

katium posted:

11th Circuit rejected Florida's request to extend the stay, so barring SCOTUS intervention, Florida goes gay on January 5, 2015.

Apparently the court is also considering the state's motion for an expedited appeal, so possibly a ruling will be issued before the stay expires? (Unless I am confusing "expedited appeal" with "expedited trial.")
Well the 11th still hasn't ruled on any of these cases, so it's probably an expedited ruling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ColdPie posted:

I don't think the distinction matters, and I also find it unlikely that there are enough crazy people to make up a large component of a major political party, but none of them run for office.

Dude from Minnesota claims no insane apocalyptic Evangelicals run for office :ironicat:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

11th Circuit posted:

Having reviewed and fully considered the Motion, the parties’ briefs, and the orders issued by the District Court in the proceedings below, the Court hereby denies Appellants’ Motion. The stay of preliminary injunctions entered by the District Court expires at the end of the day on January 5, 2014.

It's like I said whenever we talked about the "which states have it and which states will have it soon": Florida's getting it either early 2015 (likeliest) or late 2015, but they're getting it in 2015. Supreme Court didn't stay any of the other states this part of the year, they won't stay Florida.

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 4, 2014

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Dude from Minnesota claims no insane apocalyptic Evangelicals run for office :ironicat:

Me or the guy I quoted? If me, I don't think you read our discussion correctly.

E: Or maybe I expressed myself poorly? He suggested that jackhole politicians are jackholes as political theater to entice voters. I said it's unlikely that there are enough crazies to be a major political force, but none of them run for office.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 4, 2014

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Look at it this way, can you imagine trying to get (re)elected to a statewide office in South Carolina as a Republican, and not being able to say "I did everything within my power to keep South Carolina free from the Gay Menace"?

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 4, 2014

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

ColdPie posted:

Or maybe I expressed myself poorly? He suggested that jackhole politicians are jackholes as political theater to entice voters. I said it's unlikely that there are enough crazies to be a major political force, but none of them run for office.

Oh duh, that's the opposite of what I thought you said. I was a bit confused because even just this past election there were a few super nutjobs who got sent to Washington.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Texas Observer had asked a bunch of county clerks what they would do if the stay were lifted

Fort Worth continue to be awful, but Dallas is a go. Travis County (Austin) says they will have extended hours, but Bexar County (San Antonio) takes the cake:

quote:

Republican Bexar County Clerk Gerhard C. “Gerry” Rickhoff said in addition to keeping his office open ’round-the-clock, he’s considering setting up tables in Main Plaza to accommodate same-sex couples. Rickhoff said he’s also lined up district judges to waive a 72-hour waiting period before ceremonies can occur, as well as officiants to conduct them.

“There’s a pent-up demand to stop these civil rights violations that are pretty evident,” Rickhoff said. “I would imagine they’ll be driving into San Antonio in droves, and that’s what we’re prepared for. Nobody will be turned away. We’ll work until there’s nobody left.”

:3:

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.
well that quote made my day. thank you Gerry.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

And that guy's a Republican? Odd.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's almost as if Republicans are people too and not just Freep stereotypes! :crossarms:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It's almost as if Republicans are people too and not just Freep stereotypes! :crossarms:

Or at least realize that they are not going to win and might as well court future voters versus alienating them

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

postmarriagetacktocentrism.txt

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

SedanChair posted:

postmarriagetacktocentrism.txt

Yes, because pointing out how a caricature is not an active reflection of political affiliation is an example of "gently caress you, got mine!" thinking. Incisive political analysis as always, SedanChair!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Franco Potente posted:

Yes, because pointing out how a caricature is not an active reflection of political affiliation is an example of "gently caress you, got mine!" thinking. Incisive political analysis as always, SedanChair!

Well it is something that you'd expect from someone with a 15 year olds worldview so...

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

FlamingLiberal posted:

He might be one of those old-school Republicans that actually believed in things like the constitution and limited government interference in private lives.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Consider how much people thought Oklahoma, Virginia, South Carolina, etc would be some of the last states to allow it. Even in Texas, being beaten in the equality department by those states has to be stinging at least a few people.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Chris James 2 posted:

Consider how much people thought Oklahoma, Virginia, South Carolina, etc would be some of the last states to allow it. Even in Texas, being beaten in the equality department by those states has to be stinging at least a few people.

To be fair it's not like any of them made a choice, it's all about the judges' timing.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Well it is something that you'd expect from someone with a 15 year olds worldview so...

People who use the terminal "so" are insufferable.

But Rickhoff does seem to be a very capable and principled administrator. All the articles about him online praise his reforms and attention to detail.

Here's an interesting article from a while back

http://www.sacurrent.com/sanantonio/glitter-political-the-eyes-of-gerry-rickhoff-are-upon-you/Content?oid=2250073

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
Considering the ridiculousness of the modern Republican party, it's extremely unusual to see a member in a position of power in Texas take such a fiercely positive stance toward equality. To pretend that he's not an exception is delusional.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Thesoro posted:

Considering the ridiculousness of the modern Republican party, it's extremely unusual to see a member in a position of power in Texas take such a fiercely positive stance toward equality. To pretend that he's not an exception is delusional.

:allears:

You spelled Rethuglican wrong.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

It's really unreasonable to say that Republicans were against marriage equality, and to equate their position to homophobia. They simply wanted to make sure the nation was ready before undertaking a social experiment of that nature. Redefining the sacred institution of marriage is a major step, and I'm sorry if some of you want to rush ahead into some kind of crazy law that lets you marry a box turtle, but I for one am thankful for the caution shown on the part of Republican lawmakers.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Not seeing a lot of Rs in here.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Yeah, it's not like the party was made up of a group of gibbering idiots as recently as February of last year or anything...

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Freudian posted:

some of you want to rush ahead into some kind of crazy law that lets you marry a box turtle,

Finally, it's revealed, the TRUE Gay Agenda!™ :freep:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Maybe if you flack for them enough, they'll all come over to you and it'll just be Ted Cruz by himself on the other side. Keep hope in your heart!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Thesoro posted:

The position of big city mayor has very different incentives, though. Especially in a state as business-obsessed as Texas, the first and foremost thing every candidate for a big city mayor position has to do is swear to do everything possible to attract companies to their city, increase the tax base by bringing in desirable people and new jobs etc. Homophobia has become toxic for that argument: any company with a gay guy on its board of directors will likely go "no thanks, let's try somewhere else" if the mayor of a city they're considering relocating to goes all George Wallace in blocking off marriage licenses by standing in the hallway. Statewide candidates have very different incentives, as they're running more ideological races that aren't centered the same sort of issues. Also, of course, rural politicians like Louis Gohmert are a totally different ballgame as well.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
:argh:

N4I, you seem to hold the belief that anyone who acknowledges the Republican Party's extremely lovely attitudes toward marriage equality (and the relative uncommonness of Republicans who don't share those attitudes) is an immature teenager.

Patter Song posted:

The position of big city mayor has very different incentives,
The guy we're talking about is a county clerk. His incentives have nothing to do with what you posted.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I may have my disagreements with the Republicans, but it's important to remember that at the end of the day, they're just human beings like the rest of us, and it isn't fair to hold them up as some bunch of cackling supervillains constantly threatening evil schemes like holding the world economy hostage, or shutting down the government.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

You are being intentionally obtuse on this dude.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

You all are right. The many many conservatives I know who are in favor of marriage equality are figments of my imagination.

Conservatives delenda est!

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Literally in this thread: "It's notable and unusual for an elected Republican to be pro-gay because the party line has been unambiguously homophobic for decades" "YOU RETARD WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU KNOW ABOUT POLITICS YOU loving TEENAGER LEARN SOME SCHOOL"

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

You all are right. The many many conservatives I know who are in favor of marriage equality are figments of my imagination.

Conservatives delenda est!
1. Conservatives != Republicans. The Republican Party Platform explicitly states opposition to marriage equality.
2. Many != Majority. Your friends are exceptions. Good exceptions! I have conservative friends who support marriage equality too! I'm in my 20s, everyone I know supports marriage equality, liberal or conservative! The fact that you know some people does not change the statistical fact that most conservatives oppose marriage equality.
3. You're being an idiot.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Sorry guys, I'm being delusional :rolleye:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I have conservative friends who fully support my right to marry.

The problem is they don't hold office.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

You are, because you think the fact that you have pro-equality conservative friends means that the major conservative party doesn't overwhelmingly oppose marriage equality.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I'm glad you have the grace to concede the point and apologise. It's rare on the internet.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Freudian posted:

I'm glad you have the grace to concede the point and apologise. It's rare on the internet.

Could you imagine how not lovely D&D would be if this demand for logical consistency were evenly applied across all viewpoints? :allears:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

That's not very conservative mister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Can we all stop the infighting and just laugh at Republicans?

• Locked thread