Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
A girl I went to high school with is going to kill someone this winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I just reply with: "You have 4wheel skid." :v:

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

xzzy posted:

If you want to risk a ticket to save a couple seconds, go right ahead because it's not a giant hazard.

But gliding right through a stop sign with no brakes all is kind of bullshit.

I'm going to make an effort to curb the habit, since the expected value of the car wear saved is definitely negated by the probability of a future ticket that will outweigh that amount.

I tap the brakes. I'll try to come to a complete stop, but I don't like the way the law is written. It's all about revenue generation and promotes anti-efficient driving, and not coming to a complete stop when you have total visibility has close to zero safety impact. Stop signs are objectively overused by the local DOT here.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I will completely stop if Im driving an automatic, but when Im driving stick slowing down and rolling is so much better.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Another problem is if you approach the 4-way stop at the same time as another car. By law, right of way goes to the person who stops first, not the first person in the general vicinity. When people don't come to a stop regularly, this creates some strange ambiguities from time to time.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Michael Scott posted:

When my route involves a ton of 4-way stops, I rarely make much of an effort to stop at them. Saves significant time/wear on the car, and I'm going slowly enough to see that no car is approaching on any side. Screw 4-way stops at every intersection.

I'm definitely getting a fat-rear end ticket someday which will negate this point. :( It's a bad habit.

When I was 17, I got my very first ticket for a rolling stop less than a block from my house. That lesson has stuck with me for over 30 years of driving and I still stop completely at every stop sign. It's saved me a few times when I've stopped, turned, and then in the mirror see a police officer parked down the road waiting for stop sign violators.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

I'm going to make an effort to curb the habit, since the expected value of the car wear saved is definitely negated by the probability of a future ticket that will outweigh that amount.

It's even more outweighed by the expense, injury, and risk caused by getting into an accident because you blow a stop sign the one time you don't notice someone in the intersection, or don't notice someone coming across the other way doing the exact same stupid poo poo you're doing.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
In driver's ed, the girl I was in the car with rolled a red turning right, and the instructor jammed on his brake to stop the car. Her excuse? "My dad said it was ok to not come to a complete stop if a car isn't coming." Riding with her once a week was scary. Especially on days when it was slippery since I took that course in the winter.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
I think where you drive has the biggest impact on your habits for instance im on long island for the most part i feel like 75% of other drivers are actively trying to kill me . On the roads im extremely aggressive but I come to a dead stop at every stop sign and triple check that its clear. Growing up in a house on a corner street that dead ends on one side with a stop sign going on the that road ive seen too many accidents to count where people just blew through the sign while making a left on the road and head on colliding with another car.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I loving hate high traffic 4-way stops so much. . . Just this morning, I pulled up to a 4-way stop, a semi was making a tight left turn, it was taking a while, so 3 assholes behind this semi decided the law meant that they had waited long enough they could just say "gently caress off" to everyone who had the right away and proceeded to just follow the semi the whole way through extending the amount of time I was stopped at the 4-way. Of course, so many people cant loving remember who arrived first so determining whose turn it is usually ends up just being a game of chicken to see who can go first. Because the vehicle I drive accelerates slower than a Mercedes Diesel, that meant I got half way through the intersection when McAsshole in a BMW decided to gun it right in front of me forcing me to slam on my brakes and apply the horn.

jamal posted:

In driver's ed, the girl I was in the car with rolled a red turning right, and the instructor jammed on his brake to stop the car. Her excuse? "My dad said it was ok to not come to a complete stop if a car isn't coming." Riding with her once a week was scary. Especially on days when it was slippery since I took that course in the winter.
My wife once stated that she thought you didn't have to stop at all if you're making a right on red. :suicide: Luckily, she prefers to have me do most of the driving.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I used to be a stickler for full stop even if no one was around, but I've eased up over time. Obviously full stop if anyone can see me, even if its just pedestrians hanging around, but empty suburban neighborhoods late at night I roll slowly through. I did get my first stop light camera ticket earlier this year for slowly rolling a right on red at night. I thought those things just flashed photos when you went straight through, but sure enough the ticket linked me to a nice little flv video file. A 4:3 flv file? What is this, 2005?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The entire issue appears to centre on the insistence of using stop signs in a huge number of instances where a give way/yield sign would be more appropriate.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Another problem is if you approach the 4-way stop at the same time as another car. By law, right of way goes to the person who stops first, not the first person in the general vicinity. When people don't come to a stop regularly, this creates some strange ambiguities from time to time.

There is no ambiguity. If you both stop at the same time in Alberta, the right of way goes to the person on your right (in a perpendicular-stop situation).

If you somehow end up in the hellish situation of four people arriving at the same time then you can start waving like a retard to indicate which person goes first, but if this happens for long enough the natural flow of traffic will set up a cadence for which the time-based right of way system will work so long as nobody fucks it up and forces the sequence to reset (which happens at all red-flash intersections in this godforsaken city).

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 4, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There is no ambiguity. If you both stop at the same time in Alberta, the right of way goes to the person on your right (in a perpendicular-stop situation).

Only applies if you both actually stop, though.

Also, lol if you think people know they need to stop when the lights are out! I nearly got hit by some jackass who sailed straight through the night of that big downtown electrical fire, and I came close a few times to the being hit in the same situation when the lights were out after the big flood.

InitialDave posted:

The entire issue appears to centre on the insistence of using stop signs in a huge number of instances where a give way/yield sign would be more appropriate.

Very, very true. Or, in some cases, a set of lights.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Cage posted:

I will completely stop if Im driving an automatic, but when Im driving stick slowing down and rolling is so much better.

this bit a lot of people in my rural town when a CHP officer (we are nowhere near a highway, but they love coming around, hanging out in the small towns, and giving people tickets for going 40 on a 35-mph road which everyone drives 40 on) decided to start hanging out in a tiny side street in our rural town and give people $700 tickets for rolling through a 3-way stop (which is basically a 2-way because almost nobody ever uses the tiny street segment).

everybody rolls through that stop sign. or at least, they did. I try not to.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 4, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I've lived near stop signs like that.

When an intersection becomes a cash flow for the local cops, that's a good sign that someone needs to come through and do a study of the area to find out if the design makes sense anymore. Adjust the stop signs to keep traffic moving, realign roads to encourage drivers to go somewhere else.. anything.

Don't just keep cashing in just because it's the easy thing to do. It's loving lazy and keeps the road network from serving its intended purpose.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

Yeah, I've lived near stop signs like that.

When an intersection becomes a cash flow for the local cops, that's a good sign that someone needs to come through and do a study of the area to find out if the design makes sense anymore. Adjust the stop signs to keep traffic moving, realign roads to encourage drivers to go somewhere else.. anything.

Don't just keep cashing in just because it's the easy thing to do. It's loving lazy and keeps the road network from serving its intended purpose.

it's not even a cash flow for the local cops, because the sherrif's deputies like to stay on peoples' good side and know better than that. I don't know how this sort of thing works, but it's just one or two CHP officers either deciding on their own to stake out there or being sent to do it for whatever reason.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

atomicthumbs posted:

my rural town

Penngrove?

E: VVV Yo what's with all the north bay posters all of a sudden

Raluek fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 5, 2014

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Dashcam time! Fixie with no lights decides to hang out in an intersection while the light is against him. Watch closely and you can see his front wheel waggling back and forth as he tries not to fall over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUMsetRgfPA

I trimmed the video so as to not subject you to more Loveline, ut that did cut out him blowing through two stop signs before this.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 5, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Raluek posted:

Penngrove?

Woodacre, CA. Rural-ish.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Watch closely and you can see his front wheel waggling back and forth as he tries not to fall over.

Why the hell do cyclists do this? It seems like half the time I pass someone biking on a city street they're wiggling around and making me afraid they'll fall in front of my car. The other half they're dressed in Spandex on a road bike.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

Why the hell do cyclists do this? It seems like half the time I pass someone biking on a city street they're wiggling around and making me afraid they'll fall in front of my car. The other half they're dressed in Spandex on a road bike.

They use clipless pedals that attach your shoes to the bike so it's much more of a pain in the rear end to take your feet off and put them back on.

But yeah watching somebody wiggle around like an idiot as you drive up next to them is pretty stressful.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Galler posted:

This morning the loving troglodyte in front of me decided to come to a complete stop at the very end of an on ramp instead of just merging into the perfect gap that was available to them. They also ignored the next gap while they were slowing down. They didn't even need to force their way in, the other lane had spaced out perfectly for the line of cars coming down the ramp to zipper in. Literally all they had to do was maintain their speed and direction and they would have merged perfectly. Then the idiot sat there and waited until there were no cars on the horizon before finally proceeding. Once they finally got going again they proceeded to tailgate whatever vehicle was in front of them for the next 10 miles.

Hey man they were running late because all the jerkoffs on the highway wouldn't let them into traffic :downs:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Raluek posted:

idk what to tell you, i've been reading this thread for ages man

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Ok can someone finally clarify this for me. Is it legal for (off-duty) police officers to direct/stop traffic for a private business? Like directing traffic from a Chick-fil-a onto a major street?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PaganGoatPants posted:

Ok can someone finally clarify this for me. Is it legal for (off-duty) police officers to direct/stop traffic for a private business? Like directing traffic from a Chick-fil-a onto a major street?

Yeah it's quite common where I live (Ohio .) It's usually fast food restaurants during lunch time and megachurches after services.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
You can rent a NYPD officer for a nominal rate and is in fact a requirement for gatherings over a certain size that require a license in lieu of private security officers.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Crotch Fruit posted:

My wife once stated that she thought you didn't have to stop at all if you're making a right on red. :suicide: Luckily, she prefers to have me do most of the driving.

I stupidly thought this when I first started driving too. First time I drove with my mom after getting my permit, I tried doing this and she lost her mind. Now I obviously know better.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

atomicthumbs posted:

Woodacre, CA. Rural-ish.

It's called track standing, because at races at a track (velodrome), they start while clipped into both pedals, although usually there is a guy to hold them up. I do it sometimes because being able to keep yourself upright stopped or at very low speeds is helpful for mountain biking up steep technical stuff. but not in the middle of intersections. And I use lights. And don't blow through stop signs.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

idk what to tell you, i've been reading this thread for ages man

It's just a bit weird for me 'cause I grew up in Petaluma and I didn't think there was much of a norcal AI presence, and those that I was aware of have been south bay. Plus Pham in Livermore.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

I can't tell if this is malice, apathy, incompetence or a mix of the three. My only regret is I no longer drive a car narrow enough to squeeze in there without also blocking the Fiat driver's door.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

jammyozzy posted:

I can't tell if this is malice, apathy, incompetence or a mix of the three. My only regret is I no longer drive a car narrow enough to squeeze in there without also blocking the Fiat driver's door.

I'd chalk that up to "door dings on MY SWEET 206 BRAH are unacceptable, so it's cool for me to park like a jackass so no one can park close to me."

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

jammyozzy posted:

There was a guy in a BRAND NEW CHARGER that kept parking like this in the two spots right in front of the door in the hotel we were staying at on a business trip. My coworker and I decided to discourage him. I parked my ratty spray-painted rashed ammo-can-saddlebag motorcycle nice and square in the center of the parking spot, which was about a foot from his driver's door. The coworker parked his '01 silver-and-primer rashed-panel impala tight in the other space. Wheels on the line, but a technically legal parking job. Again, about a foot from the other door.

We don't know how he got out; my bike was unmoved, and his car had no obvious marks. Guy stopped parking across the lines in those spaces; he went to the other side of the lot to do it.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

There was a guy in a BRAND NEW CHARGER that kept parking like this in the two spots right in front of the door in the hotel we were staying at on a business trip. My coworker and I decided to discourage him. I parked my ratty spray-painted rashed ammo-can-saddlebag motorcycle nice and square in the center of the parking spot, which was about a foot from his driver's door. The coworker parked his '01 silver-and-primer rashed-panel impala tight in the other space. Wheels on the line, but a technically legal parking job. Again, about a foot from the other door.

We don't know how he got out; my bike was unmoved, and his car had no obvious marks. Guy stopped parking across the lines in those spaces; he went to the other side of the lot to do it.

One of the great pleasures in life is sending a clear, distinct message to someone you've never even seen without saying a word to them, and then having them receive it loud and clear, and maybe even think "Hm, I don't know what came over me there but I was being a bit of a cock". It's like when I'm out delivering a paper route, and there's a customer who always wants their paper in the tube, except it's stuffed with like 9 days worth of papers. I toss that poo poo on the driveway and lo, the next day the tube is empty! Except when I get back to the office and there's an angry voicemail. Then I get to call them back and tell them in no uncertain terms they're a loving moron.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Oh, I'm a YOSPOSter who beep boops in this thread for laffos and schadenfreude

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 8, 2017

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dashcam time! Fixie with no lights decides to hang out in an intersection while the light is against him. Watch closely and you can see his front wheel waggling back and forth as he tries not to fall over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUMsetRgfPA

I trimmed the video so as to not subject you to more Loveline, ut that did cut out him blowing through two stop signs before this.

What I find most amusing about this video is that it saved him at most a second or two and required him to do that awful wobble back and forth track stand poo poo in the middle of the intersection. I really don't get the sort of biker that does that poo poo.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

They use clipless pedals that attach your shoes to the bike so it's much more of a pain in the rear end to take your feet off and put them back on.

But yeah watching somebody wiggle around like an idiot as you drive up next to them is pretty stressful.

But it isn't a pain! Doing what that idiot did is much more annoying than putting a foot down. Also if you are doing city riding you really should be using double sided pedals which are pretty much stomp and go.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Shifty Pony posted:

But it isn't a pain! Doing what that idiot did is much more annoying than putting a foot down. Also if you are doing city riding you really should be using double sided pedals which are pretty much stomp and go.

I just use egg beaters, can't miss that poo poo.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Crosspost from osha.jpg

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Crosspost from osha.jpg

Is that lashed to the body panels, and not any story part of the frame?

...wow.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
How the gently caress did he get it up there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Its ok guys, he let some air out of the tires.