Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Few pixels here and there? I thought the whole sensor are supposed to be made of those pixels. I realize that they're just used in video mode, but when messing around with the photosites, you may aswell start introducing new tech alongside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

PDAF sensor just give up a few pixels here and there to the AF, its unrelated to iq.

That's the 'hybrid cmos af' t4i/t5i/m/sl1 sensor. The 70d and 7dm2 it's the whole sensor having each pixel split into two for phase detect.

Edit: it's not just video mode CombatPretzel - live view stills also use the dual pixel AF

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Is it as fast as the dedicated AF module? If so, I'm surprised there aren't plans for a mirrorless DSLR-sized body with EVF yet.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is it as fast as the dedicated AF module? If so, I'm surprised there aren't plans for a mirrorless DSLR-sized body with EVF yet.

I think lab tests have shown it as being ever so slightly slower , but it's imperceptible to me. It's also ultra consistent accuracy wise, and works with f/11 lens and extender combos. The only real downside is that it doesn't do servo style stills tracking yet , but I'm sure they'll get the software there eventually. It can do continuous focus , but when you hit the shutter it does a final lock so it's not true servo.

As far as being surprised they didn't use it for the M2 or some other mirrorless endeavor yet, join the club.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Sony makes all sorts of cameras like that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

timrenzi574 posted:

As far as being surprised they didn't use it for the M2 or some other mirrorless endeavor yet, join the club.
That's because they didn't want to actually sell mirrorless cameras.

That's cool about the whole-sensor PDAF, I didn't know that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If it's about their EF lens catalog, ditching the mirror while keeping the format would probably have worked fine. It'd have been a step further than where Sony wanted to go with their SLTs, but hasn't yet.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The problem is that good PDAF lenses aren't necessarily good mirrorless lenses, and the flange distance kills the #1 reason to go mirrorless in the first place: lower financial/physical footprint.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Found a deal today that would let me trade from a t3i to a 5D classic. Down the road I'd like to upgrade from that as well, but in the meantime if I have several lenses I can still use with it and I don't use video, would that be a downgrade at all?

Long term I'd love to switch to full frame, but don't want to hamstring myself in the short term.

*edit* I also only use center point autofocus, would there be much difference there?

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 1, 2014

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Bob Mundon posted:

Found a deal today that would let me trade from a t3i to a 5D classic. Down the road I'd like to upgrade from that as well, but in the meantime if I have several lenses I can still use with it and I don't use video, would that be a downgrade at all?

Long term I'd love to switch to full frame, but don't want to hamstring myself in the short term.

*edit* I also only use center point autofocus, would there be much difference there?

You won't be able to use EF-S lenses with a 5D and the 5D does not have video (that was introduced with the 5D2). So if you have the 18-55mm, 55-250mm EF-S lenses they wouldn't be compatible with the 5D.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

geeves posted:

You won't be able to use EF-S lenses with a 5D and the 5D does not have video (that was introduced with the 5D2). So if you have the 18-55mm, 55-250mm EF-S lenses they wouldn't be compatible with the 5D.

Would be keeping my 50 1.8 and Tamron 70-300 VC, and picking up a 85 1.8 in the deal, so I'd only be losing my wide angle, and trading in a couple other lenses. Given that, and that I don't shot video at all, and mainly shoot portraits, any reason not to pull the trigger?

And like I said, the goal long term is to switch to full frame anyway, I just wanted to make sure body wise I'm not taking a step back beyond a couple of bells and whistles I don't really use.

*edit* And pulled the trigger. Trading T3i, Tamron 17-50 (I'll miss you), and 60mm Macro for 5D Classic and 85 1.8. Still have my 50 1.8 and 70-300, so pretty jazzed about making the switch over to full frame. Have to figure out something on the wide end one of these days, but I don't use wide angle as much as normal or longer. Is not having a self-cleaning sensor a big deal? I kind of wonder if that's real to begin with though.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 1, 2014

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I went from a t3i to a 5D and it was a great decision.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Any additional problems with sensor dust?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

It's a given that you're going to get more dust on a 5D sensor. I cleaned mine whenever it got bad enough for me to notice, every six months or so I guess. Ymmv.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
I live around Reno, so I could see it needing it semi regularly. What works well for that?

*edit* Just realized I now have a great excuse to own a 40mm pancake. Bonus.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 2, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Just as I made the bid for the competition, first rumors crop up about Canon taking mirrorless seriously and wanting to throw a fullframe MILC on the market in 2015. :toot:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Bob Mundon posted:

Any additional problems with sensor dust?

Yep! I traded in my t3i for a 5D Classic and was eventually horrified at the dust situation. But I bought some swabs and cleaned it pretty easily.

It's a lovely camera though, for the price.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Combat Pretzel posted:

Just as I made the bid for the competition, first rumors crop up about Canon taking mirrorless seriously and wanting to throw a fullframe MILC on the market in 2015. :toot:

Haha I was in the mirrorless thread looking at the competition as well.

Would this mean we could use the same lenses on their mirrorless offering? Or is this gonna be a wait and see kind of deal.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No idea. I'd expect them to honor their existing lens catalog. If there's going to be a new mount, it'll probably ship with an adapter in the box. I mean, if it's indeed due for 2015, I doubt they'll have a decent lens catalog on a new mount to start with. Maybe it'll be a body keeping the register distance, while minimizing it's depth with clever component placement.

That said, I'm going to sick with my A7II order. Gonna adapt the lenses, so I'm quickly switched back with some small loss, if they release something spectacular.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 3, 2014

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

No idea. I'd expect them to honor their existing lens catalog.
Have you heard of EOS?

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Reminder that Canon created a new lens mount literally 2 years ago and did not, in fact, ship an adapter in the box.

Also FD never forget.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
When they ditched FD, they were taking a risk to try and steal the pro market away from Nikon. They aren't exactly in the same position nowadays, so I would not expect a repeat of that.

Edit: Maybe if they waited until 2025 to release a serious mirrorless system and their MomSLR business had been whittled away to nothing? They'd sort of be in that position then.

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 3, 2014

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
My primary concern with mirrorless is that I'm not sure I'd ever want to ditch a full "through the lens" viewfinder now that I've experienced it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EVF is still through the lens tho.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

evil_bunnY posted:

Have you heard of EOS?
Any less vague? --edit: Forgot an M?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

EVF is still through the lens tho.

Shows how much I know about this when it comes to professional cameras. I assumed you'd be getting a backmounted LCD and maybe a 'standard' viewfinder. That makes much more sense!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Any less vague? --edit: Forgot an M?
The broke backwards comp going to EOS. They made an adapter for EOS-M though.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
So my job is looking for a camera for photos and light video stuff (mostly short interviews etc.). They've currently decided on the Canon 70D and Tamron 17-50 (not sure if it's the VC version or not). They've asked for my advice but since I don't really know much I thought I'd check with you people. They're looking for a crop sensor Canon because they want to use an older lens as well and because full frame is probably too expensive and not necessary for their stuff.

Is that a decent setup at that price point? If not, what are some better options? VC or no VC?

Can anyone also recommend a somewhat reasonable microphone and flash combo?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yes and VC is usually not super necessary but it owns for video.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Just realized with the incoming 5D, can it export by usb or do I need to get a compact flash reader really quick like?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Bob Mundon posted:

Just realized with the incoming 5D, can it export by usb or do I need to get a compact flash reader really quick like?

Just get a USB 3. card reader and be done with it.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

By my cursory search, it appears that there are no first-party teleconverters for EF-S lenses. Is this because teleconverted EF-S lenses come with significant downsides?

flummox
Jul 17, 2004
I want a shoehorn, the kind with teeth.

Bob Mundon posted:

It can export via usb but it's very slow. It can do tethered capture too, but the driver only runs on 32-bit machines.

flummox
Jul 17, 2004
I want a shoehorn, the kind with teeth.
I'd also like to add that my new 7D is really helping me appreciate what a loving great still camera the 5D was.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

SMERSH Mouth posted:

By my cursory search, it appears that there are no first-party teleconverters for EF-S lenses. Is this because teleconverted EF-S lenses come with significant downsides?

There's no ef-s superteles , so not much reason for a teleconverter.

Edit: No 3rd party TC's will fit EF-s lenses either btw, so don't waste your money if you were under the impression one would. The only EF-S lens it kindof makes sense to use a TC on is the 60mm macro, if you're looking to increase the working distance - you can do that if you put an extension tube in between the lens and TC.

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 5, 2014

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

flummox posted:

I'd also like to add that my new 7D is really helping me appreciate what a loving great still camera the 5D was.

Ouch!

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

I have a friend visiting who has brought a 5D mk 2 with them. Holy crap I never realised how much more dynamic range you get on a full frame camera. My 500D looks like a point and shoot in comparison.

I mean I could never justify the expense as I'm hobbyist level at best, but it was nice to play with the top end of the market for an hour or two.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
You can pick them up for around $1100 now used...

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Now imagine if you were shooting instead on any recent Nikon or Sony body, your mind would be blown :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Full frame sensors in competing bodies generally offer a couple more stops yeah. It was a real eye opener when I first looked at d800 files in person, and pretty much the reason I went with it instead of another DX body.