Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

neonchameleon posted:

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Translation: Timothy, stop trying to throw parts of the bible out. Everything is something someone will find useful. (Including this letter to you).

Yep. Don't throw out parts of the Bible, all scripture is divinely inspired. Seems to be the point that Biblical Literalists make. I know you're trying to wiggle here and make it about how something might be useful to someone, but that's not supported by the text, only your own attempts at justification.

neonchameleon posted:

I'm going to take this from verse 10 to 14. Context matters.

10 Ye are witnesses, and God also, how holily and justly and unblameably we behaved ourselves among you that believe:
11 As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children,
12 That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.
13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.
14 For ye, brethren, became followers of the churches of God which in Judaea are in Christ Jesus: for ye also have suffered like things of your own countrymen, even as they have of the Jews:"

As is blatantly obvious, this is not actually a passage about the bible. It's about what is being taught by missionaries.

Missionaries are teaching _________? Fill in the blank here. (Answer: The Bible)

neonchameleon posted:

20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

And this is, I think, about early gnosticism. There are no secret prophecies or scriptures. And everything is useful - but the book was still written by people.

7 The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.
8 The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9 The fear of the Lord is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether."

Isn't actually talking about the Bible.

You can state that it isn't all you want, but according to Biblical Literalists, the Bible is the law of the Lord. You can try to nitpick and make spurious claims, but they don't actually pan out. Nor are they relevant to this discussion.

neonchameleon posted:

17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

Again isn't actually about the bible. It's a much better basis for Holy Tradition and preaching.

If the Bible is the word of God, as Biblical Literalists believe (and with some support from the text itself) then it is about the Bible.

neonchameleon posted:

Again, I'm going to add more verses for context:

13 For when God made promise to Abraham, because he could swear by no greater, he sware by himself,
14 Saying, Surely blessing I will bless thee, and multiplying I will multiply thee.
15 And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise.
16 For men verily swear by the greater: and an oath for confirmation is to them an end of all strife.
17 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:
18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:
19 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;
20 Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.

Once again this isn't actually about the bible. That the bible claims that God is perfect is not in dispute. That God is claimed to have inspired the writing of the bible isn't in dispute. But this doesn't mean that the bible, written by people, is perfect unless those people are without sin.

It also does not dismiss the idea that the scripture was inspired in a way so as to make it perfect. It is perfectly logical to assume that an omnipotent being could have had a perfect Bible, and that is what Biblical Literalists believe. It is supported in the text by these passages. You can claim it isn't about the Bible, that's fine, but in terms of a literal interpretation of the Bible, these verses are used to support it. You seem to think these are my arguments - they're not, I merely linked them because that one guy had apparently never read the Bible, or was unaware of how the text could be shown to support Biblical Literalism.

neonchameleon posted:

4 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Seriously? You're saying that that is proof that the bible claims to be infallible. And that there's no junk food in there? Riiiight

Yeah, every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God is what man needs - once again, these are not really my arguments, just arguments that I have seen used to promote Biblical Literalism.

neonchameleon posted:

And don't try a Gish Gallop, assuming no one is going to check your sources and find none of them say what you claim. Half-assed bombardment with sources simply doesn't work on the internet. Not one of your sources clearly claims what you say it does.

Thanks for mockingly linking Gish Gallop, I am somehow completely unaware of it, despite having been arguing in a thread based on Theology, and also participating in both the Conservapedia and Freep threads.

neonchameleon posted:

And when you're talking about "protestant beliefs" you're in a minefield. A lot of protestants, especially those denominations that were strongly influenced by The First Great Awakening do and there are reasons for that (and very bad ones at that). Educated Roman Catholic sources knew the bible wasn't literally true since before Galileo (who had the pope as one of his sponsors until he was too much of a git and his enemies found an excuse to take revenge). The Catholic claim is that the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church can not be false over a long period of time in matters of faith and morals. (Which is how they painted themselves into a corner over contraception with Humanae Vitae, but I digress).

Absolutely, I agree. However, for the discussion in this thread (a thing you seem to be unable to comprehend?) we were discussing Biblical Literacy as the source for the OP's dismissal of all other faiths, and his reversion to Pascal's Wager as his fallback plan to avoid Hell. The OP decided to somewhat recant from a Literalist perspective after my post with sources that are, have been, and will continue to be used to promote Biblical Literalism. You're not arguing with a Christian, you're just making yourself look poorly educated on this topic. These specific verses, and others, have been used for a very long time to push a Literalist perspective, so when someone asked where in the Bible it says that it is true, I pointed to where those people who have a dog in this fight point to. I don't care, I'm not a Christian, I'm only pointing at what Christians point out in their own discussions. We're sort of all debating through various puppets here, because this topic is so ridiculous in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The people writing those letters didn't know it'd become part of scripture because that was only decided later based on what theology was more politically advantageous to the Roman state. When Paul is telling Timothy about the infallibility of God's scripture, he's not talking about the letter he's writing in that moment.

Edit: I mean you could say that God knew and He was inspiring Paul to say that, but if that's the case why didn't God shortcut all this confusion by having Paul tell us what books are canon and what aren't so you don't get holy wars and schisms both in the early church and later on when Protestants decided some books "didn't count"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 4, 2014

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

The people writing those letters didn't know it'd become part of scripture because that was only decided later based on what theology was more politically advantageous to the Roman state. When Paul is telling Timothy about the infallibility of God's scripture, he's not talking about the letter he's writing in that moment.

Edit: I mean you could say that God knew and He was inspiring Paul to say that, but if that's the case why didn't God shortcut all this confusion by having Paul tell us what books are canon and what aren't so you don't get holy wars and schisms both in the early church and later on when Protestants decided some books "didn't count"

Right but within the context of an omniscient, omnipotent deity, it is perfectly acceptable to state that God did know, and thusly they should be included in the Literalist canon as well. Like I said, these aren't my arguments, they just are arguments that can be supported by using the text.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I addressed that in my second paragraph, which requires believing that God simultaneously told us unambiguously His Scriptures are inerrant, but then curiously neglected to mention which documents actually count as scripture, setting the stage for centuries of bloodshed.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

God is the Utility Monster, IMO

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

Holy poo poo!

:tipshat:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

gee, yep

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

V. Illych L. posted:

He is both the devil, and the saint

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

nucleicmaxid posted:

Yep. Don't throw out parts of the Bible, all scripture is divinely inspired. Seems to be the point that Biblical Literalists make. I know you're trying to wiggle here and make it about how something might be useful to someone, but that's not supported by the text, only your own attempts at justification.

That's because so-called Biblical Literalists don't read what the bible is actually saying. Context matters. And you're spinning like crazy here. You said that the bible claims to be infallible. It doesn't. It claims that scripture is useful. A much lower standard.

The problem here is that so-called biblical literalists claim that the bible claims things that it doesn't. And you were claiming that the bible made these false claims.

quote:

Missionaries are teaching _________? Fill in the blank here. (Answer: The Bible)

Bzzt. Wrong. Their version of Christianity .

quote:

You can state that it isn't all you want, but according to Biblical Literalists, the Bible is the law of the Lord. You can try to nitpick and make spurious claims, but they don't actually pan out. Nor are they relevant to this discussion.

Biblical Literalists should be little more credible on the subject of the bible than Creationists are about science. That none of their sources actually claim that the bible itself is more than useful is just one of their spurious claims that you appear to have swallowed.

quote:

It also does not dismiss the idea that the scripture was inspired in a way so as to make it perfect.

Oh, indeed. It does not dismiss the claim. It doesn't make it either. There are very few passages that dismiss the idea that scripture is perfect. So you could open the bible to a verse at random and it would be just as relevant as the one you posted for demonstrating that the bible claims to be infallible. I.e. not at all.

quote:

You seem to think these are my arguments - they're not, I merely linked them because that one guy had apparently never read the Bible, or was unaware of how the text could be shown to support Biblical Literalism.

I seem to think that you were replying to someone asking "Where, pray tell, does the Bible claim [to be infallible]?" Simple answer: it doesn't. And not one single one of your verses was a counter-example. People who want to claim the bible is infallible can then misuse bible verses to claim it supports this mistake (2 Timothy being a particular favourite of theirs). But the core claim does not come from the Bible itself. It comes from the reader.

quote:

Yeah, every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God is what man needs - once again, these are not really my arguments, just arguments that I have seen used to promote Biblical Literalism.

And I've seen an idiot claim John 1:1-3 also used to promote Biblical Literalism, claiming that the Word was God and was the Bible. That doesn't make it what the Bible says. It makes it what some idiot claims.

quote:

Thanks for mockingly linking Gish Gallop, I am somehow completely unaware of it, despite having been arguing in a thread based on Theology, and also participating in both the Conservapedia and Freep threads.

No problem.

quote:

Absolutely, I agree. However, for the discussion in this thread (a thing you seem to be unable to comprehend?) we were discussing Biblical Literacy as the source for the OP's dismissal of all other faiths, and his reversion to Pascal's Wager as his fallback plan to avoid Hell. The OP decided to somewhat recant from a Literalist perspective after my post with sources that are, have been, and will continue to be used to promote Biblical Literalism. You're not arguing with a Christian, you're just making yourself look poorly educated on this topic.

I'm not the one claiming context-less prooftexts actually support Biblical Literalism. You didn't make the claim that the verses were misapplied. You made the claim that they actually said the Bible was infallible. You made a post presenting nonsense uncritically and then saying "Don't try to be flippant and disdainful if you don't even know the book." And given that none of the sources says what you said it does, you're now claiming that I'm making myself look poorly educated? You might want to look in a mirror.

quote:

We're sort of all debating through various puppets here, because this topic is so ridiculous in the first place.

And here we can agree.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.
I'm a Dawkins-type agnostic - only reason I can't call myself an atheist is that I cannot accept that I know ANYTHING with certainty - but I think if gods were real, there has to be a whole lot of them working against each other if they really do have an influence on human behavior. That would explain why all these different groups are getting different divine revelations.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

ClearAirTurbulence posted:

I'm a Dawkins-type agnostic - only reason I can't call myself an atheist is that I cannot accept that I know ANYTHING with certainty - but I think if gods were real, there has to be a whole lot of them working against each other if they really do have an influence on human behavior. That would explain why all these different groups are getting different divine revelations.

You're neglecting the possibility that there's only one God, and he's really bad at it. Or alternatively that there are two gods, and one of them doesn't care about making themselves known, just undermining the first one (read as: mainstream Christianity's view of Satan).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

LaughMyselfTo posted:

You're neglecting the possibility that there's only one God, and he's really bad at it. Or alternatively that there are two gods, and one of them doesn't care about making themselves known, just undermining the first one (read as: mainstream Christianity's view of Satan).

If there's one thing to take from the Old Testament, it's that God is poo poo at it. Killing everyone and starting over? Not noticing your people are slaves for like centuries, then being more concerned with mind-raping Pharaoh into being stubborn and pointlessly punitive to your people so you can show off with more plagues?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

That's why the Greek pantheon made sense, it was powerful but petty lords trying to gently caress each other over by pitting the powerless against one another.

That's probably too insight-provoking a model to be given out to the rabble.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

It's considered, but it seems illogical. I would think that an entity as old and powerful as the monotheist god would have developed some wisdom by now, even if it started out at a human or somewhat less than human level of intelligence. Likewise, if there was a conflict between Satan and God, I'd have to question why neither side makes itself known as it would be a huge advantage to either side - if the Biblical Satan made himself known, I'd probably immediately start trying to help him, as would many others.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's considered, but it seems illogical. I would think that an entity as old and powerful as the monotheist god would have developed some wisdom by now, even if it started out at a human or somewhat less than human level of intelligence.

Maybe it takes a really long time to mature and is just playing with its toys until mom and dad get home and make it clean its room before dinner.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Okay, okay, the Bible isn't literal 100% Word-O-God, fine. I get that. Or, at least, I get that you are asserting that. But if other religions have texts, which are also not the literal word of God, and that make similar claims of the divinity of other beings, and some of them are even formulated similarly to the Bible, why is the Bible trustworthy and others not?

Hmm, yes, comparing one attribute of two things is the same as equating them as a whole. Hoo baby.

I'm not sure I would use the word "untrustworthy" to describe how many religions view other religious texts. From the Catholic perspective, all religions are humans grasping toward the same unknown. It views the similarities that exists between faiths in their beliefs and practices to be a sign of this fact. Humanity is one community with a common destiny in God. Nostra Aetate states outright that,

Pope Paul VI posted:

[t]he Catholic Church rejects nothing that is true and holy in these religions. She regards with sincere reverence those ways of conduct and of life, those precepts and teachings which, though differing in many aspects from the ones she holds and sets forth, nonetheless often reflect a ray of that Truth which enlightens all men. Indeed, she proclaims, and ever must proclaim, Christ "the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6) in whom men may find the fullness of religious life, in whom God has reconciled all things to himself.

Lumen Gentium further states that:

quote:

This Church constituted and organized in the world as a society, subsists in the Catholic Church, which is governed by the successor of Peter and by the Bishops in communion with him, although many elements of sanctification and of truth are found outside of its visible structure. These elements, as gifts belonging to the Church of Christ, are forces impelling toward catholic unity.

So the issue isn't that Catholicism views these texts as malevolent, as you seem to imply, as much as the Catholic Church having a greater understanding of divine reality. There are "numerous elements of sanctification and of truth" outside the Church. However, Catholicism would claim that it has the best understanding of ultimate reality among religions and that, if you accept the existence of a God, that the nature of things naturally lead more toward itself than other faiths.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Like I said, my replies were in the context of the thread. That's what people use to claim that Biblical Literacy is valid. I do not believe this, the whole concept of it is silly, and I don't need it disproven. We're on the same side, except for some reason you think I'm as bad at logical thinking as the OP.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

QuoProQuid posted:

I'm not sure I would use the word "untrustworthy" to describe how many religions view other religious texts. From the Catholic perspective, all religions are humans grasping toward the same unknown. It views the similarities that exists between faiths in their beliefs and practices to be a sign of this fact. Humanity is one community with a common destiny in God. Nostra Aetate states outright that,

Lumen Gentium further states that:

So the issue isn't that Catholicism views these texts as malevolent, as you seem to imply, as much as the Catholic Church having a greater understanding of divine reality. There are "numerous elements of sanctification and of truth" outside the Church. However, Catholicism would claim that it has the best understanding of ultimate reality among religions and that, if you accept the existence of a God, that the nature of things naturally lead more toward itself than other faiths.

That's all just softening the blow. The Catholic church still thinks it's right and others are wrong. Maybe not 100%, but still, at the core, incorrect. And vice versa - despite both being monotheistic (the thing in common), most Muslims will view Christians as misled at best and heretical at worst for what they perceive to be worship of something other than God.

I mean, every religion thinks it's the greater understanding of divine reality. Every religion thinks that "the nature of things naturally lead more toward itself than other faiths."

I am not meaning to imply a perception of malevolence in other books, I am meaning to imply a perception of incorrectness. I did not mean "trustworthy" to denote whether the Bible has good or evil motivations, only that the information presented therein could be counted on as being true.

Which brings us back to the question at hand: if all books are seen as the musings of mortal beings on the nature of God and/or a supposedly historical account of Godly things that happened, rather than a perfect, divine account dictated by God Himself - why is the Bible's account of a divine being named Jesus true, but an account of Joseph Smith finding brass tablets (and all other non-Christian religious accounts) is made up?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

why is the Bible's account of a divine being named Jesus true, but an account of Joseph Smith finding brass tablets (and all other non-Christian religious accounts) is made up?

Because people usually aren't very good at letting go of what they were taught as children? I've said it like a dozen times in this thread - there's no logical path through this that ends questions and leaves the 'correct' belief, the logical path is that it's all made up and none of it is true.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

nucleicmaxid posted:

To expand upon this and agree with it.

You're trying to reason yourself into a position that literally tells you right off that it requires faith. Faith and reason are opposites. I'm not saying this in a smugtheist way like hurr durr, xtians r dum. But they are just completely opposite things. Reason requires evidence and fact and logic and faith requires a reliance on your own personal gut feelings. In a lot of ways, reason is the objective and faith is the subjective.

In short, you're wasting your time. If you actually believe all this stuff then just believe it. If you don't but are afraid of hell you're hosed anyway because if there is an omniscient deity, it will know you're not really all in.

When did this idea emerge, just out of curiosity? It makes no sense for the early church, where followers either directly saw a dude raise people from the dead, walk on water, create wine, or learned it from people who had direct contact. It's quite puzzling why God would expect people today to believe in him just as strongly as people he demonstrated numerous miracles for.

nucleicmaxid posted:

Because people usually aren't very good at letting go of what they were taught as children? I've said it like a dozen times in this thread - there's no logical path through this that ends questions and leaves the 'correct' belief, the logical path is that it's all made up and none of it is true.

This.

Sorry OP, but you keep dancing around the fact that your premise is completely flawed- smart people didn't 'reason' themselves into this- they were born into it and for some reason they ignored any logical flaws it had as they grew up. It's also about community, people like to belong to something and are willing to put some things aside to do so.

Hell, look at the exceptions to the above- the adult converts. They tend not to be people you would call "smart" "logical" or "intelligent".

quote:

My problem, then, is couched in a Christian perspective, but (as I see it) can apply to all faiths if you simply swap out the specifically Christian components with Muslim ones, or whatever.

You're right. Stop trying to search for some perfect argument that explains this away because it doesn't exist. For someone talking about logic, you seem to be ignoring that all logic is formed on unprovable axioms. You are trying to prove the axioms with the results of the axioms and it doesn't make any sense at all.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

tsa posted:

When did this idea emerge, just out of curiosity? It makes no sense for the early church, where followers either directly saw a dude raise people from the dead, walk on water, create wine, or learned it from people who had direct contact. It's quite puzzling why God would expect people today to believe in him just as strongly as people he demonstrated numerous miracles for.

I have no idea, I'm not a Christian. I'm just presenting their arguments to the thread because their arguments were asked for, and they seem to be the basis of some of the OP's claims.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

nucleicmaxid posted:

I have no idea, I'm not a Christian. I'm just presenting their arguments to the thread because their arguments were asked for, and they seem to be the basis of some of the OP's claims.

I'd consider replying to this thread, but I already have a thread about Christianity, and see this thread as redundant (as well as the other one about God). I regret writing the earlier reply on the first page.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

One nitpick about women being unable to lead a church: its roots are anti-patrilinialist, not anti-gender equality. Women have children, a fact which cannot be denied. A male priest who has children could always have doubt sown upon his seed before paternity tests came about. So, you don't have women as priests because you don't want them to pass down the office to their children, making religious office a heriditary position with corresponsing title and grants of privliges.

So if you want to divorce your church structure from human inclination, your best method in historical times would be to ban women from holding priestly office.

See I always heard it was because of original sin.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

I'd consider replying to this thread, but I already have a thread about Christianity, and see this thread as redundant (as well as the other one about God). I regret writing the earlier reply on the first page.

Too bad you ignored everyone who didn't agree with you, and handwaved away everyone else.

:allears:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

I mean, every religion thinks it's the greater understanding of divine reality. Every religion thinks that "the nature of things lead more toward itself than other faiths."

That is the very nature of choice. Everything you choose is arguing that it will lead to something better than some alternative. It is up to your internal calculus to discover wha that is.

am not meaning to imply a perception of malevolence in other books, I am meaning to imply a perception of incorrectness. I did not mean "trustworthy" to denote whether the Bible has good or evil motivations, only that the information presented therein could be counted on as being true.

Which brings us back to the question at hand: if all books are seen as the musings of mortal beings on the nature of God and/or a supposedly historical account of Godly things that happened, rather than a perfect, divine account dictated by God Himself - why is the Bible's account of a divine being named Jesus true, but an account of Joseph Smith finding brass tablets (and all other non-Christian religious accounts) is made up?

Because that is what you, after having studied the issue in depth and after having interacted with the metaxy, understand to be more true. If you do not find Christianity to make more sense than its alternative, which it claims it is, then you either study it further or choose the alternative.

What you are asking this entire thread is for some sort of impersonal simple formula to tell you want to do. Everyone in this threads both atheist and theist, has been trying to tell you that this entire conception is wrong. Religion is predicated on choice and one's personal experiences. You want to remove belief from religion, which completely violates a core tenet of religion.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 5, 2014

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

QuoProQuid posted:

What you are asking this entire thread is for some sort of impersonal simple formula to tell you want to do. Everyone in this threads both atheist and theist, has been trying to tell you that this entire conception is wrong. Religion is predicated on choice and one's personal experiences. You want to remove belief from religion, which completely violates a core tenet of religion.

I guess I'm wondering why anyone arrives at that belief in the first place if it's so nonsensical to do so. OR, why it isn't nonsensical.

I know the atheists will say that the reason is "because they're dumb/grew up with it/have never though about it, but I want the perspective of someone who does believe.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

What do you reckon belief is? Like, I believe a number of things that are probably nonsensical, and many more that are simply wrong. I do this because, well, I believe them. I don't think you can consider belief to be a rational choice - it's much more of an emotion. So some people have a strong intuition of God, which is reinforced by little miracles and the dominant culture of their area, and this manifests itself through religiosity. If you lack that emotional response, good on you, you don't have to deal with all the weird stuff in theology unless you actually find it interesting.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

What do you reckon belief is? Like, I believe a number of things that are probably nonsensical, and many more that are simply wrong. I do this because, well, I believe them. I don't think you can consider belief to be a rational choice - it's much more of an emotion. So some people have a strong intuition of God, which is reinforced by little miracles and the dominant culture of their area, and this manifests itself through religiosity. If you lack that emotional response, good on you, you don't have to deal with all the weird stuff in theology unless you actually find it interesting.

But belief is not just emotional. The belief itself is a set of ideas which is rational within its set of rules. Emotions are relatively short-lived, while ideas survive as long as another idea doesn't take its 'portfolio' or as long as it's useful. The belief might cause emotion through study and practice, but the belief itself isn't pure emotion, I think.

I'm agnostic, but I can understand the 'rules' of Christian belief and therefore be able to follow a religious discussion. I don't accept the premises, however, which makes me an unbeliever. As a result, I an denied the emotional religious experience.

No one can say the premises of Christian 'logic' is right or wrong. You can only say that you do or don't accept them. It's as simple as that.

Theological assertions cite the bible and use proper logic to arrive at some novel conclusion. I guess you can say those conclusions are right or wrong without dropping the basic christian ideas that are spelled out in the bible.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

^ That is a phenomenally good post.

I guess I'm wondering why anyone arrives at that belief in the first place if it's so nonsensical to do so. OR, why it isn't nonsensical.

I know the atheists will say that the reason is "because they're dumb/grew up with it/have never though about it, but I want the perspective of someone who does believe.

Most religions base themselves on the idea of a dual search. Humanity is searching for God and God is searching for humanity. This search manifests itself in certain spectacular ways, such as the Angel Gabriel's appearance to the Prophet Muhammad, but also through the mundane. Subtle things, such as the structure of the universe, personal revelations, and the intuition that a higher reality exists are examples that have been used in the past to explain how God reaches toward us. Having built the universe, many religions would argue that nature should lead toward an ultimate reality.

If you have the time and patience, I would recommend reading Thomas Aquinas's Summa Contra Gentiles to gain a better understanding of how believers defend themselves against unbelievers. Many of the arguments here and in the "Let's Prove God's Existence" thread are pretty much rehashes of arguments that Aquinas encountered.

EDIT: I'll also recommend A Canticle for Leibowitz which, while fiction, is one of my favorite books and discusses issues like faith and belief. A good portion of the novel discusses how divine reality can manifest itself in mundane ways and there is an extended debate on God's existence that leaves the reader sympathetic to both sides.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 5, 2014

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

nucleicmaxid posted:

Don't try to be flippant and disdainful if you don't even know the book.

edit: Not only that buy both the Catholic Church and Protestant beliefs overwhelmingly claim that the Bible is infallible and completely true. While the Catholic Church has sort of backed down from this, notably in the Second Vatican Council, it still carries weight with plenty of Christians, and is direct from the text.

:ironicat:

I see you've already been taken to task over interpreting those passages, so I will just point out that the Catholic Church has never claimed the Bible is infallible or "completely true" (in the sense that everything happened 100% exactly as described). By all means, point out their arguments otherwise.

Questions for everyone: if Christians were/are concerned with having a literal reading of the Sacred Library, and if through them the Almighty desired a single authoritative revelation, then why include four Gospels that disagree with each other?

Sure, there is agreement over broad strokes, but none of the details line up, and these were produced out of traditions passed down by the people who were there! Yes, a court of law faces the same problems determining who did what when and how, but if A Single Literal Undisputed Truth is the goal, how do we explain the canonization of a plurality of narratives?

Krotera posted:

The implication I got when you said this --
-- is that demanding or expecting reasons to believe a particular religion over another one is gauche or pointless.

And whether I've understood the details or not, it still seems to me that you're responding to WEIGHT's question "why should I believe [x religion] over [y religion]?" with a version of "why would you need to ask that question?"

No, 'question everything' is my position, but I'm not always the clearest poster. I was essentially answering WEIGHT's question of "Why?" with "Why not?", regarding choosing Christianity even if there is no eternal damnation. It doesn't matter - Christians and atheists and pagans all come to the same end. I go with Catholicism because I was raised in it and it has influenced the society and ideologies that I live under, so it makes sense to me and I enjoy it for the most part. GW is unsatisfied with the strain of religion he/she was familiar with (who could blame themm?), which is why I encouraged them not to worry about it, because no one goes to hell anyways, which is a very old if often ignored dogma within Christianity.

I think I said it in kyrie's zeolot thread, but this world is the only hell anyone will ever know, and God's challenge to us is to make it a heaven. Which we will certainly struggle to do if we're constantly trying to convince each other "you're all hosed up cuz you're not more like me".

quote:

There are a lot of religions whose really basic tenets are mutually exclusive, even if they also have common parts.

Disagree. Practices and language are very different, but that's simply the nature of human custom. The Golden Rule is called such is because it occurs everywhere, no group of people have ever come up with a better moral. So God has given the same inspiration across countless nations, and we are free to go with whatever iteration suits us best, be it secular or spiritual, foreign or familiar.

edit:

QuoProQuid posted:

EDIT: I'll also recommend A Canticle for Leibowitz which, while fiction, is one of my favorite books and discusses issues like faith and belief. A good portion of the novel discusses how divine reality can manifest itself in mundane ways and there is an extended debate on God's existence that leaves the reader sympathetic to both sides.

Seconding this, Canticle owns. Fiction is a great way to explore these issues, but easier than trying to read medieval philosophers imo.

God sends you a direct message, what do you do?!: http://vimeo.com/104193227

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 5, 2014

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Black Bones posted:

:ironicat:

I see you've already been taken to task over interpreting those passages, so I will just point out that the Catholic Church has never claimed the Bible is infallible or "completely true" (in the sense that everything happened 100% exactly as described). By all means, point out their arguments otherwise.

I see you didn't bother to read my other replies. Please feel free to do so. These are some of the passages that literalist sects use to prop up their beliefs. I do not hold those beliefs. You asked where it said it, I supplied them and then went on to explain that this is by sect and literalist propensity it has changed per sect over the years. You're arguing against a person who doesn't exist in this thread.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

So you gonna post evidence that "the Catholic Church and Protestants overwhelmingly (emphasis mine) claim the Bible is infallible and completely true" or what?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Black Bones posted:

So you gonna post evidence that "the Catholic Church and Protestants overwhelmingly (emphasis mine) claim the Bible is infallible and completely true" or what?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_infallibility#Catholicism

In Catholicism, its called inerrancy. Same idea.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Come on, man, the passage you just quoted directly states that Catholicism does not consider infallibility to be the same as inerrancy. The fact that the Bible cannot be interpreted as completely true is a big issue in Catholicism that makes causes certain radical Protestant sects to claim that Catholics aren't Christians.

"Since God speaks in Sacred Scripture through men in human fashion, the interpreter of Sacred Scripture, in order to see clearly what God wanted to communicate to us, should carefully investigate what meaning the sacred writers really intended, and what God wanted to manifest by means of their words."

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

That refers to the Church's specific moral and theological interpretations of the Bible, which it arrives at through the following process http://catholic-resources.org/ChurchDocs/PBC_Interp.htm

Saying the collection is without error isn't the same as making a literalist reading of the books within it. The Church takes into account the types of genres and the historical context that is in play when dealing with the Bible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
http://www.wetalkofholythings.com/2013/03/inerrancy-vs-infallibility-theological.html

I'm sorry, that is incredibly misleading.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

quote:

I was born and raised in Miami, Fl., where I still reside. I am an active member of a Plymouth Brethren Assembly here in Miami called Bible Truth Chapel. We consider ourselves to be a non-denominational, conservative Bible Church.

i don't think a non-denominational blogger from miami has any institutional authority on how the catholic church interprets the bible.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 5, 2014

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

QuoProQuid posted:

i don't think a non-denominational blogger from miami has any institutional authority to the catholic church interprets the bible.

http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/justintaylor/2011/09/16/inerrancy-and-infallibility-truth-claims-and-precision/

I still think you are splitting hairs.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

A non-denominational pastor in Wheaton, Illinois would also probably not be considered a strong authority for Catholicism.

The words inerrant and infallible have different meanings in the Protestant and Catholic traditions. You can't use Protestant thinkers talking solely about Protestantism to claim what Catholicism believes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

QuoProQuid posted:

A non-denominational pastor in Wheaton, Illinois would also probably not be considered a strong authority for Catholicism.

The words inerrant and infallible have different meanings in the Protestant and Catholic traditions.

http://www.theopedia.com/Inerrancy_of_the_Bible

Nope, still splitting hairs

Bu...bu...but you obviously are just a layman who doesn't understand our intricate religion

No, you guys are splitting hairs over interpretation, at the end of the day, and allows others with different interpretations to simply say "Oh, no, you obviously didn't interpret that verse/text right."

Its really pedantic.

• Locked thread