Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

My crazy vegan ex used to wash every produce item through some 5 step cleaning process involving hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, water, and LED's.

Holy poo poo, that's like Trick-You-Into-Getting-Pregnant levels of crazy right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bob Morales posted:

My crazy vegan ex used to wash every produce item through some 5 step cleaning process involving hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, water, and LED's.

As a microbiologist this is... well, wow. I don't know where to start.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

That Works posted:

As a microbiologist this is... well, wow. I don't know where to start.

It's not that uncommon.

http://www.rodalenews.com/veggie-wash

I'd eat an apple on the way home from the store, with just a quick rub on my t-shirt and get the "Apples have the highest amount of pesticides on them you're going to get cancer!" speech on the way home. Then I'd give the core to the dog and she said I was trying to kill it with arsenic from the seeds.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
How do you call the multiple level dish holders, similar to cake stands, but with plates you can remove from each level ?
I'm not having any luck finding this on amazon...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Spatule posted:

How do you call the multiple level dish holders, similar to cake stands, but with plates you can remove from each level ?
I'm not having any luck finding this on amazon...

They're called racks or stands, as you said.
Google image, dessert plate rack stand or tier platter set, or even tier cupcake stand and maybe throw a removeable or detachable in there.

you can get things like
or or

Or even more different.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 30, 2014

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Drifter posted:

They're called racks or stands, as you said.
Google image, dessert plate rack stand or tier platter set, or even tier cupcake stand and maybe throw a removeable or detachable in there.

you can get things like
or or

Or even more different.

Thanks. It's actually weird, works great with GIS, not much on Amazon UK.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bob Morales posted:

It's not that uncommon.

http://www.rodalenews.com/veggie-wash

I'd eat an apple on the way home from the store, with just a quick rub on my t-shirt and get the "Apples have the highest amount of pesticides on them you're going to get cancer!" speech on the way home. Then I'd give the core to the dog and she said I was trying to kill it with arsenic from the seeds.

I know. It's just... excessive.

A little vinegar will help and just rinsing will do fine for most stuff. Unless you're going to cook it well above kill temps you're always going to have stuff on there. I think people take it too far is all. Unless you're already ill or immunocompromised, then sure the extra mile makes more sense.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

User-Friendly posted:

I'm making a fast white bread, and the recipe I'm using says to let it rise for 20-45 minutes in a warm (75-85°) location. There's nowhere that warm in my apartment. What kind of extra time should I be looking at if it's ~60° in here?

I'm not an expert, but I have made three loaves of sandwich bread in the last five days (not all for me), and I've consulted two Mark Bittman cookbooks and the King Arthur Baker's Companion, and those times sound weird. Bittman generally recommends about 2 hours for a first rise in a greased bowl at room temperature, followed by a punchdown and a 15 minute rest, followed by pressing it into the loaf pan and another hour of rising. (All of these covered with towels or plastic wrap.)

The King Arthur book says that rising in a lower temperature is fine but will make it slower. (They actually suggest an all-day rise in the fridge, so you can accommodate your work schedule.) Amount of yeast (as well as the type, the times I gave are with instant yeast) apparently figures in as well.

Both of these suggest to me that 45 and 20-45 minutes is crazytown. King Arthur also says that times are never going to be precise since you're dealing with yeast, and that you should be looking for the rough doubling in size (after the first rise) and then just about filling the pan (for the second rise). If you aren't sure about temperatures and times, I'd say look for that rather than the clock. Others with more experience can correct me.

Some suggestions from King Arthur on rising in cooler areas:

• Use the naturally warmer areas, which may include the top of the refrigerator or the top of the water heater, or near a wood stove or radiator or hot air vent.

• You can set a heating pad on low, wrap it in a towel, and set the covered bowl on top.

• Preheat the oven on "warm" for 1 minute, turn the oven off, set the dough inside. For every 45 minutes, until the dough rises enough, turn it back on warm for 1 minute.

There are a couple other suggestions, but they are a bit more involved.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

guppy posted:

I'm not an expert, but I have made three loaves of sandwich bread in the last five days (not all for me), and I've consulted two Mark Bittman cookbooks and the King Arthur Baker's Companion, and those times sound weird. Bittman generally recommends about 2 hours for a first rise in a greased bowl at room temperature, followed by a punchdown and a 15 minute rest, followed by pressing it into the loaf pan and another hour of rising. (All of these covered with towels or plastic wrap.)

The King Arthur book says that rising in a lower temperature is fine but will make it slower. (They actually suggest an all-day rise in the fridge, so you can accommodate your work schedule.) Amount of yeast (as well as the type, the times I gave are with instant yeast) apparently figures in as well.

Both of these suggest to me that 45 and 20-45 minutes is crazytown. King Arthur also says that times are never going to be precise since you're dealing with yeast, and that you should be looking for the rough doubling in size (after the first rise) and then just about filling the pan (for the second rise). If you aren't sure about temperatures and times, I'd say look for that rather than the clock. Others with more experience can correct me.

Some suggestions from King Arthur on rising in cooler areas:

• Use the naturally warmer areas, which may include the top of the refrigerator or the top of the water heater, or near a wood stove or radiator or hot air vent.

• You can set a heating pad on low, wrap it in a towel, and set the covered bowl on top.

• Preheat the oven on "warm" for 1 minute, turn the oven off, set the dough inside. For every 45 minutes, until the dough rises enough, turn it back on warm for 1 minute.

There are a couple other suggestions, but they are a bit more involved.

I've found bread to be finicky on rising (I have a drafty house that never holds stable temps too well) and I tend to have to just watch rising by eye and make a judgement call on when to go from one step to the next.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Bob Morales posted:

Then I'd give the core to the dog and she said I was trying to kill it with arsenic from the seeds.

Well that's just crazy. It's cyanide inside of apple seeds.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
#1 the lethal dose for an average human is about 85 grams (half a cup) of apple seeds. Even accounting for your dog being smaller than you, that's a huge amount of apples required to be lethal.

#2 unless the apple seeds get cracked open, they're just going to pass through your system keeping all of their cyanide contained inside the seed's hard shell

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Steve Yun posted:

#1 the lethal dose for an average human is about 85 grams (half a cup) of apple seeds. Even accounting for your dog being smaller than you, that's a huge amount of apples required to be lethal.

I did the math on it once and it was some insane amount of seeds. And the dog was bigger than her :smugdog:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

goodness posted:

I tried the roasted garlic and it was like eating cardboard

Go try some Cracked Pepper and Olive Oil Triscuits and report back.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I have a spaghetti squash and I'm not sure what I want to do with it. A soup? Maybe using it like actual spaghetti? Anyone have any recipes they can recommend? I haven't actually cooked spaghetti squash before.

Skren
Dec 1, 2014
Wanted: Walker Brothers german pancake (aka dutch baby) recipe

I've been trying to get the actual recipe that Walker Brothers (chicagoland area) uses for their german pancake and have been failing miserably for 20 years. I've even tried bribing actual cooks from there to no avail. My wife and I have tried literally every german pancake recipe on google and none of them are the same. Anyone ever been (or knows) a cook from walker bros that can enlighten me to this secret recipe?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

#2 unless the apple seeds get cracked open, they're just going to pass through your system keeping all of their cyanide contained inside the seed's hard shell

Just to be pedantic, but it may not be true that dogs are affected the same as humans. After all they are poisoned from onions whereas the superior humans are not. Alternatively dogs could be less susceptible to the poison in apple seeds.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - onion supremacy :smugdog:

Comic posted:

I have a spaghetti squash and I'm not sure what I want to do with it. A soup? Maybe using it like actual spaghetti? Anyone have any recipes they can recommend? I haven't actually cooked spaghetti squash before.
There is not a better purpose for spaghetti squash in the world than for this recipe.

http://zsuzsaisinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2014/07/dilled-spaghetti-squash-with-sour-cream.html

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Perhaps, but they tested cyanide capsules on Hitler's dog and it died immediately. We can guess that even with differences in body chemistry, even supposing that maybe dogs require an order of magnitude more or less cyanide to be killed compared to a human, we can still say with some confidence that half a cup is a ridiculous amount of apple seeds to ingest, and that since these apple seeds were delivered in an apple core, there is a pretty solid assurance that a dog is not going to die from eating one or two apple cores.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Drifter posted:

^^^ - onion supremacy :smugdog:

There is not a better purpose for spaghetti squash in the world than for this recipe.

http://zsuzsaisinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2014/07/dilled-spaghetti-squash-with-sour-cream.html

That looks delicious but I have basically none of those ingredients on hand. Thank you though, I'll keep it bookmarked even though it's a little heavier on the dairy than I usually go to (outside of cheese).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Comic posted:

That looks delicious but I have basically none of those ingredients on hand. Thank you though, I'll keep it bookmarked even though it's a little heavier on the dairy than I usually go to (outside of cheese).

Then just treat them as noodles. It goes great with spaghetti sauce or any type.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am trying to make Sauerkraut and after 2 days in the bucket I'm not getting any liquid. Do I need to throw this poo poo out? I went based on the GWS wiki, shredded in the food processor, each layer got salt, smashed it down. It's sitting in a food quality bucket beneath a plate weighed down with a jar.

EDIT: Just threw it out. The cabbage at the bottom was fermenting and fizzy, the top layer wasn't, it had browned and looked disgusting. I think I need more salt.

Rand alPaul fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 2, 2014

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Would goose legs do well in gumbo?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Esme posted:

My girlfriend has demanded that I make cranberry kimchi for Thanksgiving. I've only made regular kimchi (from Maangchi) once before, so I could use some tips before trying a weirder version. I plan to not add a lot of fishy products, maybe throw some apple in there??

I didn't see this before the day, but I'm curious as to how it turned out?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Would goose legs do well in gumbo?

Duck sure does. From my experience anything works well in gumbo honestly.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Comic posted:

You probably already cooked it, but my go-to is pretty simple:

Cut it in half. Scoop out the seeds. Fill the cavities with crushed garlic cloves. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and some "Italian" herbs (I use mostly rosemary and basil). Invert on a baking sheet. Roast (bake?) at 375f for 45 minutes or so.

Now you just use a fork to pull out the strands and separate them. It's usually pretty wet at this point so you can bake it some more if you want. I just add some butter to taste and grate some hard cheese over it but sometimes I put mozzarella on it with some quartered cherry tomatoes and bake it more.
The roasted garlic usually ends up with little burnt bits I like to scrape off the pan but if you don't like that just roast it in the paper and extract the paste and use that. Or don't use garlic at all but that's loving stupid.

I've never tried toasting and eating the seeds. Is that a thing?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Spatule posted:

Thanks. It's actually weird, works great with GIS, not much on Amazon UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tea%20tier

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I'm from Washington State, and I want to buy a friend who lives in NYC something quintessentially "Seattle" for her birthday. Something edible but mailable, ideally a rare ingredient. It can't be coffee, booze, or pork. I'm drawing a blank. Any ideas?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CloseFriend posted:

I'm from Washington State, and I want to buy a friend who lives in NYC something quintessentially "Seattle" for her birthday. Something edible but mailable, ideally a rare ingredient. It can't be coffee, booze, or pork. I'm drawing a blank. Any ideas?

Seafood or some sort of gourmet vegan poo poo, maybe.

I know there's a lot of Asian stuff, so maybe something teriyaki?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

CloseFriend posted:

Tossed salads and scrambled eggs.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CloseFriend posted:

Airlift some Rainier cherries?

That Works fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Dec 3, 2014

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

CloseFriend posted:

Smoked salmon from the guys at Pike Place Market (I forget the stand's name, but it's right next to the Three Girls Bakery, in front of the cow-decorated dairy/egg store). Ask them how to best pack it to ship, or even better - they'll ship it for you. It comes in a number of varieties. Throw in a magnet or ocarina or hand-painted silk scarf from one of the market vendors, if that's in your budget.

You could also send one of Tom Douglas's "rubs", but that's less cool than smoked salmon, in my opinion.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

CloseFriend posted:

Marijuana Edibles

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Beer doesn't count as booze. Send some Rainier.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I ended up experimenting with the spaghetti squash.

I consider Spaghetti Squash Carbonara to be an edible failure. It tasted fine but the presentation was more like a soup. I guess the starch on noodles is very integral to thickening it up. I could've tried heating it up a bit more but I didn't want to make scrambled eggs.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So something my family likes is summer squash, sliced thinly then dipped in milk and coated in flour and fried. Is there a winter squash variety that would work well with such a technique?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
They fry kabocha for tempura

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Beer doesn't count as booze. Send some Rainier.

It's not even made here anymore. California :(

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

They fry kabocha for tempura
... and it's loving delicious.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
I'm trying to very smoothly, slow melt cheese. In this case, a combination of Cheddar and Monterrey.

It looks smooth and glossy on top, but when I stir the contents look a little grainy.

Is this a sign of incomplete melting or a sign I've hosed up and started to denature the proteins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Berk Berkly posted:

I'm trying to very smoothly, slow melt cheese. In this case, a combination of Cheddar and Monterrey.

It looks smooth and glossy on top, but when I stir the contents look a little grainy.

Is this a sign of incomplete melting or a sign I've hosed up and started to denature the proteins?

Is that your entire recipe? Don't you need to incorporate some chemical powder in there to make it come together and not be grainy or oily? I forget what it's called, but everyone else here probably knows what it is. Corn starch is one, but there's another that's beter.

It's probably incomplete melting though, they all have slightly different melting points or something - keep a low temperature. Or the cheese is impure. Cheese is such a slut.

Conversely, just make a super tasty bechamel sauce.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 5, 2014