Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Presto posted:

He might be one of those old-school Republicans that actually believed in things like the constitution and limited government interference in private lives.

I remember how great it was for gays when old-school limited government Republicans ran the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Shifty Pony posted:

The Texas Observer had asked a bunch of county clerks what they would do if the stay were lifted

Fort Worth continue to be awful, but Dallas is a go. Travis County (Austin) says they will have extended hours, but Bexar County (San Antonio) takes the cake:

quote:

Republican Bexar County Clerk Gerard C. “Gerry” Rickhoff said in addition to keeping his office open ’round-the-clock, he’s considering setting up tables in Main Plaza to accommodate same-sex couples. Rickhoff said he’s also lined up district judges to waive a 72-hour waiting period before ceremonies can occur, as well as officiants to conduct them.

“There’s a pent-up demand to stop these civil rights violations that are pretty evident,” Rickhoff said. “I would imagine they’ll be driving into San Antonio in droves, and that’s what we’re prepared for. Nobody will be turned away. We’ll work until there’s nobody left.”
:3:
No seriously, I loving love my city. Rather than fight against gay marriage to the last breath, we're just gonna dive in headfirst and do gay marriages for everyone.:allears:

I'm gonna enjoy posting all the gay marriage pictures of the hundreds of gay couples outside the County Clerk's office.:getin:

SedanChair posted:

But Rickhoff does seem to be a very capable and principled administrator. All the articles about him online praise his reforms and attention to detail.

Here's an interesting article from a while back

http://www.sacurrent.com/sanantonio/glitter-political-the-eyes-of-gerry-rickhoff-are-upon-you/Content?oid=2250073

quote:

Back in the states, Rickhoff enjoyed a seven-year stint teaching special ed at Southwest Independent School District where he learned the South Side “pretty drat well.” Perhaps fated to follow the footsteps of his father, he ran for County Clerk in 1990 and lost. “I wasn’t supported by my party originally,” he says. Undeterred, Rickhoff eventually acceded to the office in 1995.
Huh, interesting.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 4, 2014

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
5th Circuit granted Mississippi's request for a stay, so whoever was worried about Michigan being the worst state, no worries there.

Order: http://www.scribd.com/doc/249190527/14-60837-Stay-Granted

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
Hail Satan

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

katium posted:

5th Circuit granted Mississippi's request for a stay, so whoever was worried about Michigan being the worst state, no worries there.

They're allowing MS to join the hearing for TX and LA that is happening on January 9th. They said they felt that 'expediting' the case is a fair trade for allowing a stay for now. Assholes.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Yes, actually. :devil:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also Bexar County wouldn't mind pillaging citizen marriage licenses off from foolish other county clerks getting Tea Party marching orders and trying to hold off.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

jkyuusai posted:

They're allowing MS to join the hearing for TX and LA that is happening on January 9th. They said they felt that 'expediting' the case is a fair trade for allowing a stay for now. Assholes.

Look on the bright side. Now when all 3 bans are overturned for good, they're at the same time. 3 times as much tears all on the same day :getin:

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Nonsense posted:

Also Bexar County wouldn't mind pillaging citizen marriage licenses off from foolish other county clerks getting Tea Party marching orders and trying to hold off.

For those not familiar with the mutilations perpetrated on English in Central Texas, the county surrounding San Antonio, "Bexar County", is locally pronounced "Bear" :v:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

emfive posted:

For those not familiar with the mutilations perpetrated on English in Central Texas, the county surrounding San Antonio, "Bexar County", is locally pronounced "Bear" :v:

It's actually a mutilation of Spanish and to be fair it's a more plausible Anglicization of the name than the phonetic English pronunciation "beck-sar" would be.

kordavox
Oct 16, 2013
I don't understand why government stays in the marriage business. A few states are desperately defending an Abrahamic/Christian view of marriage when they would be better off not recognizing marriages at all. Revoke all marriage licenses and get out the business altogether and that should make everyone happy. Why is marriage so important for governments to recognize and license it? When it comes to dividing property that can be established by cohabitation, shared accounts, etc.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

kordavox posted:

... Revoke all marriage licenses and get out the business altogether and that should make everyone happy. ...

Iol if you actually think this

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

kordavox posted:

I don't understand why government stays in the marriage business. A few states are desperately defending an Abrahamic/Christian view of marriage when they would be better off not recognizing marriages at all. Revoke all marriage licenses and get out the business altogether and that should make everyone happy. Why is marriage so important for governments to recognize and license it? When it comes to dividing property that can be established by cohabitation, shared accounts, etc.

How about you read the loving thread? This one has been argued over and over, you can read those arguments if you put a modicum of effort in.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Marry everyone to everyone and everything else, problem solved forever.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

MARRIAGE ARGUMENT 101: If marriage was not a legal thing then basic stuff like inheritance and joint property would be complicated and confusing. In addition to this the government has a vested interest in kids being raised in households that can provide for them easily so they grow up to be good taxpayers. Therefore marriage is great in the government's eyes. Since none of this specifically mentions "vagina and penis making babies", there's no real reason it can't apply to same-sex relationships. Explained Like You're Five as the cool kids on the reddits say because pulling out the "just abolish all marriages" card in 2014 doesn't deserve a better explanation.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

emfive posted:

Please. Her in the uk we have costessey and wymondham. (The former is pronounced 'cossy' the second 'windham' or 'windam' depending on how local your accent is)

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Little_wh0re posted:

Please. Her in the uk we have costessey and wymondham. (The former is pronounced 'cossy' the second 'windham' or 'windam' depending on how local your accent is)

I've heard it said that the weird English pronunciations of town/region names were intentionally altered to serve as shibboleths to distinguish locals from outsiders.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

kordavox posted:

Yes, let's require everyone to get lawyers for all the basic stuff marriage does by default.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
It is highly amusing that the libertarian worldview requires a law degree to even attempt to navigate the contracts you'll be entering into on a daily basis.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Michigan throws down the gauntlet in its race to become The Worst State for gay folks.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

The Satanic Temple has been doing wonderful things in Oklahoma and Florida, using the same aspect of "Freedom of religion"/"deeply held beliefs". I wonder if what Michigan politicians will think of these bills when Satanists want equal rights and representation. :q:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
How in the gently caress do you determine whether someone's idiocy is due to a "sincerely" held belief? If you're Christian but skipped church one week or had a crush on a Muslim girl at one point, does that make you unable to claim this sincerity?

Edit: The text of the bill defines several terms, but not "sincerely." Hmm. It's almost as if they want it to be vague and selectively enforceable.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2013-2014/billintroduced/House/htm/2014-HIB-5958.htm

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 5, 2014

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Macaroni posted:

How in the gently caress do you determine whether someone's idiocy is due to a "sincerely" held belief? If you skipped church one week or had a crush on a Muslim girl at one point, does that make you unable to claim this sincerity?

Edit: The text of the bill defines several terms, but not "sincerely." Hmm. It's almost as if they want it to be vague and selectively enforceable.

Ding ding ding. It's how they get to ignore Satanists or whatever group they don't like this week. It's basically "You have to have existed for this long to have rights" while ignoring that minority religions (or even major Christian sects/beliefs that fell out of favor with the powers that be) have been actively destroyed for all of history.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Macaroni posted:

How in the gently caress do you determine whether someone's idiocy is due to a "sincerely" held belief? If you're Christian but skipped church one week or had a crush on a Muslim girl at one point, does that make you unable to claim this sincerity?

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2013-2014/billintroduced/House/htm/2014-HIB-5958.htm

Courts have been ruling on if a belief is sincere for some time, mostly with respect to conscientious objectors to military service. It's left to the court to decide and that's not really something you can write a rule that works on.

It's a lovely bill, but not because of that.

rkajdi posted:

Ding ding ding. It's how they get to ignore Satanists or whatever group they don't like this week. It's basically "You have to have existed for this long to have rights" while ignoring that minority religions (or even major Christian sects/beliefs that fell out of favor with the powers that be) have been actively destroyed for all of history.

Wrong.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

I am figuratively shocked.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I am right. Sincerity is an awful standard, since it doesn't actually mean anything. Sincerity of beliefs for conscientious objectors has been all over the place as a standard, and depends a lot on the the built-in prejudices of the people involved in the case. Setting up subjective standards to something that's supposed to objective is a poor setup.

EDIT: As an example, we as a society always have treated newcomer religions with less legal and actual respect than existing ones. That's what I mean by the "You have to be this old" comment.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

emfive posted:

It sounds more like Bayer, the aspirin makers, to me.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Morter posted:

The Satanic Temple has been doing wonderful things in Oklahoma and Florida, using the same aspect of "Freedom of religion"/"deeply held beliefs". I wonder if what Michigan politicians will think of these bills when Satanists want equal rights and representation. :q:

I know it's been said before, but man that statue is cool as gently caress and I would gladly have it be displayed in any given Greek/Roman inspired public building.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

paragon1 posted:

I know it's been said before, but man that statue is cool as gently caress and I would gladly have it be displayed in any given Greek/Roman inspired public building.

I'd put it next to my front door, in a parallel world where my wife has no power to veto my whims.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I bet it would become some kind of tradition for lawyers to slap his right knee on the way into court or something.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Morter posted:

In fact, the Satanic Temple just scored another victory in Florida, where they will have their holiday display put up in the Florida Capitol building.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

rkajdi posted:

I am right. Sincerity is an awful standard, since it doesn't actually mean anything. Sincerity of beliefs for conscientious objectors has been all over the place as a standard, and depends a lot on the the built-in prejudices of the people involved in the case. Setting up subjective standards to something that's supposed to objective is a poor setup.

EDIT: As an example, we as a society always have treated newcomer religions with less legal and actual respect than existing ones. That's what I mean by the "You have to be this old" comment.

There is no reasonable way to set up an objective standard when it comes to belief. Any such attempt would certainly fail, and would certainly be heavily biased towards existing religions because those have doctrines you can objectively examine instead of idiosyncratic individual views.

Courts look at people's mental state all the time. It's a fundamental part of criminal law, determining what someone intended. And there are, except in very rare cases, simply no good ways to convert something that requires the use of human judgment like a determination of what someone is actually thinking to hard and fast rules. Courts can take the 'sincerity' requirement and come up with general guidelines on how to test it and what it means, but none of those will cover everything and there's always going to be something that requires a court to exercise its own judgment based on subjective factors no matter how many times you've tried to create an objective rule.

Basically, your argument entirely relies on the unspoken assumption that you can make objective rules about how to determine people's beliefs. That's obviously wrong - but if you think it's not I would be happy to knock down any objective rules you can come up with.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

katium posted:

Ya-

gently caress this state.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
If they do pass it, I hope a religious officiant (e.g. a Reform Rabbi) would try to take advantage of their deeply held religious belief that same-sex couples ought to be able to get married.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

OddObserver posted:

If they do pass it, I hope a religious officiant (e.g. a Reform Rabbi) would try to take advantage of their deeply held religious belief that same-sex couples ought to be able to get married.

Or my already Same-Sex-Married associate pastor? :getin:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

OddObserver posted:

Nah, let's keep putting our trust in the Satanic Temple:

And yes, the altar being used here for the "pink mass" is the tombstone of Fred Phelps' dead mother.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evilweasel posted:

There is no reasonable way to set up an objective standard when it comes to belief. Any such attempt would certainly fail, and would certainly be heavily biased towards existing religions because those have doctrines you can objectively examine instead of idiosyncratic individual views.

Courts look at people's mental state all the time. It's a fundamental part of criminal law, determining what someone intended. And there are, except in very rare cases, simply no good ways to convert something that requires the use of human judgment like a determination of what someone is actually thinking to hard and fast rules. Courts can take the 'sincerity' requirement and come up with general guidelines on how to test it and what it means, but none of those will cover everything and there's always going to be something that requires a court to exercise its own judgment based on subjective factors no matter how many times you've tried to create an objective rule.

Basically, your argument entirely relies on the unspoken assumption that you can make objective rules about how to determine people's beliefs. That's obviously wrong - but if you think it's not I would be happy to knock down any objective rules you can come up with.

No, my argument is since it's not objective it should not be included. Allowing the judging of beliefs allows for unspoken or unconscious bias to be included into the equation. The easy solution would be to just accept everyone's word as sincere or just ignore them all completely. But allowing a judge to determine "sincerity" just means you get more randomness (in reality just bigotry) into a process that is supposed to be standardized-- every person in the same jurisdiction is supposed to be treated exactly the same by the law given the same circumstances. We're a million miles away from this because we allow lots of discretion, which just reinforces the power held by the same priveleged groups.

In any case, we shouldn't be allowing any sort of religious set asides for any civil rights laws period. Allowing an easy opting out of basic rules led to a bunch of very convienient beliefs to keep things from actually changing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

rkajdi posted:

No, my argument is since it's not objective it should not be included. Allowing the judging of beliefs allows for unspoken or unconscious bias to be included into the equation. The easy solution would be to just accept everyone's word as sincere or just ignore them all completely. But allowing a judge to determine "sincerity" just means you get more randomness (in reality just bigotry) into a process that is supposed to be standardized-- every person in the same jurisdiction is supposed to be treated exactly the same by the law given the same circumstances. We're a million miles away from this because we allow lots of discretion, which just reinforces the power held by the same priveleged groups.

A solution of "accept everyone's word as sincere or ignore them all completely" is an obviously terrible solution. I don't think I even really need to explain why.

Also "every person in the same jurisdiction is supposed to be treated exactly the same by the law given the same circumstances" is indeed a principle of the law. But it's not the only one. What you're saying here is that, to the extent we cannot mechanically determine a result without any application of judgment we should apply a default rule is dumb and would cause insanely bad results in any number of situations.

For example it is a truism that right now, we cannot catch and punish every single murderer. We're just not capable of it: there is probably always someone who has murdered someone who is at large. Your principle demands we treat all people in the same circumstances - murdered someone - the same. That's obviously idiotic. Instead, while we maintain the principle that the same circumstances should have the same result, we do not then assume that because we cannot determine the circumstances exactly we must treat everyone in that same zone of uncertainty the same.

Here, the principle that "every person in the same jurisdiction is supposed to be treated exactly the same by the law given the same circumstances" is completely comparable with a "sincere belief" requirement. That's one of the circumstances: my sincere belief that killing is wrong is different from my insincere belief that paying taxes is wrong. It is very similar to how a person who intentionally shot someone is very different circumstances than someone who completely unintentionally shot someone. Sometimes we can't tell the difference without the application of human judgment, but that doesn't mean we abolish the distinction between murder and manslaughter.

rkajdi posted:

In any case, we shouldn't be allowing any sort of religious set asides for any civil rights laws period. Allowing an easy opting out of basic rules led to a bunch of very convienient beliefs to keep things from actually changing.

Absolutely we shouldn't. But that doesn't make your rant against the idea of weighing sincerity any more correct. This is a bad law and it should be opposed. It's just you're opposing it for a manifestly stupid reason and that does not help the case one bit. The best reason to oppose this is something we all know: that the concern of these legislators for people's "religious freedom" is insincere and that the actual goal is to legalize private bigotry.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

evilweasel posted:

Absolutely we shouldn't. But that doesn't make your rant against the idea of weighing sincerity any more correct. This is a bad law and it should be opposed. It's just you're opposing it for a manifestly stupid reason and that does not help the case one bit. The best reason to oppose this is something we all know: that the concern of these legislators for people's "religious freedom" is insincere and that the actual goal is to legalize private bigotry.
That's my concern--not with the general idea of a sincerity litmus test (which is pretty much a question of whether you believe any given witness in a trial or police investigation) but with the transparent license for bigotry it's being used to defend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Patter Song posted:

It sounds more like Bayer, the aspirin makers, to me.

That's kind-of how I say "bear". Or, more accurately perhaps, I say "Bayer" without a strong "y" consonant.

This is a super-interesting derail I started (and VitalSigns was right of course that it's a mangling of Spanish, not English).

• Locked thread