Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Probad posted:

All of these Sonic effort posts are disgusting. I hope I never run into someone who knows how to play him.

You're too slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
The more I play better players the more I feel Ganondorf needs some tuning up. Hopefully nintendo keeps up with the patches. I have this fear that the patches were more of a one off thing to prepare for the Wii U release, some last minute tweaking, rather than an ongoing balancing effort.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

seiferguy posted:

What's the best way to reveal 100% of the wall during credits? My best result was with Ike using his up + B over and over again, but I only got to about 99.8%.

Custom Palutena, use Heavenly Light.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Waverhouse posted:

The more I play better players the more I feel Ganondorf needs some tuning up. Hopefully nintendo keeps up with the patches. I have this fear that the patches were more of a one off thing to prepare for the Wii U release, some last minute tweaking, rather than an ongoing balancing effort.

Fight against Reksi and you'll change your tune real quick :colbert:

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Either I suddenly got good with Dedede really quick or the other dude choked hard because as Wii Fit Trainer he knocked me down a stock, brought me up to ~100% and then I squeezed by knocked out both his stocks without getting hit once.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
These Amiibos have me really missing my GBA and my eReader :(

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The way to do the 100% picture thing is to just look for spots where there's a gap, wait for a name box to go over it and attack the name box over the gap, so if you need one little spot you just attack a box over that spot. That's 100% of the meta behind the credits game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's bullshit though. You little missing square you were right in the middle of that name when I loving hit it how dare you!

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.

Macaluso posted:

Fight against Reksi and you'll change your tune real quick :colbert:

I'm saying that as a Ganondorf main since the Melee days, I want him to be good. I like that they made his two worthless attacks (Warlock punch, up tilt) a little better this time around, but it seems they were reluctant to improve anything else. Also, not being able to L-cancel his aerials now so that you can't safely short hop them really hurts the 'Dorf.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin

DoctorWhat posted:

I've also discovered more cool poo poo since then!

• SKID-CANCELLING

There's a way to pop out F-smashes really quick and cool-like. It's tricky to learn at first, but basically, whenever you let go of the left stick in order to stop running, Sonic will slide for a bit and enter a "skidding" animation. This means that, for a short while after "telling" Sonic to stop running, you're STILL stuck in a "running" state, meaning that (other than u-smashes, specials, grabs, and aerials) the only thing you can do is a dash attack. Bummer, right?

Well, here's the neat bit: partway through the "skidding" animation, there's a VERY LOUD "skidding" sound effect. The INSTANT that SFX starts playing, you can interrupt the skidding animation with ANY ground action - shielding, jabbing, any tilt, or ANY SMASH ATTACK in EITHER direction. THIS is how you use Sonic's F-smash to murder people.

HOWEVER, there IS a catch. Sonic actually has TWO "running" states, depending on how long you've been in the dash for. The above advice only applies to the "long" running state. You can tell which "state" you were in based on Sonic's stopping animation. If he slides with both feet planted on the ground, you haven't been running long enough, and the recovery time is actually LONGER, and there's no audio cue. BUMMER!

• THE SPINSHOT

Okay, this is the Good poo poo, now. Sonic has an advanced recovery technique called the "Spinshot". The Spinshot allows for varied approach options, improved/varied horizontal recovery, and mindgames. And best of all, performing the Spinshot (on Wii U) requires basically ZERO effort, timing, or special dexterity.

There are two varients to the Spinshot: grounded, and aerial. The GROUNDED Spinshot is also known as the Instant Spin Dash Jump (ISDJ) or the Thok. The AERIAL Spinshot... is just called "the Spinshot". While they have some slightly different properties, they're both executed the exact same way:

Start charging Sonic's Down-B (the "Spin Charge"). This does NOT work with his Side-B ("Spin Dash"). Once Sonic's revved up ANY amount, let go of down and B, point the left stick towards [the the direction you were facing when you started the Charge], and slam the C-stick in ANY direction.

When performed on the ground, Sonic will instantly perform an EXTREMELY long jump at regular-jump height (it's as long as Battlefield!), during most of which he has a persistant hitbox akin to jumping out of a rolling Spin Dash/Spin Charge. You can perform any aerial, including Nairs, out of this "slingshot" jump. Its trajectory is COMPLETELY fixed, until interrupted by an aerial.

The aerial spinshot is almost identical, but with two major caveats: ONE, aerial Spinshots lack the passive hitbox of the "Thok". TWO: More importantly, you can ONLY perform the spinshot if you STILL HAVE YOUR DOUBLE-JUMP IN RESERVE. (Performing the spinshot will consume your double-jump, but since it's an objective improvement over the usual double-jump in terms of recovery, I'd wager that's fair.)

Learn to use the Spinshot and to skid-cancel Sonic's ground moves, and you'll be even MORE mobile, fluid, and powerful than ever before!

Thanks for these posts. I'm really starting to like Sonic. :)

Reksi
Sep 26, 2007

Ganondorf is a lot of fun and has a great "use patience, reads, and sheer power to overcome glaring character faults" playstyle in this one but the glaring faults get really glaring in certain matchups. He could use a couple more tools and Wizard Dropkick should be the default DownB.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Davinci posted:

Either I suddenly got good with Dedede really quick or the other dude choked hard because as Wii Fit Trainer he knocked me down a stock, brought me up to ~100% and then I squeezed by knocked out both his stocks without getting hit once.

So this is the rage effect I've heard so much about!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I'm starting to enjoy Greninja after not initially like how he played in the 3DS version. But man I really wish he didn't have a counter and had something else instead (I don't really bother with custom moves, but you can't use them in randoms anyway). I'm awful with counters. I can rarely successfully pull one off. He's got a lot of fun moves though. It took me a little bit to figure out how that one disappear then reappear further away move worked. It's not immediately obvious that there's a shadow to look for. It's also pretty satisfying when you pull off the down attack and combo that into his backward leg kick thing. He's fun! I dunno why he seems more fun than when initially tried him.

Playing Smash for the first time, I fumbled around with him but it's slowly clicking. Never noticed the shadow so I'll look out for that next time I play! And yeah, pulling off the substitute is basically sheer luck for me but it's super satisfying when you do it and combo off of it.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Sudden Death should have acid rise up below ledges instead of having Bob-ombs rain down. This would encourage actually playing the game.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
hello is there a way to pick victory poses

this is important to me

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Lessail posted:

this is important to me

Nope, you can't do it in Smash 4.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Sire Oblivion posted:

Nope, you can't do it in Smash 4.

that's a shame

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Those were good games, whoever the hell I was playing. I am really bad against Lucina apparently.

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

jon hendren stin

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I've discovered that my banes are getting lightning juggled by Ness, and getting countered by Shulk.

And maybe I'm not playing against the right people, but the only glaring faults I've noticed in new Ganondorf is that he doesn't automatically laugh his rear end off when he shitstomps somebody. Maybe needs more sword. Otherwise he's perfect and I love him forever.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Davinci posted:

In smash 4 if you're more damaged you get kills faster. This is why bowser can eat loads of abuse then get a single forward smash on an enemy at 20% and kill them.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

In smash 4 if you're more damaged you get kills faster. This is why bowser can eat loads of abuse then get a single forward smash on an enemy at 20% and kill them.

Is this an actual mechanic? I thought Lucario had something like that, but I didn't realize everybody did. :confused:

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, and I even heard it's one of the tips that comes up before a match as 'Rage Effect' (Also Lucario's Aura is a completely different mechanic in addition to rage effect). I don't think characters do more damage with it, but rather have more knockback on attacks. Here's a pretty good example, where Palutena's dash attack becomes a pretty early kill move when she's over 100%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgmYe7UI-yY&t=281s

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Screenshot of the Day is over with the game's release in Japan.

Thanks, Sakurai :unsmith:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Anyone have any good videos or write-ups for how to play R.O.B.? I read a post in here basically telling me to constantly spam laser and gyro, don't charge either one, and use his UpAir as a finisher. All of these have served me very well, but I want to get even better.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nnid bonburd

ADD ME
FIGHT ME

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Reinanigans posted:

Anyone have any good videos or write-ups for how to play R.O.B.? I read a post in here basically telling me to constantly spam laser and gyro, don't charge either one, and use his UpAir as a finisher. All of these have served me very well, but I want to get even better.

Hey yo I play a lot of fuckin' ROB so let me give you a very quick breakdown (because I'm workin'):

- downthrow leads to up air very frequently
- his forward air is great for dragging people off the stage and chains together a lot
- his up air is really good
-- like seriously, it's really good
--- use that poo poo
- his downsmash comes out quick, hits both sides of him, and sends people pretty far away. I like to spotdodge an attack and retaliate with a downsmash
- his upsmash has a bit of a vacuum to it, hitting people beside you and sucking them up into the main blast. it comes out fairly quick, so feel free to bust it out if you want to pop someone in the air (for an up air assault)
- you can get a lot more mileage out of his up-b if you tap the button instead of holding it. either way it's a kind of slow and predictable recovery so be wary of getting smacked. you can use any non-b attack while rocket boosting.
- I wouldn't bother charging the gyro too much because it takes a real idiot to walk into it and more often than not they'll just pick it up and throw it back at you. it can be used as a pretty safe way to edgeguard if you learn its trajectory.
- his dash attack is pretty solid. pops people to just the right height for a forward air assault

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

just got one of those hori battlepad things and it feels amazing. I don't know why anyone would bother trying to get the gamecube adapter ones because this thing is great on its own. Only caveat is that you do need it hooked up to wiimote, so it's finite in power, but I loving hate controllers connected to poo poo on the floor so at least it's "wireless." Also works with VC games and poo poo as a Classic Controller/Classic Controller Pro substitute; something the smash bros official GC controller does not do.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I want the GCN adapter because
1) I don't want any Wiimotes
2) I can hook the GCN adapter to my computer and play games on Dolphin just as nature intended

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

MinibarMatchman posted:

just got one of those hori battlepad things and it feels amazing. I don't know why anyone would bother trying to get the gamecube adapter ones because this thing is great on its own. Only caveat is that you do need it hooked up to wiimote, so it's finite in power, but I loving hate controllers connected to poo poo on the floor so at least it's "wireless." Also works with VC games and poo poo as a Classic Controller/Classic Controller Pro substitute; something the smash bros official GC controller does not do.

Not to mention if you sell your gcn adapter for loving $120 like I did, you can buy four of the drat things.

Reksi
Sep 26, 2007

Lessail posted:

this is important to me

Holding up, left/right, or down on the D-pad when the game ends will let you pick your victory pose.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I've discovered that my banes are getting lightning juggled by Ness, and getting countered by Shulk.

And maybe I'm not playing against the right people, but the only glaring faults I've noticed in new Ganondorf is that he doesn't automatically laugh his rear end off when he shitstomps somebody. Maybe needs more sword. Otherwise he's perfect and I love him forever.

His main faults are that he has a really hard time approaching (mainly against characters with projectiles or disjointed hitboxes), a lot of his moves are slow and punishable when he loses the prediction game, and his recovery is both predictable and among the worst in the game. He'll annihilate anyone who doesn't know the matchup against him, but that gets less common as you fight better players.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
Where can I find a good guide that will explain all the mechanics of the game like how they changed L-canceling or the turn-grab extended range thing?

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Hey, been trying to find a good main, but playing against bots or doing Classic kinda makes everyone feel kinda similar. Can you fellow goons help me pick a starting point of a few characters?

Huge fan of playing grapplers/charge characters in other fightgames, and I'm just having trouble finding a character I can jive into.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

pulp rag posted:

Hey, been trying to find a good main, but playing against bots or doing Classic kinda makes everyone feel kinda similar. Can you fellow goons help me pick a starting point of a few characters?

Huge fan of playing grapplers/charge characters in other fightgames, and I'm just having trouble finding a character I can jive into.

-Mii Bralwer
-Zero Suit Samus
-Greninja
-Lucina

What do you mean by charge characters?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

pulp rag posted:

"Charge/grappler" does not really translate well into this game at all but maybe Bowser fits the bill since he has a special move grab+throw? If you want big gapcloser tanks go for Bowser and Donkey Kong, or DDD since he also has a vacuum move to grab people, a great grab game in general, and one of the best fuckoff projectiles in the game.

Also Ganondorf, who has a dashing grab/chokeslam as well as a leaping grab move, and is a complete fucker when it comes to weight and instant power.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I figured he meant like a rush down character, in which case it's Sheik all the way.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Charge characters are characters like Guile in Street Fighter where you have to hold the directional input to and then input another command to do special (I think it's like hold back on the stick, then quickly press forward and Punch to do Sonic Boom, as Guile). I don't know charge characters well but I think the idea is hold your ground and defend until you can take advantage of an opening.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

StickFigs posted:

Where can I find a good guide that will explain all the mechanics of the game like how they changed L-canceling or the turn-grab extended range thing?
poo poo like l-canceling hasn't been in the game since Melee, I think. There is the wiki if you want to go diving through that, although a lot of stuff hasn't been updated for Smash 4 yet.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kaubocks posted:

I want the GCN adapter because
1) I don't want any Wiimotes
2) I can hook the GCN adapter to my computer and play games on Dolphin just as nature intended

God drat right. Though the drivers are only available for Linux right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So... who likes tier lists? I think they can be pretty fun.

This is apparently the current Japanese ranking, based on tournament results.

The discussion I've seen on this is hilarious, as people keep saying "that seems wrong" about poo poo, when it's not a judgement at all, just a ranking of actual performance. It's obviously going to be pretty wonky with the relatively small sample size, but random forum-goers with gut tier lists getting all huffy, criticizing this actually objective (if not especially meaningful) one, is amusing.

Still, it's interesting how far Marth and Lucina have fallen.

The last version of this list might have been the basis for the nerfs/buffs in the last patch, so this might actually be relevant at some point.

• Locked thread