Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Tenzarin posted:

So I'm about to start learning to work with paints when everything gets in and I got a question. Can I use testors dullcoat on acrylic paint? I've read two different answers on the web. Or should I order some Mr. Top coat for double the price?

I believe Testors dullcoat is lacquer based. Now, lacquer thinners are pretty strong, but I don't believe they effect cured paint. The best thing to do would really be to try it on a plastic spoon before you ruin your paintjob.

In an unrelated question, do people thin Future when they spray it with an airbrush? It seems pretty thin out of the bottle, but I've never used it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You can spray it as is. 20 psi usually works great for me.

Note that you'll want to clean the airbrush with windex afterwards.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Wouldn't testors gloss coat and dullcote run me as much as Mr Topcoat but would need 2 applications?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Tenzarin posted:

Wouldn't testors gloss coat and dullcote run me as much as Mr Topcoat but would need 2 applications?

It'd also be protected as gently caress. This is coming from the world of miniatures though, where that's a concern. Glosscote + dullcote is the gold standard for miniatures protection from a spray can, and like 99.99% of minis painters use acrylics.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Ok, I think you sold me on the idea then. Thanks for the information guys!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Done the Enact. Why the hell did you guys tell me it was floppy? If anything, its articulation's slightly on the stiff side, though not enough to be a problem. The stickers were fiddly and kept flaking off (yes, I took the proper precautions, it was just those weird angles you're supposed to wrap them across), the small feet make it difficult to balance, the sonic blade looks nothing like the in-show version, and it can't hold its gun all that well, but it's still a beautiful suit that recaptures that sense of awe I felt when I watched the opening few minutes of 00 and watched this fresh, sleek, alien design dance through that ludicrously difficult training course... before some dumb, recycled blue-and-white thing shanked it a few seconds later.

Glamour shots tomorrow, and maybe I'll give the Throne Zwei a go as well. After that, it's time to order the Arche and Ali's Enact - hopefully I can learn from my mistakes and make that one a prettier build.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can Testors glosscote go over future? Planning on working with an acrylic wash. drat or would it be better just to glosscote the acrylic and just jump into an enamel wash?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Psyco Gundam Day 2:

I didn't get as much done as I'd hoped today, but I am in love with this kit. I mostly did assembly today and didn't get as much painting done as I would've hoped. The head required a lot of attention even though it's pretty simple: the faceplate opens up to reveal the inner door (the hinge is on the chin, it's pretty neat!) and the V-fin folds up to let the head drop down for the transformation to Fortress Mode (the Psyco Gundam isn't a partsformer, you don't have to take the head off to transform it). The transformation frames in the legs are pretty nice and lock together pretty securely, so I can't wait to see the final transformation.

The hands are also really nice, the Psyco's big enough that they've got moving joints. They're a bit of a pain to assemble though: the joints where they attach to the hand are very tight, so the fingers tend to pop out until you can get the backplate put on. The first one gave me a little trouble but the second wasn't as bad so I might've just had a tight fit.

Even with just the legs and part of the hip assembled, the Psyco's as tall as the Abigor on its stand, and the Abigor's about twice the height of my other HGs.

I'm going to need a bigger shelf.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 5, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You're going to need a tiny muscle car as well :colbert:.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm hunting for one. N-Scale should do the trick, but I haven't found one I like that isn't made of pewter. Worse comes to worse, I'll try sculpting one with two-part putty.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

The 0 Granzon Sword...

That Psyco Megas XLR is also lookin' good keep up the nice work everybody.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm hunting for one. N-Scale should do the trick, but I haven't found one I like that isn't made of pewter. Worse comes to worse, I'll try sculpting one with two-part putty.

Would a micro machines red caddie work

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ka0 posted:

Would a micro machines red caddie work

Yeah, it really would.

The closest thing I could find for a reasonable price was the pink one from this set I've been waffling on ordering for the past couple days. Or some pewter sports cars from a model train bit supplier, but I hate working with pewter and that option's twice the price.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TARDISman posted:

http://bandai-hobby.net/site/newitem.html Well, looks like Wing Zero Custom is just missing the holiday spirit. :sigh:

Just saw this. Dammit Bandai, I just wanted to treat myself to something nice for Christmas :negative:.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Get PG Unicorn :unsmigghh:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

RD X1 Kai Kai option parts are starting to show up on Mandarake for 3500 yen, so if you're crazy like me and want the full RD Crossbone Full Action set now's your chance.

For reference, the only other seller is a scalper on eBay who's charging $70 before shipping.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

People are doing really cool things with the Grimoire kits.

https://twitter.com/kenkou_mask

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
gently caress it, I'm buying a Grimoire. And the G-Self Reflector Pack.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Sharkopath posted:

People are doing really cool things with the Grimoire kits.

https://twitter.com/kenkou_mask

Beautiful. This is why I'm so excited for the Mock to be released. Simple grunt suits inspire the best customization IMO.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

PoptartsNinja posted:

Would you consider this guy from this toy set? Not exactly model-grade molding, but it'd get the job done.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also a Montero signed by Leandro Montera.

https://twitter.com/MTWTJ

I'm convinced any combination of colorways will still make the Montero look nice.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 6, 2014

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007
This being forced to be shipped EMS was both a blessing and a curse - my wallet hurts, but on the other hand:

I need to build it

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

gently caress it, I'm buying a Grimoire. And the G-Self Reflector Pack.

I'm fairly certain the Reflector Pack doesn't have a kit.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Droyer posted:

Yet.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They've basically skipped over it and the Tricky Pack. Those two don't really seem like they'd be cost-effective either.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Droyer posted:

Noooooooooo!

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

They've basically skipped over it and the Tricky Pack. Those two don't really seem like they'd be cost-effective either.

Assault Pack's coming though, isn't it?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah, and it's the only one that's been announced since Space.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

TARDISman posted:

Assault Pack's coming though, isn't it?

Yeah, it's huge and red.

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com/2014/11/hg-1144-g-self-trick-pack-on-display.html

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

BlitzBlast posted:

They've got all the tooling for the G-self already, so if anything it's more cost effective to release all the packs. They're probably just waiting on introducing the packs (that change the color of the G-self) because they need the molds to produce the G-Self that's already out. The only reason we're getting space-type equipment so early is because it doesn't change the base color of the G-self, and so it can be sold as an addon.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
What is the consensus on the pg astray red frame? I know some kits are better than others, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to get that over the mg Kai.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It uses the Strike's frame so it's just as good. Daban's releasing a 1/60 Tactical Arms too so you can get a PG Red Frame Custom!

EDIT: V Welp!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 6, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

It uses the Strike's frame so it's just as good. Daban's releasing a 1/60 Tactical Arms too so you can get a PG Red Frame Custom!

Actually, M3 made the Tactical Arms. Daban copied the PG Red Frame. ;)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Who's got thirty bucks I can borrow? My RX782 2.0 came in stock but I'm too poor to pay for the shipping on it plus the Char's Zaku 2.0 right now.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
They may release more G-Self packs down the road if the line does well enough. Right now they've got limited bandwidth to push out kits while the show is still running.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Haha, this is actually a pretty cool idea for display of aerial suits, even if the string is a bit conspicuous.

https://twitter.com/mangarins21w11

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Should have used transparent floss!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Make sure just to use one string, so like in the show everyone dies in like one hit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Seriously though who wants to loan me thirty bucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

Seriously though who wants to loan me thirty bucks?

Just don't buy one of them? Or wait until you have the money for both of them? Both are probably more productive methods than begging for money on the internet.