Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Proper Digital ICE (i.e. from a non-flatbed dedicated film scanner, using Vuescan in this case) is loving magic :stare:

before (raw file):

after:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

atomicthumbs posted:

Proper Digital ICE (i.e. from a non-flatbed dedicated film scanner, using Vuescan in this case) is loving magic :stare:

before (raw file):

after:

Well that's flipping amazing.

Dorkroom turned me on to Microphen a while ago and it's totally fantastic. I get rich tones, fine grain, and nice push/pull-ability. It looks seriously filthy though in the bottle. There's fogging on whatever it touches, even the funnel that I use to pour the stock solution back in, and there's all kinds of gross black floaters in the bottle. Normal?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I loving miss Kodachrome :smith:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/photos/2013/11/rare-photographs-sinatra-lucille-ball-dietrich-kodachrome

I shot lots of Ektachrome after Kodachrome disappeared, does anything even come close these days? Ektar?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Spedman posted:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/photos/2013/11/rare-photographs-sinatra-lucille-ball-dietrich-kodachrome

I shot lots of Ektachrome after Kodachrome disappeared, does anything even come close these days? Ektar?

Those make my heart hurt. :smith: Ektar is nice, but it's its own beast.

On a side note, have you tried doing any tiny 6x9 contact prints from your GW690?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Spedman posted:

The closest to Kodachrome is probably Velvia 50, but it doesn't do white people very well.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

try it with a lime posted:

Those make my heart hurt. :smith: Ektar is nice, but it's its own beast.

On a side note, have you tried doing any tiny 6x9 contact prints from your GW690?

Kodachrome just as those beautiful browns and bright whites you just can't find anymore. (That sounded far more racist that I was expecting).

The smallest contact prints I've done are 4x5, and they looked great, but a reckon a bunch of 6x9's in little frames on a wall is a great idea that I might have to steal.

I'm getting this for Xmas BTW:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/209108-REG/Photographers_Formulary_07_2000_8x10_Contact_Print_Frame.html

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I have one of these, it's really nice.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Spedman posted:

I'm so bummed I got into photography after kodachrome died, I've been tempted to buy rolls and see if i can duplicate the chemistry just to shoot one roll.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I'm so bummed I got into photography after kodachrome died, I've been tempted to buy rolls and see if i can duplicate the chemistry just to shoot one roll.

Are you a retired Kodak engineer? Who is independently wealthy?

If the answer to these questions is no then you will not be duplicating the K-14 process.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

8th-snype posted:

If the answer to these questions is no then you will not be duplicating the K-14 process.

I have a degree in chemistry :(

*edit*

Yeah read some stuff on the process, would take years to figure out everything

Shrieking Muppet fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 5, 2014

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I have a degree in chemistry :(

*edit*

You're still young I hope.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Good luck with that.

Here's how you process your kodachrome:

quote:

Backing removal
An alkaline bath softens the cellulose acetate phthalate binder. A spray wash and buffer removes the rem-jet antihalation backing.
First Developer
All exposed silver halide crystals are developed to metallic silver via a PQ developer. The yellow filter layer becomes opaque because it has a combination of Lippmann emulsion (very tiny grains) and Carey Lea silver (metallic silver particles that are small enough that they are yellow rather than gray.)
Wash
Red light re-exposure through the base
This makes the remaining undeveloped silver halide in the cyan layers developable.
Cyan developer
The solution contains a color developer and a cyan coupler. These are colorless in solution. After the color developer develops the silver, the oxidized developer reacts with the cyan coupler to form cyan dye. The dye is much less soluble than either the developer or the coupler so it stays in the red layer of the film.
Wash
Blue light re-exposure from the top
This makes the remaining undeveloped grains in the blue sensitive layer (the yellow layer) developable. The now opaque yellow filter layers prevents the blue light from exposing the magenta layer (the green sensitive layer, which is also sensitive to blue light). It is important to avoid stray printing light exposing the film base of film.
Yellow developer
Analogous to the cyan developer.
Wash
Magenta developer
This contains a chemical fogging agent that makes all of the remaining undeveloped silver developable. If everything has worked correctly, nearly all of this silver is in the magenta layers. The developer and magenta coupler work just like the cyan and yellow developers to produce magenta dye that is insoluble and stays in the film.
Wash
Conditioner
Prepares the metallic silver for the bleach step.
Bleach
(Iron EDTA) Oxidises the metallic silver to silver halide. The bleach must be aerated. The former ferricyanide bleach did not require aeration and did not require a conditioner.
Fix
Converts the silver halide to soluble compounds which are then dissolved and washed from the film
Wash
Washes the fixer out of the film.
Rinse
Contains a wetting agent to reduce water spots.
Dry
The result is three different color records each with the appropriate dye, just like other color films. The original Kodachrome process in 1935 used dye bleaches and was a far more complex process. Although the formulae have changed over the years, the basic process steps have followed a similar pattern since the introduction of "selective re-exposure" Kodachrome in 1938.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Ezekiel_980 posted:

They never published exactly what the dyes and couplers were, but Kodak did publish extensive notes on the process. With some study of the patents and K-Lab manual it's possible to back-create the right chemistry from (expensive) bulk chemicals, if you're really determined. Stephen Frizza did a lot of the heavy lifting a couple years back, though he says it was really frustrating and took about 20 tries to get it right. Even then he says he doesn't think his formulation and process is reliable enough to offer commercially.

You could get in touch with him for some advice; I understand he's pretty open about it.

The really big problem is that chemistry is only half of the game. Getting the re-exposure steps right is a nightmare by all accounts.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Yond Cassius posted:

They never published exactly what the dyes and couplers were, but Kodak did publish extensive notes on the process. With some study of the patents and K-Lab manual it's possible to back-create the right chemistry from (expensive) bulk chemicals, if you're really determined. Stephen Frizza did a lot of the heavy lifting a couple years back, though he says it was really frustrating and took about 20 tries to get it right. Even then he says he doesn't think his formulation and process is reliable enough to offer commercially.

You could get in touch with him for some advice; I understand he's pretty open about it.

The really big problem is that chemistry is only half of the game. Getting the re-exposure steps right is a nightmare by all accounts.

yeah the exposure steps is where i said gently caress it, the remaining worlds supply would get used up before someone figured out the right timing.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Ezekiel_980 posted:

yeah the exposure steps is where i said gently caress it, the remaining worlds supply would get used up before someone figured out the right timing.

Now you just need to figure how to make some kodachrome...

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

8th-snype posted:

I wonder if VSCO has approached that guy in Australia about it. They have to be hitting the bottom of the well by now, they've said the reason they haven't done Kodachrome is because they can't develop the test shots they do to dial in the preset settings.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I wonder if VSCO has approached that guy in Australia about it. They have to be hitting the bottom of the well by now, they've said the reason they haven't done Kodachrome is because they can't develop the test shots they do to dial in the preset settings.

If VSCO did this, that pack would sell like hotcakes.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Ezekiel_980 posted:

I have four rolls in my freezer...

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I was idly musing to myself about Kodachrome today. I forgot about the exposure steps, but in theory that's a solveable problem.

Does anyone know what Dwayne's or any other photo processor did with their K-14 equipment? Or their operating instructions / notes / tall tales?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

ExecuDork posted:

Does anyone know what Dwayne's or any other photo processor did with their K-14 equipment? Or their operating instructions / notes / tall tales?

Dwayne's K-Lab was sold for scrap metal.

Kodak still makes a complete copy of the K-Lab operator's manual available on their website. I've browsed it and have it on my hard disk somewhere. It gives you chemistry times, which is helpful, but no re-exposure times.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

ExecuDork posted:

I was idly musing to myself about Kodachrome today. I forgot about the exposure steps, but in theory that's a solveable problem.

If the proper wavelength for the light in the exposure steps was known one could determine the exposure time by doing a micro development lab using one millimeter strips and a gently caress load of time. Of course then you would also have to build a apparatus to do timed exposures.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kodachrome's not coming back. I've accepted this and all of you should too.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

My uncle who works at Kodak says if you get all your characters to lvl 99 and go back to Midgar on a Gold Chocobo you'll be able to give all the 1/32 toy soldiers to a Shinra soldier and he'll develop your Kodachrome for you.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Baron Dirigible posted:

My uncle who works at Kodak says if you get all your characters to lvl 99 and go back to Midgar on a Gold Chocobo you'll be able to give all the 1/32 toy soldiers to a Shinra soldier and he'll develop your Kodachrome for you.

But all the frames will be of Aeris...still dead, nerd.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Kodachrome's not coming back. I've accepted this and all of you should too.

But I want to believe...

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Sounds like reviving Kodachrome could be a goon project... those never end poorly, right? :getin:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Would it be up to Kodak to release the details? Why wouldn't they? They don't sell the film anymore so it's not like they'll be giving up any kind of trade secret.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
The guy in Melbourne who did it used to be a Kodak engineer and is apparently quite happy to discuss it with people.

edit: while I'm in here, how bad of an idea is it to double up a strip of 35mm in a Printfile sleeve, long-term? A few rolls gave me an extra frame or two, which sorta plays havoc with keeping everything tidy.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 6, 2014

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
First pair of 14 rolls is washing at the end of E-6 development right now. This process is pretty much exactly as difficult / easy as C-41, which is to say only slightly harder than B&W. Like C-41, E-6 is a process standardized across ISO, so any speed of film can sit in a reel next to any other speed of film in the tank for the same times.

I'm using the Tetenal kit, which suggests my mixed chems will be good for a few weeks as long as the lids are tight. So far, so good.

The "agitate every 15 seconds" schedule is brutal, though - 10 seconds is not enough time to do anything, but too long to just sit and stare at the wall.

EDIT: I like developing slide film. Pretty colours!

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 6, 2014

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Keep those chems in the fridge to help them keep a little longer. Concertina bottles are the best, squeeze all that air out.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

This is from the last roll in my Olympus PEN-D before the lens assembly got wobbly and the shutter started sticking open. RIP my Olympus PEN-D.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
OK, now I'm ready for my trip in January.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

MrBlandAverage posted:

Dumb question but where do you store the film after you shoot it but before you develop it? For some reason I doubt you use 60 two shot backs.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Dumb question but where do you store the film after you shoot it but before you develop it? For some reason I doubt you use 60 two shot backs.

In the boxes.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Ezekiel_980 posted:

Those boxes are way too oversized for the sheets inside, you can store probably 4 boxes worth of unshot film in a single box.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

MrBlandAverage posted:

That makes me feel broke.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Spedman posted:

That makes me feel broke.

Wait till you see the 4x5 slide film in my fridge.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

alkanphel posted:

Wait till you see the 4x5 slide film in my fridge.

MrBlandAverage makes everyone feel broke. I thought I was doing OK because there is (far) more film than food in my fridge, but his film fridge has overflowed and begun invading his food fridge, so he has me beat by a good margin.

MrBlandAverage posted:

:shepface:

:shepface::shepface:

:shepicide::shepicide::shepicide:

edit: there's another 200 sheets of Astia behind what's in front in that last photo.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

:catstare:

I have my little bar fridge for my film and keeping mixed C41/E6 chems cold, and a strong willed fiancee who won't let me store film stuff in the food fridge (a blessing in disguise).

I really do need to get out there this summer and shoot a bunch of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
now I need a bar fridge.