Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
Following Hillary, Jeb makes his move too. Although this is less official than Hillary.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/jeb-bush-2016-new-hampshire-operatives

quote:

Is Jeb 2016 A Go? He's Reportedly Recruiting Primary-State Operatives

Republican operatives in New Hampshire have told Real Clear Politics that they've been contacted by a Jeb Bush confidant about running his operation in the state for a 2016 presidential campaign.

The unnamed GOP strategists told the news outlet that they had been told to "keep your powder dry" by those close to Bush.

"I think the decision’s been made, personally,” one of the strategists said. Another added: “I’ve definitely perceived an uptick in the perception of him doing this."

They hadn't spoke with Bush directly, according to RCP, but were offered the opportunity to talk with him.

Bush's family, including his older brother and father who have held the White House, has been heavily lobbying for him to run. Bush himself said this week that he'd make a decision about whether to enter the 2016 race "in short order."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I’ve definitely perceived an uptick in the perception of him doing this.

Bold words. (but yeah I think he'll run)

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I want every appearance he has to be full of ostensibly pro-Jeb people holding Miss Me Yet pictures of W.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Warcabbit posted:

I want every appearance he has to be full of ostensibly pro-Jeb people holding Miss Me Yet pictures of W.

I just hope the campaign slogan is "Suck it, Adamses".

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

pangstrom posted:

I’ve definitely perceived an uptick in the perception of him doing this.

Bold words. (but yeah I think he'll run)

Goddammit.

gently caress this stupid country.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Warcabbit posted:

Hillary Clinton has lost that ‘new car’ smell
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...bff8_story.html

quote:

But when it was time for Clinton’s appearance to begin Wednesday morning, half of the 700 seats in the place were empty. After a half-hour “weather delay,” diplomats and VIPs filled a few more chairs, but more than 300 remained vacant when the former secretary of state and first lady walked in wearing a robin’s-egg-blue jacket and her signature pants.

Hillary’s presidential reality check moment
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/hillary-clinton-on-the-presidency-113333.html

quote:

‘You can easily lose touch with what’s real’

This Hillary Clinton song is really, really terrible
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/12/04/this-hillary-clinton-song-is-really-terrible-video/

http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/...oint-committee/

quote:

'Clinton got top billing as the evening’s “special guest,” and the Hollywood Reporter called it a “coming out of sorts” for Clinton among entertainment industry donors, should she opt to run for president in 2016.'

Operation: Miss Me Yet? in full effect.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"wearing her signature pants"

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

"wearing her signature pants"

A google image search of this phrase led me to this:

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
If she plays safe politics and doesn't beat the living poo poo out of Republicans for running this country into the ground, I'm moving to a swing state and voting against her.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Cheekio posted:

If she plays safe politics and doesn't beat the living poo poo out of Republicans for running this country into the ground, I'm moving to a swing state and voting against her.

Something tells me she wants it badly enough and knows how to deal with the Republicans' poo poo after being attacked by them for so long that she won't keep the kid gloves on. She's not the cool, likeable Obama candidate who just wants us all to get along. Hillary already knows how divisive she is.

But I hope there isn't enough misogyny in this country to keep her from being elected. I was talking to one of my friends earlier today who is worried she's doomed because of that very reason.

sualpine
Dec 5, 2014

Truthbringer

Ninjasaurus posted:

Something tells me she wants it badly enough and knows how to deal with the Republicans' poo poo after being attacked by them for so long that she won't keep the kid gloves on. She's not the cool, likeable Obama candidate who just wants us all to get along. Hillary already knows how divisive she is.

But I hope there isn't enough misogyny in this country to keep her from being elected. I was talking to one of my friends earlier today who is worried she's doomed because of that very reason.

I would have taken her over Obama, that's for sure.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Thank God for primaries.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ninjasaurus posted:

Oh she's getting elected.

All these right-wingers can keep a hat on a lot of their misogyny. I mean we will definitely see new and hilarious depths online, but I will toxx that Hillary will cut massive deals with Congress in her first year. She's got the willingness and instincts to schmooze with them, which Obama never did.

Masses of Republicans will vote for Hillary. Masses of people who cannot tolerate a black man can tolerate a white woman.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

SedanChair posted:

Masses of Republicans will vote for Hillary. Masses of people who cannot tolerate a black man can tolerate a white woman.

Perhaps but they will not tolerate this white woman.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
No they will. They will :allears:

You all are underestimating the great and terrible Madam Secretary's power to schmooze. Without a powerful primary foe like Obama she will come out undamaged and just work out on Jeb Bush or Rand Paul's lifeless corpse like it was a heavy bag. All will love her.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

SedanChair posted:

You all are underestimating the great and terrible Madam Secretary's power to schmooze. Without a powerful primary foe like Obama she will come out undamaged and just work out on Jeb Bush or Rand Paul's lifeless corpse like it was a heavy bag. All will love her.

How much of the white male vote do you think she can capture, as compared to Obama?

I think Hillary was at her most authentic when she attacked the very concept of "hope", in an effort to rebuke Obama while he was helping millions of people feel good about themselves during the 2008 primary season. If she pulls that again, Americans might be ready to reward her this time for saying it like it is after having their hopes and dreams pummeled into the ground for so long.

HILLARY 2016
gently caress HOPE

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

SedanChair posted:

I'm not trying to shut down a topic worthy of discussion, but keep in mind at this stage of the game in 2006/early 2007 we still knew Barack Obama as "noted DNC keynote speaker." Or maybe if you wanted to get cheeky you could say "noted opponent of Alan Keyes".

No prospective Democratic candidate has an ounce of the charisma of Obama from back then, but we can pray like hell someone's fallen through the cracks and will magically appear. 2016 is a chance not to just keep the presidency but to take back state houses, governor's mansions, and maybe the Senate. My fairly conservative state's going to have an important marijuana legalization ballot too, and as a patient I really want to maximize those chances. As much as much as I wouldn't mind a Hillary presidency just like I don't mind the Obama one, the ability to reliably turn out voters and get others elected on coattails* isn't something I see a candidate as divisive as she doing at all.

*do pantsuits have coattails? I think we're going to need a new phrase if she runs

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

dinoputz posted:

I'm not trying to shut down a topic worthy of discussion, but keep in mind at this stage of the game in 2006/early 2007 we still knew Barack Obama as "noted DNC keynote speaker." Or maybe if you wanted to get cheeky you could say "noted opponent of Alan Keyes".

He was "Senator Barack Obama" actually. I think by this point he was in talks with Axelrod as well, I may be wrong.

And that keynote was a really big deal if you remember. He was instantly world famous. Can you name a prospect in either party with that level of renown?

e: oh and the House and Senate are staying R.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 5, 2014

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Robby Mook, who ran Martin O'Malley's first Gubernatorial Campaign, Howard Dean's 2002 Gubernatorial and 2004 Presidential Campaign, and T-Mac's 2013 Virginia Gubernatorial Campaign is the front runner.
Oh good, just what Hillary needed, one more Mook supporting her.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
The only question in my mind is, is Hillary still mad at the Republicans in general and about healthcare in particular?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'd hesitate to say a percentage of white voters Hillary can capture, more than Mitt certainly.

VanSandman posted:

The only question in my mind is, is Hillary still mad at the Republicans in general and about healthcare in particular?

Nah. She's above bitterness if she can use you.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

I'd hesitate to say a percentage of white voters Hillary can capture, more than Mitt certainly.

I doubt that. 2-7 points more than Obama depending on the state, but that's as much as I'd wager.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

dinoputz posted:

*do pantsuits have coattails? I think we're going to need a new phrase if she runs

If that happens and it catches on, I'm going to accuse you of starting pantsuit-tailsgate.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

SedanChair posted:

Nah. She's above bitterness if she can use you.

Are you seriously suggesting that a Clinton doesn't hold severe grudges?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 228 days!
Remember how vicious Hillary was vs Obama? 2016 is going to be one hell of a campaign.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Hodgepodge posted:

Remember how vicious Hillary was vs Obama? 2016 is going to be one hell of a campaign.

And even if it's close (it won't be), we know she won't easily concede defeat like Gore or Kerry. I remember how stupefying it was that she didn't give up until every single state had voted in the primary.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I really want to see a split Republican convention in my lifetime guys. If Jeb runs there's no way that will happen. :smith:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
A Jeb-Christie-Mitt establishment primary will be interesting to see who cannibalizes the others' donor base first. Or if one jumps in first will the other two back off?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I think that Jeb and Mitt are both reluctant, only looking at the race because there is a gigantic Jeb/Mitt shaped opening with the various crazies being weak candidates even at the primary level. If one of them runs the other will back off. Maybe they'd back off for Christie too but he seems like a bit of a wild card and probably won't take their candidacies into account when he decides whether to run himself.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Would Christie be the fattest President since William Howard Taft?

And who is the ugliest President so far?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ninjasaurus posted:

I think Christie may actually be fatter than Taft was. "Fat" meant something different then, back before America's waistlines exploded. From what I can find in a quick google, Taft's peak weight was around 340; Christie appears to have been up over 400 at one point, and is now down to a mere 320-ish after lap band surgery. http://www.newsmax.com/US/Chris-Christie-weight-loss-New-Jersey/2014/03/24/id/561373/

Ugliest president? My guess is Richard Nixon.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ninjasaurus posted:

:nixon:

E: Beaten.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ugliest president? My guess is Richard Nixon.

How is the answer to this anything but Lyndon Johnson?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kalman posted:

Are you seriously suggesting that a Clinton doesn't hold severe grudges?

Maybe in her private moments she seethes, but if you can be worked on she'll work on you.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

paragon1 posted:

I really want to see a split Republican convention in my lifetime guys. If Jeb runs there's no way that will happen. :smith:

It's highly unlikely to happen no matter who the candidates are until the parties decide to move away from the McGovern reformed primary system.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alter Ego posted:

How is the answer to this anything but Lyndon Johnson?

Because he has a passing resemblance to Tom Hanks?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

computer parts posted:

Because he has a passing resemblance to Tom Hanks?

Like twins, they are. :v:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Joementum posted:

It's highly unlikely to happen no matter who the candidates are until the parties decide to move away from the McGovern reformed primary system.

I can dream dammit! :argh:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

dinoputz posted:

No prospective Democratic candidate has an ounce of the charisma of Obama from back then,

Man, I still have warm memories of that time. I'm not American, but it was the first time I started following American politics and it was just a loving magical introduction, especially as a teenager. I really think he's probably the best orator of our time. I mean shame that he became an average president and all but 2008 was a great goddamn time to be a black person anywhere in the world. Finally understood why my dad (an American citizen) revered Kennedy so much, if it was anything like that. No other country or any other event does "Behold the great and glorious future that awaits us" then an US presidential election.

At least a Clinton candidacy means that we'll be getting some great speeches from a tag team of Obama/Bill - and I plan to be drunk or high to momentarily temper the mountain of cynicism I've acquired in the past six years for each and every one of 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Romney's social media team was large, but couldn't get much done.

The link goes to a comparative study of the two campaigns' social media strategies that might be interesting.

• Locked thread