Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

How did they get Jaleel White to reprise his role?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUj80JdwBXA

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Covok posted:

I'm sure the hardest part was finding him.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Covok posted:

What is Jaleel White doing?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Beef Waifu posted:

What is Jaleel White doing?

He was in Cee Lo Green's music video when Cee Lo Green was at the height of his popularity. It's not much, but it probably paid unlike this.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Covok posted:

He was in Cee Lo Green's music video when Cee Lo Green was at the height of his popularity. It's not much, but it probably paid unlike this.

He must have gotten paid more than Doug Walker, because otherwise he would have hung himself (as anyone would in that situation).

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm pretty sure he did this for free.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Wasn't Jaleel White in sharknado too?

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

sharktamer posted:

Wasn't Jaleel White in sharknado too?

Close. He was in Mega Shark Versus Crocosaurus.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

In some interpretations, immortality simply means immunity to the tyranny of time. There are quite a few works of fiction where you can kill an immortal, but they just don't age.

You need to take their head to get their Quickening.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Jesus Christ, that child actor is like listening to nails on chalkboard. Pass.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_nSVsusFQ

A trailer for the upcoming Dragon Ball Z 2015 theatrical film, Revival of “F”, was teased early Friday morning on the Japanese television program Mezamashi TV.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

If you're going to repeat footage so much just make the teaser shorter.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Am I the only one who hates the animation in all the new stuff that's come out since the series ended? It just looks wrong to me.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hm. Goku looks pissed enough that I'd think that he's taking Freeza seriously, so then I wonder why no Super Saiyan?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Esroc posted:

Am I the only one who hates the animation in all the new stuff that's come out since the series ended? It just looks wrong to me.

Yes, the animation in that trailer looks amazing.

Also, tracksuit is totally Gohan. He's wearing glasses and goes Super Saiyan.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Also, tracksuit is totally Gohan. He's wearing glasses and goes Super Saiyan.

Gohan doesn't need to go super saiyan.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

Gohan doesn't need to go super saiyan.

Yeah, but Yamcha can't.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, but Yamcha can't.

Are you sure? Maybe he just hasn't been trying enough.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Esroc posted:

Yeah, good animation sure does suck.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Hm. Goku looks pissed enough that I'd think that he's taking Freeza seriously, so then I wonder why no Super Saiyan?

Didn't he gain the ability to use 'God' powers in his regular form at the end of the last film? Because you see the pink god aura up against frieza's at one point without the golden hair etc.

I gotta watch battle of the gods again.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Berrus does say that the entire transformation business is fundamentally flawed, which I figured was very much a comment from Toriyama.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

In case anyone's wondering, Freeza's line in that trailer is "Allow me to show you an even greater form!"

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 5, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Caros posted:

Didn't he gain the ability to use 'God' powers in his regular form at the end of the last film? Because you see the pink god aura up against frieza's at one point without the golden hair etc.

I gotta watch battle of the gods again.

The god form actually raised his base power level to be almost as high as when he's transformed, so there's not actually a huge amount of difference.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

The god form actually raised his base power level to be almost as high as when he's transformed, so there's not actually a huge amount of difference.

...Huh?

Didn't Beerus just clown SSJ3 Goku but actually had to try vs God Goku?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Huh?

Didn't Beerus just clown SSJ3 Goku but actually had to try vs God Goku?

Beerus still had to try after Goku powered down from super saiyan god, because he was still almost as strong. Goku's kept the power from the transformation without having to transform, is what I'm saying.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 5, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

In case anyone's wondering, Freeza's line in that trailer is "Allow me to show you an even great form!"

Well that isn't a surprise. Freeza wouldn't be much of a threat without some new trick up his sleeve.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

e X posted:

Berrus does say that the entire transformation business is fundamentally flawed, which I figured was very much a comment from Toriyama.
See, while I believe that that is going to be a truth that Toriyama is pushing in the upcoming stories and Beerus (as a very wise and powerful fighter) is meant to be a mouthpiece for it, it mostly makes Beerus sound like an rear end who is completely ignorant of the impact of his own power. Sure, when you have the power level of a God transformation doesn't do poo poo and ends up ultimately being a waste of energy, but there was no way the Z Fighters could beat Freeza/Cell without such a power boost.

Basically, he comes off as the power level equivalent of a rich aristocrat wondering why his tax money (which he probably doesn't pay) goes to welfare, after all if those poors just worked harder and got a better education they'd be where he is.

EDIT: I mean the thing is, at the end of DBZ, the closest comparisons to Freeza's power level are probably Tien and Krillin. Every single alien or half alien could probably chump him.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 5, 2014

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Thinking about it, end-of-DBZ Goku could probably easily beat Freeza without going Super Saiyan.

Caros
May 14, 2008

RZApublican posted:

Thinking about it, end-of-DBZ Goku could probably easily beat Freeza without going Super Saiyan.

Without a doubt. In the OVA special they have the villain that 'Rivals Freeza' and the only reason Goku even bothers with Super Saiyan is to make things quick and easy.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

In case anyone's wondering, Freeza's line in that trailer is "Allow me to show you an even greater form!"

I’d like to add that Piccolo's line is (loosely) "He came back on a completely different level from us."

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

I’d like to add that Piccolo's line is (loosely) "He came back on a completely different level from us."

Hah. Now that's a line that could mean one of two very different things, isn't it?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So why does it seem like Freiza is always the go-to villain when it comes to DBZ? I've never really thought of him as the most significant or most important, so did Japanese fans just latch onto him or something?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Spiritus Nox posted:

Hah. Now that's a line that could mean one of two very different things, isn't it?

That's fair, but by his tone and word choice, it seems to indicate that Freeza is way stronger than they had any reason to expect.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Momomo posted:

So why does it seem like Freiza is always the go-to villain when it comes to DBZ? I've never really thought of him as the most significant or most important, so did Japanese fans just latch onto him or something?

He's pretty iconic in design, he did the whole villainous transformations thing first, and it took a whole season to kill the fucker.
No seriously, the Frieza fight is just as long as the Namek arc that proceeds it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Momomo posted:

Dude has his own heavy metal song.

Frieza was built up for an entire arc as being preposterously strong, whose power and influence were on a scale completely removed from anyone in the series up to that point, and when they finally fought him he lived up to it and then some. Cell was the last in a villain bait-and-switch, and Majin Buu's more powerful but not really more intimidating or sinister looking.

And unlike Piccolo or Vegeta, Goku never overpowered him during the fight. It took literally everyone working together for Goku to land what was at that time the largest energy attack in the whole series on Frieza.

And then he shrugged it off, blew a hole in Piccolo's chest, and killed Krillin, which at the time looked to be for good.

So basically it comes down to him being monumentally stronger than anyone that came before, and having his shtick copied by anyone that came after.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Momomo posted:

Vegeta became a good guy, Cell got beaten by Gohan and while buu was interesting his final form is more of a force of nature than anything. If you're looking for a previous villain to use in these films it pretty much has to be Freeza.

As to why he is the go-to? Probably for the above reasons. If Goku had beaten Cell he'd probably be the iconic villain, but because he got beaten by Gohan he is well thought of but not iconic. Freeza is simply the last dragonball villain that Goku beat one on one, frankly he's the last dragonball villain period that gets beat one on one so it isn't surprising.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Freeza is also easily the most terrifying. Vegeta ended up switching sides, Cell was a dick but mostly practiced sportsmanlike conduct, and Buu went from whimsical and silly to merely menacing and without personality and everything in between. But Freeza was a steadfast stone cold bastard who slaughtered kids and cackled while doing it.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Also Freeza killed Goku and Vegeta's dads.

Plus the Freeza fight is the first instance of the Super Saiyan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Saying "Freeza doesn't matter", boggles the mind a bit. The main reason why Cell was such a threat was because he had a part of Freeza inside of him. You might even call him a reincarnation of Freeza with everyone else within as well. Freeza also had the longest fight scene in the entire franchise spanning what, 50 episodes? Counting from when he starts ripping the arm(s) off of Nail. He kickstarted the super saiyan bit and arguably is indirectly responsible for why Buu is as powerful as he is (having absorbed energy from a vastly more powerful than expected Goku and Vegeta, judging by the Kai's reaction) as well as Gohan's SSJ2 form basically powering nearly nearly half of him. He even got the credit for killing Goku's father and destroying planet Vegeta, clearly he's meant more than just be seen as a sort of chump.

• Locked thread