Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also the Lesnar loss, which despite drawing 0 interest on TV at the time, was a really great match (as good as HH and Lesnar are going to have) and only happened because Hogan though the was going to get his win back. Classic Hogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

LordPants posted:

Also the Lesnar loss, which despite drawing 0 interest on TV at the time, was a really great match (as good as HH and Lesnar are going to have) and only happened because Hogan though the was going to get his win back. Classic Hogan.

Lesnar smearing himself with Hogans blood will always be one of the coolest things I have seen in Wrestling.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That Hogan sold that whole thing for as long as he did is amazing. You'd think he would've popped up to work the crowd especially after the blood-smearing bit or once Lesnar left the ring.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II5dE2ZcbVw

He's still got it!!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I remember being absolutely SHOCKED that Hogan jobbed to Lesnar so convincingly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f5VI7PVz3E

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I remember being absolutely SHOCKED that Hogan jobbed to Lesnar so convincingly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f5VI7PVz3E

Eh, hosed by Paul while he was winning, didn't tap or get pinned. Still smells like he had some input.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

natetimm posted:

Eh, hosed by Paul while he was winning, didn't tap or get pinned. Still smells like he had some input.

Well, this was Smackdown booked by Heyman so the heels normally won via some sort of cheating because he's old school like that. Also, Hulk didn't tap out because of the whole squeezing the life outta Hulkamania, and even more they did the super oldschool "heel refuses to break the hold" ONTOP of a post-match beat down with a chair + blood so they really just wanted to wreck Hogan. Also Heyman was big on those types of finishes where where there's interference but it always ends with a decisive finish.

What's even better is before that match Hogan cuts this amazing 80s Promo and it was so awesome. :allears:

edit: here's the figure4 of the episode

Bryan Alvarez posted:

Brock stormed into Hogan’s locker-room. He wanted to make sure the Hulkster wanted to go through with this. “You’re so young, full of life,” Hogan said. “You’ve got it made. But if I was you, I’d lay it all on the line.” He said Brock should put his WWE Title shot on the line. Brock said sure, which caused Paul to freak out like an idiot. “HE PLAYED YOU! YOU GOT SUCKERED!”

Lesnar beat Hogan. The Hulkster got his usual insane reaction coming out, and the match had great heat. Say what you will about Hogan, but he knows how to play the crowd better than almost anyone. Lesnar did a great job himself. His facials were great too, especially after Hogan made a comeback early and clotheslined him out of the ring. Brock was not afraid to beat the crap out of the old guy, even hitting him with a powerbomb at one point. Hogan Hulked Up and hit the big boot, but Brock popped right up and went for an F-5. Hogan, the wily veteran that he is, slipped behind, hit the boot and the LEGDROP OF DOOM~! Brock kicked out, taking the wind out of the crowd’s sails. Brock then took the wind out of Hogan’s sails, and also his lungs, with an F-5. Hogan sold it like he’d broken another hip. Brock clamped on a bearhug. Crowd chanted “HOGAN!” loudly, but it was to no avail. Ref raised the arm, and it actually dropped three times for the submission. Hogan even bled from the mouth to make it look more dramatic. Loud “ROCKY!” chants as Brock left the ring. He ended up coming back down the ramp, grabbing a chair, and clonking Hogan with it. Hogan gigged and bled like a madman. Complete and utter destruction. Hogan honestly deserves years of happiness and comfort in retirement for all he’s done for these young guys the last three months. I’m not being sarcastic either. Show ended with Brock rubbing his hands all over Hogan’s head and then wiping the blood on his torso. There is absolutely no way this could have possibly been done better. Quite possibly the best Smackdown of all time.

It's "The best Smackdown of All Time" because it had some Amazing Smackdown Six stuff in it and some great promo work. Kurt Angle goes something like "Rey Mysterio was the illegal man, and he's an Illegal citizen" :allears:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It's a little ironic that a huge number of people will remember Hogan most fondly for the brief window of time where he had no creative control and put a bunch of guys over

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

This was also around the time he tapped out to Angle, right?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

St Evan Echoes posted:

It's a little ironic that a huge number of people will remember Hogan most fondly for the brief window of time where he had no creative control and put a bunch of guys over

Yeah wasn't that around the time where he was given the title during a nostalgia run and business started to tank because people were sick of the Hulkster?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Hulk won the title and lost it at the next PPV so I always imagine business must have dropped like 500% to have such a short reign.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

oldpainless posted:

Hulk won the title and lost it at the next PPV so I always imagine business must have dropped like 500% to have such a short reign.

I don't think him being the champ was the ever the long-term game plan. Just fan service.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oldpainless posted:

Ratings nosedived after he got it and they realized they'd made a huge mistake in not realizing how quickly nostalgia wears off.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Also the undisputed title rule was that every main eventer got it at for at least a month unless they were Austin

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Twelve year old me was so pissed when Hogan won the title. Who cares about this bald old man the Rock is way cooler and just beat him at Wrestlemania!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This is still the place for Retro observers right?

ruh roh raggy.

quote:

The family of Erich Kulas filed charges against Jerome Young (New Jack) for assault and battery and assault with a deadly weapon stemming from the 11/22 incident in Revere, MA, but the charges were thrown out by a magistrate in Boston on 9/23 citing a lack of evidence and feeling this is a case that would be better served in a civil lawsuit rather than with criminal charges. The Kulas family has yet to file a civil suit against ECW, and no doubt the filing of the charges, which actually took place several weeks ago, was a tactical move to strengthen a potential civil case, but with the charges being thrown out, it won't end up helping their case. It would be foolish to try and predict how this would go if there was a case filed, however there are a lot of statements that Kulas has made in the media regarding the incident that could backfire on him, however the potential risk to ECW of playing a tape of the incident in front of an unpredictable jury could be huge if it were to get that far.

WCW.txt

quote:

The situation with Hall was kind of strange, as there was an argument before Nitro on 9/22 in West Valley City, UT between he and WCW promoter Zane Bresloff about the short and generally unsatisfactory main events with all the big houses at the arenas of late. Then Hall came down with a bad back (although those close to him say he had been complaining of the back injury over the weekend) and showed up for the weekend shows on crutches

Bresloff was a smart dude from memory and was a key factor in WCW turning it around. Also was one of Dave's sources.

Also,

quote:

Bill Goldberg got his second upset over Barbarian with a suplex slam in 3:09. They said Goldberg was a former All-SEC defensive lineman at the University of Georgia from 1986-89 and played with the Falcons. Barbarian seemed visibly less than pleased having to put him over. Goldberg has potential and size but this was bad.

More wcw.txt

quote:

Flair did a phone interview. He said he wanted to break up the Horseman and told Benoit and McMichael to go their own way and said what happened was his wake-up call. To show how much the left hand knows in this company what the right hand is doing, the booking committee just released shows and had promos cut for all sorts of shows with the Horseman managed by Arn Anderson against the NWO at house shows in early November, so go figure

Luger racked Wrath in 4:44 of an incredibly bad match even by Luger standards.

Finally Giant beat Hennig via DQ in 3:22 when all the NWO interfered and Sting made the save and cleaned house to a huge pop at the end. Match wasn't good, but Hennig did get a big pop when Giant went up for his fisherman suplex and kicked out.

WWF

quote:

Raw is Run-in DQ's on 9/29 was taped 9/23 in Albany, NY before 4,174 fans paying $69,498.1

quote:

McMahon (who wasn't selling an injury at all from the previous week) confronted Austin and gave him three alternatives by next week, either get a doctors release, sign a waiver absolving the WWF of any liability in case of injury or be fired. Obviously he picks door number two since he's starting back in the ring in what will be billed as non-sanctioned matches on 10/18 in Fort Worth. In real life, that depends on him being cleared by a doctor although the belief is he's recovered well and is feeling good. Real good segment. Head Bangers kept the tag titles losing via DQ to Jesus & Jose when Godwinns attacked Boricuas as they had the match won in 10:20. Those tag belts sure mean a lot these days. Crowd was dead, match was awful and rating was in the toilet. Owen Hart did an interview wearing an Owen 3:16 shirt saying "I just broke your neck" on the back with a SWAT team with him. As it turned out, one of the guys took their helmet off and it was Austin who gave Hart the stunner.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 2, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Re: Mass Transit and dumb statements, didn't the dad call New Jack the N word or something? I remember a story from New Jack about Paul Heyman having to testify in defense of New Jack in court for something, they made him repeat the exact words and that was one of them. New Jack said Paul looked right at him and mouthed "I'm so sorry" before saying it and was afraid he'd never want to work for him anymore. Maybe it was some other incident.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LordPants posted:

This is still the place for Retro observers right?

ruh roh raggy.

WCW.txt

Bresloff was a smart dude from memory and was a key factor in WCW turning it around. Also was one of Dave's sources.

Also,

More wcw.txt

WWF

It is I am just weeks behind on my back issues :(

Also:

STING IS CHAMPION. HOGAN IS VANQUISHED. THE NWO IS IN CHAOS!

Tonight it is all the fallout from SUPERBRAWL VIIIIIIIII!!!!!

We will see:

Lex Luger vs Curt Hennig

DDP vs Hammer

Kaz Hayashi vs Ultimo Dragon

Raven vs Chris Benoit

Lenny Lane vs Chris Jericho for the Cruiserweight Title

VINCENT vs Rick Steiner

Yuji Nagata vs Saturn

FORMER CHAMPION Renegade vs Booker T for the TV title

Konnan vs Lizmark Jr.

Vicious and Delicious vs High Voltage

Eddy vs Disco

Brad Armstrong vs Ric Flair? (This might be Flair's last match before the incident)

Scott Hall vs Sting for the WCW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE (NOT THE nWo TITLE you odor losers!)

Come at 8 PM for Nitro and 7:30 PM for NECW!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
RIP Rick Martel

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

LordPants posted:

Well, this was Smackdown booked by Heyman so the heels normally won via some sort of cheating because he's old school like that. Also, Hulk didn't tap out because of the whole squeezing the life outta Hulkamania, and even more they did the super oldschool "heel refuses to break the hold" ONTOP of a post-match beat down with a chair + blood so they really just wanted to wreck Hogan. Also Heyman was big on those types of finishes where where there's interference but it always ends with a decisive finish.

What's even better is before that match Hogan cuts this amazing 80s Promo and it was so awesome. :allears:

edit: here's the figure4 of the episode

It's "The best Smackdown of All Time" because it had some Amazing Smackdown Six stuff in it and some great promo work. Kurt Angle goes something like "Rey Mysterio was the illegal man, and he's an Illegal citizen" :allears:

Also, it's one of the 5 episodes from 2002 that's on the Network, so if anyone wants to see it, it's there.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Holy poo poo Eric Bischoff is doing a loving meet and greet/Q&A at a Dave and Buster's in Philly the day of the Rumble. How can I NOT attend?!

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

haljordan posted:

Holy poo poo Eric Bischoff is doing a loving meet and greet/Q&A at a Dave and Buster's in Philly the day of the Rumble. How can I NOT attend?!

The only wrestling personality/chain eatery combo that would be more appropriate than Bischoff at a DnB's would be if, like, Tajiri did one at a Sizzler.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ryback at a Panera.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Dave and Buster's actually is where the big boys play.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The only wrestling personality/chain eatery combo that would be more appropriate than Bischoff at a DnB's would be if, like, Tajiri did one at a Sizzler.

Pssh, Tajiri would clearly demand Waffle House.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Pssh, Tajiri would clearly demand Waffle House.

Every tough guy east Asian dude I have ever known has loving loved Sizzler, I don't know why or how.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Every tough guy east Asian dude I have ever known has loving loved Sizzler, I don't know why or how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylKr3KQVyp8

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

As a 2nd gen southeast asian I can confirm that the Sizzler (always THE Sizzler) is loving awesome. The cheese toast is a serious contributing factor.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Scott Steiner at Cracker Barrel.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I'm only part Asian and I grew up in neighborhoods that had a bunch of Sizzlers. This is an amazing revelation for me.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I had a sizzler nearby growing up but now it's a karaoke joint. I didn't even think those restaurants existed any more.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
https://www.sizzler.com/locations

One in Queens, one in Orlando, and the rest are all over the west coast. I remember there used to be about a dozen just on Long Island years ago.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Well, that certainly wasn't the "Parts Unknown" I was hoping for, no Papa Shango or Warrior.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

https://www.sizzler.com/locations

One in Queens, one in Orlando, and the rest are all over the west coast. I remember there used to be about a dozen just on Long Island years ago.

Only two on the East Coast? Bloody hell, makes me realise how drat long it's been since I last went to the US, when going on a two-week trip to the Southeast I'd see Sizzler in Montgomery, St. Augustine, Atlanta and two or three around Orlando

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

We don't even have Ponderosas here anymore. Our Sizzler closed years ago. My dad went into a Western Sizzlin' in Orlando but it's just not the same.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I'm pretty sure Bischoff is actually working at the Dave and Busters and the meet and greet will be done during his smoke break.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

We don't even have Ponderosas here anymore. Our Sizzler closed years ago. My dad went into a Western Sizzlin' in Orlando but it's just not the same.

What is the difference between a sizzler and say an Outback Steakhouse or Texas Roadhouse or any other generic chain steakhouses?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

What is the difference between a sizzler and say an Outback Steakhouse or Texas Roadhouse or any other generic chain steakhouses?

Not much at this point, but it was one of the first generic chain steakhouses. It was known for individual restaurants employing in-house butchers to provide a higher food quality but I don't know if they do that anymore.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Sizzler looks like a generic buffet restaurant, like Old Country Buffet or the like, and not really a steakhouse at all. Chain buffets are generally absolute garbage-tier restaurants and very popular in the midwest, where Olive Garden is considered fine dining.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Sizzler looks like a generic buffet restaurant, like Old Country Buffet or the like, and not really a steakhouse at all. Chain buffets are generally absolute garbage-tier restaurants and very popular in the midwest, where Olive Garden is considered fine dining.

It was a steakhouse, then they opened a buffet, then it was just a buffet, it went bankrupt because it was disgusting, and now it's a steakhouse again. I probably haven't been in one in 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ok, I'm still seriously trying to wrap my head around this idea of Sizzler an "asian" thing. Titties, can you enlighten me to the ways of our people? To stay on topic, let's talk about Tajiri as well.