Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Kommando posted:

Know Evil Earth tier.

:suspense:

Oh holy gently caress.

----
"time to play Killy"

:aaaaa:

"What do you do when the exterminator is late?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

SageNytell posted:

"What do you do when the exterminator is late?"

"Burn down the apartment"

I've finished the whole thing today. All done.
I am sad its finished, I really grew attached to those characters.

I love Thads "oh gently caress" outbursts and his somber style of acting Fei Yins gradual loss of everything.
Jason i actually picture as Gerrard the square jawed cowboy hat wearing PTSD veteran. With his deep voice and terse dialogue.
Tom played the best social cephalopod in history. Witty wisecracking octopus, unflappable in the face of danger. And his portrayal of Neesum the bro-gorilla was delightful.
Aarons constant "It's like, It's like" really impressed upon us SAIRAC's repeatedly damaged psyche, and was clearly a mental issue, or befuddlement.
Ross, the portrayal of Bartleby as a soft talking, micromanager with a data obsession and an amazingly flexible moral code was heavy, always concerned about his team, but always looking over their shoulders too.
And David, please tell me it was actually David Costabile at the table. He sounded exactly like him. And in his short time put in a stellar performance as Q. Eloquent and never fumbled his words, while managing to have a surprising ally.
Max Jax, even missing characters propel the story forward
And Caleb wove an amazing campaign with plenty of "Oh holy gently caress" moments. I literally had to pull over while listening in the car twice and hold my head as realisation dropped, wide eyed.

Seriously, if you have not listened to this campaign, put some earphones in and start. I've recommended this to people who dont even play RPGs, just for the rollercoaster story.

Now im going to listen to the aftermath episode of RPPR and then... whats next?

As for my players, theyve decided to do a lot of research into a piece of scenery they found in Unit13/14 of the Mechames in Think Before Asking. One of the PCs stowed himself away in a crate and was transported out to the storage yard where he had two days of physically searching and scanning the crates there, so i made up an interesting item for a critical scrounging/investigation roll. A gate artefact, another cylinder, but this was from the Vulcanoid gate, shipped to the outer system by Dante Effervecance, on the Ship "First flight from Mars".
The PC had some gatecrashing interests and i threw him a curio and is far more interested in this item than i predicted. He didnt steal it, but the PCs are now looking into Dante's backstory. So i've said Dante Effervesance is a researcher on Mars who has his name as second author on a few xenolinguistic papers, recently a few on factor dust communication. He has an active mesh presence and has a few hundred pictures on SpaceBook making him seem like a real person. But deeper probing revealed he was sponsored to be on a First in team through the Vulcanoid gate and managed to come back, seemingly with a souvenir.
The PCs have a hunch he may not be real, a fabricated person that the Planetary Consortium Oversight made up to hide black operations.
How far can i weave that conspiracy? They've hacked his email and left a watcher program to aggregate his communiqués for a while. But hes changed his passwords almost immediately.
What could i make this mcguffin and where does it lead?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
There's a ton of scenario hooks in gatecrashing you could tie the artifact into. Have you read it?

Other than that:

1. Artifact is computronium and the hypercorps have figured out how to use it break any form of encryption. They can't fabricate another one, but with it, they could destabilize any government or organization in the solar system.

2. Artifact is actually an exhuman device, an advanced nanoswarm hive that discreetly releases swarms at regular intervals. It was left as a trap and disguised to resemble an alien artifact that would attract hypercorp researchers. The swarms can do all kinds of mischief, but their goal is to subvert any research facility it is kept at.

3. Artifact is a religious item created by a more advanced civilization - if a transhuman studies it, they become obsessed with its transcendent beauty. Researchers form a cult and then try to commit some kind of atrocity or start a revolution.

edit: BTW I plan to have the Know Evil crew show up in various parts of Duality, the current EP campaign. Gerard's already shown up and another one will show up soon.

clockworkjoe fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 13, 2014

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
So who else got a copy of Million Year Echo?

E: ^^^ Might as well guess, Bartlby in the Jovian Wonderland?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

There's a ton of scenario hooks in gatecrashing you could tie the artifact into. Have you read it?

Other than that:

1. Artifact is computronium and the hypercorps have figured out how to use it break any form of encryption. They can't fabricate another one, but with it, they could destabilize any government or organization in the solar system.

2. Artifact is actually an exhuman device, an advanced nanoswarm hive that discreetly releases swarms at regular intervals. It was left as a trap and disguised to resemble an alien artifact that would attract hypercorp researchers. The swarms can do all kinds of mischief, but their goal is to subvert any research facility it is kept at.

3. Artifact is a religious item created by a more advanced civilization - if a transhuman studies it, they become obsessed with its transcendent beauty. Researchers form a cult and then try to commit some kind of atrocity or start a revolution.

edit: BTW I plan to have the Know Evil crew show up in various parts of Duality, the current EP campaign. Gerard's already shown up and another one will show up soon.

Computronium sounds interesting. I also like the idea that this guy doesn't exist and is a fake person, or is a cover identity like Bond for numerous operatives in Oversight. What reason would the PC move it to Phelans Recourse. Perhaps it's the same as the actual equipment that ran the matrioshka brain on Enceladus. Containing working TITAN code.
Or it is a store of egos that didn't make it off earth, now all merged together as a gestalt for running some unfathomable application.

I'd love to include Proxy Blind and Polly-Anna in this but they're around Saturn so their contact is Proxy Summer.

I could make the sponsor for Dante be Q, who is following up on the Factor Lie...

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I haven't had the chance to play a ton of Eclipse Phase but I am planning to eventually run a game; I can't tell if rolling Networking into a single skill would throw thing too out of balance (or even getting rid of it completly?) - anyone have advice on that?

wrong way
Oct 20, 2009

That's ok I guess

Grim posted:

I haven't had the chance to play a ton of Eclipse Phase but I am planning to eventually run a game; I can't tell if rolling Networking into a single skill would throw thing too out of balance (or even getting rid of it completely?) - anyone have advice on that?

I consolidated the networking skills when I ran my first mission (about 8 sessions). If your players are new to the system I would recommend doing the same as long as you don't use networking too much at first. Then further down the line have a networking and rep heavy mission with all the skills. With eclipse phase you kinda want to dedicate a mission to each complex mechanic. Just be sure to know how you will deal with the character sheets as some player may want to keep the same character thru these changes.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Is anyone running a play by post of this?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Martello posted:

Is anyone running a play by post of this?

Here you go. OOC thread is here. It doesn't seem to be updating very often, but I found it an interesting (and hilarious) read.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Drake_263 posted:

Here you go. OOC thread is here. It doesn't seem to be updating very often, but I found it an interesting (and hilarious) read.

Ettin is a horrible slacker who's decided he's too busy modding TG and running a KS to update his PbPs. :colbert:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Sep 19, 2014

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Ettin is a horrible slacker who'se decided he's too busy modding TG and running a KS to update his PbPs. :colbert:

You forgot rpg.net!

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
poo poo, I really wanted to try this game out. I guess I could get really familiar with the main rulebook and run a game myself.

Ooor, sebmojo could run the best game ever.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I've been reading a bunch of Eclipse Phase books and listening to the RPPR podcasts. Really neat system that I will never be able to get my group to play for Reasons. One thing that's struck me, though - the problem of morphs being too expensive/important could have been handled in-universe by explicitly having an EVE Online sort of attitude towards them. "Never flywear something you can't afford to lose."

Combine that being emphasized with a bit of limitation on the customization of morphs and the problem would be mostly resolved.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

GM handwaving/Firewall support can minimize the cost of morphs - for my campaign, which involves a lot of Rimward travel, I just tell PCs what morphs they can get for the next chapter.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I imagine it will help as well when the Morph Recognition cards are ready - just shuffle them up and deal out a couple and those are your options

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

There's always the capacity to either rent morphs for some lesser period of time, which significantly reduces your up-front costs. Or if you're heading to a new destination and don't need the old morphs you can trade things in. Even if someone dies and has to resleeve in a hurry, your insurance will presumably pay for a new one. (Mind you, if you got the morph killed unnecessarily the insurance company will probably bump up your rates because That's How Acturial Science Works.)

Basically you should only have to pay the full cost of a morph if you don't have insurance (this is a terrible idea, mind) or if you need them in addition to what you already have. (This generally only applies to infomorphs or to folks who want to fork themselves.) So long as it's still functional a morph is as fungible as any other piece of gear, so try approaching a morph bank as if it is a dealership for new cars (that stay new once bought and used).

Edit: To be fair when I get my degree it's likely I'll work as an actuary for an insurance company so I may be a titch biased. But only a titch. :v:

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 19, 2014

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I always just let Firewall cover morph costs for planned mission farcasting - it's nice to have some missions where the available morphs aren't ideal, though, and letting the PCs deal with it. I ran that anders sandberg mission involving the hab revolution, and my PCs ended up with a tattered mix of broken cases and flats and maintenance bots as the best that was available via black channels.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Ettin is a horrible slacker who'se decided he's too busy modding TG and running a KS to update his PbPs. :colbert:

Libertad! posted:

You forgot rpg.net!

I keep forgetting people read Adventures In Science. :negative:

I've been playing with making a Logos fanbook because I've had a few people PM me asking if they can use it. Stuff that I get paid to write keeps getting in the way though.

(At first I was worried that it'd be weird to make a fanbook for a "conspiracy and horror" game about a Neptunian habitat for deranged fringe scientists and transhuman dorklords but it's no Dick In A Viking Hat, I am probably okay.)

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
It is a creative setting. You should do it. Ideally you get thrown a couple bucks for it but half of the industry you are in involved self promotion through free releases.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Helical Nightmares posted:

Ideally you get thrown a couple bucks for it

When I get the time to finish it I'm posting it for free; my understanding is that the CC BY-NC-SA license means you can't sell fan stuff and I have plenty of other stuff to sell anyway.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
As much as I enjoy EPs setting, trying to actually portray Rani as the crazy combat daredevil is a bit difficult when doing anything but "I shoot my rifle at the badguy" takes like ten dice rolls and then you can move like a meter in your turn.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Man all this Eclipse Phase talk makes me wish someone would run a game again. I really wanted to play a Reapermorph or one of the new ones from one of the later books, the one with all the playtest stuff like mecha centaurs and little floating drones.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Fortunately there are no rolls in EP to act like the post-Fall equivalent of an LF poster.

Lazy comment about EP not supporting its core narrative with its mechanics.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how many of you have looked through Million Year Echo / played it at a con when it was called Doctrine but I think a lot of the stuff it introduces is really friggin cool like the Belt Builders and their subversion of the Giza artifacts (which confirms that they are legit) and I wonder how soon until they come back to expand upon that

I guess a problem a lot of people profess to having with secrets in a campaign setting is that once you have an official line on them it can invalidate stuff the GM game up with back when it was still shrouded in mystery - I hope that doesn't get in the way in this instance because I wanna know more and the EP writers always come up with something cooler than I would have thought of

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
While EP is very Nineties in some ways, I think its scope and the sheer amount of poo poo floating around makes it pretty resistant to that kind of metagame creep. It's possible, but I don't think it really fits the way they've been writing things.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I need a combat encounter for next week on/above Titan.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Kommando posted:

I need a combat encounter for next week on/above Titan.

St. Catherine Tongs couriering a shipment of morphs somewhere and don't want the PCs to see them?

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

St. Catherine Tongs couriering a shipment of morphs somewhere and don't want the PCs to see them?

and they could be using one of the PC's company ships to do it.
now to include a radio transmission from the past.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Good news for everyone who used to avoid official forums because of the creepy people posting there: MRAs are permabanned. Like, all of them.

quote:

Here's our stance: If you self-define as an MRA, please fire yourself as an Eclipse Phase fan. We don't want you. We want our forums to be open and inclusive, and we don't see the point of debating with you anymore. You have other places on the internet where you can wallow in the awfulness of your male privilege.

While we will not be actively rooting you out, be forewarned that spouting offensive MRA bullshit will get you banned from our forums.

Better late than never, I guess. Some of the people posting there were seriously hosed up.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Way to be literally four months late with that news, dude. That was posted in May. :v:

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Way to be literally four months late with that news, dude. That was posted in May. :v:

Oh.

Well, I'm dumb and checked the date of the last post. Sorry!

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It is good news though, can't fault you on that one

I just received one of these in the post, trying to find some cool sci-fi art to replace a few of the panels from this thing - any suggestions?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Gonna resurrect/resleeve this thread: Fate rules for EP are now out for playtesting - http://eclipsephase.com/readme-ep-transhuman-fate-playtest-forum-guidelines

Also, I'm running an adventure set in the Jovian Republic right now. It turns out when players don't have access to medichines or healing vats, damage is hard to heal.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Got my signed copy of Morph Recognition Guide today, good poo poo :)

Has anyone tried out the FATE conversion yet? I never played FATE before so have no idea if it's good by those standards but it seems okay by EP standards if that makes sense?

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
I was reading the rules of firing modes and was a little confused by burst fire. One complex action gets you two bursts, each a separate roll. It then goes on to say that a burst can be fired against two targets or concentrated on one. If I fire two bursts spread to two targets each, is that four rolls?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

I've always house ruled it to a single attack made with a +10 to hit or +1d10 damage. It's a lot easier to run that way.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Bear Enthusiast posted:

I was reading the rules of firing modes and was a little confused by burst fire. One complex action gets you two bursts, each a separate roll. It then goes on to say that a burst can be fired against two targets or concentrated on one. If I fire two bursts spread to two targets each, is that four rolls?

The game doesn't actually seem to say. Bursts can be used to make one attack against several targets, but there are no explicit rules for handing attacks against multiple targets. You could handle it either as a single attack-roll against [number of targets] defence rolls, comparing MoS to see whether each target was hit, or handle it as [number of targets] attack and defence rolls. Unless there's a clarifying example hidden away somewhere, the rules don't say which to use.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
I actually found some clarification, in the case of burst or full auto fire against multiple targets there's only one roll per burst that is applied against multiple defense rolls. So for burst fire each burst gets a separate roll, each roll when then have two Fray/2 rolls to defend against it (assuming each burst had two targets 1 meter or less from each other.)

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Drones?

Drones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL0zLHLMBVw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Alright, this time I think I have an actual inconsistency/vagueness in the rules.

So we have the following bit describing XP:

quote:

Every morph with mesh inserts has the capability to transmit or record their experiences, a form of technology called experience playback, or XP.

Which is then corroberated in the description for the Basic Mesh Inserts implant (specifically the Cranial Computer component)

quote:

It also processes XP data, allowing the user to experience other people’s recorded memories, and also allowing the user to share their own XP sensory input with others in real-time.

So alright, seems like XP is just sort of a thing you can do with your mesh inserts. The book says storage space is effectively unlimited, so why not lifelog all your poo poo for later perusal. Seems pretty setting appropriate.

The problem arises from the Mnemonic Enhancement augmentation, which says:

quote:

character with this augmentation and a cortical stack can access digital recordings of all of the sensory data they have experienced in XP format (and they may share these recordings with others).

So is that implant completely redundant? Any thoughts? An easy fix is to just take away the ability to record XP from the Basic Mesh Inserts or just remove Mnemonic Augmentation, but I'm not sure which to go with. Recording XP seems like it would be an interesting thing for a character to have to invest in, albeit something like 250 credits isn't much of an investment.

• Locked thread