Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Wait, I thought people were talking about the line in JP1 where he says he's always "on the lookout for a future ex-Mrs. Malcolm."

The line in Lost World is "you like to have kids, you just don’t want to be with them, do you?"

That's "have", not "make". Kelly is talking about how Malcolm thinks she's already perfect, amazing, and inspirational - so, in his view, she doesn't need guidance. She's not talking about how much her dad likes to gently caress. The character is twelve years old.

Good lord. She's talking about how he, her biological father, is not around that much. There is nothing in the movie to even imply that she's adopted, and plenty of evidence that she is his daughter, which is what anyone would naturally assume anyway, given the lack of evidence to the contrary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Wandle Cax posted:

Good lord. She's talking about how he, her biological father, is not around that much. There is nothing in the movie to even imply that she's adopted, and plenty of evidence that she is his daughter, which is what anyone would naturally assume anyway, given the lack of evidence to the contrary.

A character in the film comments on how there's zero family resemblance. Because she's black and he's Jeff Goldblum.

Also, the exact lines:

Malcolm: You’re your own person, and you always have been. You don’t need a parent, you just need someone to pay the rent and try to keep up with you until you take over the world. You amaze me. You’re my inspiration.

Kelly: You like to have kids, you just don’t want to be with them, do you?

She's not talking about genetics. She's talking about the 'you're my inspiration' bullshit. That's why these lines are written together in a script.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 5, 2014

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

A character in the film comments on how there's zero family resemblance. Because she's black and he's Jeff Goldblum.

Do you really not know how genetics works or it this is just some kind of weird joke. Also her comment is in response to his bullshit explanation about why he's not around her much. Also "have kids" generally refers to biologically having kids unless specified otherwise. Carry on twisting the text of the film to fit your fascinating reading though.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Wandle Cax posted:

Do you really not know how genetics works or it this is just some kind of weird joke. Also her comment is in response to his bullshit explanation about why he's not around her much. Also "have kids" generally refers to biologically having kids unless specified otherwise. Carry on twisting the text of the film to fit your fascinating reading though.

The film does specify otherwise, and that is 'how genetics works'. It's not impossible for Jeff Goldblum to have a kid who looks like Vanessa Lee Chester, but very unlikely. Spielberg included a line in the film to draw attention to this unlikelihood.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
If you don't like taking care of kids but like "having" them, what can "having" kids be but sex? What, Ian just enjoys the idea that there are kids he adopted and then abandoned?

Edit: I guess it can refer to having someone to carry your name but that still only makes sense with a blood relation.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 5, 2014

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

The Lost World is not a film of nuance. She's his biological daughter, end of story.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I'm not saying SMG is right, but have you guys really never heard a parent of an adopted kid saying something like "we have two kids"? They don't act like it's a dang business relationship.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's explicitly stated. He likes having someone who'll amaze and inspire him. Malcolm loves his daughter, and they do spend time together, but he has a very 'hands-off' parenting style. He's not a generic deadbeat dad.

Hopefully people realize that this whole family drama is a metaphor for the larger dinosaur story (and vice-versa). Hammond is an absent father who lets the dinosaurs grow up 'naturally', 'paying the rent and trying to keep up with them until they take over the world.' Hammond likes having dinosaurs, but he doesn't like being with them - and he didn't have sex with a parasaurolophus.

Malcolm clearly states that he tried being an authority figure in Kelly's life, but felt he was terribly bad at it. So he let Kelly's mother take over. This is a basic metaphor for Site B, where Hammond is letting 'mother nature' take control of Jurassic Park. It's the basic premise of the film.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I don't see why she has to be adopted for that incredibly obvious reading to work? Unless you're just uncomfortable with her being black?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Jurassic Park in 'black daughter' unpredictable genetics subtext shocker.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't see why she has to be adopted for that incredibly obvious reading to work? Unless you're just uncomfortable with her being black?

I didn't say she has to be adopted. She could be from a different relationship.

As in the first film, race and class are important. The first scene of Jurassic Park is a black man dying in a horrific workplace accident. Hammond profits off of Dominican mining operations and walks around in plantation clothes. Jurassic Park itself uses an 'African' font to look 'primitive', when the font was actually created in Germany.

The Malcolm character's response to this was all "white men suck, leave nature be". And that's where we're at when this film starts: with Malcolm seeing his attempt at 'building a family' as a failed experiment. And that basic language - 'experiment' - is a weird choice for a generic fatherhood story, but fits fine alongside all the weirder family units on display. The film's all about artifice and how there's no such thing as a nature. If anything, it's simply more interesting on a character level if Malcolm feels he doesn't belong partly because - even though he loves her - he's not Kelly's 'natural' father.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Dec 5, 2014

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Are we still talking about the new one with Chris Pratt on a motorcycle riding with raptors?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

nexus6 posted:

Are we still talking about the new one with Chris Pratt on a motorcycle riding with raptors?

Yes. In this film Chris Pratt was born a poor black child.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Chris Pratt is one of Malcom's other adopted kids

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Jeff Goldblum made love to a velociraptor and Chris Pratt is the result! It all makes sense now.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Like the other Jurassic Park movies without Goldblum, this one will be bad.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
ITT: nerds arguing over wether a girl in a movie about dinosaurs is adopted or not because of the colour of her skin.

This has been an enlightening two pages. :v:

I think the most interesting part of Jurassic World, from this fan's perspective will be how they managed to make the park successful and up and running flawlessly up until the events of this film, as Crichton's main themes have always been about the perils of genetics and the futurism (whilst making an entertaining story), so it'll be interesting to see how the new film compares to the views he had.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Clearly they hired more than two programmers.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

nexus6 posted:

Clearly they hired more than two programmers.

I'm sure they spared no expense.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm just going to go ahead and keep thinking that they cast a black girl because they liked her and thought she was right for the part and then threw in that line about there being no family resemblance because they know people are morons and would be distracted by it.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 5, 2014

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Basebf555 posted:

I'm just going to go ahead and keep thinking that they cast a black girl because they liked her and thought she was right for the part and then threw in that line about there being no family resemblance because they know people are morons and would be distracted by it.

David Koepp's script specifies that Kelly is African-American.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

David Koepp's script specifies that Kelly is African-American.

And you're sure she wasn't cast before the script was written? Lost World was a HUGE movie so it wouldn't shock me if the basic plot and characters were mapped out before a scriptwriter even got a shot at it.

But yes, that fact forces me to admit that there may be more to it than just casting.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Wikipedia says that she's his daughter from a failed marriage and Wikipedia never lies, so yeah...

also

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Why-is-Jeff-Goldblums-Daughter-Black-in-Jurassic-Park-2/366240491491

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

And you're sure she wasn't cast before the script was written? Lost World was a HUGE movie so it wouldn't shock me if the basic plot and characters were mapped out before a scriptwriter even got a shot at it.

Kelly is a combination of the two children in the Lost World novel, one of whom was black. She carries the novel's theme of nurture. The velociraptors in the novel were brutal and chaotic because they hadn't been taught how to behave by adults. In the film, she acts out to rebel against Ian's hands-off parenting. Ian admires chaos and worships Kelly's natural state, but without discipline, she won't reach her full potential. Her relationship to Ian Malcolm was invented for the film and parallels Spielberg's adoption of two black children, Theo and Mikaela.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Facepalm Ranger posted:

I think the most interesting part of Jurassic World, from this fan's perspective will be how they managed to make the park successful and up and running flawlessly up until the events of this film, as Crichton's main themes have always been about the perils of genetics and the futurism (whilst making an entertaining story), so it'll be interesting to see how the new film compares to the views he had.
Probably by having a good security system/staff. Not hiring shady fat looking slobs who keep complaining about their pay.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nipplebox posted:

Kelly is a combination of the two children in the Lost World novel, one of whom was black. She carries the novel's theme of nurture. The velociraptors in the novel were brutal and chaotic because they hadn't been taught how to behave by adults. In the film, she acts out to rebel against Ian's hands-off parenting. Ian admires chaos and worships Kelly's natural state, but without discipline, she won't reach her full potential. Her relationship to Ian Malcolm was invented for the film and parallels Spielberg's adoption of two black children, Theo and Mikaela.

Still seems just as likely to me that Spielberg, knowing that the two kids had to be combined into one for the film, chose to cast a black actress because he's progressive and also happened to think she was the best actress for the part. I'm not really buying that her relationship with Malcom is meant to be a parallel to his real-life adoptions, that he adopted black kids only really proves that race isn't a hang-up for him.

Edit: And I'm not trying to do the typical "you're thinking about the movie too much" thing. I just don't think this particular reading works.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 5, 2014

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Still seems just as likely to me that Spielberg, knowing that the two kids had to be combined into one for the film, chose to cast a black actress because he's progressive and also happened to think she was the best actress for the part. I'm not really buying that her relationship with Malcom is meant to be a parallel to his real-life adoptions, that he adopted black kids only really proves that race isn't a hang-up for him.

Given this director, it seems unlikely to me for the Jewish man with fatherhood issues and a black daughter to be a coincidence.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nipplebox posted:

Given this director, it seems unlikely to me for the Jewish man with fatherhood issues and a black daughter to be a coincidence.

I think a coincidence is exactly what it is. One of the children in the book is black, the Ian Malcom character is probably Jewish and is played by a Jewish actor. Neither of these characters were created by Spielberg. The kid character in Lost World(film) had to have a reason to be there and there aren't any other appropriate characters to attach her to. Spielberg happens to be a person who would cast someone he feels strongly about regardless of race.

Normally I wouldn't go with "its a coincidence" as an explanation for something in film but in this case I'm not seeing anything in the actual text of the movie that supports the other reading, with the exception of the family resemblance line.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Children from mixed race marriages look significantly more like one parent's race than the other all the time. I don't see what's weird about it unless someone's under the impression that Malcolm is super racist. Her mom was black and she happened to get more of her appearance from that parent.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

I think a coincidence is exactly what it is. One of the children in the book is black, the Ian Malcom character is probably Jewish and is played by a Jewish actor. Neither of these characters were created by Spielberg. The kid character in Lost World(film) had to have a reason to be there and there aren't any other appropriate characters to attach her to. Spielberg happens to be a person who would cast someone he feels strongly about regardless of race.

The details of the adaptation process don't matter. It's difficult to believe that Spielberg of all people would make a film about a Jewish father and his black daughter without considering the daughter he adopted a year prior, this man who told the story of his parents' divorce using a $1.5 million puppet.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nipplebox posted:

The details of the adaptation process don't matter. It's difficult to believe that Spielberg of all people would make a film about a Jewish father and his black daughter without considering the daughter he adopted a year prior, this man who told the story of his parents' divorce using a $1.5 million puppet.

I mean, yea he "considered it" in the sense that he doesn't give a poo poo about the race of his own kids, so he therefore doesn't care about the race of Malcom's kid. Its just not something that's an issue for him. To me that's a simpler, easier to believe explanation.

Edit: Eh, lets just drop it, its a pretty stupid debate anyway.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 5, 2014

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

I mean, yea he "considered it" in the sense that he doesn't give a poo poo about the race of his own kids, so he therefore doesn't care about the race of Malcom's kid. Its just not something that's an issue for him. To me that's a simpler, easier to believe explanation.

I doubt Spielberg would have called attention to the lack of "family resemblance" if he believed in race erasure.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Nipplebox posted:

I doubt Spielberg would have called attention to the lack of "family resemblance" if he believed in race erasure.

Spielberg has actually talked about adoption at length. On Larry King live, he's said that racism is obviously a real thing, but that adoption has created a sort of race-neutral zone in the specific context of his family unit. If adoption were 'universalized', he says, then racism would cease to exist. And that's exactly what we see in Lost World: it's refreshingly free of the typical Harry Potter "you're not my real dad!" shenanigans, but people looking at the family from the outside see Kelly's race as an elephant in the room. That happens in the film.

Even if you discount the adoption aspect there, Sarah absolutely steps in as a mother figure for Kelly by the end. Same diff.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Shutthefuckupasaurus

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Can we please start talking about Dinosaurs again? Here- i'll start.

I really hope we get to actually see Baryonyx this time- it's technically been on the part roster since JP1, but never actually been in a scene.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Dinosaurs are only onscreen in Jurassic Park for about 15 minutes. The film is mostly about a group of scientists and intellectuals sitting around engaging in philosophical debate.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Dinosaurs are only onscreen in Jurassic Park for about 15 minutes. The film is mostly about a group of scientists and intellectuals sitting around engaging in philosophical debate.

So Godzilla 2014 really is a rip off of Jurassic Park.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Peanut President posted:

So Godzilla 2014 really is a rip off of Jurassic Park.

Imagine if a T-Rex in Jurassic World ended a fight as cool as Godzilla did.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Doflamingo posted:

Jeff Goldblum made love to a velociraptor and Chris Pratt is the result! It all makes sense now.

He couldn't resist looking up their skirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah. The first movie never made any changes to the dinosaurs to make them more exciting to the viewer in a way. Things like giving the T-Rex binocular vision, frilly poison spit, or making the raptors twice as big as they should have been.

T. Rex did have binocular vision.

Macaluso posted:

The t-rex in san diego IS great and so is the t-rex roaring infront of the backdrop of the city and so is everyone in the boat somehow torn to pieces by the t-rex that was inside the big cargo hold

I always assumed that meant there were raptors on board the boat as well and they must have escaped into the city.

JP3 should have been about a colony of raptors living in the sewers and emerging at night to eat the homeless and drunks.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 6, 2014

• Locked thread