Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

For the record I agree with this, I just get annoyed when pointing out the flaws of G-Reco gets me dogpiled.

Because the bulk of your complaints are ignoring things stated onscreen or talking about how characters don't do 100% realistic things. Like this isn't a case of talking about the shows actual flaws, you're complaining about things that happen in literally every other Gundam show. You call them 'plot holes' in several cases where they are things explained onscreen and no matter how much people point that out you refuse to acknowledge it. You're doing it even now.

Caros posted:

"Fight! Fight!" - From Bellri's group. I assume they are training to become the 1010'th Capital Guard Fight'n Engineers.

That is literally a goddamn sports cheer. Like a real-world one.

Pictured: Actual War.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Caros posted:

Other lines from the first episode include:

"Fight! Fight!" - From Bellri's group. I assume they are training to become the 1010'th Capital Guard Fight'n Engineers.

Honestly, chucking that up to generic cheerleader-isms in Japan. FIGHT just seems to be used in any type of anime where they need to fire themselves up, even things such as tests...

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Caros posted:

Other lines from the first episode include:

They're a bunch of high schoolers/college students getting amped the gently caress up about going out in space. Frankly I'd do something similar. Probably not yell fight in pseudo Japanese but definitely something along those lines.

edit: Pfffft wow I got beat on this one.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Caros posted:

Rectens are the most obvious example. I don't think the Rectens were breaking the taboo before this point because armed mobile suits seemed to be okay, its just development past a certain point that is really troublesome.
I don't believe Rectens are combat suits. I'll be honest, I might be forgetting something, but I don't recall us ever seeing any of them armed. I thought they had to be retrofitted into Recsnows before they could be used in anything but impromptu combat.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Eiba posted:

I don't believe Rectens are combat suits. I'll be honest, I might be forgetting something, but I don't recall us ever seeing any of them armed. I thought they had to be retrofitted into Recsnows before they could be used in anything but impromptu combat.

Rectens only have the Torch and the manipulator arms (going by the tech specs). The Torch can fuction as a really crappy beam rifle but thats it.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
There are actually a couple using beam rifles back in episode two. In fact, they appear to be the beam rifles made for the Cait Siths:

Edit: Unless the beam rifles came first. :tinfoil:

I don't know what the tinfoil hat is for. They clearly knew what beam rifles were in episode one.

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 5, 2014

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Bell told us way back: it's all made to the International Standard.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
Its interesting that they make a point of MS being made to a standard. Some Gundam things had some excuse for why factions couldn't effectively just pick up a gun off a downed enemy, be it incompatibility or something special in the drat things hand. Though, even though this allows the Rectens to use a beam rifle, at the very least if you look at the "default" setups it's really not meant for combat. The ones around the tower having rifles are probably for doing the guarding thing but if you had the Big Arms equipped, you were pretty much on maintenance duty.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The international standard makes sense because it's been the norm since mobile suits were actually invented in G-Reco's setting. Anaheim Electronics is long gone, but the legacy of several decades of their war profiteering clearly isn't.

I, like Caros, once had misgivings about how goofy every character was being about the fighting in G-Reco, but at this point it's really obvious that Tomino's made a deliberate choice to hit that tone in order to satirize the kinds of lovely people, attitudes and events that lead to wars. It's not a mistake that the only rational people in it are the ones trying to defuse the situation and the guy playing everyone to further his own goals, and I'm sure once the moon people turn up they're going to be either equally lovely and delusional or they're going to give everyone a crash course in how awful war actually is.

In the same way the show doesn't explain to you from the outset anything that's going on, and forces you to put together the pieces for yourself, it does the same thing with it's choice of tone.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Police officers and security guards have guns. That doesn't make them a military force. C'mon, that's a really dumb argument.

The Capital Guard are basically just donut-chewing rent-a-cops who somebody's presently trying to turn into an army, without a tremendous amount of success.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Man I am wondering what the hell is going to go down that leads to probably the Turn A stuff in the span of twelve episodes. Is Bellri going to screw it all up. Is he going to use the Moonlight Butterfly all "What! What is this?" trying to do something mundane like not get hit with a beam saber.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
It's probably also worth distinguishing a Military Force from a :airquote:military force:airquote: here.

Like, you probably shouldn't expect a group of doormen and bellhops to be a crack commando team just because they were already wearing uniforms and you gave them guns yesterday.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The last I heard (although it's kinda iffy) the G-Reco model kit line is actually outperforming the Try line, where only the Build Burning is performing well. There was a spike in Dom sales after the first episode but no matching ones for later episodes AFAIK.
Weird, since I've seen way more people buy the Burning and Cardigan over the Self and Arcane. (mostly because the Arcane wasn't release till a few weeks ago and the self itself is an average kit). And outside of that the only other suit out on the ReconG series is the grimoire. Whereas Try also has the Lightning, Ez-8s, Bearguy F and the Winning (which was released yesterday)

R-Gyagya and megashiki are still in the pipeline for this year while the next ReconG suit isn't scheduled till next year.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Weird, since I've seen way more people buy the Burning and Cardigan over the Self and Arcane. (mostly because the Arcane wasn't release till a few weeks ago and the self itself is an average kit). And outside of that the only other suit out on the ReconG series is the grimoire. Whereas Try also has the Lightning, Ez-8s, Bearguy F and the Winning (which was released yesterday)

R-Gyagya and megashiki are still in the pipeline for this year while the next ReconG suit isn't scheduled till next year.

G-Arcane and Montero and Grimoire selling like crazy.

Also anecdotally I've seen a lot more customs of all those suits than any of the BFT series on japanese twitter.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It honestly feels like bandai expected G-Reco to be unpopular and BFT to fill their merchandise requirements but now that the opposite is coming true they've been scrambling to produce and announce a bunch of the greco kits.

Like the Bullock was one of the earlier designs in the show but only recently got a kit announced.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I didnt even know the montero was out given that I've literally never seen someone post about it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Caros posted:

Clearly the better option is to get out of your cockpit and engage him in a fistfight while leaving your hostage unguarded than to even try. Because that worked out so well.

You know I agree that no one reacting to grunts dying like flies is pretty weird, but here you're just completely misreading the situation. There never was any real negation going on. Bellri only came out of his cockpit once Mask did the same. Engaging him in a fistfight is actually not the worst decision in this situation if he doesn't want to just shoot him in the face. Especially as opposed to engaging in a lengthy and delicate hostage negotiation right in the middle of a shooting war.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I didnt even know the montero was out given that I've literally never seen someone post about it.

Here's a cool custom based on the concept art for Aida's Montero.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Even more anecdotally I'd say a lot of it depends on what circles you run in, I've seen a lot of places where BFT is more popular and some that Greco is the more favored one, I've just seen a ton of custom Grimoire's and Montero's though on twitter, and hardly any BFT ones at all.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Eiba posted:

I wish we could see more of New Ark(?) I guess New Yark lost it's Y in the apocalypse. The overgrown flooded skyscrapers were a really evocative contrast to the shiny artistic new buildings of the Capital Tower. The kind of grungy Zeon aesthetic of Ameria kind of makes sense, given where they come from. Just like the clean, sharp, Federation aesthetic makes sense for the Capital Tower.

I do appreciate how ambiguous the sides have become. It looked like Aida's dad was a good guy from the way he talked with Wilmit, but as soon as he got back he was all, "welp, I guess it's too late. I gotta fulfill my duty now." When you get down to it, Wilmit is in a very similar situation, being quite sympathetic herself, but putting herself on the wrong side by siding with the space pope.

I guess to make up for the lack of clear bad guys, it is nice that they've gathered all the unambiguous good guys on the pirate ship. I suppose they'll be treated like Amerians for a while, but when the poo poo hits the fan they'll be their own faction.

Bellri's a kid with mysterious and peculiar ancestry from a space-based faction who finds himself working for a land-based faction against his former friends, causing several tragic deaths in the process (DELLENSEN WAS THIRTY-FIVE! HE LOVED TO WHIP SCHOOLKIDS!). He pilots a highly modular mobile suit that changes its loadout by switching backpacks. The crew of the ship he's on are highly sympathetic, but the faction they're part of is growing increasingly crazy and dangerous.

Everyone who wanted to find out how Tomino would write Gundam SEED, well, looks like they're getting their wish.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Didn't they mention in the first episode that Capital Tower had 100 more "nuts" that where considered the actual Tower, and that the Under-Nut was too low? That got me stoked for some classism stuff in the future, with life in the Under-Nut starting out real slummy and industrial, and getting better and more opulent as they ascended the Tower. Judging by this episodes preview however, it looks like they're going straight to the super space cathedral at the top.

At any rate, I'm glad they're finally getting into space, as that's where all the interesting things tend to happen. Thanks to SU-Cordism, it seems that to most people on Earth and in the Tower, that beyond the top of the Tower is where literal gods live, and it's their benevolence that allows people to have the photon batteries.

I also want to find out about any colonies that may still exist.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ManSedan posted:

Didn't they mention in the first episode that Capital Tower had 100 more "nuts" that where considered the actual Tower, and that the Under-Nut was too low? That got me stoked for some classism stuff in the future, with life in the Under-Nut starting out real slummy and industrial, and getting better and more opulent as they ascended the Tower. Judging by this episodes preview however, it looks like they're going straight to the super space cathedral at the top.

At any rate, I'm glad they're finally getting into space, as that's where all the interesting things tend to happen. Thanks to SU-Cordism, it seems that to most people on Earth and in the Tower, that beyond the top of the Tower is where literal gods live, and it's their benevolence that allows people to have the photon batteries.

I also want to find out about any colonies that may still exist.

Well, we already know that a space colony near the moon is supplying the photon batteries, and apparently still use Universal Century racial terminology.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It seems like im trying to start a pissing contest between the shows with that post when I really don't mean to, I enjoy both, I'm just relating what I know and that Greco is doing well for itself.

At the end of the day merch sales and ratings don't matter because the show is a show, but it's still nice to see it successful.

Don't even build gundam kits, I just like seeing the processes that modelers go through as they make them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Mask is the best new Black Knight since Jerrid.

I think people are right when they say that G-Reco is Tomino commenting on the remilitarization of the JSDF. The "incompetence issues" are all intentional. The Capitol Tower, a small peaceful "island" in South America isn't ready for war, they're treating it like some kind of game. Mask and the Capitol Army also aren't learning anything from their experiences because they're so hot blooded and gung-ho they've gone figuratively blind. As an aside, I'm really glad Mask is going full-on Black Knight: he's taking every setback personally and he's turned the G-Self into his own personal demon that represents every failure and if he could only defeat it or better yet humiliate it, it'll somehow prove that he's worthy.

Back to the point though: even Ameria, who is theoretically fighting an actual war, clearly isn't that good at it. It seems like they've been limited to engagements at or below a certain scale, so they're clearly not fighting a total war. Until we actually see the fighting between Ameria and Gondwan I'm going to remain quietly certain that it's actually a cold war with both sides "fighting" with skirmishes and proxies (like Capitol Tower). It's likely a step-up in hostilities from the relative peace of the post-post-UC era to be sure, but likely very much nothing like a modern war.

I know I keep comparing the show to Dunbine but it hasn't steered me wrong yet.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 5, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gyra_Solune posted:

Man I am wondering what the hell is going to go down that leads to probably the Turn A stuff in the span of twelve episodes. Is Bellri going to screw it all up. Is he going to use the Moonlight Butterfly all "What! What is this?" trying to do something mundane like not get hit with a beam saber.

It is literally impossible for this to lead to Turn-A directly.

Turn-A explicitly and onscreen features the other Gundam timelines as being part of the Dark History. G-Reco is still at a point where people talk about the Universal Century in recent terms.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Isn't Turn A thousands of years into the far future.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Turn-A explicitly and onscreen features the other Gundam timelines as being part of the Dark History. G-Reco is still at a point where people talk about the Universal Century in recent terms.

By 'the Turn A stuff' he presumably means everything getting eaten by the Moonlight Butterfly. Which is apparently what happened to all those other timelines.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

The Reguild "Century" has lasted over 1,000 years, with the series starting in the year 1014-RC, so it's way past UC's events. They talk about Universal Century the way people today talk about the Dark Ages screwing up scientific progress.

Someone a page or two back said something about what level of tech the moon guys are likely to have, and the answer is simply all of it. They're the ones that set the Taboos and provided the Tower, along with whatever technology they've permitted the world to have, so they're going to have whatever toys are in the Rose of Hermes Blueprints and better.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

By 'the Turn A stuff' he presumably means everything getting eaten by the Moonlight Butterfly. Which is apparently what happened to all those other timelines.

I know, I mean the fact that the "Moonlight Butterfly Eats Everything" doesn't really work as a thing that happens here because we still need the other Gundams to exist. (Or at least Wing, G and X which all show in Turn-A.) It's unlikely to be the ending of G-Reco.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Reguild "Century" has lasted over 1,000 years, with the series starting in the year 1014-RC, so it's way past UC's events. They talk about Universal Century the way people today talk about the Dark Ages screwing up scientific progress.

Someone a page or two back said something about what level of tech the moon guys are likely to have, and the answer is simply all of it. They're the ones that set the Taboos and provided the Tower, along with whatever technology they've permitted the world to have, so they're going to have whatever toys are in the Rose of Hermes Blueprints and better.

In the second episode we see a museum full of UC MS (well, statues of I think?). You're right that it is in the past but not so far in the past that they've lost all traces of it. The Dark History in Turn-A features not just the MS but actual scenes directly from the shows.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

In the second episode we see a museum full of UC MS (well, statues of I think?). You're right that it is in the past but not so far in the past that they've lost all traces of it. The Dark History in Turn-A features not just the MS but actual scenes directly from the shows.

Museums today have artifacts dating back a couple hundred millennia. A thousand years in a post-digital era isn't going to be so easy to rub out.

edit: Plus by all accounts it wasn't a long apocalypse. The Reguild Century has been a long millenia of peace and reconstruction, so there's probably like a few decades at most of chaos between the UC and RC.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 5, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Museums today have artifacts dating back a couple hundred millennia. A thousand years in a post-digital era isn't going to be so easy to rub out.

edit: Plus by all accounts it wasn't a long apocalypse. The Reguild Century has been a long millenia of peace and reconstruction, so there's probably like a few decades at most of chaos between the UC and RC.

Yes, that is my point. Turn-A requires there to be a lot of additional stuff between these timelines and there's no record of it in G-Reco.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I don't know why people want to see the Moonlight Butterfly and a Turn-A tie in so much anyway.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

I don't know why people want to see the Moonlight Butterfly and a Turn-A tie in so much anyway.

People want "Kill'em-All" Tomino back, and what says "kill them all" like wiping out the entire cast and untold billions with a nice big apocalypse?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

People want "Kill'em-All" Tomino back, and what says "kill them all" like wiping out the entire cast and untold billions with a nice big apocalypse?

I don't know why, I love wacky disgruntled anime grandpa who hates what kids are up to these days then he has mobile suit toilets and dancing eyecatches.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I don't really want this show to lead into Turn A but I can't remember if it ever explicitly said at any point in Turn A that all the Black History stuff was literally each of the Gundam timelines happening and not just some amalgamation of all the previous shows.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ethiser posted:

I don't really want this show to lead into Turn A but I can't remember if it ever explicitly said at any point in Turn A that all the Black History stuff was literally each of the Gundam timelines happening and not just some amalgamation of all the previous shows.

Which is of course, the stupidest loving thing. The black history works well as a metaphor, or as some nebulous thing that humanity constantly builds up their technology until it all melts down and they start over, but the idea that G Gundam, Wing, UC gundam, Gundam X etc are all in the same universe is just silly.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
I'm surprised no one commented about Mask's line about Bellri.

"No matter where I go, that grade-skipper keeps getting in my way."

To me it seems like Luin had a lot of resentment for Bellri, who's coasting along life on his genius and having a mother in a high place, unlike Luin who had to struggle against a racial stigma all his life. Back in the second episode that one school bully rear end in a top hat accused Luin of being friends with Bellri only to earn brownie points with the Capital Guard's director, but since then we've seen that pride and ambition are Mask's defining traits. He's a lot like Char, in that aspect, and remember what Char did? He approached Garma Zabi due to his family connection, and befriended him in order to further his own goals. It seems like "Mask's" true personality only surfaces when he hides behind a mask.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

The Dark History sequence, again, features specifically scenes from each show.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Wasn't that sequence pretty much shorthand for:

"This is the way all human conflict ends, and that life goes on regardless?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
The gunpla thread is a bit too technical to ask this, so I'll do it here. Does anyone know if/when models for the Hecate or Jahannam are coming out?

• Locked thread