Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Texibus posted:

You know the saddest part of this whole hobby? How I keep willingly buying game I know absolutely no one will play with me more than once... if I'm lucky. God it's a sickness. Just ordered Suburbia and Patchwork pre-order to round out free shipping at CSI.

I don't think you'll have any issues with Patchwork. I played it a few times at bgg.con, and it's great. It plays quick enough that first-timers needn't commit too heavily, and the tetris-like gameplay is attractive enough to keep them coming back. The theme is weird, but more in an intriguing way than an "I don't think so" way. It's a great filler game for two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I played a few test hands of Sushi Go! last night to learn the rules, and I think my group is really going to like it. I like the way that it's a game of incomplete information, so your first N-(N-1) turns are going to go from completely blind to total information about what's available in the current card pool. Pudding is a pretty interesting mechanic too, since it seems like you always want to start with them since getting them is potentially a 9 point swing. All of the cards seem designed around being potentially good, but also potentially terrible depending on what's in the total card pool. Also, it's quick and easy to explain.

I also have Jungle Speed, and I'm tempted to just open it now and give something lovely as my white elephant gift, but I'm holding off for now.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Is there a should-play list of games for the christmas season? I'm going to Toronto for the holidays, and planning to pick up a bunch of board games for cheaper than I can find them here in Ottawa. I'm thinking Space Alert, Galaxy Trucker, Sushi Go, and maybe Tash-Kalar, given the love it's been getting in this thread (though I'll watch some gameplay videos first. Any other current recommendations people would make, not just for me, but for others?

(obviously with possible caveats, 'if you like this sort of game', etc)

Kemet (for light wargame/area control)

Tragedy Looper (for deduction/ 1 vs all game)

Space Alert (best co-op I've ever played, and some of the most fun I've ever had gaming)

Castles of Mad King Ludwig (I'm not much on point salad, lets build a farm/castle/train Euros, but the auction mechanic and castle building is a great deal of fun)

Tash-Kalar (a great abstract game, though the sylvan deck definitely suffers from very male-gaze ridden art)

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Somberbrero posted:

Pressure Cooker is $17 at MM, anyone want to sell me on it?

Do you like Galaxy Trucker?

Do you play with people who enjoy the physical aspect of Galaxy Trucker but can't seem to wrap their heads around building a good ship?

Do you play with people who are good at multitasking but suck at engineering?

Do you play with people who don't enjoy the schadenfreude but just want to do well at a game?

Then have I got a game for you!

Pressure Cooker is basically Galaxy Trucker without the "drive your ship" phase. Sure, there's a resolution round, but it's a much shorter scoring round. I personally believe Pressure Cooker is much more accessible than Galaxy Trucker for a similar gameplay experience. Galaxy Trucker, however, is the much better game.

That said, Pressure Cooker could have a place in a collection along with Galaxy Trucker if your players want a slightly more laid back experience. My only major issue with the game is that peppers can't go on a hamburger, but mixed vegetables can. Yup.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jedit posted:

No, definitely feel creepy as that post was about one step away from Michael Jackson and two from "Hello little girl, would you like to see some puppies?"

That said, if you really want to adopt you should.

Well I gave him the benefit of the doubt. My kid never played kiddy games, he played what we played.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Jedit posted:

Depends how many people. Anything above six and you're better splitting into smaller groups. My local group was at seven for ages so 7 Wonders was played to death because there's virtually no other good games above six.

Well that's just it: given the size of the group, splitting up is a certainty, so having games for all sorts of numbers is a plus.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Lorini posted:

Well I gave him the benefit of the doubt. My kid never played kiddy games, he played what we played.

"I want to adopt a kid so I have someone to play boardgames with" sounds like something a weird fangirl on Tumblr would say.

Fortunately, it seems like Tex lives in an area where nerd stuff happens occasionally so he'll hopefully eventually network together a nice group. His posts do make me realize how lucky I am that I found a boardgaming group where the majority of them aren't insufferable, though that makes me wonder if that means I'm the insufferable one.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Checking in with a variety of different online meet up groups can be a solid way to meet fellow players of the boarding games. If you're having a really hard time finding people you probably aren't casting your net wide enough.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Gimnbo posted:

"I want to adopt a kid so I have someone to play boardgames with" sounds like something a weird fangirl on Tumblr would say.

Fortunately, it seems like Tex lives in an area where nerd stuff happens occasionally so he'll hopefully eventually network together a nice group. His posts do make me realize how lucky I am that I found a boardgaming group where the majority of them aren't insufferable, though that makes me wonder if that means I'm the insufferable one.

Really? Um, I have to admit, I wanted to have kids (although I only had one) to have someone to play with and Ta-da! My 23 year old son and me and his dad played most of the day yesterday. I'm missing something here but that's nothing new.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I started attending a game night at a FLGS, befriended the troglodytes, got invited to their private gatherings, and then more or less stole a couple of their non-troglodyte friends to form my own little group. After that it was just a matter of not coming back to the FLGS or making any contact with the trogs again, and I now have several people to play games with who have both personal hygiene and social skills.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's a "Boardgame Cafe" near me on campus, that I haven't hit up yet. Strangely they don't list a boardgame night on their events calendar. I'm worried that it's going to go out of business before I have a chance to check it out.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

sector_corrector posted:

There's a "Boardgame Cafe" near me on campus, that I haven't hit up yet. Strangely they don't list a boardgame night on their events calendar. I'm worried that it's going to go out of business before I have a chance to check it out.

I would just go check it out. I held off going to my local FLGS for board games for a long time because they only list board game nights on Thursdays which is a bad time for me. The Saturday after Thanksgiving though they had an "open board and card games" day and I went for the first time. One of the guys I met there revealed to me that even though Saturdays will always have a tournament or some such event scheduled that they are always some people who come down to play boardgames anyway regardless of what's scheduled and it's totally cool. Could be the same for your local place.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I don't think you'll have any issues with Patchwork. I played it a few times at bgg.con, and it's great. It plays quick enough that first-timers needn't commit too heavily, and the tetris-like gameplay is attractive enough to keep them coming back. The theme is weird, but more in an intriguing way than an "I don't think so" way. It's a great filler game for two.

Yeah, i think I can dupe my girlfriend into playing that one a few times. I got exposed to it at Gencon this last year and really enjoyed it! Looks like it's probably on the same boat as my copy of XCom the board game too. Speaking of tablet required games! Any of y'all had any exposure to Alchemists? I saw it got a lot of love at BGG.com

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/161970/alchemists

Lorini posted:

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 5, 2014

Trill Sandwich
Sep 19, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Is there a should-play list of games for the christmas season? I'm going to Toronto for the holidays, and planning to pick up a bunch of board games for cheaper than I can find them here in Ottawa.
Hi fellow Ottawa goon! Do you know about https://www.playtimegamesonline.com They are local and you can meet the owner for pickup at IKEA, generally fairly cheap too.

Trill Sandwich fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 5, 2014

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Played Patchistory yesterday. It was pretty fun. The map generation/patching thing was pretty cool, I like the bidding mechanic (the same one from Twentieth Century) and I liked the resource management. I felt like there was one too many mechanics though - it could have managed without either voting or one of the resources I think, though I'm not sure which. But crucially for a game I knew from the midpoint that I was losing badly... I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to playing again.

I'd recommend it. A quick 4x game in the line of the likes of nations and through the ages. Good fun.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Just a heads up, if you got the Cards Against Humanity 10 days of Kwanza, the first package/envelope kind of looks like spam so be careful (I almost threw my away). My personalized cards are cool though.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Is Tigris & Euphrates as unforgiving as it seems to be? I'm really into how the game feels, but I'm finding that I'm winning way too hard, and that once someone falls behind, they can't really seem to pull back. Of course, with the hidden scoring, I can't really tell how they're doing in relation to my low color, which seems like it would be the main mitigating factor. But it feels like it punishes the loser a little too hard.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Are you playing 1v1? Because it isn't really a 1v1 kind of game.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
A couple of times. I kinda suspected that might be the problem.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

That's probably the reason. Generally I don't even like playing it 3P, 4P is where the game shines.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

That's probably the reason. Generally I don't even like playing it 3P, 4P is where the game shines.

I like 3/4 player T&E... but God is it a brutal game. In most other games, you can kind of see "here's where I could be a turn from now" without too much efffort - in T&E, adding up those possibilities gets absurdly complicated quickly. On a single turn, someone could disaster a tile to split some big kingdom, then join two other kingdoms and essentially turn the board on its head - and to play competently you have to consider those plays, as often the game turns on them. Otherwise, you randomly tacked on a blue here... and now those kingdoms are close enough to bridge in a single turn, and you lose "all this stuff".

And it's very difficult to rule out possibilities, because anyone could be (and very often are) sitting on a hidden pile of one color - and for opponents those big swing available plays are often very clear.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Trill Sandwich posted:

Hi fellow Ottawa goon! Do you know about https://www.playtimegamesonline.com They are local and you can meet the owner for pickup at IKEA, generally fairly cheap too.

I do! Good prices, but their stock is sometimes lacking (for example, no Space Alert, or CCG stuff). I've bought probably half a dozen things from them thus far, and always try to whenever I can. I'm just going to TO to visit family and friends so thought, eh gently caress it, lets get some poo poo while I'm there.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Somberbrero posted:

Pressure Cooker is $17 at MM, anyone want to sell me on it?

I wrote some words about it a bunch of pages back that I'm not even going to try to find while phoneposting (would've been shortly after GenCon if that helps). Basically, my wife and I both really liked it then and still play it off and on several months later. It's a fairly light but frantic mashup of Galaxy Trucker and the Cook, Serve, Delicious video game. Personally, I think it's absolutely worth $17.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I gotchya:

Lawen posted:

Played a couple 2p games of Pressure Cooker last night. Since it has a grand total of 2 ratings on BGG right now, I'm guessing that not too many people have played it or heard of it, so here's my attempt at a proper overview and review. Wall of text incoming...

One-line review: A real time tile-flipping game for 2-4 players in 30-60 minutes influenced by and reminiscent of Galaxy Trucker but with food instead of spaceships.

Overview: Pressure Cooker is a real-time tile flipping and laying game where you're trying to fill a bunch of restaurant orders the best/fastest. The game plays in 3 rounds of 2 phases each. Like Galaxy Trucker, the first phase is drawing face down tiles from a large shared pool of ingredient tiles, bringing them back to your play area, flipping them, and either laying them on one of your cook spaces or returning them face up to the tile pool. You're trying to place stacks of ingredients on your cook spaces to complete a set of shared recipes. When one player has completed the minimum number of recipes for that round (3, 4, 5 respectively for the 3 rounds in the game) they shout "Pressure Cooker!" and flip the one-minute timer; all other players have until the timer runs out to try to complete their orders.

Recipe cards are shared and in the central area. You may have "Cheeseburger" as one of the recipes, which would require Bread, Beef, and Cheese tiles, optionally allow or require other ingredients from the Cheeseburger section of your "Cookbook" card (each player has a cookbook card in front of them) such as Lettuce, Tomato, or Onions, and specifically disallows other ingredients (e.g. Chicken, Ham). You lay your ingredient tiles in your tableau in the space corresponding to the recipe you're working on. When you finish your recipe, you put a token on top of that stack of ingredients indicating that you can't add any more ingredients to that stack and a corresponding token on the first available scoring space on the recipe card (so the first to finish that recipe may get 8pts, 2nd gets 5, 3rd gets 3, and the 4th player gets locked out of scoring that recipe).

Each ingredient tile also has a quality value on it, either -1 (spoiled food) or 1-4. After the timer runs out, the second/Scoring phase begins. First, each player goes through the recipes one by one and confirms that they have the correct tiles in their stack to complete the recipe. If so, they score the points indicated by their token on the recipe card. If not, they take a penalty based on how they failed (used a disallowed ingredient? Used a duplicate of an allowed ingredient? Forgot a required ingredient?). Each recipe also has a Quality Bonus and a minimum quality needed to qualify for that bonus -- so the Cheesebuger may give a 2 point bonus to the player with the highest quality score for their cheeseburger, as long as their quality is at least 12.

Additionally, the recipes are laid out at the beginning of each round and placed on colored (red, yellow, green, blue) cards with either 2 or 3 recipes per card (so each round there are between 8 and 12 recipes to work on). When you score a recipe, you only score for the color of card that recipe is on. At the end of the game, you use your lowest score color as your final score (so you really need to focus on all 4 colors instead of running up your score in a single color).

There are also some other ways to affect your recipe score by playing bonus Appetizer, Drink, and Dessert tiles, being the player to finish the round first or with the most completed recipes, etc. this section is already way too long though.

Components and Design:
The art design is highly reminiscent of the PC/iOS game Cook, Serve, Delicious! Components are heavy-duty cardboard. My only complaint is that the dials to track your score are really loose and can get knocked around really easily in the heat of play (I have an idea about using the little rubber bands that orthodontists use on braces to tighten up the spinners but haven't tested it yet).

Thoughts/Impressions:
I really liked it! As did my wife! If you want something kinda similar to Galaxy Trucker but without the space theme and without the agony (or ecstasy) of watching your beautiful creation get destroyed, this may be the game for you. Since those are the two aspects of GT seemingly most likely to turn off a new player, IMO removing them makes PC a more approachable game for casual gamers.

That said, PC is much more of a points salad (pun!) game since you're tracking individual ingredient quality values, bonus tiles, bonus quality VPs, and have 4 scoring dials to keep track of. The rules mitigate this a bit by specifically allowing you to look through your played ingredient stacks at any time but I'm really curious to try a house rule that forbids looking at them so that you have to remember and keep track of a lot more information -- it would definitely be pro-mode though.

Personally, I still prefer Galaxy Trucker but only by a slim margin. More importantly, I think I'll get Pressure Cooker to the table more often in mixed, non-hardcore groups as the theme is just generally more appealing.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Packing for game day tomorrow. So far I've been able to cram Kemet, Lagoon, TEK, Coup, Fairy Tale, and The Lord of the Rings Adventure Game all into my backpack. No room for any more big boxes, so that's probably it...

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Star Wars Galactic Assault is said to be in stores next week!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Well that solves that Christmas present problem.

Got to play some Beatray at House on the Hill today. I liked it, I wouldn't play it all the time, but it was enjoyable enough for the time involved. Wayyyyyyy too much dice rolling though, and I can certainly see how it can lead to cascading failure points for some players. We had the Firey Abyss (Or whatever #22 is called) haunt, and it sucked to fail an escape roll and just be dead.

Later we played some Tales of the Arabian Nights and similar problem, kinda. Some of the status cards are so brutal, and two of us just failed to get any points at all in the second game while one guy just romped away with it. It's still entertaining because watching all the terrible/amazing stuff happen to your character is the charm of it, knowing full well you made all the terrible decisions that lead you there.

Also played some Pandemic and watched as we went from 1 outbreak to losing the game because of a string of outbreaks. Fun.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

the panacea posted:

Star Wars Galactic Assault is said to be in stores next week!

Imperial Assault? Source?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Only in stores, possibly. Apparently Hasbro wasn't happy with FFG nudging in on their Star Wars board game license (FFG has the license to miniature games and RPGs), and so now Imperial Assault's wholesale price has went up considerably and, from what I've been told, will only be sold strictly to distributors and might not end up being available for sale on online stores. We'll see if online discounters are able to get ahold of it/willing to sell it for an even smaller margin. We just got confirmation of the wholesale change and Hasbro issue yesterday.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Cassa posted:

Later we played some Tales of the Arabian Nights and similar problem, kinda. Some of the status cards are so brutal, and two of us just failed to get any points at all in the second game while one guy just romped away with it. It's still entertaining because watching all the terrible/amazing stuff happen to your character is the charm of it, knowing full well you made all the terrible decisions that lead you there.

I'm not sure whether this is my least favourite or most favourite thing about this game: often your choices don't match up with what you thought they would do at all. Avoid the house fire? You meant "rush to your lover while people burn". Steal from the con game? You're giving the money back to the marks.

We discovered that you can use the magic lamp to wish for 4/3 wishes.

The next time I play I want to plan for Crippled and Scorned statuses, aiming for maybe 4-5 Destiny only. Having Lost, Grief-stricken, Ensorcelled, Scorned, Crippled, Fated, and one other all at once was certainly something.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Tales works much better if you reduce the total point count and house rule the more terrible statuses (grief stricken, specifically).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ETB posted:

Tales works much better if you reduce the total point count and house rule the more terrible statuses (grief stricken, specifically).
And also remove the rule that sex-changed means you can't win, because there are infuriatingly few ways to remove it.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Not being able to win while sex-changed is pretty daft, and we usually play to a total of 10.

Some of the statuses are super annoying, like Wounded... Missing a turn is such an awful mechanic.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Corbeau posted:

Packing for game day tomorrow. So far I've been able to cram Kemet, Lagoon, TEK, Coup, Fairy Tale, and The Lord of the Rings Adventure Game all into my backpack. No room for any more big boxes, so that's probably it...

False. Combine small stuff inside Kemet's box. :getin:

Testro
May 2, 2009
Had a fun games night with one of my mates.

I introduced him to Escape, which led to a frantic half an hour or so. Only one set of my mates have graduated to playing with curses and treasure, which surprised me as I thought the game would play itself out quite quickly with just the base game...but I guess it really does depend who you're playing with.

We had a filler game of Skip Bo, which is barely worth mentioning but always rates well with people who rarely play games. Works particularly well in a big group, but it was a fun enough way to spend a bit of downtime between games with just the two of us.

Then we unleashed Betrayal, which I bought the other day. We were playtesting the rules so we can explain it to our other mates, so we played with two characters each and then when one became the traitor, the other player controlled the other remaining hero (so 3 vs 1). We had haunt 41 and we both really enjoyed it, even though it was clear we had barely scratched the surface of the game. We triggered the haunt with just two omens revealed. There seems to be a lot of scope with it...definitely excited to get it on the table again, but I always think we struggle to get 3 people together regularly, so that makes me shy away from 3 player games.

It's why I'm still coveting and haven't yet pulled the trigger on Mystery of the Abbey. I'm just not convinced that it'll be played enough without a regular group of players.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

djfooboo posted:

False. Combine small stuff inside Kemet's box. :getin:

That would require taking out the pretty box insert. Kemet has more bits than you'd think.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Jedit posted:

That would require taking out the pretty box insert. Kemet has more bits than you'd think.

2/3 of my kemet box is empty because I inverted the insert so that the board didn't get bendy. The middle channel is very full, but everything fits.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So I got to play Caylus for the first time today, and wound up winning.

I appreciate its place in gaming history now, but I don't think I can replicate that amazing beginner's luck. Somebody put the stonemason out as like the second building, and I managed to get the stone farm, park, and workshop out over the next five turns, ending up building like half the buildings in a 5-player game. Nobody put the wood quarry or sawmill out.

So every turn each of those buildings was either 1 point and 1 free resource with a fairly broad selection, or paying 1 coin for 3 resources. I largely ignored the castle up until the final towers round, focusing instead on getting more buildings out.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Played Tragedy Looper tonight. I'd been waiting to play it for awhile, since we never have four - usually just three. It went okay at first. I was the Mastermind and I honestly hosed up a lot more than the Protagonists. They won the first practice scenario and we found on Loop 3 that the second practice scenario is basically unwinnable for the Protagonists (The Mastermind can just place +Intrigue Cards on both the School and the Hospital. At least one will go through and then they can use the once-per-loop ability from the Subplot to insta-win since nothing can remove intrigue from the hospital).

Everyone wanted to play again but one of our regular players didn't think they were very good at the game and thus didn't want to play anymore (and it really seems like the game wasn't built for less than four players). I'm growing kinda tired of wasting money on games that will never be played again just because one person doesn't like playing them because they're not very good at them (see: 7 Wonders, Race for the Galaxy, probabl Space Alert if I can ever convince anyone to play it). Such fun games that just waste shelf space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Little Mac posted:

Played Tragedy Looper tonight. I'd been waiting to play it for awhile, since we never have four - usually just three. It went okay at first. I was the Mastermind and I honestly hosed up a lot more than the Protagonists. They won the first practice scenario and we found on Loop 3 that the second practice scenario is basically unwinnable for the Protagonists (The Mastermind can just place +Intrigue Cards on both the School and the Hospital. At least one will go through and then they can use the once-per-loop ability from the Subplot to insta-win since nothing can remove intrigue from the hospital).

You're missing a vital piece of the puzzle here:

Intrigue on the hospital is meaningless if the Hospital Incident never fires. The Boy Student (the Hospital Incident culprit) needs enough paranoia to trigger it. And the protagonists have at least three ways to suppress his paranoia between -1 Paranoia cards, the Doctor, and the Girl Student.

• Locked thread