Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Ramadu posted:

It's kinda horrifying to me to hear espn talk about rich rod as the top candidate for Florida. Back up the loving dump truck of money Byrne. It's nice having a football program I don't have to be ashamed of.

Rich has a dumptruck on the way, it just tips in 2017 2020. He, Byrne and Miller are part of an investment deal that some boosters put together that vested 5 8 years in the future. I think it was worth ~$17M at the time.

Qwijib0 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

Rich has a dumptruck on the way, it just tips in 2017. He, Byrne and Miller are part of an investment deal that some boosters put together that vested 5 years in the future. I think it was worth ~$17M at the time.

I completely forgot about that. That was one of the stranger things I've seen worked into a contract in a long time.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Qwijib0 posted:

Rich has a dumptruck on the way, it just tips in 2017 2020. He, Byrne and Miller are part of an investment deal that some boosters put together that vested 5 8 years in the future. I think it was worth ~$17M at the time.

I'm totally fine with this because Sean Miller owns a whole freaking lot and RichRod is also looking like he owns a lot. Being able to have a football team as good as the basketball team would be amazing.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

AsInHowe posted:

My sources tell me the same thing.

Also, everyone still says Harbaugh.

About those sources...

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Good sources everyone, excellent sources, truly you have tapped into the inner sanctum of Michigan athletics

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Finally, some good news for Michigan Fans.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I guess this is some meaningful news:

Lloyd Carr would like Jim Harbaugh to coach Michigan

quote:

Lloyd Carr is not heavily involved in the search for Brady Hoke's replacement.

But if he was…

"If it were my choice -- which it is not -- I like (Jim) Harbaugh," he said tonight.

Carr's endorsement of the San Francisco 49ers coach is major support.

I'm pretty sure Carr has little to do with the search, but he could make the new coach's life hell if he wants to, as we've seen.

There's been some bad blood between Carr and Harbaugh in the past. In 2002, Carr hired Scott Loefler over Harbaugh as a QB coach, and Harbaugh said some nasty things about Michigan as a result. Any remaining hostility between the two would certainly mitigate against his coming.

This still doesn't mean Harbaugh is actually coming, but it does mean one potential obstacle to that has been knocked down, apparently.

I remain prepared for being underwhelmed at the final choice regardless, so que sera sera.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lloyd Carr hasn't been a part of Michigan football for over 7 years now. If he influences the decision at all then holy poo poo Michigan has learned absolutely nothing in that time frame.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Lloyd Carr's primary lapdog Mike DeBord is running football operations until the new coach is hired, so to think that LC has no say/influence is delusional.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FB Ops is basically an internal do-all position that handles things like the daily schedule, travel arrangements, etc. It should have zero effect on deciding a new head coach.

I don't doubt that Lloyd is going to still be in the public eye as this goes on, but Lloyd having influence over these proceedings is exactly the kind of poo poo that got them into this gigantic mess in the first place.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DJExile posted:

FB Ops is basically an internal do-all position that handles things like the daily schedule, travel arrangements, etc. It should have zero effect on deciding a new head coach.

I don't doubt that Lloyd is going to still be in the public eye as this goes on, but Lloyd having influence over these proceedings is exactly the kind of poo poo that got them into this gigantic mess in the first place.

Lloyd not having a say in previous searches was actually a big part of the problem. He apparently offered to retire at the end of the 2006 season on the condition that DeBord was named as his successor. Bill Martin said no dice, and Lloyd sat and pouted through the disastrous 2007 season in response.

Then Bill Martin forced him out and still refused to name DeBord, so Carr went out of his way to sabotage Rodriguez in retaliation.

So DeBord as head of FB Ops may actually be a sop to Carr to keep him loving things up again. Fortunately, Hackett made it clear DeBord is not a candidate for the HC position so it seems mostly harmless.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

DJExile posted:

Lloyd Carr hasn't been a part of Michigan football for over 7 years now.

Ahahahahahahahaha, you couldn't be more wrong.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Lloyd Carr would like a porterhouse steak for 5 bucks

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Regnevelc posted:

Ahahahahahahahaha, you couldn't be more wrong.

OK yeah I phrased that poorly. I mean in an official capacity.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Lloyd still maintains an office in Schembechler Hall, does he not?

I mean, they've left Bo's office untouched since the day he died in there.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Neodoomium posted:

You're....you're joking right?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

LeeMajors posted:

Nope. His office, save for a few personal effects his wife came and retrieved, is still there. I assume someone dusts it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jesus :stare:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

LeeMajors posted:

Did you really need confirmation that Michigan is stuck in the past?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I want to be like :stare: but really I'm :laugh:.

That's so loving warped.

Do you guys charge for tours?

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Neodoomium posted:

They should have done it up like Lenin's Tomb.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

The Hall contains the Football Dorms, is connected to the practice field, and also contains the Athletics Museum.

So I reckon so.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I found a picture of the door. I hear when they opened it they found 100 mummified GAs in there.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

LeeMajors posted:

I found a picture of the door. I hear when they opened it they found 100 mummified GAs in there.

BUT HARBAUGH ESCAPED. IS IT A SIGN?!

buy a subscription to rivals to find out (click here)

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Bo only won 5 bowl games, right?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

And no titles.

BUT HE DID IT THE RIGHT WAY WITH GRIT DETERMINATION AND A LIMITED NUMBER OF BLACK GUYS

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Yes, but the majority of his career only 1 team went to a Bowl from the Big Ten.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He repeatedly reached the highest peak any Big Ten team dares to dream of: getting embarassed in the Rose Bowl.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Regnevelc posted:

Yes, but the majority of his career only 1 team went to a Bowl from the Big Ten.

Yeah, the limited number of bowls meant you had to be really good to even get invited to one. Losing one wasn't a negative because just getting there was impressive.

Also, his three best teams 72-74 had combined records of 30-2-1 and went nowhere because of the Big 10's policy of Rose Bowl or nothing.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

MourningView posted:

He repeatedly reached the highest peak any Big Ten team dares to dream of: getting embarassed in the Rose Bowl.

Michigan: Most Wins Ever, Also Good At Losing to Southern Cal

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

This was not true for "the majority" of his career and even if it were he still almost always lost the ones he did make. His career bowl record is 5-12.

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, the limited number of bowls meant you had to be really good to even get invited to one. Losing one wasn't a negative because just getting there was impressive.

Also, his three best teams 72-74 had combined records of 30-2-1 and went nowhere because of the Big 10's policy of Rose Bowl or nothing.

I would think the 71 team that went undefeated in the conference was better and it ended the season by losing to a middling Stanford team. And his best team by ranking was 76, which lost to an admittedly really good USC team. E: apparently I forgot they finished 2nd in 85, but they lost the Big Ten to Iowa (who of course went on to lose to Rose Bowl, although some of that was their running back blatantly throwing the game) so suck it.

It's just easier to pretend that those ones were better because you didn't get to watch him lose to Arizona State or something.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 5, 2014

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Neodoomium posted:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Deteriorata posted:

went nowhere because of the Big 10's policy of Rose Bowl or nothing.

This is the most blatant combo of :corsair: and :smug:.

The Big Ten is laughably stale and stodgy, and apparently has been for its entire history.

How folks grew up in the 70s and didn't worship SWC or Pac10 football, I have no idea.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There weren't really a ton of bowl games back then and the Big Ten opened it up a lot sooner than those two are trying to pretend to protect the reputation of St. Bo.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Nah, I was misinformed. My bad.

E: I could really give two shits about Bo. I just want them to field a winning team today.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

This is the most blatant combo of :corsair: and :smug:.

The Big Ten is laughably stale and stodgy, and apparently has been for its entire history.

How folks grew up in the 70s and didn't worship SWC or Pac10 football, I have no idea.

The Big 10 changed its policy in 1975 precisely because of Michigan getting shafted.

Michigan then went to the Orange Bowl for the first time in history and got pasted by Oklahoma.

I'm not sure what your point is. History is what it is.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I like Bo. They can do whatever they want with his office as long as they bring in a non-lummox head coach and beat Ohio State

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Dabo is 3-3 in bowl games. Another year and he just may tie it up :)

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Leaving his office as a mausoleum is some serious "A Rose For Emily" creepy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
When Hayden Fry dies I hope we leave a pair of aviators and some baller white pants hanging in a locker somewhere.

• Locked thread