Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Chill la Chill posted:

Um, Melf and Bigsby and other silly but highly practical names are the cornerstone of magical realms. Melf is literally magic elf, you can't get more bob than that.

Well, you could, but then his name would just be 'Elf the magic Elf'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

They've been pushing the "victory of Chaos is inevitable" for a longass time, if the end times are actually "yup Chaos wins on schedule" they're going to be boring af. Grimdark settings only work if they're not actually hopeless, a fact that GW and Wyrd seem to be forgetting.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm surprised at reading all this enthusiasm in this thread. Reads like the normal 40k thread now, but thankfully without rationalizations of paying for your static, less detailed $100 Gundam.

S.J. posted:

Well, you could, but then his name would just be 'Elf the magic Elf'
That would actually be cool and good. Just like how land raider was because of some guy named Land.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So, what are the odds that this End Time stuff will actually have any long-term impact and they'll use it as an excuse to drastically overhaul their games and write decent rules for them?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

FrostyPox posted:

So, what are the odds that this End Time stuff will actually have any long-term impact and they'll use it as an excuse to drastically overhaul their games and write decent rules for them?

None. It's about selling lots of $40 single plastic kits for new or returning named characters.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

None. It's about selling lots of $40 single plastic kits for new or returning named characters.

Yeah, that's about what I figured. It sure would be nice, though!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It's also about consolidating armies and removing legacy stuff in time for the next edition for a system they don't really seem to care much about anymore.

rkajdi posted:

Only ones that have gotten bumped to insane levels are KFA and Eterenity Malekith. Hell, the new "better" everqueen is a reduction in power.

The only real surprise to me is that Maelkith survived considering how old his model is. And I guess the same thing with Karl Franz. For lower tier, the general rule appears to be an older figure means you could easily end up dead, while a recently done or redone kit means you survive.

Not sure what that means for 40K, but for fantasy I have a couple of big guys I expect to be dead by the finish line. Thanqoul is a goner, as is Throt and Skrolk. For dwarves, it's going to be Thorgrim, Ungrim, and Bugman. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Alith Anar or those loving WE twins die by the time everything is done either. All that being said, I'm super happy to see a bunch of special characters bite the dust, because I'm hoping for special characters to be less special and thus a bunch of the idiots out there stop using them every game.

Gav Thorpe's obvious bias towards his favorite army probably saved Malekith more than anything else, unless he was just handed a pile of notes on which models to remove and which not to before writing the end times stuff. The entire thing seems to have turned into a mess, especially with the Dark Elf infinite magic phase. Did they retcon out his curse or is that something that might still happen?

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 5, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

FrostyPox posted:

It's like dividing by zero. There won't be a serious rules overhaul unless/until the company gets bought.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I think most if not all the people that follow this thread understand that at this point, advancing the 40k storyline does not address the fundamental problems with GW's business model, but it gets kind of repetitive arguing over exactly how badly they're being run. Sure this is the equivalent of rearranging the deck-chairs on the Titanic, but holy poo poo did someone need to rearrange them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Right now the only glimmer of hope I have for 40k is that they let Fantasy Flight make all the rules from now on.

E: Nothing about the end-times scenario would actually matter in 40k because even if all the Necrons die, games with Necrons just happen before those events. Plus "warp anomaly" is their scifi answer to "a wizard did it."

moths fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 5, 2014

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm kinda curious how the Fantasy End Times stuff is going to affect Fantasy Roleplay. Honestly they've grimdarked the gently caress out of the setting removing a good deal of it, killed off a ton of characters and human ethnicities... Is Fantasy Flight just going to ignore that or are they going to have to try and incorporate it into their game?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Is this a commentary on our perpetual beta release cycle or are you serious? Because the full campaign was released a couple weeks ago. My impression is that it's now just a matter of DLC expansion, not hammering out the basics.

It's got problems, but it's miles ahead of every GW game release with the exception of their Blood Bowl game, which, if I remember correctly started as a rogue imitator project that later, as part of an out of court settlement became a GW official thing.

It's an early access game that got released once they hit a certain milestone, rather than because it was complete (imo). It should continue to receive updates but realistically it's still in beta.

Yes, I know it's being sold as a complete product. No, I don't think it's the right way to do things. Early access is a bloody disaster though, and I'm hopeful they'll give it the polish it needs. Besides, they'll want to monetise it with DLC so it'll need some attention regardless.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I actually suspect they've finally noticed how Flames of War breaks WW2 into Early, Middle, and Late war games.

Having certain units exist only before or after Nagash's return would be a similar thing. They could do stuff like changing Empire soldiers' helmets post-Nagash so if you want to run other new stuff from that period you've got to redo all your infantry.

This is already happening to a degree with FW's 30k stuff, they may just be leveraging it harder.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Radish posted:

I'm kinda curious how the Fantasy End Times stuff is going to affect Fantasy Roleplay. Honestly they've grimdarked the gently caress out of the setting removing a good deal of it, killed off a ton of characters and human ethnicities... Is Fantasy Flight just going to ignore that or are they going to have to try and incorporate it into their game?

I think FFG has basically stopped publishing WHFRP, haven't they?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Night10194 posted:

I think FFG has basically stopped publishing WHFRP, haven't they?

Have they? I thought they were still putting out cards and stuff. I didn't really like the new system they made after ditching the D100 one and moving to the cards and dice so I stopped really paying attention.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The game line is Officially Complete, and they won't be making any new products for WHFRPG 3rd edition. Who knows as to whether or not they'll come out with a new edition in the future, I doubt they will anytime soon, but at least the game system lives on in the new Star Wars games.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Does anyone recall the story regarding GW not wanting to make the Smaug mini (mini haha) - or was that fan speculation?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'll just leave this here.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Radish posted:

It's also about consolidating armies and removing legacy stuff in time for the next edition for a system they don't really seem to care much about anymore.

Gav Thorpe's obvious bias towards his favorite army probably saved Malekith more than anything else, unless he was just handed a pile of notes on which models to remove and which not to before writing the end times stuff. The entire thing seems to have turned into a mess, especially with the Dark Elf infinite magic phase. Did they retcon out his curse or is that something that might still happen?

It seems a little too convient to me that all the characters who've died so far have been the older ones without updated figures.

For the infinite phase, are you talking about the power of darkness trick? People were going on about it on TWF, but to do what was asked required a Life caster too, and then you still aren't accomplishing much-- life is going to have a hard time doing much without being able to multi-cast dwellers. You can get some regrowth going, but the vortex is a mess to use since you only get 1-2 shots at casting it a game since you can't dispel it.

Still only halfway through Khaine, but it's good so far to me. I'm looking at this as Crisis on Infinite Warhammers, so I expect some dustups and such. I wanted to do something different, so I'm planning on doing one of the lesser elf host lists (Aestyrion) to make it a bit more challenging. Plus, I can model up a diorama of Tyrion coming down a set of stairs in a bathrobe with a pipe and Malekith at the bottom sporting his best "What did you do to mommy?" expression :pervert:.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

rkajdi posted:

It seems a little too convient to me that all the characters who've died so far have been the older ones without updated figures.

Throgg got a model somewhat recently and he bit the dust; so did the Glottkin, and they're brand spanking new.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The way it was explained to me by my friend who is part of a crew that loves to ruin Games Workshop games by exploiting their poorly written rules was that Malekith was able to recast spells (maybe everyone can? it's really been a while for me) and that there was no limit to how many dice you could have in a single magic phase from the new Khaine book. So you just cast power of darkness on two dice and there's only a 1/36 chance of failure and you are either going to come out even or get more dice. So you just cast that until you have enough to use as many spells as you could possibly want and as long as you have more power dice than the opponent has dispel to start with you are good.

I may be missing something in my description since he's usually right about this sort of thing.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 5, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I don't want to ruin your day but

http://graham-mcneill.com/#!/end-times-not-coming/

The original blog post got what he said massively out of context. Things he would LIKE to do, not what ARE happening.

In other news, Smaug is a really nice model.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
And they've all sold out in 20 minutes.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

That's... One of the lowest-effort shops I've seen in a while. If it's an official pic, someone really phoned it in, and ditto if it's a 'real legit' pic.

Poe's Lawhammer.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

HiveCommander posted:

I always joked with my local group that 7th ed would probably end up with Guilliman making a magical recovery and taking the throne of the Emperor, but now that it might actually happen... :smith:

Seriously, Rowboat Girlyman is bland as gently caress and the only interesting thing about Ultramarines was their 'space Roman' thing which has almost entirely been removed from them, just leaving them as the most generic and bland chapter. The Microsoft Sam of the Adeptus Astartes, if you will. If the primarch of the most boring chapter ends up usurping the Emperor's throne... :argh:

I will settle for GW killing off all the smurfs and blood magpies.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Can't wait to see Abaddon choke on a pie.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You really should read Graham Mcneils blog from today.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, obviously it was never going to move.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Night10194 posted:

Well, obviously it was never going to move.

And just like that, "setting not plot" group becomes even more insufferable (luckily, haven't see any of those on SA so far) than before.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Magpies don't even have rules!

Also, asking for GW to kill Ultras or refocus on space commies is just... well... wow.

serious gaylord posted:

You really should read Graham Mcneils blog from today.

The way his post reads suggests that some people thought that 40K as a game is ending, which is hilarious.

And as someone mentioned say Necrons getting wiped, but still playable: you'd think there'd be many players who'd play the faction that has officially "lost" 40K? Would they trust GW not to drop miniature support ASAP?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

JcDent posted:

Also, asking for GW to kill Ultras or refocus on space commies is just... well... wow.

I mean I know they're not going to do anything of the sort but that's my vote. I'm glad we're starting to get games that involve other chapters at least.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'd be fine with that, actually. Both chapters play around with Chaos artifacts so it'd be nice for the Inquisition to finally do something about it.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Don't be ridiculous. The Ultramarines are the chapter for people who want to sign up to play with their friends but aren't keen on reading a 30-page genocide wank-rag to do so. They're the heroes, and a lot of GW's core market (13-year-olds) want to play as the heroes.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Loxbourne posted:

Don't be ridiculous. The Ultramarines are the chapter for people who want to sign up to play with their friends but aren't keen on reading a 30-page genocide wank-rag to do so. They're the heroes, and a lot of GW's core market (13-year-olds) want to play as the heroes.

They are also quite easy to paint, you can base them on almost anything and it looks good, and so a lot of people start off with them for those reasons. It doesn't hurt that for several years they were the "default" space marine army and if you wanted to use another chapter's rules you were forced to bring a special character. Also they are really loving easy to paint and make look good.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

drgnvale posted:

They are also quite easy to paint, you can base them on almost anything and it looks good, and so a lot of people start off with them for those reasons. It doesn't hurt that for several years they were the "default" space marine army and if you wanted to use another chapter's rules you were forced to bring a special character. Also they are really loving easy to paint and make look good.

And on top of that, space marines used to be the force where you bought fewer models and painted fewer models and still had an army that was just as good, which is a consideration for a beginner or anyone on a budget and is a huge factor. Grey Knights kind of usurped that from Space Marines more recently.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I feel sort of bad for the Ultramarines inasmuch as anyone can feel bad for fictional sci-fi supersoldiers since pre Matt Ward their biggest crime was being relentlessly average and now everybody hates them thanks to "spiritual liege."

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I feel sort of bad for the Ultramarines inasmuch as anyone can feel bad for fictional sci-fi supersoldiers since pre Matt Ward their biggest crime was being relentlessly average and now everybody hates them thanks to "spiritual liege."

Yeah they were mostly harmless DEFAULT MARINES which was fine. Its only when you look at the fluff that you need to laugh at how dumb they are mostly because they are going of and winning everything without risk.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Someday, I really want to see a Marine who is introduced as EITHER a very good commander OR a very good fighter. Getting told every single Marine ever is the best commander in the Imperium and also the best fightman is part of why they're so insanely boring as a whole.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Rulebook Heavily posted:

And on top of that, space marines used to be the force where you bought fewer models and painted fewer models and still had an army that was just as good, which is a consideration for a beginner or anyone on a budget and is a huge factor. Grey Knights kind of usurped that from Space Marines more recently.

Grey Knights also seem easier to paint... almost as easy as necrons if you don't go nuts with ornamentation (you should always go nuts with ornamentation).

I still like painting my ultramarines and I ignore almost all of the codex fluff so the only thing that bothers me about them is when I'm playing and some warmahordes rear end in a top hat comes up to the table to mock me for playing "Smurfs." Go gently caress off back to your own little insufferable circle-jerk community thanks in advance.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Night10194 posted:

Someday, I really want to see a Marine who is introduced as EITHER a very good commander OR a very good fighter. Getting told every single Marine ever is the best commander in the Imperium and also the best fightman is part of why they're so insanely boring as a whole.

Considering authority leads to asskicking nature of Space Marine leadership, that's kind of hard to pull off. Would be really hard to advance to authority position without surviving and making a mark for yourself. Especially when there's no Officer Training Academy, it's really kind of hard to skip in line.

PLUS, in the end, it's 40K. If you're not leading from the front, then you're a planetary governor that meets a grisly death in failing to defend the planet in prologue, or you're the planetary governor of a rebelous planet that heroes have to kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

OCS for space marines? I'd imagine it's all about purchase of commisions, which would explain their lack of tactical genius and british origins.

• Locked thread