Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Devian666 posted:

Things that are great about America.

Underwater boats http://livingstingy.blogspot.co.nz/2010/10/my-neighbors-upside-down-boat.html

Lawn mowers which look like tractors http://livingstingy.blogspot.co.nz/2010/10/do-you-need-toy-tractor.html

Gas grills worth $3000 http://livingstingy.blogspot.co.nz/2010/05/grand-turbo-2500-gas-grill.html

Keeping up with the neighbours has never been so grand.

Resisting arrest: Bad with money http://livingstingy.blogspot.co.nz/2014/12/why-i-dont-resist-police.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

canyoneer posted:

https://www.birchbox.com/guide/article/how-much-do-you-tip-during-the-holiday-season
You should tip EVERYONE!

I went to college with a girl who shared that on facebook. She also pointed out that you should be sure to tip your doctor, because they have the most important job: saving your life.

Her father is a big time surgeon with the biggest practice of its kind in a top 10 US city. Guy is clearing 7 or 8 figures annually, easy. He can probably buy his own wine.

Routinely accepting casual "thanks for a year of doing your job" gifts from rich people feels really unethical. But then again, I have no idea what the norm is in the US when it comes to tipping doctors.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Having an AMEX as your only credit card is bad with money, this poo poo isn't accepted anywhere.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Switchback posted:

Having an AMEX as your only credit card is bad with money, this poo poo isn't accepted anywhere.

Except Costco, where it's the only card they accept :pwn: I have to remember to take out cash whenever I go, gently caress getting an AMEX card.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Except Costco, where it's the only card they accept :pwn: I have to remember to take out cash whenever I go, gently caress getting an AMEX card.

We literally have a no-fee amex for the sole purpose of CostCo. Since then, Amex has started doing crazy cashback deals so that's nice too (small business saturday, $5 back for $5 at mcdonalds, poo poo like that), but yeah. CostCo.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I've made >$300 this year on my AmEx in signup and other offers. And they have one of the better warranty extensions.

fenixwb
Jul 14, 2007

MrOnBicycle posted:

Routinely accepting casual "thanks for a year of doing your job" gifts from rich people feels really unethical. But then again, I have no idea what the norm is in the US when it comes to tipping doctors.

It's not the norm. It's considered high unethical and against the code of conduct for us to accept cash gifts from patients.

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

Pompous Rhombus posted:

You can get a free AMEX through Costco as part of your membership. It's the only card they take, and I'd rather get 1% back than nothing. Unless your bank offers a better deal when you use your debit card, I don't see why you wouldn't get one even if you use it for only the one store.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

melon cat posted:

So I guess I'm not the only one who has noticed this bizarre "Tip everyone during Christmas" trend. Just today I was in a high-rise condo visiting a friend. There was a notice, adorned in Christmas-themed stationary, in the lobby stating (paraphrasing):

"Dear residents: We are setting up a holiday gratuity fund for our building maintenance staff, in recognition of their hard work. All donations to this fund can be sent to the central mailbox, and each will be sent with a greeting card in your name to all of our staff. Thank you, and have a wonderful holiday!"

So, on top of the $500/mo. the residents pay in condo fees, they're also being asked to pay the condo corporation's employees. It's absurd.

I think this trend is because people nowadays aren't saving. For many, every year Christmas is an "unforseen" expense.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

So I guess I'm not the only one who has noticed this bizarre "Tip everyone during Christmas" trend. Just today I was in a high-rise condo visiting a friend. There was a notice, adorned in Christmas-themed stationary, in the lobby stating (paraphrasing):

"Dear residents: We are setting up a holiday gratuity fund for our building maintenance staff, in recognition of their hard work. All donations to this fund can be sent to the central mailbox, and each will be sent with a greeting card in your name to all of our staff. Thank you, and have a wonderful holiday!"

So, on top of the $500/mo. the residents pay in condo fees, they're also being asked to pay the condo corporation's employees. It's absurd.

At first I was going to say it was absurd and just a way to pass the traditional company Christmas bonus to the residents rather than the building management. But maybe they're trying to ensure that all staff get to share in any holiday tips and not just one the pushiest or most visible ones.

It'd be nice if they included, "in addition to the regular holiday bonus employees receive..."

canyoneer posted:

https://www.birchbox.com/guide/article/how-much-do-you-tip-during-the-holiday-season
You should tip EVERYONE!

I went to college with a girl who shared that on facebook. She also pointed out that you should be sure to tip your doctor, because they have the most important job: saving your life.

Her father is a big time surgeon with the biggest practice of its kind in a top 10 US city. Guy is clearing 7 or 8 figures annually, easy. He can probably buy his own wine.

I guess it's not horribly terrible advice in the sense that, A.) Birchbox is assuming your pretty well off in this scenario and B.) they're not asking you to tip wealthy professionals in cash. More like an, "attaboy, we appreciate you!" which has the benefit of maybe getting the doctor to renew your Valium prescription next time without giving you any grief.

Which brings up the point that no doctor should ever seek out or accept a tip. Very few tips are giving altruistically. You're usually giving one to get something back (luggage carried, faster service, less spit on food). If I was a doctor and a patient tried to slip me a bottle of wine, I'd immediately suspect something or be flat out offended.

EDIT: also, there are 4 garbage men on the truck, do I tip $20 to each guy or do I throw 20 one's in the air and let them fight it out like the animals they are? This list makes no sense.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 5, 2014

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Krispy Kareem posted:

At first I was going to say it was absurd and just a way to pass the traditional company Christmas bonus to the residents rather than the building management. But maybe they're trying to ensure that all staff get to share in any holiday tips and not just one the pushiest or most visible ones.

It'd be nice if they included, "in addition to the regular holiday bonus employees receive..."

I guess it's not horribly terrible advice in the sense that, A.) Birchbox is assuming your pretty well off in this scenario and B.) they're not asking you to tip wealthy professionals in cash. More like an, "attaboy, we appreciate you!" which has the benefit of maybe getting the doctor to renew your Valium prescription next time without giving you any grief.

...which is why it's highly unethical to accept such gifts in that context. Of course there are rare occasions when accepting a bottle of wine or whatever is OK, and probably does more harm than good to turn down.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 5, 2014

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Dale Sveum posted:

You can get a free AMEX through Costco as part of your membership. It's the only card they take, and I'd rather get 1% back than nothing. Unless your bank offers a better deal when you use your debit card, I don't see why you wouldn't get one even if you use it for only the one store.

It's not bad with money to have an AMEX. It's bad with money to ONLY have AMEX. Because then you end up "oh.. They don't take AMEX... Babe, do you have any cash?"

But I do wish we had Costco here :(

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Dale Sveum posted:

I'm moving to Australia in two months (the nearest Costco will be a 1 hour flight away) and I doubt the AMEX-being-accepted situation is going to get any better there. I'm also already planning to abuse my university's lack of a credit card surcharge for tuition payments to rack up airline credit card signup bonuses :getin:

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Switchback posted:

It's not bad with money to have an AMEX. It's bad with money to ONLY have AMEX. Because then you end up "oh.. They don't take AMEX... Babe, do you have any cash?"

But I do wish we had Costco here :(

Our main card is AMEX Blue Cash Preferred ($75 annual fee but higher grocery/gas rewards) and I just checked Mint and saw that we have made over $1200 in cash back since we got the card in March 2013. For places that don't take AMEX we use Chase Freedom Visa, and switch to that one for the rotating 5% categories (gas, Amazon) during those quarters. Mint shows that we have made almost $600 in that same time.

Rewards cards are Good With Money if you use them for every purchase and pay them off every month. Especially AMEX with their "$5 back on $30 gas at BP" or "$25 back on $100 spent at Amazon" stuff that shows up every month. I love getting money back for things I was going to buy anyway!

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Do you not have a debit card or something?

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Costco is taking bids from other credit card companies to see if they are going to drop Amex as their exclusive partner. I believe they already did this in Canada. I let my Costco membership lapse because I realized it was bad with money to drive miles out of the way to save .10 cents on gas and buy a large carton of eggs every 2 weeks.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What's wrong with Amex. As others have said, they have some good cash back incentives and their purchase protection/return protection is extremely flexible. Hell, the other day, I burned up an enameled cast iron pot and was able to get purchase protection for that so I could buy another one to ruin.

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Costco is taking bids from other credit card companies to see if they are going to drop Amex as their exclusive partner. I believe they already did this in Canada. I let my Costco membership lapse because I realized it was bad with money to drive miles out of the way to save .10 cents on gas and buy a large carton of eggs every 2 weeks.

If you go to the returns desk, you can get a refund on your Costco membership if you decide its not useful at all.

http://www2.costco.com/Membership/MembershipPopup.aspx

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Costco itself is bad with money because they pay their employees too much and could probably charge $2 for their hotdogs.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Shadowhand00 posted:

What's wrong with Amex. As others have said, they have some good cash back incentives and their purchase protection/return protection is extremely flexible. Hell, the other day, I burned up an enameled cast iron pot and was able to get purchase protection for that so I could buy another one to ruin.

To add to this: AMEX offers a slew of cards with no annual fee, even nice rewards cards (including the basic Blue Cash), and despite what people think are actually accepted at most retailers. It's usually just mom and pop stores that don't take it, anyway, but that's why you also carry a Visa/MasterCard or Debit.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Rurutia posted:

It's just an appreciation thing. I don't think you're obligated to do it. But we can afford it, and it's to people who are less fortunate.

So what do you guys think about employees being expected to contribute money out of their paychecks towards getting Christmas gfts for their bosses to show their appreciation?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
It depends. My boss is just as much a victim as the rest of us. She doesn't own poo poo and actually gets a rawer deal than I do. I outearned her in 2014 due to still having OT eligibility. I'm totally ok with a "thanks for putting up with poo poo from both ends" gift.

If it's a small business and the management is in bed with ownership or is ownership then no.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Celador posted:

To add to this: AMEX offers a slew of cards with no annual fee, even nice rewards cards (including the basic Blue Cash), and despite what people think are actually accepted at most retailers. It's usually just mom and pop stores that don't take it, anyway, but that's why you also carry a Visa/MasterCard or Debit.

Fidelity Amex is no fee and a flat no limit 2% cash reward. If you spend enough at Costco to get the Exec club membership, you get a combined 4% (2% cash, 2% Costco credit)

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Krispy Kareem posted:

Costco itself is bad with money because they pay their employees too much
Considering that there are people who shop there specifically because of how Costco treats their employees, it's just advertising costs of a sort. :v:

Everything in their snack bar is amazingly cheap, though. But buying stuff at the snack bar is bad with money when you could just graze on free samples.

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

So what do you guys think about employees being expected to contribute money out of their paychecks towards getting Christmas gfts for their bosses to show their appreciation?
My workplace doesn't do that sort of thing, thankfully. Bosses giving tokens of appreciation to employees is okay(and we generally get some food and a gift card); employees aren't expected to get gifts for their bosses(or for other employees) at all.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

Considering that there are people who shop there specifically because of how Costco treats their employees, it's just advertising costs of a sort. :v:

It's not just advertising, they save shitloads on hiring costs by not having to constantly replace disposable grunts. I suspect they spend a lot less time and money fighting off class action employee lawsuits, too.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

If my income was in the 6 digits (and I wasn't killing myself for it) I would probably buy my boss a gift but otherwise no.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

:thejoke:

But honestly, if someone ran their life like Costco (paying more for stuff than everyone else and deliberately making less than they could) they'd be considered bad with money by this thread.

Don't get me wrong, I love Costco. I'm really surprised they're a public company because they don't run it like one.

My wife's company gives her a budget for Christmas gifts to her direct reports. So it's expected from top down, but going the other way is optional. She'll usually receive some kind of gift card that everyone chips in for.

I have no idea what my company does for Christmas (first holiday working here). But my boss is definitely getting something because I'm a contractor and I want him to think happy thoughts when my name comes up.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I would laugh so hard if my boss implied or asked for a gift. But we're union and he routinely harasses my coworkers and has assaulted one of them so he isn't getting poo poo that he doesn't pay for himself. (Also he must know someone in HR because he should've been fired a long time ago.)

Horrible boss aside, any gift over $10-20 total shouldn't flow up the office chain of command. It's one thing to buy something on your own in appreciation of a coworker, but it shouldn't be expected from a workplace especially for a superior. Then again, I don't like it when coworkers take up collections for anything but group holiday dinners. Our manager doesn't get us Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner out of whatever discretionary fund is available, and he routinely won't buy water or cups for our breakroom. But it's nice to share food if you're stuck at work on the holiday.

Edit: Coworkers who feel the need to start a fund for every single event (Carl's dog is retiring! Gina deserves flowers! Elaine's cousin's other aunt died!) are bad with money, and they usually are shameless about getting you to be bad with yours.

BadSamaritan fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 5, 2014

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Krispy Kareem posted:

But honestly, if someone ran their life like Costco (paying more for stuff than everyone else and deliberately making less than they could) they'd be considered bad with money by this thread.

I don't really think this thread is that shortsighted. Maybe occasionally the derail goes bonkers but overall people see the wisdom of paying employees a higher wage for the purposes of retention, attracting a higher quality employee and lowered training requirements.

i.e. when there's a benefit it's recognized. It's not just about pinching pennies.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

melon cat posted:

So I guess I'm not the only one who has noticed this bizarre "Tip everyone during Christmas" trend.

It's not really a trend, my parents and grandparents have been tipping their regular mailmen/garbage men for 30+ years. It wasn't quite as inclusive as that list, but still.

Edit:for the holidays I mean.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 5, 2014

Rhianasaurus
Dec 21, 2005

BadSamaritan posted:

Edit: Coworkers who feel the need to start a fund for every single event (Carl's dog is retiring! Gina deserves flowers! Elaine's cousin's other aunt died!) are bad with money, and they usually are shameless about getting you to be bad with yours.

I hate this too! I had a colleague who received a voluntary redundancy, which meant he got to leave with about $100 000AUD after tax as he had been with the company forever. Someone asked me to take up a collection to get him a going away gift. I told them to do it themselves - no way am I going to be the one to ask other staff to fork over their cash for someone who is getting a paid lot of money just to leave :mad:

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Since it's a condo development, the residents ARE the building management at some level.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Oh god oh god I did not mean to start Cash Back Chat there is a whole thread for that. I don't care what the rewards are, don't expect your mates to pay when your only form of money is a card that isn't accepted 90% of the places we go.

VISA isn't accepted in taxis here so I guess if that's your only form of money it's just as bad. Credit cards have benefits, sure, but coming out with zero cash on hand is a dick move.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
At first I thought it was benign but after reading the last page I'm sweating it.

We had "White Elephant" at work and we were somehow assigned someone else to buy a gift for.

I got our supervisor.

WHAT DO I DO?!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jastiger posted:

At first I thought it was benign but after reading the last page I'm sweating it.

We had "White Elephant" at work and we were somehow assigned someone else to buy a gift for.

I got our supervisor.

WHAT DO I DO?!

It's a loving White Elephant party, everyone is assigned a number and your boss won't end up with your present.

Unless you mean a Secret Santa, in which case you're straight hosed.

vv you're hosed

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 6, 2014

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Aliquid posted:

It's a loving White Elephant party, everyone is assigned a number and your boss won't end up with your present.

Unless you mean a Secret Santa, in which case you're straight hosed.

I mean Secret Santa. Sorry. The email said White Elephant, but we were assigned people, thus making it really a Secret Santa.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Jastiger posted:

I mean Secret Santa. Sorry. The email said White Elephant, but we were assigned people, thus making it really a Secret Santa.

Buy your supervisor a gun--one bullet, chambered--and attach a note: "I'm sorry to disappoint, kill me and get it over with"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jastiger posted:

I got our supervisor.

WHAT DO I DO?!

Give him a broken water softener.

varna
Mar 8, 2014

Krispy Kareem posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love Costco. I'm really surprised they're a public company because they don't run it like one.

Costco has nearly double the sales per square foot of Sam's Club(it's closest direct competitor) and is crushing most other retailers on profit and profit growth.

varna fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 6, 2014

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Jastiger posted:

I got our supervisor.

WHAT DO I DO?!

Buy them something they like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Do they have a sense of humor?

Gift exchanges in an office environment sound awful to me, glad I've never had that one.

• Locked thread