Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'll have you know OP that I dreamed about my Z31 for the firs time in many years last night and I blame you OP.

I was driving it around town and my transmission conked out. I babied it home and though "Man, this sucks. I will get nothing for it like this so I will have to fix it.. but I can probably part it out for that guy on the internet!" :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Ahahahah.

Update: S'pretty much the alternator belt. The parts guy the shop contacted gave him the wrong belt, so he had to figure out how to get the right belt.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
That's it? I want to make fun of you for something so simple but then I remember there was a time when I didn't know my way around a motor either.

You need mechanically inclined friends, though, because thats easy to spot and fix.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
When it gets back from the shop you should change whatever battery cables are still in lovely shape.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 222 days!)

Astonishing Wang posted:

When it gets back from the shop you should change whatever battery cables are still in lovely shape.

All both of them. :v: He means any tapped leads off poz, of course.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Astonishing Wang posted:

all of them

all of them forever

I'll have to figure out how to do that. Ken mentioned how to do it a while ago, but I don't know half of what he was talking about.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Sperglord Firecock posted:

all of them

all of them forever

I'll have to figure out how to do that. Ken mentioned how to do it a while ago, but I don't know half of what he was talking about.
You're probably going to want to be looking at the heavy cabling from the battery positive to the starter, from the battery positive to the alternator (often these are sun in series, so it goes battery - starter - alternator or whatever), and from the battery negative to the body, and from the engine block to either the battery negative or the body.

It's easy enough to spot, as it will be way thicker than any of the other general wiring in there.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I can help you make a battery cable and make it have that ground. I just need to get a new crimper. It also would have to be sometime next week. im outta town this weekend. But this is something easy we can do together. I thought your belt was really squeaky the day I drove it. didn't really give it to good a once over though since I was more concerned with the battery.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
WOO CAR'S BACK.

Apparently it was pretty much the Alternator belt giving it issues. With the alternator belt fixed, it has enough power to run the fans and cool it down enough to make it work. Victory!

Time to figure out what else I'm gonna do.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Guy just rebuilt the engine and hosed up on a belt that badly? Yikes. :saddowns:

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

You know what is a cool car to drive? A used Saturn Ion. It has a half-a-suicide door 'n' stuff. Maybe even XM!

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Viggen posted:

You know what is a cool car to drive? A used Saturn Ion. It has a half-a-suicide door 'n' stuff. Maybe even XM!

Don't make me remember the last Saturn I owned.

It infuriated me to the extent that I wanted this car instead of something sensible.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

I'm really trying to be nice here- if a shredded belt makes you frantic (and you can't tell that is what happened), this isn't the car that should be the one you drive (nearly) daily. It is going to cost you far too much just to keep it running. Get a shitbox for the daily, or, you know.. uh.. sell it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It's a learning process. Get in over your head a little bit! That's how we all learned this bullshit.

I got a truck, finally, so I'll be able to head over and help you wrench on it sometimes.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Bad news: Won't start again. Makes a Chachunk sound when it tries starting. Suspect that either the battery needs a bit of a boost after the alternator belt was fixed, or that the starter is going out and needs to be replaced.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Safety Dance posted:

It's a learning process. Get in over your head a little bit! That's how we all learned this bullshit.

Yeah, but this is too nice to grenade in the name of "Oh, I hosed up." Kill an SL1. I hear you get money back from the government for bringing back bits of the plastic body 'n' poo poo..

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Bet on A unless battery being older than 1 year

When you flat-gently caress a battery it takes a good charge(r) to bring it back.

Viggen posted:

Yeah, but this is too nice to grenade in the name of "Oh, I hosed up." Kill an SL1. I hear you get money back from the government for bringing back bits of the plastic body 'n' poo poo..

Or be like this choad and buy a saab, and always be in over your head.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

cursedshitbox posted:

Bet on A unless battery being older than 1 year

When you flat-gently caress a battery it takes a good charge(r) to bring it back.

Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards.

Going to have to wait a while to get a good jump enough to get me to a place that can give me a good charge.

I assume most auto-parts stores have a good charger?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Your car is a good charger. Go driving for half an hour or so.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Safety Dance posted:

Your car is a good charger. Go driving for half an hour or so.

Need it to start first.

And to do that, I need a jump, more than likely.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh yeah. God dammit.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'd advise getting a jumpbox if you're prone to leaving lights on and such.

also. does your bitching betty work? :D

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

cursedshitbox posted:

I'd advise getting a jumpbox if you're prone to leaving lights on and such.

also. does your bitching betty work? :D

Yes, yes she does.

And because the passenger door doesn't like closing very well, it bitches continuously during driving.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Yes, yes she does.

And because the passenger door doesn't like closing very well, it bitches continuously during driving.

Funny you mention that. every Z of that vintage I drove/rode in, the passenger door did that exact same loving thing.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

cursedshitbox posted:

Funny you mention that. every Z of that vintage I drove/rode in, the passenger door did that exact same loving thing.

Ahahahahaha.

That's great.

Shame you're not around in the Chicago area or I'd offer you a drive/ride.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'd offer a hand fixing the fucker up if I was.

I've worked on a shitload of those and the biturbo 90s bastards.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

cursedshitbox posted:

Ugh gently caress that door. I didn't have a sheila telling me the door was open, but I just ended up stuffing a grip of paper towels between the door and the switch. Just made any passengers go dukes of hazzard through the T-tops.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Quite A Tool posted:

Ugh gently caress that door. I didn't have a sheila telling me the door was open, but I just ended up stuffing a grip of paper towels between the door and the switch. Just made any passengers go dukes of hazzard through the T-tops.

As if doing this waas something you didn't want to do anyways?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Update: Tried getting a jump.

Car goes to start, gets to ignition like it's going to start, and then stops with nothing.

I don't know EXACTLY what this means, but if I could take a guess, it means that for one reason or another, continual running (as in the gasoline igniting and driving the pistons) is not happening.

I'm not really sure how to troubleshoot this, any tips?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Whats the gauge on the passenger side of your engine bay read while you're doing this?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
That gauge is non-functional.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Have you fixed the drat battery cables / grounds yet?

OK so it cranks fine, you get a couple hiccups of fire, then it... does what exactly?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Raluek posted:

Have you fixed the drat battery cables / grounds yet?

OK so it cranks fine, you get a couple hiccups of fire, then it... does what exactly?

Nothing.

Literally nothing. Couple hiccups and then no running.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
are you sure you have gas?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

rscott posted:

are you sure you have gas?

Yes I have gas.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

How about the car?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does your CEL self test work when you turn the key to on, but not start?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Viggen posted:

How about the car?

And I definitely have the car! It's in my driveway.

S'just that the car and the gas and the spark plugs and it no work.

:downs:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

cursedshitbox posted:

Does your CEL self test work when you turn the key to on, but not start?

Yes.

Everything electrical works when I turn the key to on. Just the engine won't do what it's supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Voltage during cranking sufficient?

The Vigge' was insinuating YOU had gas.

• Locked thread