Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

No, he means buying on one used that's on Next/Edge/Jump. If the original owner stops making payments, you have a non-working phone with no recourse.

Oops. My bad. I misinterpreted what he was saying. Completely agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Michael Scott posted:

Anyway, stupid question: If I upgrade my phone to an iPhone 6 with a 2 year contract and subsidized phone price of $200, does that mean I own the phone immediately? Meaning, in 2 months if I want to sell the iPhone 6 and get something else, I can do that with no penalty?
Is there a better option to accomplish the same thing, like would Next be worth it in this case? I'd be selling the iPhone private party on Craigslist or Facebook, which is a pain but doable.

I'm on a shared family plan by the way.

Anyone know? This just needs a really quick answer, it's not easily googleable. I'm pretty sure you own the phone as soon as you buy it, or do they stipulate you must use it for a time?

Sidenote, nothing to do with ATT: I hate the iPhone 6 contract pricing structure. Forcing you to spend $100 for $5 worth of memory.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Michael Scott posted:

Anyone know? This just needs a really quick answer, it's not easily googleable. I'm pretty sure you own the phone as soon as you buy it, or do they stipulate you must use it for a time?

Sidenote, nothing to do with ATT: I hate the iPhone 6 contract pricing structure. Forcing you to spend $100 for $5 worth of memory.

You own the phone as soon as you buy it, but ATT won't unlock it until the contract is over. Standard disclaimer that if you are on a new plan the plan goes up so it isn't worth it to buy and sell. If you are on an old plan sure you can get s discounted phone and then sell it for more online.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

obeyasia posted:

How can you own something you haven't paid for in their entirety? You may be trusted by some organization to use those properties unsupervised while you make payments on them, but you do not own them.

My condo is deeded in my name. Not the bank's. My cars are titled in my name. Not the bank's. My phone doesn't have a deed or title, but if it did, I'd expect it to be in my name. Just because something isn't paid for doesn't make it any less yours, it just means that you are not thee primary beneficiary of any proceeds from a sale, and if you don't continue paying, the lienholder has a process they can go through to reclaim funds: foreclosure, repossession, or disabling the phone and sending the balance to connections.

Legally I own my cars and house, but the lenders are granted certain rights. If they owned it they could foreclose whenever they wanted, but when they do that they end up with big lawsuits and government investigations.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

My condo is deeded in my name. Not the bank's. My cars are titled in my name. Not the bank's. My phone doesn't have a deed or title, but if it did, I'd expect it to be in my name. Just because something isn't paid for doesn't make it any less yours, it just means that you are not thee primary beneficiary of any proceeds from a sale, and if you don't continue paying, the lienholder has a process they can go through to reclaim funds: foreclosure, repossession, or disabling the phone and sending the balance to connections.

Legally I own my cars and house, but the lenders are granted certain rights. If they owned it they could foreclose whenever they wanted, but when they do that they end up with big lawsuits and government investigations.

Oh great so you do understand. While you might quibble over terminology it sounds like the carrier has been granted certain rights to protect themselves until an obligation has been fulfilled.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

obeyasia posted:

Oh great so you do understand. While you might quibble over terminology it sounds like the carrier has been granted certain rights to protect themselves until an obligation has been fulfilled.

My original point was that they have plenty of rights without locking the phone to AT&T. Locking the phone only protects their profit on service and not the profit on the phone. The phone profit is protected by the ability to blacklist the phone and put someone into collections.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

My original point was that they have plenty of rights without locking the phone to AT&T. Locking the phone only protects their profit on service and not the profit on the phone. The phone profit is protected by the ability to blacklist the phone and put someone into collections.

I don't agree. By not unlocking a Next phone immediately, it protects the carrier from someone getting 4 phones on phoney credit, paying a fraction of their value and selling them off in foreign markets.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Mr. Powers posted:

Isn't AT&T already pretty strict about credit? Actually aren't all the carriers which is why the pre-paid market is so strong? I mean obviously people walk away from debt obligations all the time but the real security is not the phone it's that if you just stop paying it would probably cause major damage to your credit that would cause all sorts of headaches for you.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Three Olives posted:

Isn't AT&T already pretty strict about credit? Actually aren't all the carriers which is why the pre-paid market is so strong? I mean obviously people walk away from debt obligations all the time but the real security is not the phone it's that if you just stop paying it would probably cause major damage to your credit that would cause all sorts of headaches for you.

Trust me, ATT has a continuos battle with fraud. Everything from international calling, fake drivers licenses, stolen info, whatever. The reason they lock the drat phones is mostly to deter fraud (yes I'm sure some of it is business). I personally though got burned for multiple phones sold to someone on next and then they just get canceled, so it happens.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
I have a Nexus 4 which I currently use on T-Mobile (bought phone from Google so I don't have a contract) and I'm on the $50 simple choice plan which is unlimited talk/text and 1GB of data.

I recently looked at AT&T's website because I was curious about their prices and because their coverage is much better than TMO's in the area where I live. After checking around their plans and stuff, I wanted to post here to make sure I have this right. It looks like I can get just get a GoPhone smartphone plan (the $45 one) that has the exact same features as my current TMO plan for $5 less per month and with much better coverage. Since I'm bringing my Nexus 4, I won't have a contract and I can just auto-refill my GoPhone plan every 30 days. Is all of that correct?

I'm really bad with cellphones and plans/carriers and all that poo poo so apologies in advance for saying anything stupid/obvious.

Is there any advantage in getting a mobile share plan instead? It looks like I would pay $50 instead of the GoPhone $45 for the same service. What's up with that?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

frosteh posted:

I have a Nexus 4 which I currently use on T-Mobile (bought phone from Google so I don't have a contract) and I'm on the $50 simple choice plan which is unlimited talk/text and 1GB of data.

I recently looked at AT&T's website because I was curious about their prices and because their coverage is much better than TMO's in the area where I live. After checking around their plans and stuff, I wanted to post here to make sure I have this right. It looks like I can get just get a GoPhone smartphone plan (the $45 one) that has the exact same features as my current TMO plan for $5 less per month and with much better coverage. Since I'm bringing my Nexus 4, I won't have a contract and I can just auto-refill my GoPhone plan every 30 days. Is all of that correct?

I'm really bad with cellphones and plans/carriers and all that poo poo so apologies in advance for saying anything stupid/obvious.

Is there any advantage in getting a mobile share plan instead? It looks like I would pay $50 instead of the GoPhone $45 for the same service. What's up with that?

The mobile share plans will have better data speeds, basically AT&T prepaid is capped at 8-10MB while post paid is just not capped. That being said, prepaid also just killed overages, so on the go phone plan if you go over its only slowed data, vs on postpaid where you get auto overages. I would recommend the go phone plan.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Cool, thanks for the reply. I don't really care about data speeds but I do care about data overages. GoPhone sounds like what I need.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

The mobile share plans will have better data speeds, basically AT&T prepaid is capped at 8-10MB while post paid is just not capped. That being said, prepaid also just killed overages, so on the go phone plan if you go over its only slowed data, vs on postpaid where you get auto overages. I would recommend the go phone plan.

I thought Cricket was speed-capped and GoPhone wasn't? I'm seeing a lot of people ditch Cricket for GoPhone because of the speed issues Cricket is having and the latter being just fine.

Edit: I'm even debating finding someone's plan to jump onto, as for the better part of the last month Cricket has gotten me a hefty .34 Mbps down on LTE. Not 3.4, .34, meanwhile HSPA got me 1.76Mbps! The only issue is that I've got two other people with me who are spending $25/month and I'd be hard pressed to find another provider that beats that for smartphone pricing.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 2, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
At my job, I have an iPhone that we had to do a factory reset on. It's just an old 4S we keep around for some QA-ing in the websites we develop.

IO didn't realize that after resetting, I needed a SIM card to set it up...I thought it would be like Android where I can just skip that part and use it without one just fine.

Am I ok to temporarily stick my personal SIM in there to get it set up, then just take it out and put it back in my phone? The iPhone was on AT&T when it was first bought (though it may be unlocked now? Not sure,) and I'm also on AT&T.

I just don't want to get hit with any sort of "new phone activation fee" or something like that if AT&T detects the "new" phone that's not new that I'm never going to actually use.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Lblitzer posted:

Edit: I'm even debating finding someone's plan to jump onto

That gets me thinking, why don't more people piggy-back on each other's plans to create a "family" plan among friends, and just send the plan owner a check every month? Obviously it creates an annoying tie-in with credit if your friends fail to pay, but is that a viable option among a group of close friends to save money?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Michael Scott posted:

That gets me thinking, why don't more people piggy-back on each other's plans to create a "family" plan among friends, and just send the plan owner a check every month? Obviously it creates an annoying tie-in with credit if your friends fail to pay, but is that a viable option among a group of close friends to save money?

You shouldn't even have to send them a check. I'm on a family plan with my GF, her mom, and her brother, and any one of us can just go online and make a payment.

It's not implemented well, because ALL of our payment options are listed, so you have to make sure to chose YOUR bank account/credit card not someone else's.

Though I suspect that's my girlfriend's fault for letting everyone use HER "master" login credentials...I think she's able to create everyone their own credentials and they have limited functionality and I would assume can only see THEIR payments options.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

At my job, I have an iPhone that we had to do a factory reset on. It's just an old 4S we keep around for some QA-ing in the websites we develop.

IO didn't realize that after resetting, I needed a SIM card to set it up...I thought it would be like Android where I can just skip that part and use it without one just fine.

Am I ok to temporarily stick my personal SIM in there to get it set up, then just take it out and put it back in my phone? The iPhone was on AT&T when it was first bought (though it may be unlocked now? Not sure,) and I'm also on AT&T.

I just don't want to get hit with any sort of "new phone activation fee" or something like that if AT&T detects the "new" phone that's not new that I'm never going to actually use.

You'll be fine.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Can I get an opinion from the ATT employees?

I brought my cousin to a corporate store on 11/28 to get her a Moto G. She was paying $30/mo on StraightTalk for a dumb phone with limited minutes. She wanted a smartphone, so I figured I can put her on my account and she'd pay $24/mo pretax for unlimited talk and text and would have the smartphone, too. I was planning to get the $150 port-a-number credit.

At the store we wait an hour for an associate. It was busy, and we expected a wait. Once we have an associate, we start the process, and he told us StraightTalk was a pain to port from. An hour and a half later, the number is ported and on a line on my account, and when he goes to put the installment plan on it he can't for reasons (it was unclear to us). He tries adding a new number, putting the phone on that, and then moving the ported number to that line, but it doesn't work.

At this point, we've been at the store for over two and a half hours. He tells us it will probably take another hour and a half to get the phone with the ported number, and something about adding a line with no number and getting a manager override. My cousin decides she doesn't love her number that much, and takes the new one.

Today I get an email about our new insurance coverage. I didn't order insurance coverage, but apparently the associate put the $10/mo coverage on a $180 phone without asking us or telling us. I call up to get that fixed and that's when I realize that we probably won't get the $150 credit because technically we didn't check all the boxes. We ported a number (which we then canceled after an hour and a half) and we added an installment plan on a new line.

I talked to a rep on the phone about it and she says I'm not eligible and I ask for a supervisor. The supervisor says she'll call me back in 10-60 minutes and three hours later, no call. I call back and get a rep that was actually quite helpful. He reviews the notes and speaks with a supervisor and tells me I can get the credit if we port the number, since it is in their system as available. At this point, though, my cousin has disseminated her new number and changed it everywhere relevant, and she doesn't want to switch it back and have to undo everything she just did. The rep says that's the only way to get the credit, and I ask him to note everything and tell him I'll call again when I have more time to speak with a supervisor. He was very nice about it.

Is this worth pursuing? We didn't want a new number, but the associate scared us off from waiting another hour and a half (and added unwanted insurance, to boot!). We actually waited out the annoyingly long process for them to port the number, but didn't want to wait longer for a work around to some dumb ATT system issue. I feel like I deserve the credit because we expended the effort to meet the requirements. I don't want to spend hours on the phone to keep getting told I won't get the credit, though. What are the chances I can get a favorable outcome?

carticket fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 3, 2014

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Powers posted:

Can I get an opinion from the ATT employees?

I brought my cousin to a corporate store on 11/28 to get her a Moto G. She was paying $30/mo on StraightTalk for a dumb phone with limited minutes. She wanted a smartphone, so I figured I can put her on my account and she'd pay $24/mo pretax for unlimited talk and text and would have the smartphone, too. I was planning to get the $150 port-a-number credit.

At the store we wait an hour for an associate. It was busy, and we expected a wait. Once we have an associate, we start the process, and he told us StraightTalk was a pain to port from. An hour and a half later, the number is ported and on a line on my account, and when he goes to put the installment plan on it he can't for reasons (it was unclear to us). He tries adding a new number, putting the phone on that, and then moving the ported number to that line, but it doesn't work.

At this point, we've been at the store for over two and a half hours. He tells us it will probably take another hour and a half to get the phone with the ported number, and something about adding a line with no number and getting a manager override. My cousin decides she doesn't love her number that much, and takes the new one.

Today I get an email about our new insurance coverage. I didn't order insurance coverage, but apparently the associate put the $10/mo coverage on a $180 phone without asking us or telling us. I call up to get that fixed and that's when I realize that we probably won't get the $150 credit because technically we didn't check all the boxes. We ported a number (which we then canceled after an hour and a half) and we added an installment plan on a new line.

I talked to a rep on the phone about it and she says I'm not eligible and I ask for a supervisor. The supervisor says she'll call me back in 10-60 minutes and three hours later, no call. I call back and get a rep that was actually quite helpful. He reviews the notes and speaks with a supervisor and tells me I can get the credit if we port the number, since it is in their system as available. At this point, though, my cousin has disseminated her new number and changed it everywhere relevant, and she doesn't want to switch it back and have to undo everything she just did. The rep says that's the only way to get the credit, and I ask him to note everything and tell him I'll call again when I have more time to speak with a supervisor. He was very nice about it.

Is this worth pursuing? We didn't want a new number, but the associate scared us off from waiting another hour and a half (and added unwanted insurance, to boot!). We actually waited out the annoyingly long process for them to port the number, but didn't want to wait longer for a work around to some dumb ATT system issue. I feel like I deserve the credit because we expensed the effort to meet the requirements. I don't want to spend hours on the phone to keep getting told I won't get the credit, though. What are the chances I can get a favorable outcome?

Call retention. They are good at fixing stuff like this. Explain the situation to them and tell them you would rather just cancel the line.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Beefstorm posted:

Call retention. They are good at fixing stuff like this. Explain the situation to them and tell them you would rather just cancel the line.

Aaaaaaa! I always hate doing this because I feel like I'm playing chicken and I'll say "yeah, I just want to cancel it" and they'll reply with "done!"

How do I get to retention? I think they helped when an associate hosed up and never changed my rate plan, which I found out was costing me $5/mo. They went in and credited me with the difference for the months I should have been at the other rate.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Powers posted:

Aaaaaaa! I always hate doing this because I feel like I'm playing chicken and I'll say "yeah, I just want to cancel it" and they'll reply with "done!"

How do I get to retention? I think they helped when an associate hosed up and never changed my rate plan, which I found out was costing me $5/mo. They went in and credited me with the difference for the months I should have been at the other rate.

If you PM me your phone number, I will get you directly connected. If you are scared of strangers, just call care and ask to be transferred there.

Easiest way to make sure they don't ACTUALLY cancel it, is to just explain the situation to them, and instead of asking to cancel, ask what they can do to help you.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Beefstorm posted:

If you PM me your phone number, I will get you directly connected. If you are scared of strangers, just call care and ask to be transferred there.

Easiest way to make sure they don't ACTUALLY cancel it, is to just explain the situation to them, and instead of asking to cancel, ask what they can do to help you.

This, I can do. I probably won't call until Friday when I have the day off, so I'll just call up customer care.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

This, I can do. I probably won't call until Friday when I have the day off, so I'll just call up customer care.

I can get you directly connected right here, the number for retention is *SAVE (hooray for shortcuts).

That being said, your scenario is a combo of bad luck on specific policies and a not great sales rep.
-the Net 10 account is certainly an ATT one (net 10 uses all 4 carriers, so your friend happens to have an ATT Net 10 phone). Therefore, ATT policy is that you are not considered a new customer, but a current customer upgrading. Kind of dumb, but it normally only screws over the rep (no new line commission) but in this case that is why they are saying you don't qualify for the promo.
-this part is really stupid: Net 10 ports simply will not qualify for Next. Its some sort of stupid flag that the customer is less likely to pay the phone off. Because we don't get a ton of switches from Net 10, a lot of reps will not know this. I haven't found a way around the policy myself yet, so this one isn't necessarily their fault (although really the manager should know).
-take off the insurance, feel free to file a complaint to either the store manager or *SAVE. Especially with the recent legal issues, AT&T reps should know better than to slam insurance.

That all being said, I'm pretty sure you can get the credit, but you don't have to necessarily call retentions to do it. In store we have an escalation email that we submit a case like this to, and they manually apply it and set it for the 3 bill cycles to hit. This harps back to the rep sucking, I'm sure he/she didn't know this. You can also try retentions, no idea if they would submit it or have to refer you to the store on that one. But take heart that it can at the least get fixed.

Edit: oh you kept a new number. I follow. Same advise applies, and the department we escalate to allows for that as well. I would still say you will get the credit, it will just take a bit of pushing on your part, specifically if the store doesn't know how to fix it.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 4, 2014

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Just here to bitch about getting throttled to poo poo after 5GB on my almost 8 year old "unlimited" plan. I can't wait for the inevitable class action lawsuit and that sweet $10 coupon and millions for the lawyers.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

pzy posted:

Just here to bitch about getting throttled to poo poo after 5GB on my almost 8 year old "unlimited" plan. I can't wait for the inevitable class action lawsuit and that sweet $10 coupon and millions for the lawyers.

Yeah, I've had the unlimited iphone data plan since it was first available, and am ready to switch to a shared family plan at this point since it will be more "unlimited" than my actual unlimited plan.

Is it still possible to get the 15gb shared plan for 10gb pricing or is that no longer available?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

If you only have one phone and are using 5 GB, the unlimited plan is still a better deal than Mobile Share Value, which would be $110 for 6 GB.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

smackfu posted:

If you only have one phone and are using 5 GB, the unlimited plan is still a better deal than Mobile Share Value, which would be $110 for 6 GB.

If you have a good discount and aren't on contract, the 10gb plan could be under $100. I get 22%, so if it were just me it would be $78+$15=$93+tax&fees. If you actually use more than 5GB regularly, it may be worth paying $30/mo more (I was paying somewhere around $60 before tax & fees when I still had unlimited single line). It also gets you legit tethering.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

pzy posted:

Yeah, sadly this is going to be a "wait for the AT&T to settle with the feds and you get nothing" thing since you can't actually sue AT&T yourself anymore (thanks supreme court!)

http://consumerist.com/2014/10/28/att-sued-by-feds-for-throttling-unlimited-wireless-customers/

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
When you sign a contract with ATT you sign away any right to sue them in court. The legality of this contract clause is what the Supreme Court agreed to. They have to be found in violation of the law by the government, in a case initiated by the government, for anything to happen legally.

The Supreme Court case that triggered the massive adoption of so-called "arbitration clauses" (signing away the right to sue) was of course against ATT in 2011, and of course it's a motherfucking 5-4 decision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_Mobility_v._Concepcion

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
I'm an ATT employee and can probably clear some things up or answer general questions if anyone has any

edit: realizing I'm more than likely a dime a dozen, here

double edit: including the thread starter. Welp

OH WORD SON fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 7, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

- edit never mind

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Dec 7, 2014

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...
So after a long and painful year and a half with Sprint for voice service, I finally ditched them and went with AT&T completely (I had a contract with them for a mobile hotspot) after my dad decided he had had enough of them as well and cancelled the family plan we were on. Here's what I ended up with:

Mobile Share Value Plan 10 GB: $100
Mobile Share participant (smartphone): $40
Mobile Share value savings: -$25
Mobile Share participant (hotspot): $20

Total without my 20% FAN discount is $135 before taxes/fees. Did I do ok, or is there a way to shrink the bill further? I would have consulted the thread first, but I didn't have much time. Would I be wise to find a LTE tablet, switch the hotspot line to that to save a few bucks per month, and just use that as a hotspot?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bigtom posted:

So after a long and painful year and a half with Sprint for voice service, I finally ditched them and went with AT&T completely (I had a contract with them for a mobile hotspot) after my dad decided he had had enough of them as well and cancelled the family plan we were on. Here's what I ended up with:

Mobile Share Value Plan 10 GB: $100
Mobile Share participant (smartphone): $40
Mobile Share value savings: -$25
Mobile Share participant (hotspot): $20

Total without my 20% FAN discount is $135 before taxes/fees. Did I do ok, or is there a way to shrink the bill further? I would have consulted the thread first, but I didn't have much time. Would I be wise to find a LTE tablet, switch the hotspot line to that to save a few bucks per month, and just use that as a hotspot?

You did fine. The tablet question is really up to you, it would lower the bill by $10 a month.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

My wife and I are on the 10GB mobile share plan. Is tethering allowed on the 10GB plan or should I get her an LTE iPad?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

BobbyDrake posted:

My wife and I are on the 10GB mobile share plan. Is tethering allowed on the 10GB plan or should I get her an LTE iPad?

All the mobile share plans allow tethering :)

http://forums.att.com/t5/General-Account-Questions/Mobile-share-value-plan-and-data-tethering/td-p/3905433

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I currently have the old unlimited data plan on my iphone but am going to be getting a 6, and it looks like I can't keep my data plan when I upgrade. Is that true or am I missing something? It's not a big deal since I'll probably be switching over to a family shared data plan (and won't get throttled after 5gb hopefully) but I'm just curious.

Right now our total bill is in the $240 a month range for four phones (unlimited iphone, 2gb iphone, 2gb for a windows phone, and a flip phone with no data plan) and the site shows a price of $170 for a 10gb shared family plan, would we actually end up paying around that much or would all the other fees and charges bring that price back up to around what we're paying now? We have something like a 21% discount through one of our employers for the family and I'm not sure if that's figured into the $170 figure or not.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Suprfli6 posted:

I currently have the old unlimited data plan on my iphone but am going to be getting a 6, and it looks like I can't keep my data plan when I upgrade. Is that true or am I missing something? It's not a big deal since I'll probably be switching over to a family shared data plan (and won't get throttled after 5gb hopefully) but I'm just curious.

Right now our total bill is in the $240 a month range for four phones (unlimited iphone, 2gb iphone, 2gb for a windows phone, and a flip phone with no data plan) and the site shows a price of $170 for a 10gb shared family plan, would we actually end up paying around that much or would all the other fees and charges bring that price back up to around what we're paying now? We have something like a 21% discount through one of our employers for the family and I'm not sure if that's figured into the $170 figure or not.

Yeah that $170 sounds about right if it's just you getting a new phone. Everyone else would roll over to the new plan at the no-contract price.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

You definitely can keep unlimited data with a 6 when you upgrade. I ordered mine online and there was even a "keep current plan" option that had it But yeah a family plan is a whole other story

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Suprfli6 posted:

Ok, let's break it down:

Current plan:
Voice: $60 + $10 + $10 + $10 = $90
Messaging: $30
Data: $30 + $25 + $25
Discount: $33 (discount is $60 voice and $90 data)
Total: $200 - $33 = $167
Example iPhone: $240 up front ($200 + $40), which equals $10 a month over 24 months. So plan Is $176 for comparison purposes.

Check your plan and tell me why you are paying $240. This is my guess at your numbers, it lines up with what you say you have but not with what you pay.

New plan:
Call/text/data: $100
Lines: $15 * 4 = $60
Discount: $21 ($100 * 21%)
Total: $160 - $21 = $146
Phone: $27 a month over 24 months on next, so total is $173.

Honestly, a huge advantage is you get 21% off the data add ons on the old plan, so I would probably recommend your old plan and two year contract price wise. Whether you want more data or tethering I guess will be your call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Thanks for the breakdown. It looks like we're paying 100+10+10+10 for voice right now instead of what you listed though, any idea why that is? The voice plan is listed as SBATTFT9NAT2100R.

nimper posted:

Yeah that $170 sounds about right if it's just you getting a new phone. Everyone else would roll over to the new plan at the no-contract price.

What do you mean by rolling over at no-contract price? Their next phone upgrades would be more or something?

Thanks for the assistance guys, it's a heck of a lot more straightforward than trying to piece this altogether myself.