Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

and he does it while dealing with bipolar disorder, a condition I've seen affect people in such a way that holding down a part-time job is difficult to them (which is totally understandable).
He mentioned in a Z2 interview a while back that his bipolar symptoms seemed to fade away once he quit drinking and taking drugs, so now he's not entirely sure whether it was a shrooms/acid-induced misdiagnosis or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Devin Townsend Project @ Metro Chicago 11/26/2014 Full show
http://youtu.be/y3pD22MZbXo

The audio mix seems a bit off, though.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

AzureSkys posted:

The audio mix seems a bit off, though.

Just like being at a real Devin gig then!

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Folks kept complaining about the fart sounds on deconstruction and I assumed they just meant the mix.

The Jenk
Apr 18, 2009
I don't know what's wrong with me. All this love for Z2... And I can't get into it at all... :(

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
So guess who had to give away Devin tickets to take care of a sick child and sick wife?

<------------ this guy

:(

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

You sir, are a saint.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Best wishes to your family, stab :)

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The Jenk posted:

I don't know what's wrong with me. All this love for Z2... And I can't get into it at all... :(

I like Sky Blue a lot better than Dark Matters, as it seems most of the thread does too :ssh:

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Whats sad about Sickfest 2014 in the stab household, is that my wife is probably a bigger Devin fan that I. I introduced her to S.Y.L (while she was trying to convince me that Hypocrisy was a good band), and one of our first concerts/dates (memory is a little fuzzy, somebody confirm for me) was Devin/ children of bodom and B.L.S at the famous montreal shithole, Foufounes Electriques.

My brother sent me some videos of the show he took (he was the lucky recipient of the tickets, which i havent seen yet since I've been cleaning toddler puke all night :(

Did i mention this show sold out on the first day of sales too?

Sure, I've seen Devin six or seven times, but missing this one hurts :(

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I'm going to the show in NYC on Saturday.. the printable tickets have Animals As Leaders as the larger headline text.. please say this isn't true

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Varg posted:

I'm going to the show in NYC on Saturday.. the printable tickets have Animals As Leaders as the larger headline text.. please say this isn't true

It is. :(

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Oh wait so Devin is playing first on the tour our is that just in some dates?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

axleblaze posted:

Oh wait so Devin is playing first on the tour our is that just in some dates?

He opened in montreal. Dont know for the other dates tbh

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

oh sure lets get all pumped the gently caress up from Devy and then mellow out (and probably leave early) during the headliner because that makes any loving sense

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I quite like Animals As Leaders (I saw them a while ago before anyone has heard of them opening for Dillinger Escape Plan) but it would still be better to get a longer Devin set if only because I've only really listened to one AAL album all that much (and of course I like Devin better).

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

He's listed on the top headline for tomorrow's show in Worcester, we'll see how that goes :ohdear:

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
I'm going to that show tomorrow and I was expecting Dev to be headlining. I'll report whether that's the case.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Saw him in SF a few years back, got unlucky and he wasn't headlining that particular night. It's very disappointing and I wish it wasn't 'a thing'.

Still waiting on my pledge reward. I'm not mad, just disappointed that he bit off more than he could chew.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 5, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm not looking forward to going to the Palladium tomorrow. I've really grown to not like that place despite seeing some great shows there. It doesn't help that the last time I saw Devin there I got kicked out.

Ah well. It's still better than the House of Blue.

The Jenk
Apr 18, 2009

Kaboobi posted:

I like Sky Blue a lot better than Dark Matters, as it seems most of the thread does too :ssh:

Not enjoying that either. Ah well, can't win them all... :(

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002

axleblaze posted:

I'm not looking forward to going to the Palladium tomorrow. I've really grown to not like that place despite seeing some great shows there. It doesn't help that the last time I saw Devin there I got kicked out.

Ah well. It's still better than the House of Blue.

I hear that a lot for some reason, but I've never had a problem with that place. I haven't been there in years though. Last time I saw Dev was an SYL show.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm at the venue and it says "Devin Townsend Project" on the marquee do it's safe to say he's probably headlining.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Grandmaster.flv fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 5, 2014

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Aw, gently caress, I didn't realize he's sharing the headline again? This happened on the last tour, when I saw him in St. Pete, I left early because Gojira was the headline. I love Animals As Leaders (already saw them one with Meshuggah), but I really want that Devin headline.

Just found this link, it notes each date that DTP headlines. Which includes Atlanta. Booyah! Driving up from Tampa, took Monday and Tuesday off, booked hotel for Monday night, let's do this poo poo.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Revol posted:

Aw, gently caress, I didn't realize he's sharing the headline again? This happened on the last tour, when I saw him in St. Pete, I left early because Gojira was the headline. I love Animals As Leaders (already saw them one with Meshuggah), but I really want that Devin headline.

Just found this link, it notes each date that DTP headlines. Which includes Atlanta. Booyah! Driving up from Tampa, took Monday and Tuesday off, booked hotel for Monday night, let's do this poo poo.

I think last time he was just straight up opening for Gojira.

Glad that Atlanta is gonna have him as the headliner, can't loving wait.

e: i had to cheat and look at the setlist and holy poo poo it looks so good

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Revol posted:

You left before Gojira? You dumb, son.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I saw him a few years ago and he was doing a co-headline thing with... Turisas? Turistas? Apparently they just flipped a coin each night to decide who headlined. LUCKILY I got a DTP headline that night. Turisas (?) were good but I think most people were there for Dev.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Bruce Boxliker posted:

You left before Gojira? You dumb, son.
yeah lol what were you thinking. oh well, I mean I like AAL okay but they're a band I never would really care about seeing live

Sr. Wiggles
May 5, 2008

Revol posted:

According to this list he didn't close Philly show... but i was there, he did. so be careful! (And im glad because i arrived halfway through animals as leaders, i would've been so pissed had i missed dtp.)

oh and the show was epic. my ONLY small, tiny gripe is that i really wanted to hear something "heavier" off deconstruction. i loved when he played juular last time he was in philly. But regardless, i loved it. His stage presence is unlike any other. The music is always on point and he's entertaining and seems like he's always having a great time.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Sr. Wiggles posted:

According to this list he didn't close Philly show... but i was there, he did. so be careful!

This gives me hope for his last show in SF. Thanks for pointing this out.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Twas a pretty great show. Seemed a bit short and as usual his levels were not great (it was honestly almost impossible to make out a thing in Rejoice) but it was still a hell of a time.

I do kind of like that Devin sort of inadvertently dissed Monuments at the end (I shoudl no that Monuments weren't bad but the lead singer was ridiculously too good for that band).

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
Yes it was a good show. I think the levels got adjusted as the set went on. It also didn't help that the two other bands had so much low end compared to dev that it was quite a contrast.

Little disheartening to hear him talk like he wasn't having a good time on the tour. It didn't seem like it affected his performance though he was still great.

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥

Revol posted:

I left early because Gojira was the headline.
Like other goons here, this just makes me weep. How could you miss this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqg8bsDayak

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Zalgo posted:

Like other goons here, this just makes me weep. How could you miss this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqg8bsDayak

Saw Devin in Houston, we left after a few Gojira songs. Devin's set was like, 8 songs long, so we strapped ourselves in for Gojira and it took them almost an hour and a half to set up the stage for that giant head from l'enfant sauvage. They were ripping it up, but the lull in between killed all our energy.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Gojira loving own live. It's ridiculous.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Dev deserves a 3 hour set every single night.. can we crowd fund that sort of thing?

I can't even be mad at AAL closing the show last night in NYC though, that crowd made it a lot of fun. My friend snagged this broken drumstick that fell to the floor of the pit.. He thought it might be RVP's, I think it's the Monuments drummer's though.

axleblaze posted:

I do kind of like that Devin sort of inadvertently dissed Monuments at the end (I shoudl no that Monuments weren't bad but the lead singer was ridiculously too good for that band).
haha this is so true.. my friend and I agreed that he needs a band more like Soilwork or something. That guy could probably do any genre he wanted to though really

I didn't know what to expect for a set list, and while I definitely wasn't disappointed, I just wish he had more time to throw some other stuff in. My life would be complete if I could ever see him play "Away" live someday.

spoiler:

Set list limited to tracks from Sky Blue/Dark Matters, Epicloud, Infinity, and Ocean Machine. Grace might be the most fun live song ever, wow.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Varg posted:

Set list limited to tracks from Sky Blue/Dark Matters, Epicloud, Infinity, and Ocean Machine. Grace might be the most fun live song ever, wow.

Nothing from the first 4 DTP albums? smdh

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
He played Regulator and Bad Devil in Worcester. Didn't really get into some of the new stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
There are too many songs that I would want to see played live. I need to teach myself to just lose myself and enjoy what comes. Besides, sometimes a live show reintroduces you to a song. I got a lot more out of Grace and, to a lesser extent, More, after last year's show.

• Locked thread