Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Law Cheetah posted:

Webcomics like this typically release on a schedule of like 2 pages a month, or something like that.

I was curious and looked at this and it looks like she more or less does 2 pages a week, though that's on top of commissions and other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
unsounded is of similar visual quality, full-color, and updated religiously three times a week when it's not on between chapter hiatus. Lot of good webcomics out there anymore.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Unsounded is incredible, yeah. Webcomics aren't always the no-quality two-guys-talking-about-video-games crap they used to be anymore. Ava's Demon is another webcomic that is absolutely gorgeous, although the beginning isn't quite as good as the most recent pages.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Please post about webcomics somewhere else. It's pie time in Cat's Eye.

http://bato.to/read/_/287306/cats-eye_v9_ch65_by_happyscans

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

So in Seven Deadly Sins they just introduced Power LevelsTM. gently caress.

http://bato.to/read/_/288312/nanatsu-no-taizai_ch106_by_red-hawk-neo

Kramjacks fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 3, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kramjacks posted:

So in Seven Deadly Sins they just introduced Power LevelsTM. gently caress.

http://bato.to/read/_/288312/nanatsu-no-taizai_ch106_by_red-hawk-neo

Uh, I'm pretty sure they're not meant to be taken seriously/are at most a general reading of an opponent. As it showed in the chapter Meiodas' power level went up when he started putting in a bit more effort.

It also doesn't seem to take into account any special abilities the person has, at least if they're not using them. I'd bet if they scanned Meliodas' when he did the super counter thing against Hendricksen, that his power level would be way higher. Seems like it's aping DBZ now that's it done with FMA, where the power levels don't really matter and will at most be used to show how powerful the new main villain (a la Freeza) is.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 3, 2014

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
No it didn't? Hawk didn't check his level until the end of the chapter. I bet Meliodas' power goes up when he uses his demon powers though.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I'm hoping it doesn't stick around and is only there for the "Meliodas' power level is higher than Sir Hawk's!?" gag.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

No it didn't? Hawk didn't check his level until the end of the chapter. I bet Meliodas' power goes up when he uses his demon powers though.

It doesn't directly state that, but that's obviously being implied by what happens. Since they have Meliodas scanned when fighting as opposed to just standing, it must read based on w/e the target is currently doing. Meaning if they're holding back their apparent power level will appear to be lower (which is also exactly how it worked in DBZ, just to note). This also means it likely cannot take special abilities into account, at least if they're not being used, which makes the reading kind of pointless when Meliodas has those two counter abilities which depend on the strength of his opponent/the beating Meliodas takes.

We'll see if this continues to be true but I doubt it'll change.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Genocyber posted:

It doesn't directly state that, but that's obviously being implied by what happens. Since they have Meliodas scanned when fighting as opposed to just standing, it must read based on w/e the target is currently doing.

Yeah you're gonna have to elaborate on that because I don't see that implied at all.

Special abilities will make the power levels a bit less important though yeah.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

Yeah you're gonna have to elaborate on that because I don't see that implied at all.

Special abilities will make the power levels a bit less important though yeah.

If it could read someone's maximum power then they could have just scanned him right off. Instead they had it done while fighting, which suggests it calculates their power level based on their fighting, which is going to be dependent on how much effort they're actually giving.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Everyone should be reading "Gakkyu Hotei: School Judgment" -- a manga illustrated by the guy that drew for Bakuman.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 3, 2014

coathat
May 21, 2007

Please don't steal manga.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

DrSunshine posted:

Oh so that's what Obata's been up to after Bakuman ended. A new shonen court - school manga!

EDIT: Hahaha! "OBJECTION!!" Phoenix Wright is a cheeky elementary school kid!

EDIT: This is wacky as all hell. It's what I've come to expect from the best of Japanese comedies.

What the gently caress did I just read.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Well... That was something. I'll definitely read the next chapter or two, it seems like it could be interesting.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Waffleman_ posted:

What the gently caress did I just read.
Seigi no Mikata meets PCP. Now he needs to make a Money and Intelligence manga :allears:

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Ahaha this is something else. Those judge babies are ridiculous!

I'm quite interested to see how this turns out.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
That was great. I spent the whole time listening to Ace Attorney soundtracks while reading it. Switch to random Objection/Cornered theme when appropriate.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
This is insane and stupid and I kind of love it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I've been watching Gintama lately, and enjoying it. Sometimes the jokes don't land, but then one really does land and I forget about the one that was bad. Plus, the drama actually works in general, which is surprising.

Anyway, are either of the movies worth watching? One of them calls itself the ending of the series but I'm not sure if it's a literal ending or just a gag/marketing ploy.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The first movie is a compilation of episodes 58-61 (the Benizakura arc) with some extra scenes, definitely worth watching that over the tv version if only for the gags they added at the end of the movie.

The other movie definitely calls it an ending as a marketing ploy (It combines the names of all the Yamato movies into one title) but you should definitely watch it since it's pretty good!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It was a bit of a marketing ploy, but they also haven't made any episodes since the movie's release so it might actually be the ending of the gintama anime. It's also pretty cool.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The anime tends to sell pretty well so I am confident that the show will return someday! Considering how the last season went I am fine with waiting for more manga chapters to pile up.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Chapter two of Gakkyu Hotei just dropped. http://www.vizmanga.com/sjalpha/signup

You can really tell he's having a great time drawing this.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Just finished reading Bakuman. I was surprised at how pulled in I was by it, the characters were all really fun and while it was clearly filtered you do get to learn alot of cool stuff about the manga industry. Hiramaru and Yoshida were the best characters in the whole thing though, no question. Probably my only complaint is the character designs stayed pretty much the same throughout the entire series to the point that it didn't really feel like it went across 10 years. Maybe they did change and it was just subtle enough for me not to notice but other than that it was pretty much perfect.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Just finished reading Bakuman. I was surprised at how pulled in I was by it, the characters were all really fun and while it was clearly filtered you do get to learn alot of cool stuff about the manga industry. Hiramaru and Yoshida were the best characters in the whole thing though, no question. Probably my only complaint is the character designs stayed pretty much the same throughout the entire series to the point that it didn't really feel like it went across 10 years. Maybe they did change and it was just subtle enough for me not to notice but other than that it was pretty much perfect.

Bakuman would be 20 times better without the incredibly boring romance crap between the main guy and the voice actress.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

K. Flaps posted:

Bakuman would be 20 times better without the incredibly boring romance crap between the main guy and the voice actress.

I was surprised to see that she constantly ranked high on polls because she is the most boring character in the entire series. At least you could go entire arcs without her really being mentioned.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

K. Flaps posted:

To be fair, this is a manga about making manga, not becoming a VA or the relationship between a mangaka and a VA. If it was about becoming a VA, then the voice actress love interest would probably become more interesting with the mangaka becoming super dull. If it was about the relationship... well it probably wouldn't be published in Shounen Jump, unless it had some absolutely retarded harem antics or something, which would once again make the voice actress boring.

That reminds me: does anyone know a good shounen series that actually have decent romance without the harem shenanigans?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

jwang posted:

That reminds me: does anyone know a good shounen series that actually have decent romance without the harem shenanigans?

Midori no Hibi, though its main draw is probably its absurdity in that a dude wakes up to find that his right hand has become a girl who has been crushing on him. Baby Steps has a fairly nice romance, but it's a sports manga first. Beck is good too, but it's primarily about the band and their ventures. I'd also recommend Mahoraba since I like to recommend it every chance I get though it admittedly sits on the borderline of harem shenanigans, since the heroine has split personalities, and has a bit of reliance on harem gag humor. Despite that premise, it does have a pretty nice payoff if you stick with it, and it has a solid supporting cast. Otherwise, most shonen series are gonna have harem shenanigans, and you'll probably want to branch out to seinen, shoujo, or josei for more solid romances.

Gonna throw out Angel Densetsu as well just because more people should read Angel Densetsu.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Dec 11, 2014

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

jwang posted:

shounen series that actually have decent romance without the harem shenanigans?

Does not compute.

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

jwang posted:

X-Men Psyren?

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

SgtMongoose posted:

X-Men Psyren?

Man, that series was so great, but had such an abrupt ending. I really hate the dumb cancellation policies that scrap good stuff but allow sheer garbage to continue simply because it's drenched in fanservice.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Fuego Fish posted:

Man, that series was so great, but had such an abrupt ending. I really hate the dumb cancellation policies that scrap good stuff but allow sheer garbage to continue simply because it's drenched in fanservice.

It's unfortunate that so few manga have good, well-placed endings. Most series either abruptly get axed/author quits and have maybe 2-6 chapters to slap together an ending, or else they're too popular to die and just get dragged out well past the point that anyone still gives a poo poo by the end.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Psyren's problem was that it should have been in a seinen magazine

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

madmac posted:

It's unfortunate that so few manga have good, well-placed endings. Most series either abruptly get axed/author quits and have maybe 2-6 chapters to slap together an ending, or else they're too popular to die and just get dragged out well past the point that anyone still gives a poo poo by the end.
Satoshi Mizukami seems to have a pretty good thing going; Biscuit Hammer was 10 volumes and clearly ended exactly the way it was meant to and I can't help but feel that Spirit Circle has had an ending in mind since the beginning and won't overstay its welcome.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

jwang posted:

You might want to try looking up Love Roma. It's a kind of sweet and quirky love comedy about a really honest and straightforward guy and a girl who's good at making sarcastic comebacks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

jwang posted:

You should probably be reading Truthism

It kinda appears to be a harem manga at first with the female to male ratio, but honestly it's way more honest than harem series are.

It's also genuinely funny for a manga, most manga aren't really humorous but damned if Truthism isn't hilarious in its absurdity.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Kishimoto's brother has just started a new series. Premise is that murder vengeance is now legalized as a corporal punishment.

EDIT: Don't really care for the premise that much personally. Probably not gonna stick with it.

Also for Jwang and anyone else curious, I did discover another shonen romance that's fully complete and isn't harem antics. Samurai Usagi stars a couple that start off already married. Haven't read too far into it yet, but it seems cute. Translation's a bit iffy though.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 15, 2014

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Allarion posted:

Kishimoto's brother has just started a new series. Premise is that murder vengeance is now legalized as a corporal punishment.

EDIT: Don't really care for the premise that much personally. Probably not gonna stick with it.

Yeah, posted this is in the other thread you posted it in because I saw it there first, but I'll repeat it here: I honestly find it pretty disgusting in premise and execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It could be a cool dystopian future type manga, but instead it's 'criminals are the loving worst, and there are no incorrect verdicts, ever'

and that guy going 'i don't want to kill him' and then gettign a badass panel when he decided to do it was extremely lol