Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

cursedshitbox posted:

Voltage during cranking sufficient?

The Vigge' was insinuating YOU had gas.

Aaaah.

Yes, it's getting up to about 12V during cranking. I have that gauge right next to my head in the driver's seat, so that's handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
When it cranks, does it:

A. Crank forever with no sounds of it "catching"
B. Crank, sputter almost to life or sputter like it's trying to turn on, but doesn't stay running
or
C. Crank, start running, but immediately die?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Adiabatic posted:

When it cranks, does it:

A. Crank forever with no sounds of it "catching"
B. Crank, sputter almost to life or sputter like it's trying to turn on, but doesn't stay running
or
C. Crank, start running, but immediately die?

B.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Yeah check fuel pressure.

Edit: would help if that gauge were functional :downs:

Edit edit: VVVVVV He's got an in-line gauge on the passenger side, if you look at the first pic in the OP.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 6, 2014

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Woot! Now the fun things.

Verify spark during cranking. pop a plug wire off, stuff a screwdriver in the fucke rand stick it near something metal. look for an arc. don't touch the fucker while doing this!

Verify fuel pressure. don't have a fuel pressure reader? grab the old style tire pressure gauge and measure whats at the shrader valve on the fuel rail. I can't remember if these have test ports or not.

EFB: Beaten' like a gimp in a dungeon. goddammit.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

cursedshitbox posted:

Woot! Now the fun things.

Verify spark during cranking. pop a plug wire off, stuff a screwdriver in the fucke rand stick it near something metal. look for an arc. don't touch the fucker while doing this!

Verify fuel pressure. don't have a fuel pressure reader? grab the old style tire pressure gauge and measure whats at the shrader valve on the fuel rail. I can't remember if these have test ports or not.

EFB: Beaten' like a gimp in a dungeon. goddammit.

Okay. I'll have to give this a shot when it's daylight, and when I have a helping hand. I don't have much helping hands around the area, since my mom pretty much says, "IT'S YOUR CAR" and doesn't really help that much.

I'll get an old-timey tire pressure gauge when I get the chance. I have a feeling it's useful for all number of things.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

First confirm fuel and spark as mentioned. Ensure plug/coil wires are snug. Remember the spark plugs on these are a bitch to get at. There is a tool to pull the plugs in your tool kit next to the spare tire (or at least there should be).

Was it running well before the no start fiasco? Download that OEM shop manual (or get a Haynes), pop the passenger kick panel off and run the codes off the ECU LED lights. Crank angle sensors were common to go on these 20 years ago, I can't imagine they've gotten more reliable. ECUs were known to go too. I had to replace the one in my 1985 around 1992 or so.

Does it sound like it's backfiring or anything at all when cranking? If so, I'd be concerned with timing and a cam jumping. We can go down that road later if you need to.

I don't think these have a test port for fuel pressure unless the PO installed one with his gauge setup.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

take a video of trying to start it

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Is the distributor in the front of the motor like the old L series?

If so, check the connection to the bottom of the distributor. Maybe it got knocked loose when changing the belt.

If you spray a little ether into it and it starts, my guess would be fuel pump/wiring.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Okay. I'll have to give this a shot when it's daylight, and when I have a helping hand. I don't have much helping hands around the area, since my mom pretty much says, "IT'S YOUR CAR" and doesn't really help that much.

I'll get an old-timey tire pressure gauge when I get the chance. I have a feeling it's useful for all number of things.

You have a gauge as Adiabatic pointed out. Ignore my babble.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

cursedshitbox posted:

You have a gauge as Adiabatic pointed out. Ignore my babble.

The gauge on the engine on the passenger side is non-functional. Or, at least, I suspect it is non-functional. It has liquid inside of it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Many times pressure gauges are liquid filled. I'd see if it does anything when you try cranking.

Edit: See if it registers when you have the key to on but the engine off. If it does, tell us the number.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Liquid filled pressure gauges are indeed a thing.

iirc it gives a more accurate reading.

E: VVVVVVV Bugger.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 6, 2014

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

cursedshitbox posted:

Liquid filled pressure gauges are indeed a thing.

iirc it gives a more accurate reading.

As in it looks like either fuel/oil drops inside of the gauge face.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Liquid filled gauges are filled with oil, although typically not colored as that would be counter productive. It should be very full, as in 80%+ if it is supposed to be filled. Just drops or condensation means it's a P.O.S. and broke.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

slidebite posted:

Liquid filled gauges are filled with oil, although typically not colored as that would be counter productive. It should be very full, as in 80%+ if it is supposed to be filled. Just drops or condensation means it's a P.O.S. and broke.

Yeah, it's a POS.

I already got that covered by a few people.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
ZX guys. does anybody remember what the injection pressure is on his car? Cause if its under ~50psi, I have a good in line pressure gauge I'll send to this guy tomorrow.

E: Given that he wants it. Its left-ups form shitpile of course.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

cursedshitbox posted:

ZX guys. does anybody remember what the injection pressure is on his car? Cause if its under ~50psi, I have a good in line pressure gauge I'll send to this guy tomorrow.

E: Given that he wants it. Its left-ups form shitpile of course.

I'll take it, sure.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
36psi with engine off or vacuum reference disconnected, ~29psi with vacuum line on, 36psi at wot and 1:1 increase per psi of boost.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Is it cranking over at normal speed?
It still might be an electrical issue, after all you just had no belt for the alternator for a while.

Just seems weird to move on from electrical to suspecting fuel or something... Co-incidences happen, but with an unknown battery, electrics and a known terrible battery wiring, I'd still be looking there, unless the motor is cranking over at the full RPM it should be and (edit) it's easy to test it for spark as well.

Do people still use hydrometers to check batteries? I used to use them ages ago when I had carbed cars, maybe use that and check if the battery is healthy enough to not suffer from low voltage while cranking as it's going to need to be good while the wiring is bad. Also can't rule out charging/jumping shenanigans, if you stuffed that up, you could have fried something in your ECU.
I hope you got a good charger and charged it while disconnected from your (lovely) battery terminals.

I couldn't drive my 2004 model ute yesterday anyway due to a flat battery to had to go through the same thing :smith:
I know there's not much risk with charging or jumping that, but older EFI cars were more susceptible to being damaged by jump starts or connecting chargers straight up to them. (Dunno, I went from carbs to haltech, missing the lovely EFI decades, and only owned post 1997 modern efi cars)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 6, 2014

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I use a small Ctek battery conditioner on older batteries myself, and I've found it can often rescue borderline ones that I've let get low, or at least get me a little more time out of them.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Fo3 posted:

Is it cranking over at normal speed?
It still might be an electrical issue, after all you just had no belt for the alternator for a while.

Just seems weird to move on from electrical to suspecting fuel or something... Co-incidences happen, but with an unknown battery, electrics and a known terrible battery wiring, I'd still be looking there, unless the motor is cranking over at the full RPM it should be and (edit) it's easy to test it for spark as well.

Do people still use hydrometers to check batteries? I used to use them ages ago when I had carbed cars, maybe use that and check if the battery is healthy enough to not suffer from low voltage while cranking as it's going to need to be good while the wiring is bad. Also can't rule out charging/jumping shenanigans, if you stuffed that up, you could have fried something in your ECU.
I hope you got a good charger and charged it while disconnected from your (lovely) battery terminals.

I couldn't drive my 2004 model ute yesterday anyway due to a flat battery to had to go through the same thing :smith:
I know there's not much risk with charging or jumping that, but older EFI cars were more susceptible to being damaged by jump starts or connecting chargers straight up to them. (Dunno, I went from carbs to haltech, missing the lovely EFI decades, and only owned post 1997 modern efi cars)

Well, sometimes it doesn't crank over at all. Just goes clunk.

Then it does crank over and it catches and then shuts off immediately.

Hopefully it's not the ECU, that sounds very expensive. I don't like expensive things. :< Battery is running at 12V, I have a gauge near my head on the driver's side that displays the voltage when the car is set to run.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

A battery can show 12v and still be shot. In fact, a healthy battery will show more than 12V. Not quite sure what you mean by "clunk" and "catches then shuts off immediately"

Can you take a quick vid and upload to youtube or something? Would make it easier to assist.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

slidebite posted:

A battery can show 12v and still be shot. In fact, a healthy battery will show more than 12V. Not quite sure what you mean by "clunk" and "catches then shuts off immediately"

Can you take a quick vid and upload to youtube or something? Would make it easier to assist.

I'd love to, but I'd need someone holding the camera.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The audio will probably be more important than the video. Can you just put the camera on a table or something near the engine compartment and crank?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Oooookay, just found something interesting.

Bitchin' Betty, when I turn the key to run, says, "FUEL LEVEL LOW".

..... Goddammit, did this guy suck out all my gas or something?

Alternately, the fuel pressure is hosed.

I'm going to try gas first. That's the easiest thing to fix.

fishception fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 6, 2014

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

...Do you know that your fuel gauge works / is accurate?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Raluek posted:

...Do you know that your fuel gauge works / is accurate?

Pretty sure the fuel pressure gauge does not work.

Voltage is running a bit low again, down around 11. Gonna see if I can get a charge pack from my neighbor and use that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pretty sure the fuel pressure gauge does not work.

Voltage is running a bit low again, down around 11. Gonna see if I can get a charge pack from my neighbor and use that.

No, I mean the gauge that tells you how much fuel is in the tank.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Oooookay, just found something interesting.

Bitchin' Betty, when I turn the key to run, says, "FUEL LEVEL LOW".

Alternately, the fuel pressure is hosed.

I'm going to try gas first. That's the easiest thing to fix.

lmao

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I mean technically we were right about the low fuel pressure :downs:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Yea that gauge might be fine after all, haha.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

rscott posted:

are you sure you have gas?

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

I don't have much helping hands around the area, since my mom pretty much says, "IT'S YOUR CAR" and doesn't really help that much.

Moms: holding you back from putting gas in your car.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
feel good thread of the year

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
It was not the gas.

:<

More troubleshooting to occur tomorrow when it's light out.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Have YOUR MOM hold the camera while cranking the motor.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My mom is cool as hell, she's always down to help :smug:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Tried to record it today. It has stopped cranking entirely, probably need to jump it again before it'll do its weird hiccup-notstart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Investing in a cheap 6/2 manual battery charger might not be a bad buy at this point.

• Locked thread