Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magres
Jul 14, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

Holy LOL, if that isn't pacific_northwest.jpg I don't know what is. Old Volvo (although Subaru would be better), Northface jackets, frivolous service animal (in a god drat grocery store)... yep it checks out.

Emotional Support Animals are a legitimate thing. Just because a critter isn't a seeing eye dog doesn't mean it's a 'frivolous service animal.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

SedanChair posted:

Post your #1 secret-squirrel blackberry picking spots

-Burlington Northern land along the Puyallup River

My parents property is basically 5 acres of blackberries at this point. The best spots are anywhere that isn't open to the public or easily accessible.

It amazes me how many people will eat berries growing on the side of the road. GMOs are bad, road grime is all natural.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Magres posted:

Emotional Support Animals are a legitimate thing. Just because a critter isn't a seeing eye dog doesn't mean it's a 'frivolous service animal.'
Frivolous service animals have gotten us to the point where "emotional support pig" was in the news just a few weeks ago.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Ardennes posted:

Corporations can take a anti or pro-side if they want, the issue is campaign donations during an election. Btw, if Whole Foods was down here in Oregon putting money into the campaign, it also wouldn't be a good thing.

That said, I think corporations trying to recruit for political causes is not a good thing, but it is during an election when it because more serious.

Whole Foods absolutely put money into the pro-labeling side.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Seattle as a whole gave up on requiring dogs to be service anything for admittance and now you can happily take your normal non-service dog onto the bus or into grocery stores and everyone seems to be okay with it. It's like this huge cultural shift happened overnight and no one even noticed.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Magres posted:

Yeah, but "Emotional Support Animals" do not receive the same allowances as legitimate service animals, like seeing eye dogs. Regarding housing, a certified "Emotional Support Animal" has to be allowed under ADA. Regarding restaurants and businesses, they do not have to be allowed in, whereas actual service animals like seeing eye dogs do.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Irradiation posted:

Whole Foods absolutely put money into the pro-labeling side.

If they did, they did it through a intermediary because I am not seeing them in the campaign finance data and over all YES was outspent almost to two to one. To be clear if the situation was reversed, I would be equally unhappy.

Best Friends posted:

Seattle as a whole gave up on requiring dogs to be service anything for admittance and now you can happily take your normal non-service dog onto the bus or into grocery stores and everyone seems to be okay with it. It's like this huge cultural shift happened overnight and no one even noticed.

At least in Portland there always been a lot of softness on the issue. In addition, I wouldn't be surprised if Whole Foods turned a blind eye to it especially since middle aged/older women with small dogs is a big part of their customer base.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 4, 2014

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Best Friends posted:

Yeah, my favorite is the ones that get to take a poo poo in the aisle at Lowes and the owners walk away from it.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Ardennes, you are jumping between different angles to defend the initiative so wildly I'm not convinced you actually have a real reason. Campaign finance is an interesting topic but people have presented numerous, rational reasons for being anti-label that have nothing to do with being beholden to Monsanto or whatever. If you want to present an argument that people should vote for whatever side gets the least corporate campaign donations, go for it, but it's a poo poo position and has no bearing whatsoever on the particulars of this issue.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Ardennes posted:

If they did, they did it through a intermediary because I am not seeing them in the campaign finance data and over all YES was outspent almost to two to one. To be clear if the situation was reversed, I would be equally unhappy.
Am I misunderstanding the campaign finance data here? edit: I might be, I can't tell if this is the campaign paying for fundraising events at Whole Foods, or Whole Foods donating space to run fundraising events.
https://secure.sos.state.or.us/ores...&employerState=

Also I can't track your stance here. Corporate political spending is ok, but only if money is equally spent on every side of an issue?

twodot fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 4, 2014

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

anthonypants posted:

Frivolous service animals have gotten us to the point where "emotional support pig" was in the news just a few weeks ago.

awww

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

anthonypants posted:

How is this a problem? That's awesome.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yeah, but "Emotional Support Animals" do not receive the same allowances as legitimate service animals, like seeing eye dogs. Regarding housing, a certified "Emotional Support Animal" has to be allowed under ADA. Regarding restaurants and businesses, they do not have to be allowed in, whereas actual service animals like seeing eye dogs do.

I'm fine w/ that, I just objected to calling them frivolous service animals :shrug:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

SedanChair posted:

But you can truck them across the country and they retain their appearance and (lack of) flavor!

Post your #1 secret-squirrel blackberry picking spots

-Burlington Northern land along the Puyallup River

For those who are doing wild picking, make sure the areas you're picking from aren't part of local remediation projects. I spent a year with AmeriCorps/Washington Conservation Corps doing salmon stream restoration, and that involved a great deal of spraying down invasive black berry bushes. I was working in Snohomish county, and it's a fairly common practice. Invasive species are a pain in the rear end, and you can't replace them with native species until they're mostly gone.

anthonypants posted:

The owners tried to keep it in a loving duffel bag and wondered why "it became disruptive". If it's there for a good reason, I would expect it to be treated with more respect than that.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 4, 2014

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

On railroad tracks and blackberries - the railroad drives by once in a while and sprays everything on the sides with herbicides. Sometimes you can see clear "lines of death" through the blackberry bushes and shrubs illustrating this, with green bands showing where the sprayer had a gap. If you absolutely have to pick next to railroad tracks, make sure you wash the holy hell out of them. It only sprays a ways though (20 feet or so?) so if you're a decent distance from the tracks, you're probably good.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah I was thinking of areas by the river a good distance from the tracks. Good to be clear so nobody gets poisoned!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Eggnogium posted:

Ardennes, you are jumping between different angles to defend the initiative so wildly I'm not convinced you actually have a real reason. Campaign finance is an interesting topic but people have presented numerous, rational reasons for being anti-label that have nothing to do with being beholden to Monsanto or whatever. If you want to present an argument that people should vote for whatever side gets the least corporate campaign donations, go for it, but it's a poo poo position and has no bearing whatsoever on the particulars of this issue.

I have been determined on that angle from the beginning, if anything it has been a bunch of strawmen since then. I am not saving you should vote either way actually but that corporation donations to campaign is a fundamental problem that actually is a bigger issue than GMOs and I have also said this repeatedly. Take the money out of the races, limit it to personal donations and I wouldn't have an issue.

But yes, you're just strawmanning away.

Twodot posted:

Am I misunderstanding the campaign finance data here? edit: I might be, I can't tell if this is the campaign paying for fundraising events at Whole Foods, or Whole Foods donating space to run fundraising events.
https://secure.sos.state.or.us/ores...&employerState=

Also I can't track your stance here. Corporate political spending is ok, but only if money is equally spent on every side of an issue?

I made the mistake of looking at the big ticket spending first. Yeah you're right, it is around 35 k or so in total, so yes they did donate but it just was quite small comparison to other donations. Dr.Bronner was over a million in comparison.

Corporate political spending isn't okay period, my point about Monsanto in particular was the degree of their funding. That said, Dow and Pepsi also donated millions and deserve ire as well.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Crater Lake National Park is looking at increasing entrance fees, and they're open to comments for the next couple weeks. Crater Lake owns owns owns and if you haven't been there you should, so I don't give a gently caress how much they want to charge to let people in as long as it keeps the park open.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

anthonypants posted:

Crater Lake National Park is looking at increasing entrance fees, and they're open to comments for the next couple weeks. Crater Lake owns owns owns and if you haven't been there you should, so I don't give a gently caress how much they want to charge to let people in as long as it keeps the park open.

Bumping it from $10 to $25 is a lot though, especially if someone wants to visit for a day. Maybe they should just split the passes into a $10-15 dollar day pass and a $25 dollar 7 day pass?

Crater Lake is awesome though and worth the visit.

geegee
Aug 6, 2005
Looks like it is National Park-wide not just Crater Lake (duh!).

Thirding the sentiments above and would add that the best way to visit is to stay at the lodge. Be aware tho, you have to book rooms ONE YEAR IN ADVANCE. I was shocked - called a month ahead wanting two nights but managed one only because of a cancellation. Popular place.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

geegee posted:

Looks like it is National Park-wide not just Crater Lake (duh!).

Thirding the sentiments above and would add that the best way to visit is to stay at the lodge. Be aware tho, you have to book rooms ONE YEAR IN ADVANCE. I was shocked - called a month ahead wanting two nights but managed one only because of a cancellation. Popular place.

Even if you are there for a day-trip, sitting down and watching the lake from the lodge's balcony is pretty cool. Also, there is a ton of skiing and sights to see in that general area especially the closer you get to Bend. If anything the Willmette Valley is the dull part of Oregon, the coast, the Cascades and the gorge are all really beautiful.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ardennes posted:

Even if you are there for a day-trip, sitting down and watching the lake from the lodge's balcony is pretty cool. Also, there is a ton of skiing and sights to see in that general area especially the closer you get to Bend. If anything the Willmette Valley is the dull part of Oregon, the coast, the Cascades and the gorge are all really beautiful.
Crater Lake is like 100 miles south of Bend, dude.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

anthonypants posted:

Crater Lake is like 100 miles south of Bend, dude.

Once you leave Crater Lake there is a lot of stuff to do between it and Bend. I should have said "Also, there is a ton of skiing and sights to see in that general area as well as the area closer to Bend" to make sure guys like you weren't confused.

Also, in my mind, I see the drive along the Cascades as part of one experience. Btw, Mt.Bachelor is technically SW of Bend.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 6, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Ardennes posted:

Once you leave Crater Lake there is a lot of stuff to do between it and Bend. I should have said "Also, there is a ton of skiing and sights to see in that general area as well as the area closer to Bend" to make sure guys like you weren't confused.

Also, in my mind, I see the drive along the Cascades as part of one experience. You take objection to that?
To be fair "the closer you get to Bend" is "the further away you get from Klamath Falls", but that's still a lot of ground to cover. And if it's winter, and depending on how much snowfall the Cascades have seen, driving along them might be a poor choice.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

anthonypants posted:

To be fair "the closer you get to Bend" is "the further away you get from Klamath Falls", but that's still a lot of ground to cover. And if it's winter, and depending on how much snowfall the Cascades have seen, driving along them might be a poor choice.

Honestly, I think at least early Spring is probably a better time to see that area but that is just my personal take, and it is probably to take a couple days. Spend a day or two at the lake, then drive up to the Bend area or drive from the Bend area down to the lake. I wouldn't drive around obviously if the roads were in snowed in or a storm was in coming, that said it is pretty fun to Ski after a mild storm.

As for the fee, I guess it is connected to past/future budget cuts and the only way to keep the park system going is to up the charges.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Olympia has its own little Ferguson/police murder protest marching downtown, I'm so proud. :3:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Reason posted:

Olympia has its own little Ferguson/police murder protest marching downtown, I'm so proud. :3:

Don't encourage them, you may end up like Seattle which has been destroyed by the hordes of frothing anarchists.

(Actually, the fact that the protest was cancelled because they found out the caroling group gives to the homeless and didn't want to ruin their nights is such a Northwest thing. )

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

I've been noticing a lack of decent sized eq's the last decade. You never know when the next one will hit though, it could be tomorrow or 100 years away. Just don't move into a lahar's likely path and you might survive. Then it's just a matter of reestablishing the roads to keep food, etc flowing.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ardennes posted:

At least in Portland there always been a lot of softness on the issue. In addition, I wouldn't be surprised if Whole Foods turned a blind eye to it especially since middle aged/older women with small dogs is a big part of their customer base.

Once in whole foods a dick employee there told me to leave since I had my dog with me. I always walk him before going in stores but whatever, so I only go back there a couple times a year for special beers.

Dogs are cool, just have the owner clean up if a mess happens.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

effectual posted:

Once in whole foods a dick employee there told me to leave since I had my dog with me. I always walk him before going in stores but whatever, so I only go back there a couple times a year for special beers.

Some people are allergic to dogs, or some folks (like muslims) have religious issues with them. It's kind of a jerk thing to take one in a supermarket IMHO.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

Some people are allergic to dogs, or some folks (like muslims) have religious issues with them. It's kind of a jerk thing to take one in a supermarket IMHO.

Absolutely. Anywhere that serves food. When I worked at Best Buy we didn't give a poo poo about animals, but don't bring them into grocery stores or restaurants. The staff has no proof your dog doesn't have fleas, a mean temperament, or a host of issues.

People here (NW WA) are generally not going to confront you, so it's your responsibility to not be an rear end in a top hat.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

effectual posted:

what the gently caress kind of idiot (assuming you're not blind) takes a dog into a drat grocery store

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

what the gently caress kind of idiot (assuming you're not blind) takes a dog into a drat grocery store

A lot of them, older women with small dogs is a big contingent and maniac with a pitbull is a close second.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The same sort of people who will make it their life's work to destroy you if you don't let them

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

And if you are blind, wouldn't it be way easier to have someone else do your shopping for you?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
There are other kinds of disabilities that a service dog can be necessary for besides blindness.

Also, gently caress you. Pitbulls make better working dogs than labs, retrievers, german shepards, etc.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Error 404 posted:

Also, gently caress you. Pitbulls make better working dogs than labs, retrievers, german shepards, etc.

They are great at assaulting random pedestrians. Good work if you can get it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Error 404 posted:

There are other kinds of disabilities that a service dog can be necessary for besides blindness.

Even if a normal person takes a normal pitbull into a grocery store, every soccer mom in there is going to shriek at the store manager/corporate office/news station in range until her children go deaf.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
its best just to not have animals

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ardennes posted:

They are great at assaulting random pedestrians. Good work if you can get it.

Nope, but thanks for playing.
I am talking about trained service animals, not the poor animal your trailer trash uncle-loving cousin keeps on a chain to look tough.

Pitbulls as a breed have a lower human aggression than any of the other breeds I mentioned above. They are smart, take very well to training, and tend toward much more even temperaments.

They do have a higher animal aggression on average, but that can be ameliorated with training on the part of both owner and animal.

I work with dogs every loving day, pitbulls aren't even my top 10 for dogs I'm wary of handling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Ernie Muppari posted:

its best just to not have animals

including humans

• Locked thread