Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Looper posted:

Heath's pretty cool, I dig his 80s glam rock hair

Heath is actually really good on HHM. He really appreciates the enemy unit stat buffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The only time I've used Heath was on a HHM Thunder Affinity run, and he was solid but not spectacular by the point I got him due to being so far behind the rest of my team. The enemy stat buffs definitely do help him, though.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Are cavaliers in Awakening actually any good? I have basically never used them in any run I've done, especially with Sully and what's his name being so lame on and off the field.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Probably. Second only to fliers I would assume. Well... really it all depends on how your grading it. LTC? casual play?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Are cavaliers in Awakening actually any good? I have basically never used them in any run I've done, especially with Sully and what's his name being so lame on and off the field.

Awakening is easy on everything below lunatic, so all classes are good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Paladins are great, a lot of people can be one and there's not much downsides to it. Great movement, good stats all around, swords and lances. Can't think of anything that's better than a Paladin in Awakening, other than in Apotheosis.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So I'm going to show off some maps I think I've shown off in the past

This is the new chapter 5, it takes place in Thria, which is the place where Chapter 6 takes place in the castle! I figured "You know, nothing actually happens in Chapter 5 besides Saul revealing that Guinevere has the Fire Emblem (in a chapter entitled 'The Fire Emblem') and you fight a bunch of random bandits in essentially filler so... since it wasn't important, I moved the location to Thria, to better flow into Chapter 6 from Chapter 4.

The short story is that after defeating Erik, Roy decides to head to Thria because Lord Orun is Hectors half brother. If Hector is alive it makes sense to go to living family, and if he's dead, it's still smart to go to what would be 'friendly' territory.

However Thria is under assault by 'Bandits' and Roy's Remnants must fight against them to liberate the castle and speak to Lord Orun, also, Dorothy and Saul have tracked them to Thria, but are acosted by the 'Bandits'

Why the quotes? because it's Bern's army in truth. It's not flat out stated, but they have no 'Bandit' or 'Thief' units and after an amount of turns, a Dracoknight will spawn from that topmost fort. If he does (I.E. enough turns have passed) Roy will directly comment on the oddity of it, and say that the whole situation feels wrong.

This is the first chapter of the new "Lycia Counterattack" arc or whatever you want to call it. The short version is Bern and Etruria double gently caress Lycia while Roy's out when the Coup happens. This map takes place in...

Worde I believe. Since you're heading from Nabata through to Lycia past the mountain range that's guarded by Etruria. It uses the Sacae palette because I figured that geographically due to the closeness to the arid desert area, the grass would be much lighter than the rest of Lycia. Regardless.

The top of the map has Eliwood on the Throne, and Hector and Erik if you recruited them (yes, all three on 1 chapter) it's a defense chapter where you must hold the throne. Most of your army starts at the very bottom, outside the gate, and around 4-6 units start inside the gates, where the main army is (The map is very small all things considered, I believe it was a case of idea not necessarily matching planned map) You must take the center gate house, to let your army in and let you link up with the throne, you have about... 4-5 turns to do so. The reason for this is because after that, the enemy reinforcements swing in to pincer YOU. So you have to move to a defensive position and then the horde comes in after you.

It's not a map designed to be that hard, since it's the start of a new arc, and I like to ease people in to new arcs. Also because I had this map made like 2 years ago and had many odd thoughts back then.

So, that's two of the maps that are new to my hack.

Oh yes, the Lycia 2 Arc goes from Worde to Ryerde to Tania to Tuscana. So covering the 4 areas not covered in any of games, and two of them only covered by a Manga that features such wonderful additions as Hartmuts secret half-dragon descendant.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 6, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Oh man, I remember that manga. "Cover the events of FE6 from the perspective of a regular soldier in Roy's army" was such a great idea they had to gently caress it up by making that regular soldier the most special snowflake of all.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Awakening cavs have pretty great pairup bonuses, and Sully/Stahl aren't anywhere near being bad units. Maybe Lunatic Stahl, since 6 base speed and all, but that's more Lunatic being dumb than him being awful or anything.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Cavaliers are great for basically just being Pair-Up fodder because they (well, Paladins) have great pair up bonuses.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Cavaliers are the worst because they're like queens in chess except you have like five of them

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Is the upcoming-ish 1.0 release going to encompass all the gameplay changes you plan to make? This all looks really cool and I'll want to play it when it comes out, but I'm probably not gonna want to play it a second time in 1.1 or whatever.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Onmi posted:

--
Why the quotes? because it's Bern's army in truth. It's not flat out stated, but they have no 'Bandit' or 'Thief' units and after an amount of turns, a Dracoknight will spawn from that topmost fort. If he does (I.E. enough turns have passed) Roy will directly comment on the oddity of it, and say that the whole situation feels wrong.
--
I really am looking forward to playing your hack.

So, is this Dracoknight meant to be defeatable? Because I should warn you that I'm an obstinate bastard, and that if it's at all possible to kill the Dracoknight, I will do it.:colbert:

E:

Last Celebration posted:

Awakening cavs have pretty great pairup bonuses, and Sully/Stahl aren't anywhere near being bad units. Maybe Lunatic Stahl, since 6 base speed and all, but that's more Lunatic being dumb than him being awful or anything.
Yeah, Stahl's a bit too slow on Lunatic to be useful. I really wish Awakening had the old "Maniac" difficulty between Hard and Lunatic, since I'd like a difficulty that's challenging but not "oh God everyone dies in two hits".

fade5 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 6, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

fade5 posted:

I really am looking forward to playing your hack.

So, is this Dracoknight meant to be defeatable? Because I should warn you that I'm an obstinate bastard, and that if it's at all possible to kill the Dracoknight, I will do it.:colbert:

If there is one thing that I have learned from Awful Emblem, it's that people will try to kill something, no matter how obstinate it is. But yes, he's just an enemy reinforcement you can kill.

cheetah7071 posted:

Is the upcoming-ish 1.0 release going to encompass all the gameplay changes you plan to make? This all looks really cool and I'll want to play it when it comes out, but I'm probably not gonna want to play it a second time in 1.1 or whatever.

1.0 will encompass all gameplay changes. But further editions will change the plot. So if you're goal is "I want to play FE6, as close to vanilla as possible, with all these rad gameplay changes" then 1.0 is for you. If you feel like you're interested in everything being together in a cohesive narrative, then that will be avaliable too.

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh man, I remember that manga. "Cover the events of FE6 from the perspective of a regular soldier in Roy's army" was such a great idea they had to gently caress it up by making that regular soldier the most special snowflake of all.

Yeah people kept asking me "Are you going to include the Manga cast?" and it was simply, "No, the only redeeming part of that manga was Zephiel." The whole thing is just poorly written as hell and they literally skip getting Durandal and give Zephiel the Sword of Seals JUST so Al can be the only one with a special sword on the protagonists side.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

So how exactly do supports work in FE7? what do i need to do to make them trigger?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

So how exactly do supports work in FE7? what do i need to do to make them trigger?

put two people next to each other, end turn a lot

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

mabels big day posted:

Cake Attack posted:

put two people next to each other, end turn a lot

Standard deal where only certain pairs can support each other as well. The game gives you a person who can check those match ups eventually. You need to be in Eliwood or Hector mode to do it at all.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

With regards to Hector, Lyn, and Eliwood, at what chapter will they upgrade? Do they just get an item, or is it story-related? Basically when should I have them be level 20

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Onmi posted:

The whole thing is just poorly written as hell and they literally skip getting Durandal and give Zephiel the Sword of Seals JUST so Al can be the only one with a special sword on the protagonists side.

What?? But that's supposed to be like, the only thing that makes Roy useful in combat. That sounds really bizarre.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no matter how much you hold them back they'll be level 20 long before they promote

lyn always uses a promotion item, your main lord is a plot promotion, and the third lord is another promotion item

so in eliwood's mode hector and lyn use items and eliwood is plot

you get the promotion items pretty late though, and the plot promotion is like 4 maps before the end of the game

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

mabels big day posted:

With regards to Hector, Lyn, and Eliwood, at what chapter will they upgrade? Do they just get an item, or is it story-related? Basically when should I have them be level 20

Lyn and Hector promote with the Heaven Seals, you get two. Eli promotes after the chapter "Cog of Destiny" or some poo poo, which is pretty late in the game and after you've already gotten both Seals. Unless you're intentionally keeping him out of combat, Eli's gonna easily be lvl 20 by that time.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

mabels big day posted:

lyn and hector get items, eliwood's is plot

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

mabels big day posted:

In Awakening terms, every time two compatible characters end a turn adjacent to each other, they get a few support points. It takes most pairs at least 100 turns to reach rank A, so just hang around spamming End Turn at the end of a capture map or something. After reaching the necessary threshold, you can pick Support on the battlefield while they're adjacent. A given pair can only support with each other once per chapter, so it would take a minimum of three chapters to get them to rank A together; however, a single character can support with multiple different characters in a single chapter.

Each character can support only five times. That means a character can have one A support and one B, or one A and two Cs, or two Bs and one C, or five Cs, or any combination of those. B has twice as much effect as C and A has three times as much, and the stats affected are dependent on the elemental affinity of both characters; each character gets the bonus for both their own element and their partner's. The bonus is applied whenever they are standing within three squares of each other. There is no notification of this effect.

Pent and Louise are a special case, because they start off already at rank A with each other. The conversations themselves for those characters have some special requirements to unlock (and therefore to appear in the support log, which unlocks after you've beaten Eliwood mode once).

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Lyn and Hector promote with the Heaven Seals, you get two. Eli promotes after the chapter "Cog of Destiny" or some poo poo, which is pretty late in the game and after you've already gotten both Seals. Unless you're intentionally keeping him out of combat, Eli's gonna easily be lvl 20 by that time.

Cool, I'll keep them out of the fray for a while because they are at around level 12 each on chapter 17.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In Eliwood mode, you get the first Heaven Seal (Lord promotion item) in chapter 24, the second one in chapter 26, and then Eliwood promotes at the end of chapter 27. For reference, the last chapter would be numbered 31. I'm pretty sure.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
You should use your lords anyway because one of the "branch" missions is determined by their cumulative level and the high level one is way better. The other mission of this type congress comes later and is based on melee class levels versus magic levels. I say branch, but each set is just one mutually exclusive mission each

edit, phone posting is hard

Looper fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 7, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The map that changes dependent on your lord's levels is chapter 23 in Eliwood's campaign, and the cut off is whether their combined level is above or below 50.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You have to be pretty deliberately not using one of your lords to get the bad version of that map, tbh. Which is fine and all, since Lyn and Eliwood kind of suck, but you really do want the 50+ map.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Below 50 is definitely one of the worst maps in the game, but if you haven't played it yourself you should at least try it out once. His lord combined level is around 36, so there's still time to decide which to go with.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Momomo posted:

What?? But that's supposed to be like, the only thing that makes Roy useful in combat. That sounds really bizarre.

Again, the manga stars the lovechild of Hartmut and a dragon. Not even his descendant, literally his kid. Who literally has a super saiyan half dragon form. Oh yeah and the manga ends and Zephiel and doesn't bother to explain the Idounn situation at all. It's really official fanfiction. I remember when FE6 was being LPed some people talked about it like it was a good thing and... No. Hasha No Tsurugi is a bad manga.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Sounds like the Drakengard 2 of Fire Emblem. Roy's Awakening design suddenly seems more relevant now.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
It should be noted that the below 50 map is the only way in the game you can get Wallace again, who is the only other knight aside from Oswin.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The way you get supports in this game is stupid so I just looked them up and read them for the characters that I like, and they are good.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Doesn't Fire Emblem 4 have like 2-3 manga? Are any of them any good?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

mabels big day posted:

The way you get supports in this game is stupid so I just looked them up and read them for the characters that I like, and they are good.

That reminds me, FE6 has a support point cap total per chapter. we've nuked that so theoretically you can get Alan and Lance to an A support in chapter 1. We can't institute it into FE6 so it's only 1 support per pair per chapter so... everyones on the honor system.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

yeah, but one's a joke thing without translations

the serious one is a decent read if you're a fan, it's pretty melodramatic but fun enough

translations stopped (or the manga got cancelled, dunno) near the end of the first gen though

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

To be fair there's also another FE6 manga, and there's an FE7 novel that explains why Ninian is dead by FE6. Because the air is killing her!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Onmi posted:

To be fair there's also another FE6 manga, and there's an FE7 novel that explains why Ninian is dead by FE6. Because the air is killing her!

Wait, what? Why does that need explained? Doesn't she gently caress off back to dragon land with nils excepting an eliwood a rank?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

Wait, what? Why does that need explained? Doesn't she gently caress off back to dragon land with nils excepting an eliwood a rank?

Because the novel took the A rank as Canon. Also because Roy is motherless in FE6 so you gotta explain where each of his mothers went somewhere.

In order I leave dying by loving Air for Ninian because I don't care for her at all, Fiora died in a tragedy involving Ilia. Long story. Lyn left him because she was always made to feel like an outsider and abused by people.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well, it worked for War of the Worlds. :v: They probably could have just not addressed it at all and nobody would have cared.