Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

DrPaper posted:

Why do you hate Geoff Keighley fellow gamer?

Everything he says annoys me to some degree and he has this smug persona about him as if he drank a 2 liter of Mountain Dew just to get the courage to ask a question. I get that he's a journalist, but drat if this dude doesn't fit the stereotypical bro gamer persona like a glove. That and Geoff doesn't even look like Jeff, but for some reason we pronounce them the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Everything he says annoys me to some degree and he has this smug persona about him as if he drank a 2 liter of Mountain Dew just to get the courage to ask a question. I get that he's a journalist, but drat if this dude doesn't fit the stereotypical bro gamer persona like a glove. That and Geoff doesn't even look like Jeff, but for some reason we pronounce them the same.

He doesn't fit that persona at all.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

Do you even know what words mean?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

noirstronaut is a well established fool with a wealth of bad opinions

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

And what's the deal with long cat, why is he so long?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

mabels big day posted:

He doesn't fit that persona at all.

ok

Dude is just a brogamer who wears a suit sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgoRw37ktUA

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

STOP loving TROLLING THIS INSTANT

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You think you can get away with trolling because its indistinguishable from your usual posting? Well you can't, rear end in a top hat.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

ok

Dude is just a brogamer who wears a suit sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgoRw37ktUA

Yeah, I figured your basis for this was the epic dorito pope meme.

I'm surprised you'd link that video though, because that shows why he's pretty good.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Geoff Keighley doesn't strike me as a "bro gamer", just a shill and douche when it comes to anything not "hardcore". Kind of like a Screwattack personality or something.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
some fairly epic noirstronaut posting goin on here

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wii U General Discussion: Captain Toad Captain Toad Captain Toad

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

enojy posted:

I think that one is buried around the middle of tthe ground floor. There's no visual cues, but your controller will vibrate when you're near it.

Oh. Well that's hard to figure out when rumble is turned off! :mad:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Ah yes educate us on memes we surely are ignorant of.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

So they keep saying that if Mario Maker is successful, they'll think about making it into a series.

I sort of hope they are talking about making the Maker part a series, because I don't see a whole lot you could do with the concept using Mario again that you can't already do with the current one, but i'd be pretty drat interested in the likes of a Zelda Maker or a Metroid Maker.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Augh I need to check out Miiverse more often

pokeyman posted:

Oh. Well that's hard to figure out when rumble is turned off! :mad:

I was wrong, someone else mentioned that it's actually a translucent plant that you pick out of the ground, that shows up in the same manner as the invisible coins.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Crawfish posted:

So they keep saying that if Mario Maker is successful, they'll think about making it into a series.

I sort of hope they are talking about making the Maker part a series, because I don't see a whole lot you could do with the concept using Mario again that you can't already do with the current one, but i'd be pretty drat interested in the likes of a Zelda Maker or a Metroid Maker.

Mario Maker is very feature-bare. Even the most rudimentary of ROM hack editing tools have more features and functionality with it, so I would rather see it develop meaningfully on the Mario side before going to other games.

Zelda maker would be insanely sweet though.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You think you can get away with trolling because its indistinguishable from your usual posting? Well you can't, rear end in a top hat.

Ya got me, cop.

I don't care for Geoff, honestly, but I do hate his name.

Also, does anyone know what "enables" the post game in Treasure Tracker? Is it just beating the game or is it getting every diamond, or doing all the subtasks?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DrPaper posted:

Zelda maker would be insanely sweet though.

That was the best part of Zelda Classic. I probably hosed around with that thing more than I played Zelda 1 at all.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

In case you didn't notice, those levels are all levels that originally featured Captain Toad as an NPC and the end goal tends to be at the same spot you'd find him at in 3D World, which is a neat little touch, but it does mean you don't even see a lot of the original stage sometimes, yeah.
As cool of a touch as this is, I couldn't help but feel that there were some better levels from 3D World that Captain Toad could have explored, especially the ones like the circus level in the first world (1-5, "Switch Scramble Circus," as it's called).

I'm gonna' type a bunch of stuff about Captain Toad so watch out: I just beat Captain Toad. I was expecting a fairly short game, but 6 hours is even shorter than I expected. It's certainly not as bad as some other games (I was stunned when I learned that Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty was actually sold as a retail game, even at a cut price), but it's still really light. Even still, it was good enough that my wallet's not feelin' it, and it's uncommon that I enjoy a game so much to power through 6 hours (plus 45 minutes or so in bonus content/replaying) in a single day, even if those play periods were separated. The level of charm and variety is absolutely off the charts, and the only issues I have with the game were its length, its reuse of multiple melodies from 3D Land/World, and those stunning 3D environments that were nothing more than hallways and really really really made me wish for a platformer from Nintendo that actually looked like that come on guys please. I had some light control issues and some slightly awkward camera flubs, but there was never anything that was enough to make me put the game down for the day.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Ultigonio posted:

(I was stunned when I learned that Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty was actually sold as a retail game, even at a cut price)

They only sold it as retail in europe I think. Besides they eventually made it free with Into the Nexus (at least in the US). I imagine that pissed off people who bought the loving game.

Anyway, sort of disappointing (yet expected) that Captain is so short. I wouldn't be surprised if they got some DLC out later going by MK8 and Hyrule Warriors. Sort of glad I didn't jump on it yet but I can't deny its charm.

RMZXAnarchy fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 6, 2014

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

DrPaper posted:

I guess Geoff rightfully ribbing them over their "big Wii U announcement" last year just being cranky kong really took to heart.

Tropical Freeze is pretty much perfect so Geoff can eat 100 butts imo

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It really should be mentioned that it's a fantastic idea to buy a lan adapter. I was getting 250kb/s down (go to the internet browser, testmy.net), no wonder I was having problems with lag. I picked up a lan adapter today and have been enjoying many a loss with no lag since.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I really wish I could play a demo of Treasure Tracker. I'm sitting on the line of "totally worth $40 due to its cuteness" and "maybe not worth $40"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

noirstronaut posted:

I really wish I could play a demo of Treasure Tracker. I'm sitting on the line of "totally worth $40 due to its cuteness" and "maybe not worth $40"
You already have it, its hidden inside Super Mario 3D World. See if you can find it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

homeless snail posted:

You already have it, its hidden inside Super Mario 3D World. See if you can find it.

Those levels are essentially 10 piece puzzles compared to a 100 piece puzzle.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I had to take a break to savor more toad. So far, only one "hard" level. Stupid raft level. I always end up getting hit while trying to get the last gem and end up missing both. :/

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

So it looks like the new Zelda is ditching motion controlled sword combat. Not sure how to feel about that.

I'm one of those strange people who fell in love with the 3d titles, whereas the 2d "classic" zeldas have never truly clicked for me.

On the recommendations of this thread I picked up Skyword Sword, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Still burning my way through the 3D Marios - replayed mario 64, played 3d Land and Luigi's Mansion for the first time, and just about to start playing Sunshine for the first time since it came out.

Maybe I'll be more amenable to the wonky motion controlled stuff in Skyword Sword. Maybe.

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
Being in the UK, I loving hate every one of you that has Captain Toad. We don't get it for another month :bang:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

dirtyfrog posted:

Being in the UK, I loving hate every one of you that has Captain Toad. We don't get it for another month :bang:

It's okay, you guys are apparently the only ones who get collectors editions of anything anymore.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jsor posted:

It's okay, you guys are apparently the only ones who get collectors editions of anything anymore.

What if I want games and not expensive boxes full of useless stuff?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

noirstronaut posted:

I would absolutely recommend this game to myself. I would refrain from recommending it to anyone else.

It's still going on the Recommended Games list.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How the hell did you power through in just 6 hours. I've played about 2.5 hours at this point and gone through 16 levels(all three gems and the checkmark) and I know there's at least 74 levels before bonus content. That maps out to like, 10 hours before the bonus stuff.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Ultigonio posted:

I would absolutely recommend this game to myself. I would refrain from recommending it to anyone else.

It's still going on the Recommended Games list.

What...does this mean

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

noirstronaut posted:

What...does this mean
Simply, I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever for spending forty bucks on Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker. Despite that, I could easily see that many people would play the game, finish it, and end up with a hurting wallet. I'd prefer that people appreciate the game for what it is without feeling like they wasted money, which leads me to recommend that people play the game (thus, why it's going on the Recommended Games list), but not for $40 (which is why I wouldn't recommend it to anyone right now).

greatn posted:

How the hell did you power through in just 6 hours. I've played about 2.5 hours at this point and gone through 16 levels(all three gems and the checkmark) and I know there's at least 74 levels before bonus content. That maps out to like, 10 hours before the bonus stuff.
I treated gems as required, but mostly considered the challenges "optional." In addition, the actual number of main-game levels is 10 less than that. There may be more unique levels as the reward for completing every challenge, but I'm kind of doubting it.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 6, 2014

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah there are more unique levels, or remixed versions similar to in Super Mario 3D land, for doing the challenges.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

That Zelda video really didn't give me a good feeling. They were going on about how huge the game world is as if that's a good thing all by itself. Almost the whole video was just travel time, it may as well have been Wind Waker's ocean all over again. I'd rather have a smaller, denser world than have "still another five minutes until we get to a place where there's something to do"

I'm just worried because people keep saying "open world!" and I've never been able to get more than a couple hours into anything like Elder Scrolls or Fallout 3 before quitting out of boredom, so I guess I'm missing something that a lot of other people eat up for some reason. :shrug:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It would be sort of hilarious if the majority end up thinking ALBW is superior to Open World U, while using a fraction of the latter's budget. Next Zelda after that would likely go back to "its roots" again and probably be a feat of formulaic design because it's safer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Suaimhneas posted:

That Zelda video really didn't give me a good feeling. They were going on about how huge the game world is as if that's a good thing all by itself. Almost the whole video was just travel time, it may as well have been Wind Waker's ocean all over again. I'd rather have a smaller, denser world than have "still another five minutes until we get to a place where there's something to do"

I'm just worried because people keep saying "open world!" and I've never been able to get more than a couple hours into anything like Elder Scrolls or Fallout 3 before quitting out of boredom, so I guess I'm missing something that a lot of other people eat up for some reason. :shrug:

Keep in mind this game still has tons of dev time left. I mean, even in Wind Waker, there was an island in every square on the map, with enemies and treasure and pirate ships all throughout. They have tons of time to fill the world witht cool things once it's totally done.

• Locked thread