Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

Oh, ok. It's not like I run the company either, but my guess is we didn't expect it not to work out when we started on it,

I don't want this to sound mean, but that's kind of a meaningless statement. Of course you don't start a project expecting it to turn out crappy.

Darkrenown posted:

and the needed art and content takes time make too. Our art team is pretty small, so it all has to start up at the same time and progress along with the core features - plus they had to learn or get used to new systems, as the art assets for Runemaster are quite different from our regular stuff. You also need things to look decent, at least in places, for showing it off during production - especially when it's a different type of product than what you're known for making.

Ah, there's the rub. I suppose with a team structure like that, you wind up in a dilemma: do you potentially waste thousands of dollars on art assets that will never be in a released game, or do you definitely inflate the game's budget by paying people to sit on a finished game while the art team does their thing? A small studio doesn't want to risk effort going nowhere, but it can't be assumed that loss-prevention strategies would be cost-free, so in the long run it could actually be smarter to take an occasional bruise if it means you can run a tighter ship when things are going well. At least, I assume that's what the thought process was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Hell wargame: ww2 would be fun as gently caress.

RUSE was a thing.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Westminster System posted:

Paradox have said they'd like to do a 4x Space game or something similar, or at least Johan did if I remember correctly, they just can't figure out how they want to do it.

But theres always Crisis of the Confederation!

Paradox should do a modern game inspired by Alien Legacy wherein you show up in a solar system with a seedship, a few thousand people in cold storage and a randomized (or handcrafted) planetary system. Your goal would be to colonize the system and set up a bunch of installations and research bases and the general goal would be to reach some kind of development index. The first few years would focus on survival as you set up food supplies and fuel, as well as build production bases to maintain your seedship. The ship itself would be customized before the game starts, sort of like Civ: Beyond Earth. As the game progresses you could turn your seedship into an orbital factory or use it as a kind of voyager nomad that travels around the systems installations and picks up metals and fuel or remove its engines and put it in permanent orbit around a planet.

It would be nice if the game was completely open ended and you could end up doing different things every playthrough, you might commit to a habitable planet and land all your resources there, or spread out and colonize the whole system. Maybe focus on building more seedships or send a message home that you found an earth like planet and need more colonists.

Ideally I think this idea would work best if there wasn't a habitable planet to colonize, thus forcing the space colonization theme.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

FreudianSlippers posted:

A Paradox game focused on the Third World in the mid 20th century where you would play as a leader of a country recently independent from some European power and have to try to get your country in order while dealing with foreign powers trying to influence or depose you would be neat.

Probably wouldn't sell very well since more people want to be William the Conqueror or Saladin than Patrice Lumumba or Idi Amin.
So, Finland? Austria? Ohhh, Ireland?

(It just bugs me)

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Morholt posted:

(It just bugs me)

bepp boop what does colloquial mean???

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
The point was of course not that these countries would be a part of such a game but rather to point out that it is an imperialistic term.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Morholt posted:

The point was of course not that these countries would be a part of such a game but rather to point out that it is an imperialistic term.

The new preferred lingo is "developing countries".

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Morholt posted:

it is an imperialistic term.

No, it's not. The term is a Cold War relic:

First World: The Free World (W. Europe, NATO, etc)
Second World: Commie Bastards
Third World: Everyone else

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

StashAugustine posted:

RUSE was a thing.

But not really the same thing at all.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Ahh! But there is such a game!

:v:

But you can be first or second world in that game as well!

Personally, I'd like a third world simulator because Real Lives always lacked the possibility to become a dictator.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

DStecks posted:

I don't want this to sound mean, but that's kind of a meaningless statement. Of course you don't start a project expecting it to turn out crappy.

Of course not, but you were wondering why we didn't instead make a gameplay prototype before starting on the art and I'm pointing out that we had to start the whole project at the same time with the assumption that it would work out rather than making a barebones proof of concept first.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Darkrenown posted:

Of course not, but you were wondering why we didn't instead make a gameplay prototype before starting on the art and I'm pointing out that we had to start the whole project at the same time with the assumption that it would work out rather than making a barebones proof of concept first.

Well, you know what they say about assumptions :v:

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

Smoremaster posted:

Well, you know what they say about assumptions :v:

Artists, designers, animators, modelers, riggers, writers, scripters, testers... these people all get paid. Every day. If you're given a choice between employing your programmers to put together a game prototype while simultaneously employing your artists to put together art assets, or employing your programmers to put together a game prototype while simultaneously paying your artists to sit on their hands, it's a no-brainer.

You could argue that maybe the artists should just crank out a billion portrait packs for EU4 to ensure that their effort is never wasted. But if you want this other product to have the best fighting chance it's got, then probably the best average rate of return is to gamble the artists on it too.

People are the most expensive part of any software enterprise. Companies could switch to a part-time/commission/contract model and avoid this, but that would just dislocate the instability of the process to employees, who are the least able to absorb those kinds of shocks.

Paradox swung, swung earnestly, and missed. I'm sure they have many more swings in them, and I've enjoyed many of their hits, even though I'm certain that for every one of those, they put their art teams into production concurrently with their development team, rather than waiting for a complete prototype.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

The level of betrayal I felt when Paradox was unable to release their new RPG...

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Drone posted:

The level of betrayal I felt when Paradox was unable to release their new RPG...

Paradox has assassinated... my heart :smith:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Drone posted:

At least they are releasing pillars of eternity :unsmith:

Hey, why don't they ask obsidian to finish it?

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

Panzeh posted:

But not really the same thing at all.

No, it was much better but it wasn't spergy enough so it won't get a sequel :(

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Riso posted:

No, it's not. The term is a Cold War relic:

First World: The Free World (W. Europe, NATO, etc)
Second World: Commie Bastards
Third World: Everyone else

No trust me referring to half the planet as a third world as though they are separate and different from the rest of the world isn't imperialist or racist at all what are you talking about?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It really isn't, it's about their political-ideological position in regards to the western and eastern bloc.

Austria and Sweden were third world countries. It doesn't have anything to do with quality of life, imperalism or racism.

Now the way the term is used by most people is a different story.

Morholt posted:

(It just bugs me)
Since when does China count as second world? What the hell is Angola and Mozambique, fresh off their anti-colonialist struggle against NATO-members, doing in the first world?

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Sampatrick posted:

No trust me referring to half the planet as a third world as though they are separate and different from the rest of the world isn't imperialist or racist at all what are you talking about?

Yeah, I know, right? Since they have exact same level of infrastructural development and social progress, why would ever need terms to identify African or middle-eastern nations as being different from countries in Western Europe or North America? I can't think of a single fact that would indicate that someone living in Afghanistan or Somalia does not share the same quality of life as a financially stable upper middle class citizen in Northeastern America.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 5, 2014

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Mans posted:

It really isn't, it's about their political-ideological position in regards to the western and eastern bloc.

Austria and Sweden were third world countries. It doesn't have anything to do with quality of life, imperalism or racism.

Since when does China count as second world? What the hell is Angola and Mozambique, fresh off their anti-colonialist struggle against NATO-members, doing in the first world?

This map ends in August 1975, and Angola won its independence in November 1975. Mozambique won its independence in September. So, bloody wars of independence were raging in both countries and this map clearly indicates only that the colonial overlords of those countries were in the First World. I think the map was chosen to try to highlight the First World at its greatest extent. A map that happened later in the Cold War would see a lot more red in Africa.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
What I would like to see would be a game that would take the ideas of CK and turn it into a game about crime families, with you trying to advance certain types of criminal enterprises while ensuring your crime family doesn't die out due to other families, or different national governments. Also make it an option for the player to take over third world governments if they accumulate enough power.

Also if they ever do vicky 3 they need to have a much more complex trade system in place beyond protectionism and free trade, maybe 4 different policies, Autarky, Protectionism, Mercantilism, and free trade. Also some sort of immigration system that would better reflect the xenophobia at the time at people from certain parts of the world, and they need different classes of ships in the whole naval area to reflect the emergence of stuff like Torpedo boats and submarines.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 5, 2014

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

A Paradox game focused on the Third World in the mid 20th century where you would play as a leader of a country recently independent from some European power and have to try to get your country in order while dealing with foreign powers trying to influence or depose you would be neat.

Probably wouldn't sell very well since more people want to be William the Conqueror or Saladin than Patrice Lumumba or Idi Amin.

There's an old DOS game called Hidden Agenda that's pretty much exactly this. It always goes to poo poo in practice; if you try to align with the US you almost have to go Maximum Hitler, and if you try to go neutral or align with the Soviets the US funds hard-right death squads who go around blowing up all the poo poo you're trying to build. I did manage to do fairly well in one game by going extreme left on domestic policy and extremely pro-US on foreign policy. The US hated me because I nationalized a bunch of land and poo poo like that but stopped just short of actively trying to overthrow me because I did their bidding on the international stage; the leftists in my own country were pissed that I was an imperialist stooge but were happy about me expropriating all the aristocrats and giving their land to the peasants. I still had rightist death squads but they were easier to deal with without CIA backing.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 6, 2014

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Crowsbeak posted:

What I would like to see would be a game that would take the ideas of CK and turn it into a game about crime families, with you trying to advance certain types of criminal enterprises while ensuring your crime family doesn't die out due to other families, or different national governments. Also make it an option for the player to take over third world governments if they accumulate enough power.

A cross between Gangsters: Organized Crime and CK2 would be pretty much perfect.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

No, it was much better but it wasn't spergy enough so it won't get a sequel :(

For what it's worth, I liked how abstract it was. The problem is that it wasn't really solid as an RTS, and the unit control was extremely finicky. Game balance was bleh and the only ruses that got used were the ones with direct gameplay effects.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A remake of Hidden Agenda that has a "you can actually pull a non-depressing win out of this" difficulty level would be pretty sweet.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I've been slowly working on a Cold War turn based strategy game. It's heavily inspired by the ancient game Balance of Power. I posted about it back in the Spring but couldn't work on it for a long time, but I've gotten back to it recently and have made a ton of progress.

Here are a few screenshots! (pretend it's not 1999 :blush:)

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I've been slowly working on a Cold War turn based strategy game. It's heavily inspired by the ancient game Balance of Power. I posted about it back in the Spring but couldn't work on it for a long time, but I've gotten back to it recently and have made a ton of progress.

Neat! What are you building it in? Is the engine hand-made?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Dibujante posted:

People are the most expensive part of any software enterprise. Companies could switch to a part-time/commission/contract model and avoid this, but that would just dislocate the instability of the process to employees, who are the least able to absorb those kinds of shocks.

Frankly, it's long, long past time that the games industry adopted the Hollywood project model for making games. Keeping staff on hand at all times will lead to wasted money no matter what. But that would require unionizing, so good luck with that in an industry dominated by upper-middle-class to wealthy white male STEM majors (who statistically skew libertarian). :v:

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Two words, Dirigible Kings

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

VerdantSquire posted:

Yeah, I know, right? Since they have exact same level of infrastructural development and social progress, why would ever need terms to identify African or middle-eastern nations as being different from countries in Western Europe or North America? I can't think of a single fact that would indicate that someone living in Afghanistan or Somalia does not share the same quality of life as a financially stable upper middle class citizen in Northeastern America.

This is why you use the term, "developing countries." Also your entire argument of there being such a thing as social progress, and placing infrastructural development as a key marking of how developed a country is, is patronizing on the one hand, and imperialist garbage on the other hand. Like I'm not trying to say that poo poo is good for Afghanis and Somlians, but there is no objective metric for determining how developed a country is, so just say developing countries so you can avoid the unfortunate racist/imperialist implications from the term third world.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

This looks cool! Now it's really making me want a modern remake of Shadow President, though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah those screenshots remind me of Shadow President more than anything else. Really all they need to do is spiffy up the controls and interface a little and it'd still be an eminently playable game.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

can you explain your design more in depth for this game

because i really want it

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah those screenshots remind me of Shadow President more than anything else. Really all they need to do is spiffy up the controls and interface a little and it'd still be an eminently playable game.

And have speed settings. I'd play the gently caress out of Shadow President if days didn't crawl the gently caress by.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

If you ever intend on releasing it as a commercial product, copyrighted images for leaders are a pain to deal with.
I had to scour lots of internets for public domain images of leaders for East vs West, so if you need help there, hit me up! Or ask in the game making thread, I lurk there a lot too.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Mans posted:

That's right.
The label was created by a Frenchman comparing the state of the world to the pre-revolutionary Estates of France.

First Estate: Nobles
Second Estate: Clergy
Third Estate: Everyone else

It is not imperialist.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Riso posted:

That's right.
The label was created by a Frenchman comparing the state of the world to the pre-revolutionary Estates of France.

It is not imperialist.

The clergy were the first estate.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Riso posted:

That's right.

It is not imperialist.

And the swastika was created by people in India hundreds of years ago. It's totally not a Nazi symbol.

Terms and symbols can evolve over time to take on new meanings! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

GSD posted:

The clergy were the first estate.

Oh, right. I keep mixing them up. But the third is still everyone else!

• Locked thread