Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
3 should be enough to deal with them, and Erases if needs be. Spoils allows for a modicum of anti-Deicide tech, and variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Went to a new LGS today and took down FNM with Mardu Walkers/Mardude Superfriends. Hard.

Match 1 - Jeskai. Not quite clear on the archetype, but it ran Seekers, Charm, Rabblemaster and Mantis Rider as I recall. 2-1 to me, he got a win in with a really good start of Seeker then Rabblemaster before I could start removing things, and just couldn't stabilize in time.

Match 2 - Selesnya. New player (3 weeks) so she wasn't running a very optimal deck, and didn't know about using things at instant speed or the stack. She said she learnt a bunch, so I was pleased. I did finish off in flashy fashion though, I top decked Ajani with Elspeth, Liliana and Sarkhan out, along with about 6 soldier tokens. His -2 let me ultimate Liliana for her dead creatures, and Elspeth for her Emblem. I apologised for living the dream.

Match 3 - RDW. Holy poo poo what a difference sideboarding makes. First game he's swinging with 2 Swiftspears T2 for 4 damage and I just don't get the time to draw answers. 10 cards of sideboarding later and I'm sitting pretty, I have opening hands with Nyx-fleece Rams and can keep him off the board, and Brimaz went to town. Also did well off of a Liliana forcing discard. Only mountains but it let me know the coast was clear and he wasn't amassing the burn to kill Brimaz.

Match 4 - Reddish Deck Wins? Izzit Prowess/Heroic? Same story, fast deck nails me game 1, I think the exact same sideboarding turned it around. Mostly a red deck with a bunch of the Red Heroics and Swiftspears, also Valley Dasher and Hordeling Outburst, splash of blue for Aqueous Form. Misread his deck and brought in Despise despite him actually being fairly low on creature cards, so it missed all three times I cast it (though one time I was mostly checking the coast was clear) Finished by ultimating Liliana for 2 swiftspears and 2 Rabblemasters to put me over lethal with Brimaz tokens after casting Despise for Prowess.

Brimaz was great out of the side, but with 3 red opponents I don't know if he was better in game 2 and 3 than in 1, stuff like Stoke stay in against me. It's still good to force them to target something other than me with them, but maybe Brimaz should be maindeck then? I think it will make a difference against more black players, if I go somewhere with lots of Abzan and Sultai I will probably be glad for the current arrangement.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I would say stay creatureless until sideboarding. It throws off most black decks and your sideboarding against red is pretty good. Have you thought about Aegis of the Gods? It was working pretty well for me.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I have seen some mardu walker builds use brimaz main to success. I just love the fact that I'm creatureless and people don't realize it, even after game 1. I've had people board in stuff like suspension field against me because they just assumed I never drew my butchers.

Bizarro whats your SB look like right now? I know yours was different than mine and I've made several adjustments. Mainly finding space for a few copies of erase, whip decks have been showing up in numbers lately.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Had a chance to hit up FNM again this week, but only managed 2-2 before dropping. I ran Sub Sligh, I'm pretty happy with Stoke the Flames mainboard but I didn't get nearly as lucky this time out. Round 1 was 2-1 over Mardu Tokens/Walkers/whatever, Round 2 was 1-2 to Abzan (three Siege Rhinos game 2 and three Coursers game 3 come on man :argh:), Round 3 was 1-2 to UW Heroic (Ordeal of Heliod is nigh-unbeatable for me), Round 4 was 2-0 against that same loud Jeskai guy but at that point I didn't feel like staying an extra 90 minutes to maybe win a pack, so I conceded to him and dropped.

Any suggestions for sideboard tweaks to better combat lifegain? The Stokes help but it's not enough, I also never had a Harness By Force in hand to take advantage of a Rhino or a large Seeker of the Way/Hero of Iroas. And what are you generally boarding out with Sub Sligh? I usually take out some mix Denizens, Firedrinkers, and Hoplites but for a deck that wins through swinging quickly, it seems like those might hurt to cut. There's just not a lot of fat on this deck. Maybe Coordinated Assault since it's the most conditional, but it's such a beating especially with all the Heroic and Prowess triggers in the deck.

Also, highlight of the night was seeing 5-Color Morph Control that ramped with Trail of Mystery and won with loving Chromanticore (and Ashiok backup!). If I had the manabase I'd totally try that out.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
4-0(-1) with the MarduKing list I posted with the following sideboard changes
-3 Thoughtseize
-1 Purphoros
+2 bile blight
+2 anger of the gods (shouldn't have done this one)

This deck is legit.

2-0 against a kid with a intro deck, 2-1 against R/G monsters of some sort (seeker and removal), 2-1 against some grixis control variant with mogis/keranos/empty the pits, and 2-0 against abzan midrange by punching through THREE rhinos and establishing a Tymaret/Bloodsoaked Champion loop.

Deck still needs the fourth crackling doom, and I can't actually say much on Purphoros, I either never drew him or had the game in hand by the time I could cast him. Mana was fine, but may need some slight tweaking. The extra urborg thing came up in my last game, but it ended up being ok to hold because he was running Lilliana in the deck.

I say (-1) because they wanted to make us do a fifth round, and neither person at 4-0 wanted to bother. By standings I was first, but shits weren't given. Prize packs sucked balls, draft leavings at best. Gave my commons to a kid.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

I would say stay creatureless until sideboarding. It throws off most black decks and your sideboarding against red is pretty good. Have you thought about Aegis of the Gods? It was working pretty well for me.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I have seen some mardu walker builds use brimaz main to success. I just love the fact that I'm creatureless and people don't realize it, even after game 1. I've had people board in stuff like suspension field against me because they just assumed I never drew my butchers.

Bizarro whats your SB look like right now? I know yours was different than mine and I've made several adjustments. Mainly finding space for a few copies of erase, whip decks have been showing up in numbers lately.

Current sideboard is:
3 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
2 Hushwing Gryff
2 Phyrexian Revoker
2 Nyx-Fleece Ram
1 Hero's Downfall
3 Despise
2 Bile Blight

If Brimmy leaves the sideboard it's only to go into the main, but I think he'll stay here for now. Hushwing I think is near mandatory with Rhino and Roc out there. I've not put Revoker to work yet, I guess it might come out if that doesn't change but there's a bunch of good Planeswalkers worth hobbling with it. Ram is amazing with Red as it is right now, non-Black is going to struggle to get rid of it, and even Black needs to spend a resource it would likely rather spend on a Walker. Not that I've brought it in against black yet, there are aggro builds that it might be good against. Downfall if the opponent is Walker-heavy or has a few fatties, Despise for creature-heavy decks and when I want hand disruption without giving up life, Bile Blight for tokens and aggro.

Aegis seems like it could be useful in some situations, but how do you use it? Red decks can probably just shoot him, which granted uses up a resource, but it doesn't seem incredible. The guard against burn to the dome and my Walkers could be good though.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

That's exactly how I do use it. Wasting a Lightning Strike or Stoke the Flames on that little guy before they can hit me is usually all I need to stabilize. My game 1 matchups against the burn heavy (not Sligh) decks has always been pretty bad because I lose alot of life early on Seizing out Rabblemasters.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Everybody hates Jeskai tokens, I know. But I wanted to throw out a version that's rather different and a little more low to the ground than Yuuya Watanabe's:

4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Seeker of the Way
3 Goblin Rabblemaster

4 Jeskai Ascendancy
4 Raise the Alarm
4 Hordling Outburst
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Crowd's Favor
3 Treasure Cruise
2 Defiant Strike
2 Jeskai Charm
1 Return to the Ranks

2 Mystic Monastery
2 Mana Confluence
3 Battlefield Forge
3 Shivan Reef
2 Temple of Triumph
2 Temple of Epiphany
3 Flooded Strand
2 Island
2 Plains

I'm still tweaking the manabase. The deck aims for turn 5 kills chaining a series of free convoke spells. And this allows me to cram more spells into the deck by being able to run on 3 lands. I'm testing Return to the Ranks since it is effectively free and allows me to be liberal in looting my Swiftspears and Seekers into the yard. It will likely come out for another Defiant Strike or Treasure Cruise, though.

SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011
DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TELL ME THAT YOU'RE A WOMEN OR GAY. I'M SO TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT THAT I KEEP BREAKING MY FUCKING KEYBOARD. GOD JUST READING THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BASH IT IN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH BLOOD, FLESH, AND BONE AAAARGHAARHGHGHAHRHHFFF
I'm fairly new and mana feels so confusing when building a deck. I've got no fetches and only one shock (lol kolos) but how should I build my mana cards for a tri colour? How many dual lands/tri lands and basics should I add for an aggro deck? 22 of what split?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

SierraNovember posted:

I'm fairly new and mana feels so confusing when building a deck. I've got no fetches and only one shock (lol kolos) but how should I build my mana cards for a tri colour? How many dual lands/tri lands and basics should I add for an aggro deck? 22 of what split?
Frank Karsten has a few articles that can help:
How Many Colored Mana Sources Do You Need to Consistently Cast Your Spells?
Building Three-Color Manabases in Standard

If you're an aggro deck it kinda stinks because you don't want tapped mana, but if you're on a budget/new and don't want to spend often you'll have to deal. In the end it's probably going to cost you some amount of games, but casting a spell a turn too late is better than, like, only having a 50% chance of ever casting the spell. Still, if you don't have the money lands, I think it might be better to stick with mono-color or 2-color so you have to run less tapped lands and can run more basics.

Could you post your list so I can get an idea of where to start with the calculation? I love making posts like this in here.

SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011
DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TELL ME THAT YOU'RE A WOMEN OR GAY. I'M SO TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT THAT I KEEP BREAKING MY FUCKING KEYBOARD. GOD JUST READING THAT MAKES ME WANT TO BASH IT IN UNTIL EVERYTHING IS COVERED WITH BLOOD, FLESH, AND BONE AAAARGHAARHGHGHAHRHHFFF

Boco_T posted:

Frank Karsten has a few articles that can help:
How Many Colored Mana Sources Do You Need to Consistently Cast Your Spells?
Building Three-Color Manabases in Standard

If you're an aggro deck it kinda stinks because you don't want tapped mana, but if you're on a budget/new and don't want to spend often you'll have to deal. In the end it's probably going to cost you some amount of games, but casting a spell a turn too late is better than, like, only having a 50% chance of ever casting the spell. Still, if you don't have the money lands, I think it might be better to stick with mono-color or 2-color so you have to run less tapped lands and can run more basics.

Could you post your list so I can get an idea of where to start with the calculation? I love making posts like this in here.

Hey man,

I think after X-Mas I'm going to spend a few coins on some fetches and shocks seeing as they're coming down in cost on MagicCardMarket at least...

This is my current experiment, although not fully built yet (missing 1 seeker) http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-12-14-mardu-agro/ .

Initially, I was running this as my basic FNM deck, in the first week I had it running properly at FNM it placed 3rd of around 15 which was nice, but - I like looking to evolve my decks: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/warrior-core/
Since, I've also tried Abzan Warriors: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/abzan-warrior-agro/ - where I felt the mana was a big problem, although looking at this mana base now I notice no basic forests...doh! I never got very far with this at all.
Also, another test Mardu deck I managed a mid-table result with was http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mardu-warrior-aggression/ - basing on Mardu Ascendancy/Purphorps as a win condition should the game reach later than I hope.

It may be my lack of experience, but I feel my mana is just inconsistent. The mana difference between a dual and a tri-colour deck feels pretty huge.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Before you go spending any money on them you should know that Shocks aren't in Standard anymore so you probably won't be able to play them at FNM.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Cernunnos posted:

Before you go spending any money on them you should know that Shocks aren't in Standard anymore so you probably won't be able to play them at FNM.

I think he might mean Painlands? He mentioned Caves of Koilos in an earlier post.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
He mentioned caves of koilos so I think he's got shocks and painlands mixed.

Shocks (for example hallowed fountain, breeding pool) are the lands that count as two land types and let you pay 2 life for them to come in untapped. Painlands (caves of koilos, shivan reef, etc.) are the lands that force you to take 1 damage each time you tap them for one of their colored mana.

SierraNovember
Nov 3, 2011

Fingers McLongDong posted:

He mentioned caves of koilos so I think he's got shocks and painlands mixed.

Shocks (for example hallowed fountain, breeding pool) are the lands that count as two land types and let you pay 2 life for them to come in untapped. Painlands (caves of koilos, shivan reef, etc.) are the lands that force you to take 1 damage each time you tap them for one of their colored mana.

This would be right!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Magic Players are terrible for inventing jargon and nicknames for everything and forgetting that new players don't automatically know it all.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

At least the land nicknames are somewhat descriptive (it 'Shocks' you when you play it untapped!, or you get to Scry when it enters the battlefield!)

What gets me is the derivative decknames for eternal formats. They've gone through so many iterations, and it's a total guessing game as to which name sticks. The Rock? Death and Taxes? Cephalid Breakfast? None of that tells you anything about what the deck is doing...

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

At least Delver is, largely by accident, very descriptive right now :v:.

C-Euro posted:

Had a chance to hit up FNM again this week, but only managed 2-2 before dropping. I ran Sub Sligh, I'm pretty happy with Stoke the Flames mainboard but I didn't get nearly as lucky this time out. Round 1 was 2-1 over Mardu Tokens/Walkers/whatever, Round 2 was 1-2 to Abzan (three Siege Rhinos game 2 and three Coursers game 3 come on man :argh:), Round 3 was 1-2 to UW Heroic (Ordeal of Heliod is nigh-unbeatable for me), Round 4 was 2-0 against that same loud Jeskai guy but at that point I didn't feel like staying an extra 90 minutes to maybe win a pack, so I conceded to him and dropped.
I've taken Boss Sligh to a couple of events and had a lot of success (going 4-0 at one of them). The main differences in my deck are that I run 4 Dragon Mantle, 4 Stokes and 3 Frenzied goblin, while moving the Searing Blood to the sideboard and cutting a few Coordinated Assaults, Strikes and Hoplites.

Dragon Mantle is great because it immediately replaces itself while giving you a heroic/prowess trigger, and then lets you apply pressure to without committing any more cards to the board. I'd strongly recommend it if you're running a full heroic set, it lets you keep going for significantly longer. Frenzied Goblin lets you just completely ignore your opponent's attempts to block for ages, and becomes especially good when they drop something that's awkward to kill like Courser or Rhino. I think it helps against enough decks to justify its inclusion in the main, as long as your opponent has blockers it helps a lot. Searing Blood is cool but I'm not sure if it has enough targets in enough decks to justify mainboarding it.

As for lifegain, I don't really think there's a better response right now than just killing the creature that's giving them life or being fast enough that the lifegain comes in too late to help. Stuff like Eidolon of the Great Revel can prevent decks from even getting to that stage while more burn can help deal with stuff like Seeker of the Way, but ultimately it's always gonna be problematic for a super-aggro deck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I've taken Boss Sligh to a couple of events and had a lot of success (going 4-0 at one of them).

I actually only have one Frenzied Goblin right now and can't find any more :negative: I had Dragon Mantle when I first built the deck but never really had mana open for it and didn't like the feeling of getting 2-for-1'd. I might try it again, there were a couple games where I had more mana than gas and lost because of it.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You can't really avoid the possibility of 2-for-1s in a pump based deck, and at least when it comes to Dragon Mantle they need to have the removal ready as you play it in order to set you back. You can often play around it, especially early in the game when you're starting your blitz.

I also feel like it lets you avoid major card disadvantage against some decks too - it means you can keep doing appreciable damage to your opponent without putting all your creatures on the board and getting blown out by a sweeper.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Might be taking Mardu Walkers to a PPTQ on Sunday. I think two decks I need to be wary of are Sidisi Whip and Control with Perilous Vault.

I've started thinking I should maybe drop something, perhaps the Revokers or Bile Blights and spare Downfall in the sideboard, for some artifact hate. I just realized Smelt is gone and I'd have to settle for Shatter for instant speed artifact removal, could that be okay? There's Erase which deals with Whip but not Vault too. I'm not totally lost against them as I have maindeck Utter End, but I think they could be problematic and worth dealing with.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Might be taking Mardu Walkers to a PPTQ on Sunday. I think two decks I need to be wary of are Sidisi Whip and Control with Perilous Vault.

I've started thinking I should maybe drop something, perhaps the Revokers or Bile Blights and spare Downfall in the sideboard, for some artifact hate. I just realized Smelt is gone and I'd have to settle for Shatter for instant speed artifact removal, could that be okay? There's Erase which deals with Whip but not Vault too. I'm not totally lost against them as I have maindeck Utter End, but I think they could be problematic and worth dealing with.

I don't think you care much about the removal being instant speed. With both artifacts you're worried about, if they have enough mana to cast them and activate their ability, you wouldn't be able to stop them anyway. You might as well just go with Revoke Existance.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

I don't think you care much about the removal being instant speed. With both artifacts you're worried about, if they have enough mana to cast them and activate their ability, you wouldn't be able to stop them anyway. You might as well just go with Revoke Existance.

I can take away a whipped creature's lifelink is the thing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BizarroAzrael posted:

I can take away a whipped creature's lifelink is the thing.

Then you're SOL, really. Other option is to just kill the dude before they swing with it. :shrug:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Which one is this? I'm going to a PPTQ too on Sunday, in Milton Keynes. I'm still debating between jeskai tokens, mono red sligh w/ rabblemasters or mardu midrange. Going to do some last minute playtesting tomorrow to iron out my choices.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Samael posted:

Which one is this? I'm going to a PPTQ too on Sunday, in Milton Keynes. I'm still debating between jeskai tokens, mono red sligh w/ rabblemasters or mardu midrange. Going to do some last minute playtesting tomorrow to iron out my choices.

Isle of Wight, but possibly not now, since the trains aren't running and I don't fancy dealing with getting there.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I don't think perilous vault alone is worth dedicating slots to. You definitely need some erase in the sb for whip decks, but I've kinda conceded to the fact that UB control is going to be a bad matchup. Fortunately it's not the most common deck. I actually board in all my sideboard creatures and one copy of Empty the Pits for those matchups. I figure that by increasing threat density in my deck that I can force more proactive action on the other control players part. I have a friend I play pretty often who's using UB control and it's been working well, but game 1 is definitely a struggle against vault decks. My current SB:

1x Empty the Pits
2x Ashcloud Phoenix
2x Stormbreath Dragon
3x Brimaz
2x Nyx-Fleece Ram
2x Magma Spray
3x Erase

I had more Utter end in the SB but I realized I was always boarding them in against whip decks and ascendancy decks. I still kept one in the main as a catch-all.

Also Ashcloud Phoenix is a superstar to board in against control and other mardu decks, I highly recommend it.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Man_alive posted:

Do you have a list that you are running?
I've played a couple of FNM with RDW, and now looking to move to something a little different. People are starting to twig what I'm playing! If I can get a second deck running, I can switch week to week and keep people guessing.

I have the pieces for Temur (minus Sarkhan's and a few lands) and the same could be said for Sultai (but without DTT, Courser and a few lands).

Hey, sorry it took so long to reply. Been really busy. Haven't had much magic time lately.

Using this.

Deck: Temur Midrange

//Lands
3 Forest
4 Frontier Bivouac
3 Mana Confluence
2 Mountain
1 Shivan Reef
2 Temple of Epiphany
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Yavimaya Coast

//Spells
4 Crater's Claws
3 Lightning Strike
1 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
2 Temur Charm

//Creatures
4 Ashcloud Phoenix
4 Boon Satyr
3 Elvish Mystic
4 Heir of the Wilds
3 Polukranos, World Eater
4 Rattleclaw Mystic
4 Savage Knuckleblade
1 Thassa, God of the Sea

//Sideboard
1 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
2 Arc Lightning
2 Magma Spray
2 Surrak Dragonclaw
2 Disdainful Stroke
3 Hunt the Hunter
3 Stubborn Denial

Display deck statistics

Its been a lot of fun to play.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

For the Mardu Walkers people, you could also just break out a Banishing Light for whips. I run 1 maindeck just as a precaution against Ascendency and other game 1 enchantment things.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

GoutPatrol posted:

For the Mardu Walkers people, you could also just break out a Banishing Light for whips. I run 1 maindeck just as a precaution against Ascendency and other game 1 enchantment things.

I run 1 utter end maindeck for this reason, and I was trying b.light or extra utter ends in the board but I realized I was always bring them in for whip/ascendancy. Being able to erase for 1 mana and keep a kill spell up is pretty good but imo your recommendation of 1 b.light or utter end main as a catch-all is good.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

Thanks for posting the list anyway. As it is, I've missed the last couple of fnms, this week's being the last standard of the year. Next week is modern which I should have zoo ready for anyway. I still want to build this though and happily, I only need for the two sarkhans to build it! Thanks again!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

There are still some archetypes I need to test against more, but I don't think Banishing Light is right for the deck, 3CMC is already really crowded, and it carries the risk of being destroyed by almost any deck worth bringing it in against. Plus the targeting flexibility isn't a big bonus when the deck already does so much to deal with creatures and walkers. I've got 3 Erase sleeved in my sideboard right now, might swap them for Revoke Existence depending how I feel about Vault.

Might try Ashcloud Phoenix if I can get some.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

OK this is my first ever deck I've built without just throwing any old crap together cos it looks cool and I'm thinking about giving it a run at an FNM

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Lands
7 Mountain
5 Plains
2 Scoured Barrens
6 Swamp
4 Wind-Scarred Crag

//Spells
2 Burning Anger
2 Chained to the Rocks
4 Crackling Doom
2 Goblinslide
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Howl of the Horde
4 Mardu Charm
2 Spear of Heliod

//Creatures
4 Mardu Hateblade
4 Ponyback Brigade
4 Swarm of Bloodflies

Display deck statistics

Its win condition is getting the bloodflies out and smashing goblins in to the opponent to fuel it.

I wanted it to be budget cos I'm not a rich man and this looks like it would be fun to play while not costing the earth (a couple of Elsebeth's in there would be nice tho)

Is this going to get stomped horribly at FNM?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

AceClown posted:

OK this is my first ever deck I've built without just throwing any old crap together cos it looks cool and I'm thinking about giving it a run at an FNM

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Lands
7 Mountain
5 Plains
2 Scoured Barrens
6 Swamp
4 Wind-Scarred Crag

//Spells
2 Burning Anger
2 Chained to the Rocks
4 Crackling Doom
2 Goblinslide
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Howl of the Horde
4 Mardu Charm
2 Spear of Heliod

//Creatures
4 Mardu Hateblade
4 Ponyback Brigade
4 Swarm of Bloodflies

Display deck statistics

Its win condition is getting the bloodflies out and smashing goblins in to the opponent to fuel it.

I wanted it to be budget cos I'm not a rich man and this looks like it would be fun to play while not costing the earth (a couple of Elsebeth's in there would be nice tho)

Is this going to get stomped horribly at FNM?

I'll be honest, it probably will if other people are playing tier 1 tournament decks. That said, if you're willing to spend a little on 4 Nomad Outpost, replacing Bloodflies with Butcher of the Horde, Mardu Hateblade with Typhoid Rats, and Howl of the Horde with Lightning Strike, it's looking in much better shape, and that should run you about $10. Your deck really, REALLY wants Stoke the Flames, if you're willing to spend a little more ($20 for the playset).

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Came 4th/3rd at a PPTQ with Mardu Walkers today. 3-1-1 (the draw was an ID in the fifth round) Played against Mono Red, where I again had to take terrifying amounts of damage early before stabilizing in the nick of time, he also was stuck on 1 mana for the first game (but got a lot out of it) and flooded in the second. Seemed to draw better than a Jeskai opponent and went 2-0 against a deck I was probably at a disadvantage against game 1. Lost against Abzan midrange in round 4, just didn't get to put anything together. A lot of it seemed to be misfortune, like him having a second Rhino right after I End Hostilities on a previous one and my own Hushwing, and whilst I have a second Hushwing in hand he gets Raid on Wingmate Roc before I can get it out.

First game of top 8 was Sultai control I think, no Whip or Sidisi, fair amount of Delve draw cards and counters, Coursers, Caryatids, Pearl Lake Ancient and Prognotic Sphinx. Took a while but I think it was decided when I got Sorin's Emblem, he was able to get rid of my guys but couldn't keep his own on the field. He missed a chance to kill Sorin with Garruk and I was able to get rid of him with Brimaz and burn. There was a funny moment when he used Clever Impersonator to copy my Sarkhan, then +1ed to kill mine, mirroring a play I made against him last week in a sealed event, but I was able to burn him off the board too. He had one last big crack at keeping something down late on, with loads of land out, casting 3 Caryatids and Polokranos in a single turn, right after I drew End Hostilities.

Semi-final against UB control, which I think is the deck's worst match, though I did win the first game with some poor drawing on his part, and me having Lilina out to -2 up a Utter End, then played a Chandra to use her 0 to cast it and get rid of his Perilous Vault and preserve a commanding board position. The next two games were a drawn out affair with me trying to power through heavy counter magic, and I just couldn't find a way through. It was still a cracking match, if exhausting. He actually ran Psychic Intrusion out of the side, stole my Elspeth with it.

So maybe it's just the deck's bad match and I need to accept it, but I want to see if I can make things run smoother. It's difficult with so many counters and potent card draw from Jace's Ingenuity and Dig, I think Vault is the only thing he plays at Sorcery Speed. It might be good to interfere with Graveyards and reduce access to Delve spells. I had Burn Away suggested to me for Whip decks, but that doesn't really work on Control unless they get their Ancient out. Maybe Tormod's Crypt?

The other thing I thought might work well was Mardu Charm, since I found myself stuck with dead cards a bit since I main deck so much removal. It can act as removal, 4 damage being pretty relevant, and the instant speed hand disruption might give me some good plays against control, in response to his Thoughtseizes and after he's tapped out to resolve a Dig, I can grab his best card. 3CMC seems a lot for any of it's modes, but the flexibility might make it worth including in my 75? I think my 3 Revoke Existence was too many, given the number of targets and since I have 2 Utter End main deck.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Can anyone explain the logic behind not playing the full playset of Jeskai Charms in Jeskai Tokens? There's got to be some way to fit it into the deck, and it improves your draws that don't have ascendancy by so, so much.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

BizarroAzrael posted:

The other thing I thought might work well was Mardu Charm, since I found myself stuck with dead cards a bit since I main deck so much removal. It can act as removal, 4 damage being pretty relevant, and the instant speed hand disruption might give me some good plays against control, in response to his Thoughtseizes and after he's tapped out to resolve a Dig, I can grab his best card. 3CMC seems a lot for any of it's modes, but the flexibility might make it worth including in my 75? I think my 3 Revoke Existence was too many, given the number of targets and since I have 2 Utter End main deck.

First, congratulations. I would recommend Mardu Charm as some extra utility, yeah. Being able to snag a card at instant speed definitely helps, or even just getting two bodies to block/swing with. First Strike is very relevant.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

Mardu charm might be worth taking a look at. I had considered it originally but at the time didn't feel like it warranted a spot over the other choices. I might try running 2, probably cut my 4th downfall for one, not sure about the second. Maybe either one of the despises? Seems better to cut a despise than something like lightning strike or read the bones. Currently been using a 3/2 Thoughtseize/despise split so I'd still have 4 one mana hand disruption spells. Could just go with 4 Thoughtseize at that point but the whole reason I went with the split was to reduce the self-harm done along with painlands and RtB.

Let me know what you end up cutting and if it works out if you get to test it before I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Need to think about it, not sure how happy I am with it in the main deck, but I think 2 in the 75 is right.

Also, perhaps next time Hushwing should come in? Cancelling ETB effects probably doesn't matter, but I can flash it in when they tap out to dig.

• Locked thread