Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I've accidentally deleted the (amazing) Roland soundfont I was using with BassMIDI - I vaguely remember someone here linking to one a while back but can't find the post.

Can anyone help please? Windows MIDI sounds awful :(

e: Happy birthday, Q3A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
LvL is doing a nice little Q3 anniversary tribute; new map screenshot each time you visit the LvL homepage.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Johnny Law posted:

LvL is doing a nice little Q3 anniversary tribute; new map screenshot each time you visit the LvL homepage.
Sometimes it also pulls from these screenshots from a leaked build of the game from March 1999. Nice touch!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Noticed this on the ZDoom project forums last night, and am pleasantly surprised. Not one for purists, but I think some of you might like BDJ.

Yes, it's a Brutal Doom variant with a bunch of new stuff. There's about fifty of them out there, but this one kinda stands out by having a bit of vision, to the point where it's bundled with a somewhat tweaked version of Knee Deep In ZDoom as the recommended campaign. Weapon balance is pretty radically changed, but the biggest gameplay change is off-hand grenades (which are actually really good and precise) and putting melee as a quick action.

Killing an enemy in melee has a pretty good chance of triggering a fatality, and you get a halfway decent reward for doing them. I murdered an imp and got five grenades for it - each monster type has its own reward. You're also far more likely to melee-finish monsters, as there are visible health bars. Getting a Baron Of Hell down to 5hp and then kicking it in the balls is nice.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
drat, throw some Aeons of Death in there and that's pretty much the perfect way to play Chex Quest.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Oh yeah, Quake Live did a big update to mark Q3A's 15th anniversary.

To summarize:
  • Steam Trading Cards and all that rot, drawn by the guy who did the original Q3A Visor promotional painting you've prob. seen around.
  • Removed the "map rotation" system so all maps can be played by all users, not just subscribers
  • Nine new maps (one of which returns from Rocket Arena 3), and one remastered one
  • A new medal for telefrags
  • Separate volume controls for the announcer
  • Various bug fixes and tweaks

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

quote:

Ragnarok

In a time past coexistance, the mythical cycle is coming to an end and the doom of the gods is percipiated by the fierce battle of hallowed elements.
Percipiating indeed!

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

The Kins posted:

Removed the "map rotation" system so all maps can be played by all users, not just subscribers

I JUST BOUGHT A YEAR OF loving PRO gently caress ID FOREVER

But it is pretty great they finally took it out, so many of the people I used to duel with stopped playing because of the rotation idiocy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bloodmobile posted:

I JUST BOUGHT A YEAR OF loving PRO gently caress ID FOREVER

But it is pretty great they finally took it out, so many of the people I used to duel with stopped playing because of the rotation idiocy.

Well you still get "small CA and large Terra" as your pro exclusives.

quote:

All maps (with the exclusion of Small CA and large Terra maps) are available on public servers, including newly released arenas, and come up for vote in the end-game subscriber voting portal. Small CA and Terra maps are not included due to their sizes, but these maps remain available for selection by pro users via Create Match.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Wait what's the point of pro then if you don't get the special maps?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

Custom servers, clans, and I think you get sole right to mapvote.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Re: Descent talk, which was some days ago

I've just remembered about the UDK game Sol Contingency, and went to their facebook to see how is the progress going...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WyhK4Fbawg

Apparently they're in trouble with Interplay and got C&D in September, the last update (from which above video comes) was in the end of October. Anyone knews anything more?

Also there was the Doom 3 mod similiar to Descent, which I saw video of some years ago... and it seems the development stopped at that point.

Also, reposting this link for Descent's music afficionados: http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?topic=1255.0

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Descent 3's intro still upsets me. The new Pyro in that game isn't nearly as cool looking as the GX.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

So Super Wolfenstein 3D is a thing, I guess

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

On reflection, the full maplist being on public servers with no voting just makes them worse. There's next to no chance to get a good duel map in the end-of-match voting pool (which is just 3 random maps) and all the servers are currently stuck on completely awful ones that nobody wants to play.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

It's like Voxelstein, except more of a game and with the option of non-violence.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

It's super silly (as the gif shows) and also quite interesting game in itself.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Guess it's fully confirmed now. Night Dive are bringing back Strife, probably with the help of the Doom64EX guy.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Man, who are those guys, and what dark magicks do they wield to get a hold of the rights to this stuff?

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

laserghost posted:

It's super silly (as the gif shows) and also quite interesting game in itself.

As a graphical update, it looks fantastic. So many Doom and Quake remakes look like highres textures wrapped in cling-film.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SavageMessiah posted:

Man, who are those guys, and what dark magicks do they wield to get a hold of the rights to this stuff?

I don't know but they're really making me want to hug some internet strangers and yet not feel bad about it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Wow, never thought this would see the light of day again! Day 1 purchase for me, even though already have a disc copy. Now to hope Gog got Outlaws as part of the Disney agreement...

e: wait, didn't a game come out recently with the same name? Wonder how they'll work that one out.

Convex fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 5, 2014

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
It will probably work out similarly to the whole thing where the Ghostbusters came out as a film years after there was a show called the Ghostbusters on TV that they'd apparently never heard of. As in nothing will happen... unless they make a cartoon version of that new game called Strife, which they will have the call "The Real Strife."

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Well, the actual name of the game is "Strife:Quest for the Sigil" which should keep it separate enough from "Strife" the moba.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

laserghost posted:

Also there was the Doom 3 mod similiar to Descent, which I saw video of some years ago... and it seems the development stopped at that point.

The manager/dev for Into Cerberon is a buddy of mine. Life just got in the way of development and it fizzled. v:shobon:v

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 5, 2014

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
System Shock 2 and Strife are now being sold again. Somewhere out there, the owner of the Home of the Underdogs is smiling. :unsmith:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

closeted republican posted:

System Shock 2 and Strife are now being sold again. Somewhere out there, the owner of the Home of the Underdogs is smiling. :unsmith:

Now to get NOLF. And all those games encumbered by being licensed from a big franchise (Terminator, Dune, etc.).

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Night Dive filed trademarks for NOLF back in May of this year: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/02/no-one-lives-forever-re-release/

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
So I was looking through old MOTYs on moddb and found this.

I want that HUD! It's perfect.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

How was called that Terminator FPS that pretty much looked like a Doom TC? I thought it was really cool, also the original Alien Trilogy wich was scary as gently caress for me back in the days.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
It's either Terminator: Future Shock or Terminator: Rampage. Although the latter looked more like a Wolf3D clone than anything else.

Future Shock is pretty great, though, I think it was the first Doom-style FPS to feature fully polygonal enemies.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Future Shock and SkyNet were the poo poo, the second one especially looked great in hi-res and had real freelook. Too bad it was released at the tail end of MS-DOS era. And we probably will never see a re-release.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Guillermus posted:

How was called that Terminator FPS that pretty much looked like a Doom TC? I thought it was really cool, also the original Alien Trilogy wich was scary as gently caress for me back in the days.

Bethesda made four Terminator games.

The first, published in 1990, was some weird action/adventure game programmed entirely in assembly or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ix9iD64pV4

The second, much less impressive, was a Wolf-3D clone released in 1993.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEOnR_2-ohc

The third, released in 1995, used the much-hyped at the time Xngine, which also powered several Elder Scrolls games (Daggerfall, Redguard, Battlespire) and a car racing game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p62hA4GUw8

The fourth, released in 1996, used the same engine and while it was stand-alone, it could also be used as an extension and engine patch. So if you had both Future Shock and SkyNET, you could play Future Shock in SkyNET's updated engine, benefiting from a higher resolution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG1P5lgzEVg

Future Shock and SkyNET had a humongous inventory. Each weapon slot had both a ballistic weapon and an energy weapon, and a variety of grenades were available too.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Dec 6, 2014

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Hi all, I work on Quake Live and hang out in #SAGameDev and people there told me to post here. Tell me how I am worse than Hitler for adding loadouts and the HMG. Also, while not strictly FPS related, I found this, backed it up, and was the first person in 25 years to experience this:

thanks for listening.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The Quake Live changes aren't terrible in practice, though the health regen on domination is entirely too fast.

Please say you're allowed to upload that floppy image somewhere.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
You are worse than Hitler, but you can redeem yourself.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I would love to but considering it is *not* the Dangerous Dave version, but the actual Mario sprites and first level that they showed to Nintendo, sadly I think getting that past our lawyers might be tough.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
You could always "accidentally" include it in the files for a Quake Live patch or something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cat Mattress posted:

Bethesda made four Terminator games.

The first, published in 1990, was some weird action/adventure game programmed entirely in assembly or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ix9iD64pV4

Why can you buy a vaporizer, douche, and pregnancy test in a Terminator game :stonk:

That's a weird attention to realism.

Also god drat, this is pretty much GTA in 1990. The 3D GTA. That's CRAZY ambitious. Of course it runs like poo poo, but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
You're worse than Hitler :argh:
It's all cool, there's the classic mode after all.