Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Anybody going to the 5k in chicago today? If youre here and have a competitive edh or standard deck i would like to play in between rounds. My lgs is going to swap fnm to edh so any help playtesting would be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Tonetta posted:

Anybody going to the 5k in chicago today? If youre here and have a competitive edh or standard deck i would like to play in between rounds. My lgs is going to swap fnm to edh so any help playtesting would be good.

I would have considered it but I have the stupid S12 MTGO championship finals thing to play in and that doesn't involve driving so it wins out!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Dunno if anyone is watching the World Cup but Turtenwald just won an entire Game 3 of the G/B Constellation mirror when there was like 3 minutes total left in the round. He needed his opponent to basically miss a couple land drops plus play all his spells in perfect sequence for like 7 turns to deal that much damage.

It was pretty awesome. If US beats Russia in the final round they're into the Top 8 tomorrow.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tonetta posted:

I was at FNM last night and a bunch of guys in the "good" crowd were talking about carpooling over there today. If you want EDH practice my store is doing a 1v1 round robin thing today, come over and let's hustle the less-ambitious players who stayed in town :getin:

E: Any idea why Chalice of the Void tripled in price over the last week or so? I picked up the last two I needed for ~$5 each last week and now I see it hovering around $15. Who's running them?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 6, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

qbert posted:

Dunno if anyone is watching the World Cup but Turtenwald just won an entire Game 3 of the G/B Constellation mirror when there was like 3 minutes total left in the round. He needed his opponent to basically miss a couple land drops plus play all his spells in perfect sequence for like 7 turns to deal that much damage.

It was pretty awesome. If US beats Russia in the final round they're into the Top 8 tomorrow.

I wasn't watching it, but my country is in the feature match right now, so I can't miss that. :)
We're a win-and-in for Top 8 too.

VV: Hah, we barely made Day Two actually. Apparently we did well today so that's great. Go Team <Home Country>!

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 6, 2014

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Serperoth posted:

I wasn't watching it, but my country is in the feature match right now, so I can't miss that. :)
We're a win-and-in for Top 8 too.

My team (England) just got locked for top 8. Yesterday I was slating how bad our country was bad at magic... I think I need to re-think that opinion after this tournament. Go Team England!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

E: Any idea why Chalice of the Void tripled in price over the last week or so? I picked up the last two I needed for ~$5 each last week and now I see it hovering around $15. Who's running them?

I'm also curious about this sudden jump. I've been holding off on getting some because I didn't need them immediately and now I regret it. Maybe it's just a temporary spike, like that time fracturing gust went up to $15, but chalice is actually used a lot so maybe not.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

C-Euro posted:

It's a pretty unique effect in Modern and it hoses the UR Delver decks really badly. It'll never go back to $5 again, but it's such a specific hate card that I can't picture it maintaining its current price, it'll probably settle around $10ish.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I was at FNM last night and a bunch of guys in the "good" crowd were talking about carpooling over there today. If you want EDH practice my store is doing a 1v1 round robin thing today, come over and let's hustle the less-ambitious players who stayed in town :getin:

Yeah i met up with those guys lol. Chalice has the special effect of ending the life of a delver player. Also it turns off combo decks such as ascendancy.

When is that round robin thing? If i can't top 8 and can make it there in reasonable time i probably will show up.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Welp, bombed out of the S12 Championship finals. First opponent has me on the backburner, but I have a gamble and 6 in hand. Gamble for the out he can't deal with, it gets pitched to yard. I lose 5 turns later. He had no out to the gambled card.

Next match, opponent has me at 3 but i again have 6 in hand and gamble and a lethal on the board with my gambled Rites and opponent out of plays. Gamble for Rites, it gets pitched to yard.

gently caress you, 1/36 odds.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I Love You! posted:

Welp, bombed out of the S12 Championship finals. First opponent has me on the backburner, but I have a gamble and 6 in hand. Gamble for the out he can't deal with, it gets pitched to yard. I lose 5 turns later. He had no out to the gambled card.

Next match, opponent has me at 3 but i again have 6 in hand and gamble and a lethal on the board with my gambled Rites and opponent out of plays. Gamble for Rites, it gets pitched to yard.

gently caress you, 1/36 odds.

When you've got nothing, you might as well trade it for something else. :smuggo:

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
Sounds like the big mystery product announcement is tomorrow, after the WMC finals and before the Players Championship finals. Who wants to take the "something other than Modern Master 2" line?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Sounds like the big mystery product announcement is tomorrow, after the WMC finals and before the Players Championship finals. Who wants to take the "something other than Modern Master 2" line?

I saw a suggestion I'd prefer over that.

I for one, would like to see Return to Return to Phyrexian Ravnica.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

It might also be the last Core Set, I guess.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Attorney at Funk posted:

In which they reprint some of the wackiest poo poo to ever be reprinted in a standard legal set as a last hurrah to Core Sets, right?

Like Force of Will right? :getin:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

In which they reprint some of the wackiest poo poo to ever be reprinted in a standard legal set as a last hurrah to Core Sets, right?

Magic 2016 Core Set, a reprint of Alpha :getin:

EDIT: Wait poo poo, it was Alpha that didn't have Volcanic Island, that would suck.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 6, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Serperoth posted:

Magic 2016 Core Set, a reprint of Alpha :getin:

:getin::frogsiren:Foil Black Lotus :frogsiren::getin:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Reserve List Masters

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Its Modern Masters 2, book it.

Attorney at Funk posted:

We already know that the last Core Set exists though, since it was in Maro's Standard shuffle announcement.

It's a pretty unique effect in Modern and it hoses the UR Delver decks really badly. It'll never go back to $5 again, but it's such a specific hate card that I can't picture it maintaining its current price, it'll probably settle around $10ish.

Chalice is an excellent card in every format out of the board to hose all sorts of decks. It was underpriced at $5 to begin with.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 6, 2014

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Its Modern Masters 2, book it.

With GP's in Las Vegas, Amsterdam and Macau.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Eddie Whitson posted:

With GP's in Las Vegas, Amsterdam and Macau.

Not even joking. I think its Modern Masters 2 or whatever they call the equivalent if they don't want to call it MM2. Moderner Masters, or Modern Masters, the Sequel: Modernest.

I just don't see them throwing that sweet, sweet Modern Masters hype money away.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I put even odds on MM2 or a reprint of MM1. If it's the latter expect Hierarch, Tiago, Lili, Geist, Decay and Pod to spike.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tonetta posted:

Yeah i met up with those guys lol. Chalice has the special effect of ending the life of a delver player. Also it turns off combo decks such as ascendancy.

When is that round robin thing? If i can't top 8 and can make it there in reasonable time i probably will show up.

I'm pretty sure it's at 1 so you might be cutting it close, depending on when the 5k started. It might also be four-player pods and not 1v1 but they aren't open yet so I can't call to confirm. I think I still have your number so I'll shoot you a message if I learn more.

Angry Grimace posted:

Chalice is an excellent card in every format out of the board to hose all sorts of decks. It was underpriced at $5 to begin with.

Well I'm glad I picked up my playset then! Except my LGS just got rid of its weekly Modern and monthly Legacy nights :negative:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I'm pretty sure it's at 1 so you might be cutting it close, depending on when the 5k started. It might also be four-player pods and not 1v1 but they aren't open yet so I can't call to confirm. I think I still have your number so I'll shoot you a message if I learn more.

Well I'm glad I picked up my playset then! Except my LGS just got rid of its weekly Modern and monthly Legacy nights :negative:

I'm 2-0 at the 5k and not only is it only 150 players (8 rounds) but from walking around it looks like i brought a good deck into the meta here so i think i have to stay. I should be going to dekalb next weekend though.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

3rd (tecnically 4th (technically 5th)) un-set.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Tonetta posted:

I'm 2-0 at the 5k and not only is it only 150 players (8 rounds) but from walking around it looks like i brought a good deck into the meta here so i think i have to stay. I should be going to dekalb next weekend though.

Fair enough, their calendar has EDH next weekend too so I'll be there unless my co-worker gets his EDH group together next weekend like he claims to be doing. Good luck!

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I put even odds on MM2 or a reprint of MM1. If it's the latter expect Hierarch, Tiago, Lili, Geist, Decay and Pod to spike.

Er, don't you mean drop? If it follows the same pattern as the first one, everything reprinted will drop and everything not reprinted will spike, and then a year later everything will be back where it was or higher.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Er, don't you mean drop? If it follows the same pattern as the first one, everything reprinted will drop and everything not reprinted will spike, and then a year later everything will be back where it was or higher.

Those cards weren't in mm1.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dr. Stab posted:

What un-sets are you thinking of besides Unglued and Unhinged?

Those cards were not in MM1. An MM2 would, hopefully, include them.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Does anyone know how long WotC customer service usually takes to turn things around? I had a messed up card in a commander Precon I sent off like a month ago and haven't received the replacement yet.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I know, which makes them prime inclusions for MM2. Oh wait you mean if they just straight reprint MM1, then yeah that'll happen.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Dr. Stab posted:

Not that Maro's word is law but he said he's not doing one.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

Same question as Chamale, I know about Un-2, but what'd be the fifth one?

Angry Grimace posted:

Not that Maro's word is law but he said he's not doing one.

MaRo's word on Un-sets is DEFINITELY law, if one was happening, he'd be doing it, and if he was doing it, we'd know, dude loving loves his Un-sets.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Serperoth posted:

Same question as Chamale, I know about Un-2, but what'd be the fifth one?

Future Sight.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Chamale posted:

What un-sets are you thinking of besides Unglued and Unhinged?

Those cards were not in MM1. An MM2 would, hopefully, include them.

Unglued 2 and Unlimited.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Marath's the top Naya guy in French 1v1 because he is a versatile motherfucker. Give him a Basilisk Collar or hold hands with Nightshade Peddler, and he's a machine gun. Split him into little 1/1 elementals, then use Gavony or something to double your fun or just pop 'em with skullclamp to refill your hand. Respond to removal by pumping a dude then just drop him again. He's a bastard.

Here's a pretty sweet list. Being surrounded by Naya goodstuff and having the lingering threat of Kiki combos makes him pretty rough.

Here is a funny list of deck that is nothing but a billion Marath combos.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/marath-gigi-infinite-combos/

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 6, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

:3:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Best 27th birthday ever.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

If they reprint Lili of the Veil, I might actually play standard. Very few cards are capable of inflicting that kind of misery on people, and I don't think they'll ever reprint Smokestack in standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Goons, I am having trouble what standard deck to run, I have a PPTQ I am going to next week and there are so many options that I don't know what to play.

Currently sleeved up and playtested (and quite comfortable with) are-

Rabble Red
Jeskai Ascendancy Tokens (The Same 60 as the Pro Tour List)
Mardu Midrange

I have no idea what the meta is there so I will going in completely cold and would like some goon opinions of people who know standard much better than me, what do you think guys? (I am much more of a limited player)

• Locked thread