Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Bicyclops posted:

I also don't like Die Hard,

You are wrong etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

See I disagree that Aliens is bad but I can respect that opinion, but claiming Die Hard is bad is a bridge too far.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

30.5 Days posted:

How many old 5+ part serials are even considered to be "classics" compared to 3 or 4 parters? The season 2 finale is the equivalent of an old 6-parter and is bloated as gently caress.

Using a fairly neutral, if occasionally bollocks, source: The Doctor Who Dynamic Rankings page:

The top ten serials are:

4 episodes
The Caves of Androzani
The Pyramids of Mars
City of Death
The Deadly Assassin
The Robots of Death

6 episodes
The Genesis of the Daleks
The Talons of Weng Chiang
The Seeds of Doom

7 episodes
Inferno

10 episodes
The War Games

So a 50/50 split (although there are twice as many 4-and-fewer-parters than >4 episode serials, so >4 are doing pretty well in the "classics" stakes.

In general, I suspect that the average story length is a lot higher for the top 50 or so than it is for the bottom 100. There are an awful lot of excellent longer serials, and after a quick scan through the list I can only think of fewer than 10 that are complete bobbins. There are the same number of bad shorter stories in the Sixth and Seventh Doctors' 20 odd stories alone.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Personally I thought Robots of Death was kinda disappointing, had so much promise of being an Asimov-esque tale of the robot slaves throwing off their chains by using logic to get around their laws, then turned out to just be their creator secretly sticking an ice pick in their heads. Big let-down and I'm a little surprised to see it on the top ten list.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

See I disagree that Aliens is bad but I can respect that opinion, but claiming Die Hard is bad is a bridge too far.

I didn't even actually say that it was bad, I said I didn't like it, but even that makes me a pariah unfit for Christmas. :smith:

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bicyclops posted:

I didn't even actually say that it was bad, I said I didn't like it, but even that makes me a pariah unfit for Christmas. :smith:

I'm with you too there, though I like Aliens so...

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Aliens is good because it stays true to the universe of Alien and expands it. The film has a different feel, because we're watching different people in a different situation, but it makes a logical sense. It's what you would expect an encounter between the military and the aliens to be.
It's the same as how Terminator 2 is very different to The Terminator but it logically expands on the universe of the first.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Actually don't like Terminator 2 that much either. Cameron goin' on expanding things that work better on their own again.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bicyclops posted:

The early Doctors were bad enough at piloting the TARDIS that there wasn't really any such thing as visiting home or intentionally visiting historical events

Wasn't that more of a third or fourth Doctor thing? I remember Hartnell being able to pretty much go where he wanted to.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Wasn't that more of a third or fourth Doctor thing? I remember Hartnell being able to pretty much go where he wanted to.

Hartnell-Doctor was a pretty crappy pilot. The first season was essentially, "Sorry Barbara and Ian, hm, I can't steer this thing well enough to get you home. Hm." They had to steal a Dalek time machine that could be steered in order to return to modern day (well, 1965) London. Troughton, I recall, managed to steer it a few times, but it was once Pertwee got pardoned that the show let him go where he wanted.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I think in the Hartnell era the navigation controls were straight-up broken (or at least he said they were :tinfoil: ), so anytime they felt like going somewhere else he would just flick the switches and hope for the best.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Tiggum posted:

The fourth Doctor puts in a randomiser at one point.

Naturally the first two places he goes to are Skaro and Earth.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The fourth Doctor puts in a randomiser at one point.

Naturally the first two places he goes to are Skaro and Earth.

Randomizer must have had a bad seed. :v:

Speaking of the 4th Doctor, I recently decided to go back and watch all of Tom Baker's run. I'd seen bits and pieces back on PBS as a kid, but there's so many episodes I've never caught. Pretty above average, so far. I don't think I've seen a single episode with Leela or Romana, so meeting them will be interesting.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

gently caress WRONG THREAD SORRY

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 6, 2014

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Edit that out, dude, that's a major future spoiler.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The spoiler above is so egregious that I've got to give that idiot the benefit of the doubt and assume he got his threads crossed.

This is a request to take general Who discussion back to the general Who discussion thread, which was created with general Who discussion in mind. And more importantly, where you won't be flash-fried for posting spoilers.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah I had both threads open and forgot is as replying to this one, sorry. :(

surc
Aug 17, 2004

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Actually don't like Terminator 2 that much either. Cameron goin' on expanding things that work better on their own again.

Sorry, T2 is actually the best Terminator movie :shrug:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

surc posted:

Sorry, T2 is actually the best Terminator movie :shrug:

I mean it's only a 50/50 chance so that's not saying much (I agree though).

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Slice of life: I've got the whole day free for the first time in forever, so I'm gonna catch up on Criterions, finish decorating our Christmas tree, dogsit for the first time ever, and guest on an episode of a podcast which takes a look at A Talking Cat!?! one minute at a time. Good day.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Hewlett posted:

Slice of life: I've got the whole day free for the first time in forever, so I'm gonna catch up on Criterions, finish decorating our Christmas tree, dogsit for the first time ever, and guest on an episode of a podcast which takes a look at A Talking Cat!?! one minute at a time. Good day.

Speaking of crossed threads, I'm pretty sure this one is meant for the CineD general chat. All the threads are blending!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
gently caress that, CineD is a toxic wasteland of bad opinions and inflated egos. No one deserves to be banished there.

Toxxupation posted:

I unironically agree, I really don't like aliens and it's like an hour too long on the reals

alien for life mother fuckersssssssssssssssssss

Finally, a Toxx opinion that makes sense. Put me in the Alien over Aliens club too.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Who cares about the Alien franchise when Attack the Block exists

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

Who cares about the Alien franchise when Attack the Block exists

I don't know why anyone would care about franchises but the Alien film series has at least two great movies in it compared to the one very good one you mention.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Attack the Block is a perfect loving movie.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

gently caress that, CineD is a toxic wasteland of bad opinions and inflated egos. No one deserves to be banished there.

Finally, a Toxx opinion that makes sense. Put me in the Alien over Aliens club too.

I'm pretty sure most people prefer Alien to Aliens, its disliking the latter that makes people kick you out of the room and sit in a chair in the corner. :(

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

I'm pretty sure most people prefer Alien to Aliens, its disliking the latter that makes people kick you out of the room and sit in a chair in the corner. :(

Aliens is just Alien for bros. It's such a dumb over-simplification of the original. Introducing the Colonial Marines and all that was good, but Aliens reduces one of film's greatest monsters into cannon fodder that can be taken down by a few SMG bursts. That's lame as hell.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Aliens is just Alien for bros. It's such a dumb over-simplification of the original. Introducing the Colonial Marines and all that was good, but Aliens reduces one of film's greatest monsters into cannon fodder that can be taken down by a few SMG bursts. That's lame as hell.

Yeah, I do not like it. I feel like if they wanted to make an action movie with a weasel who says "Game over, man!" they did not need to make it a sequel to a very good horror film. :shrug:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That's the thing, in a vacuum Aliens is a solid action flick with a badass female hero. It's the connection to Alien that really damages it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

30.5 Days posted:

The simple fact is this: if the BBC can't actually properly length anything above 40 minutes without having problems the idea of doing serials consistently is completely insane. Especially when the best-remembered old serials are the same length as a modern one-hour special or two-parter in terms of screen time. How many old 5+ part serials are even considered to be "classics" compared to 3 or 4 parters? The season 2 finale is the equivalent of an old 6-parter and is bloated as gently caress.
This really, truly isn't on the BBC; it's on the backs of the showrunners like a shell on a snapping turtle. The BBC is full of people who can script a multi-hour serial -- both RTD and Moffat have done it outside Who.

Putting on my infallible script-critic hat, the real problem is self-indulgence. Within Who, RTD -- the only showrunner who's in scope of this thread -- couldn't kill his darlings, or at least didn't do it often enough. Many of the episodes you list as overlong have whole scenes that could be cut out. Which is a whole parlor game in itself -- what scenes/moments would you cut from an overlong episode to make it tight?

Speaking of which, is it true that the Master's magnificent entrance to the Scissor Sisters' "I Can't Decide" was cut from the DVDs due to rights issues? Because if so, that's a damned shame.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Some really bad action movie opinions being thrown around ITT. Half expecting someone to start talking poo poo about Dredd next.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
He doesn't know how to use the three shells.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

DetoxP posted:

Speaking of crossed threads, I'm pretty sure this one is meant for the CineD general chat. All the threads are blending!

lol holy poo poo, yeah.

THE STARS ARE GOING OUT

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

This might be the worst opinion I've ever heard

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

but Aliens reduces one of film's greatest monsters into cannon fodder that can be taken down by a few SMG bursts. That's lame as hell.

It's just like how the end of Halloween ruined Halloween. Michel Myers was great, but then he just gets shot a few times by a dumpy psychiatrist. What kind of stalking, threatening innocent and weak, movie monster just gets taken out by a few bullet?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't have any problems with Aliens. It's not like the aliens can't be a hive of creatures instead of a single monster, and if you're going to have a battle with a hive you're going to have fatalities on both sides.

What, you wanted another near flawless win again?

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
Alien and Aliens are both pretty good movies.

That being said, I prefer Alien to Aliens and think that it is a more effective movie.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I have learned my lesson about posting while half-asleep. Anyways, Alien was an excellent horror movie while Aliens was an excellent action movie.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Speaking of which, is it true that the Master's magnificent entrance to the Scissor Sisters' "I Can't Decide" was cut from the DVDs due to rights issues? Because if so, that's a damned shame.

I've got the DVDs and it is still on there (thank God). I think I remember somebody saying it was cut from one of the versions put up on Netflix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Jerusalem posted:

I've got the DVDs and it is still on there (thank God). I think I remember somebody saying it was cut from one of the versions put up on Netflix?

Right, it wasn't on Netflix. It took me a while to find out what I was missing.

• Locked thread