Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

jkyuusai posted:

That is the laziest black people joke I've ever heard, and I grew up on a dairy farm in loving Mississippi.

Can it be lazy if it wasn't intended in the first place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So, a question for the thread:

Controller: Intel 6-Series SATA, running 12.9.4.1000 WHQL (I haven't found a 13.x that will 'take' on the Z68)

Drive on the left is a new 240GB Intel 730, drive on the right is a fully-updated 750GB 840 EVO. Both drives are sharing the same controller on an ASUS Z68 board, and I know they're using the Intel controller as I have the lovely Marvell one disabled via BIOS. Both drives are using brand new cables, as I'd been using the original ones for ~3 years and figured I'd swap them out.

The writes on the Intel should be ~200MB/sec higher than they are.

What I've tried:

Dropping back to 12.9.2 - benchmarks were more or less the same.
Reinstalled 12.9.4 - benchmarks didn't budge.
Changed SATA cables - no change in speed, and the fact that it's making 500+ on reads means the cable's fine.
Intel SSD Toolbox claims no newer firmware for my 730.
Yes, they're in the 6G ports, not the 3G.
Only thing I haven't tried yet is switching the ports to see if one's hosed and the other's fine, because moving a Gigabyte 970 is a pain.

I just cloned the boot drive to the 730 tonight from a ~3 year old 128GB 830 Pro.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 5, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nah you're right where you're supposed to be the 240GB version of the 730. Capacity can have a dramatic performance impact with SSDs, so don't look at 480GB reviews of the 730.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7803/intel-ssd-730-480gb-review (480GB review, but shows the 240GB specs lining up with yours on the first page)
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2014/03/07/intel-ssd-730-240gb-review/3
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/65972-intel-730-240gb-ssd-review-3.html

edit:
Yep you goofed.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 5, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Nah you're right where you're supposed to be the 240GB version of the 730. Capacity can have a dramatic performance impact with SSDs, so don't look at 480GB reviews of the 730.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7803/intel-ssd-730-480gb-review (480GB review, but shows the 240GB specs lining up with yours on the first page)
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage/2014/03/07/intel-ssd-730-240gb-review/3
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/65972-intel-730-240gb-ssd-review-3.html

edit:

Yep you goofed.

Didn't look at the 240's numbers. Welp. Still better than an HDD, and I trust a boot drive on MLC NAND since my 830's off-warranty in six days' time.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

So, my main drive (250GB EVO) is nearly full. I have been thinking of getting a 500GB to replace it, but Best Buy is selling the 250GB for $105 right now which is a steal. Would I see any huge performance difference running games off a second SSD provided the SATA speeds were the same on the MOBO?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I can buy the above SSD for $105 or I can get an intel 730 series 240 GB for $110, so the difference is close to negligible. Which one do I want?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Boris Galerkin posted:

I can buy the above SSD for $105 or I can get an intel 730 series 240 GB for $110, so the difference is close to negligible. Which one do I want?

You want the 840 EVO.

The 240GB Intel 730 has much slower writes.

If you were talking about the 480GB models, the performance is pretty close, but the 240GB is much slower.

Snood
Jul 5, 2006

I WILL SHOOT YOU AND I KNOW ROBOT KARATE

Rhaegar posted:

Has anyone got their Far Cry 4 codes yet? My 500gb evo has shipped but no code yet.

I ordered mine 250 EVO on Friday and got the drive on monday but still haven't received a code

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Rhaegar posted:

Has anyone got their Far Cry 4 codes yet? My 500gb evo has shipped but no code yet.

I got mine via email on 12/3 after ordering it 11/28.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Phetz posted:

I got mine via email on 12/3 after ordering it 11/28.

I had to ask Amazon support for one but they came through the next day.

Speaking of which, has anyone sold their key, or is it difficult to redeem? I don't really want another shooter, I'd rather have cash.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Harik posted:

I had to ask Amazon support for one but they came through the next day.

Speaking of which, has anyone sold their key, or is it difficult to redeem? I don't really want another shooter, I'd rather have cash.

Just sold one and have seen a bunch of others posted on SA MART. They are going for around $30.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

To activate it you need a "valid US address". EU person I sold mine to used a Walmart address and it worked.

horza
May 5, 2006
I'm thing of putting an SSD in mmy Early 2011 15" MBP, with the latest OSX. I saw that the 850 PRO is the best for the Mac in te OP, but it's more expensive per gigabyte.

Should I go with the Samsung 840 EVO 500gb or the 850 PRO 256gb? Also, will the nvidia chipset or whatever be a problem? Also, what software or settings should I change to ensure the SSD will maintain its performance? All I know so far is enable TRIM and overprovision 20%. Thanks in advanced!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

In layman's terms, does the 20% rule apply to the labeled capacity, e.g. 250GB or the "Windows" capacity (232GB)? Yes, I know about binary vs. decimal, etc. Just looking for an answer.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

horza posted:

I'm thing of putting an SSD in mmy Early 2011 15" MBP, with the latest OSX. I saw that the 850 PRO is the best for the Mac in te OP, but it's more expensive per gigabyte.

Should I go with the Samsung 840 EVO 500gb or the 850 PRO 256gb?

Do you need the space? Then the EVO. Otherwise, the 850.

quote:

Also, will the nvidia chipset or whatever be a problem?

If it's a 2011 you don't have an nvidia chipset.

quote:

Also, what software or settings should I change to ensure the SSD will maintain its performance? All I know so far is enable TRIM and overprovision 20%. Thanks in advanced!

If you enable TRIM you don't really need to overprovision.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
To add a data point, the 500 GB 840 EVO I ordered during the black Friday sale at Amazon has the fixed firmware. (EXT0CB6Q, right? There's a newer EXT0BB6Q but googling says the former is OK.)

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

ChiralCondensate posted:

To add a data point, the 500 GB 840 EVO I ordered during the black Friday sale at Amazon has the fixed firmware. (EXT0CB6Q, right? There's a newer EXT0BB6Q but googling says the former is OK.)

I asked this before and was told no, it probably wasn't manufactured recently enough to have the current firmware and should be updated (using the Samsung performance restoration tool).

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The one with the C is the new firmware that fixed the performance degradation for old data though and the B one is the version before that.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Flipperwaldt posted:

The one with the C is the new firmware that fixed the performance degradation for old data though and the B one is the version before that.

You would think B comes before C but on

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

BB6Q is listed as the latest ("Dec. '13").

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

The new firmware is exclusively available through the restoration tool if you don't have it already. It was released somewhere this year.

I also checked against what firmware my drive is running and the restoration tool is the first thing I ran when I got it. It's the C one.

e. It also says that on the page you linked btw. Under the heading of the restoration tool.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 6, 2014

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

ChiralCondensate posted:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

Since the performance restoration tool was released in October 2014 and includes the firmware update that isn't downloadable separately, I believe that EXT0CB6Q is the latest, you just can't get it from their website without the performance restoration tool. There must be a technical reason why they want it to be available but only with the performance resto tool or on a brand new unused disk.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

ChiralCondensate posted:

This threw me for a loop too, I can understand if they needed the firmware update within a utility, but it should still have been listed with firmware updates, or at least a note there.

250 Evo I ordered last weekend had the new (C) firmware.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rexxed posted:

Since the performance restoration tool was released in October 2014 and includes the firmware update that isn't downloadable separately, I believe that EXT0CB6Q is the latest, you just can't get it from their website without the performance restoration tool. There must be a technical reason why they want it to be available but only with the performance resto tool or on a brand new unused disk.

Got it, thanks. (And glad I don't have to do anything.)

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Is it dumb to do this performance restoration tool on an empty drive? I wanted to do it first before cloning my old drive onto it and risking it getting corrupted or something.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Bleh Maestro posted:

Is it dumb to do this performance restoration tool on an empty drive? I wanted to do it first before cloning my old drive onto it and risking it getting corrupted or something.

It'd probably actually go faster if you do it on an empty drive.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bleh Maestro posted:

No, because it also updates the firmware. Doesn't matter when you do it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

isndl posted:

Confirming this. Do it before you put data on it or you're looking at a 30+ minute process.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Did it while it was fresh, still took about 10-15 mins but sounds like it was faster than it would have been. Cloning my old drive now. Replacing a 240gb Sandisk Extreme and posting it on SA Mart if anyone wants it.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

My friend's PSU failed while we were running the tool. Good thing it was a new Windows install because it completely wiped the drive.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Sounds like you're pretty lucky it didnt happen during the firmware update section, which would probably brick the drive for good.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
So I just migrated over to the Evo and on first boot everything was fine and then i shut down and the next boot i got fatal errors on steam and itunes. Restarted and no errors. Should I be concerned? How should I go about checking it?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Bleh Maestro posted:

So I just migrated over to the Evo and on first boot everything was fine and then i shut down and the next boot i got fatal errors on steam and itunes. Restarted and no errors. Should I be concerned? How should I go about checking it?

'Fatal errors' is a little vague. Do you have the exact wording or a screenshot? What does CrystalDiskInfo show for the SMART attributes?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

isndl posted:

It took 15 minutes on an empty 500gb drive. No idea what the hell it was doing. I had to quick format NTFS, wouldn't work without that.

How do I migrate / recreate the rescue partition? That's an incredibly useful 4gb when you gently caress up windows. Samsung migration (slow, btw: 91mb/s ssd to larger ssd) only moved the windows partition.

Sleepfin
Sep 2, 2008
Since I was happy to jump on boat over a ago, I bought an OCZ which unsurprisingly crashed and burned. Been trying to contact OCZ(which is apparently gone) for replacement or such but no answer. Has anyone managed to get anything back, through Toshiba perhaps?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Sleepfin posted:

Since I was happy to jump on boat over a ago, I bought an OCZ which unsurprisingly crashed and burned. Been trying to contact OCZ(which is apparently gone) for replacement or such but no answer. Has anyone managed to get anything back, through Toshiba perhaps?

You may be poo poo out of luck, depending on the drive you have:
http://ocz.com/consumer/support/warranty

quote:

Please note, OCZ Storage Solutions - A Toshiba Group Company is not the same organization as OCZ Technology Group. Through bankruptcy proceedings, Toshiba Corporation has acquired substantially all the assets from OCZ Technology Group but most liabilities, including outstanding warranties, have been excluded from that acquisition. As a result, OCZ Storage Solutions is only able to provide warranty support for certain products, as follows:

OCZ Storage Solutions is able to provide warranty support for the “OCZ Technology” SATA based Vector, Vertex Series SSDs, RevoDrive, RevoDrive 3/3X2 PCIe SSDs as well as any products launched by OCZ Storage Solutions on or after January 22nd, 2014. OCZ Storage Solutions is also able to provide warranty support for the “OCZ Technology” Agility SSD Series products that are still within a current warranty period until Jan 22, 2015.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Samsung 850 Evo Reviews are incoming

http://anandtech.com/show/8747/samsung-ssd-850-evo-review
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/samsung_850_evo_ssd_review,1.html

Pricing was posted
Guru3D
120GB - $119.99
250GB - $174.99
500GB - $309.99
1TB - $574.99

Anandtech
120GB - $100
250GB - $150
500GB - $270
1TB - $500

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 8, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I'm sure the pricing will get worked down soon enough, but that's pretty rough right out the gate.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Hace posted:

I'm sure the pricing will get worked down soon enough, but that's pretty rough right out the gate.

Please define rough in this context.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

deimos posted:

Please define rough in this context.

I'm guessing he meant expensive since they are running close to the price of a pro drive. Newegg sent out an email just about the 850 EVO specifically:
http://promotions.newegg.com/samsung/14-6480/index.html

Their pricing is currently:
120gb - $89.99
250gb - $139.99
500gb - $249.99
1tb - $469.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
The Anand review indicates it has excellent performance consistency - this makes it good for OS X?

• Locked thread