Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Okay, I get it now. I understand what's going on. It took over 10 hours of playtime but I've got the basics down. I managed to become King of Ireland after a long and bloody 50 years, and I'm happy leaving that game there. We have no major claims elsewhere and I think King Donnagal Hedonist Heretic Coward the 1st will go down in history well enough.

What's a good next step? I'm a little sick of Ireland at this point. I tried a game as the King of Croatia and found it boring, and Norway was just way too complicated with the war vs. England and the obviously-about-to-go-bugfuck succession issues with an elderly king. I quite liked the 'independent slowly carving out an empire' kinda thing.

If you like that kind of slow consolidation of power then most of your options outside of Ireland in 1066 will be vassals, not kings. Pick a count or duke in France or the HRE that doesn't have all that much land and start from there. Eventually you can make a bid for independence or the crown or whatever to become a king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Edison was a dick posted:

My Sušureyjar game has been fun.

That is indeed the de-jure map mode, and Ivar lived to 93.
Ahaha, man, I wish there was some more random poo poo going on to let tiny stuff like that hit the game over. About the only one I know that really does all that much is the Spawn of Satan one; manually triggering it for some tiny gently caress-off counts can lead to good stuff.

Probad posted:

I ran a Crimean republic once, but I had to huddle under the Byzantine Empire almost as soon as I flipped the switch because becoming a republic tanked my armies and the neighboring Tengri were all too willing to pile on.
Yea, thought as much. Could you try going under the local Tengri king instead? I mean, aside from troop numbers, steppe tribals are now laughable poo poo because of how they don't actually get enough horses to really do dick. Certainly would be easier to kick them over once you've got mad retinues yourself.

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Yea, thought as much. Could you try going under the local Tengri king instead? I mean, aside from troop numbers, steppe tribals are now laughable poo poo because of how they don't actually get enough horses to really do dick. Certainly would be easier to kick them over once you've got mad retinues yourself.

I probably could have, but this was a while ago so I just went with the Orthodox guys after I converted to Orthodox to form the republic.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I had just won the First Crusades through a series of lucky assists to the Pope's army as Ireland, and now had more lands than I had vassals to endow with said lands. 4 years later, I die, my daughter takes over, loses a long war against a revolt and a jihad, but because I left a duke in power in the middle east, I am now the beautiful Queen of Jerusalem, defender of the faith, living in the verdant hills of Mumu.

I love this loving game so much

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Ofaloaf posted:

Aw goddamnit, I want that 480 Migration Period mod to work out, but between the "We won't release it until it's perfect! :byodood:" attitude they've been carrying on with (moderated by their vow to release by the end of this year, or maybe this winter) and their indecision over certain integral parts of CK2 modding- despite the AARs and observer games they've been running, they still haven't sorted out how tech levels are going to work, especially since they seem sure they want to keep the end date for the mod at 1453- I fear that project will never actually be released.

If it's any consolation it's times like these that get me into the mood to continue work on my Islam mod. Also thank you for pointing out the tech issue in that thread because that had totally slipped my mind. Of course my mod's timeline is from 610 - 769 so I have a lot less to worry about.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Achievement unlocked - 'Seven Centuries'. All hail Karloman XXV

...I am never playing a complete ironman game again and I hope there is never another timeline expansion because that was about 50 hours' worth of CKII, despite having an unassailable and impossibly stable empire for 500+ years.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

I would also suggest this if you wanna do Muslims:

Medina and San'aa are really good duchies in their own right and you could probably play a whole game with that as your demesne.

HOWEVER

The Arabian Peninsula is some of the shittiest terrain in the game outside of the extreme NE steppe provinces, and doing anything at all takes forever and a half. I quit my Rassid game because I got sick of spending, no poo poo, a full year getting my troops together every time I wanted to go punch the Caliph in the nose.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

After a really long time of pretty much just playing Irish dukes, I decided to pick a Holy Roman Count and I accidentally became Kaiser. I've been Kaiser for 3 generations or so, I formed the Empire of Italia and the Pope is my bitch.

Early on in the game, I formed the Kingdom of Jerusalem by winning a Crusade for that area. I'm now fighting the Caliphate's third Jihad for it.

The trouble is, at this point, I've blobbed so much that the Jihad is pretty much just a war against me. This means there's basically no allies who can help me and I must mobilise 60,000 soldiers to kill all the people trying to disrupt my little Gazan Reich.

How the gently caress do you manage 60k troops? Counting boats and poo poo to ship everyone over to the Middle East is really finickity and stupid and I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or something. I can tell them all to take a walk through the Byzantine Empire but half of them will die because of supply/attrition.

So how do I effectively fight this war? What obvious and intelligent things am I not doing to make the management of 60k troops easier?

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

What's the status of those big mods? Game of thrones, Elder Kings, Lux invicta and After the End? Of those, are any up to date with ck2 in a stable way?

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

Nobody Interesting posted:

After a really long time of pretty much just playing Irish dukes, I decided to pick a Holy Roman Count and I accidentally became Kaiser. I've been Kaiser for 3 generations or so, I formed the Empire of Italia and the Pope is my bitch.

Early on in the game, I formed the Kingdom of Jerusalem by winning a Crusade for that area. I'm now fighting the Caliphate's third Jihad for it.

The trouble is, at this point, I've blobbed so much that the Jihad is pretty much just a war against me. This means there's basically no allies who can help me and I must mobilise 60,000 soldiers to kill all the people trying to disrupt my little Gazan Reich.

How the gently caress do you manage 60k troops? Counting boats and poo poo to ship everyone over to the Middle East is really finickity and stupid and I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or something. I can tell them all to take a walk through the Byzantine Empire but half of them will die because of supply/attrition.

So how do I effectively fight this war? What obvious and intelligent things am I not doing to make the management of 60k troops easier?

break it into smaller armies. The Arabian interior is awful and cant handle all 60k troops in one provence, so might as well break em up into smaller 10-20k chunks before heading over. Remember that each boat represents 100 points of transport.

If push comes to shove, abandon Jerusalem. Pulling out and saving you resources for more favorable fights is totally a good idea.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Quantumfate posted:

What's the status of those big mods? Game of thrones, Elder Kings, Lux invicta and After the End? Of those, are any up to date with ck2 in a stable way?
The Github version of After the End's been working stably with 2.2.1 for a while now, but the Mediafire download is still set for 2.1.6. We're aiming to release a 2.2.1 v.0.3 Mediafire release soon (this weekend, I think), and then start getting the Github version working with the current beta.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Nobody Interesting posted:

Not so obvious, and gamey as gently caress, but one trick would be to grant your major European vassals a county each in the east. Then you can raise their entire levy from the Levant and not worry about boats at all.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

paranoid randroid posted:

The Arabian Peninsula is some of the shittiest terrain in the game outside of the extreme NE steppe provinces, and doing anything at all takes forever and a half. I quit my Rassid game because I got sick of spending, no poo poo, a full year getting my troops together every time I wanted to go punch the Caliph in the nose.

That bad, huh? I noticed it was taking me a full year to get troops from one end of Cumania to the other just to holy war one of the fucks standing in the way of the Most Serene Jewish Republic of Tartaria.

As interesting as the eastern third of the map is, I think I might stick mostly to Europe in future. The Spanish Caliphates look interesting, at least.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dareon posted:

That bad, huh? I noticed it was taking me a full year to get troops from one end of Cumania to the other just to holy war one of the fucks standing in the way of the Most Serene Jewish Republic of Tartaria.

As interesting as the eastern third of the map is, I think I might stick mostly to Europe in future. The Spanish Caliphates look interesting, at least.

Yeah this was my biggest annoyance in my Hashimid Shia Caliphate game - just getting around the territory takes FOREVER except around Jerusalem. Plus the fact that the worst spots are inland (and the fact that the Suez canal didn't exist in the middle ages) means that you can't even speed it up by taking boats instead.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I would also suggest this if you wanna do Muslims:

The Hashimids in 867. You have buckets of holy war targets, but you will eventually have to tackle one of the big dogs in either the Tulunids or the Abbisids. The Abbisids are technically your dejure liege so you also learn to get good use out of your chancellor for things other than getting a claim once every century or a crash course in how to dismantle someone from the inside. :v:

On top of that, you are within spitting distance of Tigris, Aksum and Baghdad, three 7 holding counties. Tigris is the best individual county, with only 1 city and a few temples. Muslims can hold temples and fill the rest with castles and milk the gently caress out of that county. Bagdhad is the best duchy in the game with 6 counties. counties.

Aksum on the other hand is by far the easiest of the three to get being in the big blob of Christians to in Ethiopia. Only a 3 province duchy and having 3 temples, 1 city and 2 castles makes it not quite as powerful as Tigris, but still a massive powerhouse. The biggest downside to Aksum though is it being a Christian province. You are going to have to deal with some hefty penalties for a while before it's in full force.

Its a bit of tense game with The Abbisids always waiting in the wings to gobble up your Arabian holdings and the Tulnuids always able to carve into the Christians before you can. But kicking the Abbisids is a sublime joy you will come to understand.

As others have said, playing there is awful. Also, Baghdad is not a coastal duchy and so it's strictly inferior to several duchies which are, like Brugge or Sicily for example. Where your cities can have the series of ports to generate even more money, and can profit from the trade post income bonus. Also, you have ships to quickly ferry your troops nearly everywhere, and in the case of Sicily you can only be invaded by land from one single direction. And of course, if you play a merchant republic then Baghdad is as bad as the worst duchy in the Russian steppe since you need a coastal province as your capital.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

It's awful, and Russia is just as bad. It's why I can never play in those regions in CK or EU, it just takes too long to march anywhere.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

SeaTard posted:

It's awful, and Russia is just as bad. It's why I can never play in those regions in CK or EU, it just takes too long to march anywhere.

On the other hand, poo poo-gently caress godawful terrain is the only thing that saved my Karen dynasty Zoroastrian empire from the Mongol hordes. While I ultimately lost the first Ilkhanate invasion, it took them over 30 years to force my surrender and lost almost of their troops in the process. Taking the land back was trivial.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That and attrition. Nothing pisses me off more than taking 5,000 soldiers to a county that has like 500 dudes, and winding up not being able to siege a holding because attrition killed too many off. 100.00 supply limit. :wtc:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Russian attrition.png.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love that graphic.

(For those that don't know what it represents, it's a graph representing Napoleon's army during his Russian campaign - the Tan line is his troops on the way in, the black on the way out. Thickness of the line is the size of the army).

One thing that bugs me about the really nasty high attrition areas in CK2 though is that the people that actually live there are just as vulnerable to it as invaders. They might not suffer from the Pagan homeland penalty, but the cap still kicks in pretty low compared to most other territories. You'd think steppe cultures would have some kind of bonus for adapting to that environment.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fuligin posted:

Enlil himself seems pretty talented and levelheaded, but he's surrounded by an echo chamber of Paradoxian inanity and hanger-ons. I want to believe...
Well, there's currently some sort of voting AAR being set up on the Paradox forums for that mod, which includes this shot:

and I could've sworn that he backed away from the hundreds-of-extra-provinces-in-North-Africa idea when people said that was dumb, but I guess not? There are apparently plans to show desertification somehow, but... augh, I want to believe, but it's a struggle.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

If it's any consolation it's times like these that get me into the mood to continue work on my Islam mod. Also thank you for pointing out the tech issue in that thread because that had totally slipped my mind. Of course my mod's timeline is from 610 - 769 so I have a lot less to worry about.
If you want any help one way or another with that project, let me know. :)

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I know I've probably made this clear already, Ofaloaf, but I just want to say again how gay I am for After the End. I reached burnout on CK2 last week but as soon as Way of Life drops and AoE is updated to be compatible with it, I'm jumping right back in.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Torrannor posted:

As others have said, playing there is awful. Also, Baghdad is not a coastal duchy and so it's strictly inferior to several duchies which are, like Brugge or Sicily for example. Where your cities can have the series of ports to generate even more money, and can profit from the trade post income bonus. Also, you have ships to quickly ferry your troops nearly everywhere, and in the case of Sicily you can only be invaded by land from one single direction. And of course, if you play a merchant republic then Baghdad is as bad as the worst duchy in the Russian steppe since you need a coastal province as your capital.

Never, in any situation, ever buy your own boats. Give your vassals those super costal duchies so you don't have to pay a cent for the boats.

The big thing you're missing is that the three super counties I listed give you metric poo poo tons of dudes. When you are getting just poo poo rolling, being able to raise 10k troops within 20 years of the old gods start from just your demesne alone is absurdly powerful.

Plus Merchant republics are pretty boring, so whatever. :v:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Merchant republics have way more interesting internal politics. Feudal gets old fast, but hopefully the new DLC will change that.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I haven't played/posted for a while, but um, my newest attempt has resulted in a first...

:stare:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I haven't played/posted for a while, but um, my newest attempt has resulted in a first...

:stare:

Username/post combo.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

an ugly homosexual incestual pedophile. Quite the combination :golfclap:

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Merchant republics have way more interesting internal politics. Feudal gets old fast, but hopefully the new DLC will change that.

I wish I could see these interesting internal politics. The only real difference between a Merchant Republic and a Feudal Kingdom is having to press a plus sign until your chosen heir is cooler than everyone else's.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Ofaloaf posted:

The Github version of After the End's been working stably with 2.2.1 for a while now, but the Mediafire download is still set for 2.1.6. We're aiming to release a 2.2.1 v.0.3 Mediafire release soon (this weekend, I think), and then start getting the Github version working with the current beta.

I got nothing to do this weekend, ah man. :f5: Just want to say your mod is the best out of all the Crusader Kings mods out there. Beats Game of Thrones stuff hands down. Just down over-swamp it with pointless events like they do and I will be forever in awe of your work.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I wish I could see these interesting internal politics. The only real difference between a Merchant Republic and a Feudal Kingdom is having to press a plus sign until your chosen heir is cooler than everyone else's.

Family rivalries and wars over trade posts.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Family rivalries and wars over trade posts.

Wars over those trade posts my patricians never build. Yep.

Family rivalries end up being a non issue, because what are my rival families gonna do? burn down a trade post? It's not like they are going to be able to start something when I have all the money to buy mercs.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SeaTard posted:

That sounds really bad; event popups in the middle of battles would make wars take forever.

Maybe if it was mostly just duels and even then it had to be over a claim or between rivals or vendetta related and was actually very rare in battle.
Also if if most of the time the duel would end with the loser yielding and losing prestige and being taken prisoner if in battle and death and serious injury were rather rare.

Also if traits played a part. Like if you were deceitful you could pay the other dudes squire to blunt his weapon, if you were gregarious you could talk your way out of the duel without losing prestige or if you were wroth or cruel you couldn't let your opponent yield.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Excelzior posted:

an ugly homosexual incestual pedophile. Quite the combination :golfclap:

If it was his son rather than his brother I think we'd hit peak CK2 with that image.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If it was his son rather than his brother I think we'd hit peak CK2 with that image.

There's still time for that, obviously.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Is that a de jure map? I'm a fan of acknowledging that the Garamantes existed but jfc that is absurd.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Is that a de jure map? I'm a fan of acknowledging that the Garamantes existed but jfc that is absurd.

It's the only way to historically depict the might of the Garamantes against the Byzantines.

The only thing worrying is that Serbia's provincial density is so low so that its might is improperly depicted.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Okay seriously what the hell is going on with the Mediterranean heads.

Here we see some sort of hideous hunk of flesh with hosed up eyes:

10 years later said hunk of flesh has progressed to the middle-age portraits and now resembles an actual human being, though his skin is now grey:

Has it always been like this and I just haven't noticed? Or have Paradox started playing around with Mediterranean heads?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I'm playing the newest version of the GoT mod and there's seriously never a week of peace. There are basically never civil wars within Westeros because the crown and the various independent (thanks to the megawar system) high lordships are fighting the 56th Iron Throne-Tyroshi Embargo War. It's just nonstop embargo wars for absolutely no reason.

Is there a way I can disable embargo wars from happening at all, or at the very least tweak the mod so they occur at their normal vanilla frequency (ie: rarely)?

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

BBJoey posted:

Okay seriously what the hell is going on with the Mediterranean heads.

They've always been like that. I never thought they were that bad honestly. I mean compared to some of the better portraits they not great, but I've never seen them as super hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Drone posted:

So I'm playing the newest version of the GoT mod and there's seriously never a week of peace. There are basically never civil wars within Westeros because the crown and the various independent (thanks to the megawar system) high lordships are fighting the 56th Iron Throne-Tyroshi Embargo War. It's just nonstop embargo wars for absolutely no reason.

Is there a way I can disable embargo wars from happening at all, or at the very least tweak the mod so they occur at their normal vanilla frequency (ie: rarely)?

To disable them entirely, go to the defines.lua file in C:\Users\Yourname\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings II\Mod\A Game of Thrones\Common, search for Ask_to_Embargo_Interaction_Enabled, and change the 1 to a 0.

• Locked thread