Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I setup some mods almost a year ago and did a play through. I recently started playing again with limited tweaking of my now year old mod setup. I think I updated skse and added frostfall and that was it. Everything was just fine for several days, but as of last night my game crashes constantly, every 10 minutes or so and half the time when I try to quick save. I haven't made any changes, I'm not sure what could be suddenly causing this. I've gone and updated the unofficial patches as I see they're out of date, but that didn't seem to help. I did just recently run into the first assassination squad from Dragonborn, which is my first interaction with that dlc, but that's the only thing I can think of that's changed in the last 24 hours. Any idea why this is suddenly happening now?

Edit: Apparently the flora respawn mod was doing it. I looked into updating the mod but apparently the latest version will only work on a brand new game or something? gently caress it, I don't need that mod that badly.

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

counterfeitsaint posted:

I setup some mods almost a year ago and did a play through. I recently started playing again with limited tweaking of my now year old mod setup. I think I updated skse and added frostfall and that was it. Everything was just fine for several days, but as of last night my game crashes constantly, every 10 minutes or so and half the time when I try to quick save. I haven't made any changes, I'm not sure what could be suddenly causing this. I've gone and updated the unofficial patches as I see they're out of date, but that didn't seem to help. I did just recently run into the first assassination squad from Dragonborn, which is my first interaction with that dlc, but that's the only thing I can think of that's changed in the last 24 hours. Any idea why this is suddenly happening now?

Edit: Apparently the flora respawn mod was doing it. I looked into updating the mod but apparently the latest version will only work on a brand new game or something? gently caress it, I don't need that mod that badly.
2.0 (not 2.1) will work fine on existing games, but anyway I'm having a hard time seeing how Flora Respawn Fix is causing your game to crash. At any rate uninstalling the thing on an existing game is going to make any flora you've already harvested disappear for good, and also leave a bunch of orphan scripts in your save game. Not supported or recommended.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Kilroy posted:

2.0 (not 2.1) will work fine on existing games, but anyway I'm having a hard time seeing how Flora Respawn Fix is causing your game to crash. At any rate uninstalling the thing on an existing game is going to make any flora you've already harvested disappear for good, and also leave a bunch of orphan scripts in your save game. Not supported or recommended.

Well that's just loving lovely, nothing like a mod that keeps on giving, even after it's been uninstalled.

I don't know why it causes the crash either, but I turned it off, and haven't had a single crash since. I'm guessing the version I have now is 2.0, since 2.0 came out October 2013, and I originally set this up in December 2013.

What if i were to wait two weeks in game for everything to reset/respawn, uninstall 2.0, then install 2.1, would that work?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

counterfeitsaint posted:

Well that's just loving lovely, nothing like a mod that keeps on giving, even after it's been uninstalled.

I don't know why it causes the crash either, but I turned it off, and haven't had a single crash since. I'm guessing the version I have now is 2.0, since 2.0 came out October 2013, and I originally set this up in December 2013.

What if i were to wait two weeks in game for everything to reset/respawn, uninstall 2.0, then install 2.1, would that work?
Dude, heaps of mods are like that, due to the way Skyrim does scripting. It's the whole reason Savetool was made (which you can use here to clean your savegame, but harvested flora is still going to go away). And you're warned in the readme as well. Not sure what else you want me to do.

You shouldn't upgrade to 2.1 on an existing game. Waiting for things to respawn won't make a difference. But, you don't need to upgrade anyway. The only difference between them is 2.0 has some extra things to make it backward compatible with 1.x.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm going through the process of a clean Skyrim install to give Perkus Maximus a try.

I think the only thing that annoys me about Steam is that their workshop system doesn't allow ludicrously large files and I can't get the unofficial patches through it anymore and instead have to keep them up to date myself.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

LLSix posted:

I'm going through the process of a clean Skyrim install to give Perkus Maximus a try.

I think the only thing that annoys me about Steam is that their workshop system doesn't allow ludicrously large files and I can't get the unofficial patches through it anymore and instead have to keep them up to date myself.

Thats actually a good thing because the workshops blindly updating mods can break your save.

Anyhow, that said, crossposting from the awful/awesome mods thread:

That Ignorant Sap posted:

Skyrim, again. Holy poo poo.

Think this leans more toward the awesome part of the thread... I think it's a follower mod. Might have to try this one.
;-* :black101:

Installed.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I just discovered all my workshop subscriptions went away when I uninstalled. I don't even remember what half of them were. Oops. Wait, now they're back. Maybe because I started and saved a game???

LLSix fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 5, 2014

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

counterfeitsaint posted:

You're not imagining things. I remember driving myself crazy last year wondering why I kept crashing at the gates of Windhelm and it was indeed the Flora Respawn fix. Kill it and start over if you have to but rest easy once it's done.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Telamon posted:

You're not imagining things. I remember driving myself crazy last year wondering why I kept crashing at the gates of Windhelm and it was indeed the Flora Respawn fix. Kill it and start over if you have to but rest easy once it's done.

Yep, I was just outside Windhelm too.

I went to Whiterun with the mod turned off, then turned it back on again. I know at least some things are missing because my favorite hanging moss on the way up to Dragonsreach is now gone, but gently caress it, I don't care anymore. I'm not starting over again, I finally get destruction to 50 so I finally have some staying power. I don't need that many plants anyways. Luckily I don't plan to spend much time around Windhelm, until I show up eventually to reclaim it for the Dominion puppet emperor.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
My only guess is you both have a mod which deletes some flora around Windhelm, loaded before FRF, which is causing problems when 1.x tries to modify that deleted object. That's really speculative, though. At any rate, I've been through the gates of Windhelm dozens of times with 1.x and 2.x both, and did not have any issue with stability, nor do I recall any mention of this in the comment thread.

*shrugs*

So yeah, please don't use Flora Respawn Fix. But don't bother complaining that uninstalling isn't supported, since it's clearly stated in the readme, and the issues with uninstalling script-heavy mods are well-known. You could make use of the save cleaner tool though.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Kilroy posted:

My only guess is you both have a mod which deletes some flora around Windhelm, loaded before FRF, which is causing problems when 1.x tries to modify that deleted object. That's really speculative, though. At any rate, I've been through the gates of Windhelm dozens of times with 1.x and 2.x both, and did not have any issue with stability, nor do I recall any mention of this in the comment thread.

*shrugs*

So yeah, please don't use Flora Respawn Fix. But don't bother complaining that uninstalling isn't supported, since it's clearly stated in the readme, and the issues with uninstalling script-heavy mods are well-known. You could make use of the save cleaner tool though.

I've been meaning to ask you, when using Papyrus Data Transfer, it shows that the FloraRespawnScript has by far the most instance of any script (24,394 instances), followed by IncreasedSpawns. These numbers continue to grow, so I'm wondering what effect this has on a save. I'm not experiencing and unusual amount of instability, nor am I blaming FRF for anything, so this is mostly just curiosity. As the author of FRF I figured you'd have some experience with scripts like this. Is there a limit to how many instances a save can have before it starts to implode, or can it go on indefinately? I've only ever seen my total instances on a save go down once, and that was after doing a 30-day cell reset.

Edit: I should mention that this is a long running game, so that number didn't start out that high, but has gown slowly and steadily.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I also had to axe Flora Respawn Fix from my game a while back. Also another culprit I found for crashes with the save game tool was Dime's Quickstart, crashed my game about 20 hours in =\

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Gyshall posted:

I also had to axe Flora Respawn Fix from my game a while back. Also another culprit I found for crashes with the save game tool was Dime's Quickstart, crashed my game about 20 hours in =\

I had the same problem with Dime's, but killing the HelgenRandomSoundScript.psc script will fix it.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Alasyre posted:

Is there a limit to how many instances a save can have before it starts to implode, or can it go on indefinately?
Don't get confused between all instances in a save game, instances with scripts attached to them, and instances with scripts attached to them that are running. That tool is telling you the number in the second category, but really they are not any more problematic for a save file than the first category (the first category being all a save essentially is). The second number is not really important unless a large number of them start consuming VM resources (i.e. executing), which can quickly become a problem. Fortunately, FRF doesn't do this by a stretch, see below:

For reference, I have a 113-hour save with 17033 instances. This number will refer to the number of flora your game has to keep track of, including flora created by FRF in addition to static flora. Every time you visit a cell, all the respawning objects in that cell (not just flora - everything that can get reset) are going into your save file so they can respawn when the cell resets. For reasons that aren't clear to me, flora (and presumably other objects too) in cells you haven't visited will also sometimes end up in your save file. For example, I can start a new game directly in KilkreathRuins03 and immediately save. When I examine this save file, I do see the 4 flora in that cell, but I also see 247 other references under FloraRespawnFix script, mostly from other 3rd party mods but also from vanilla as well. Like, for some reason some flora in Cidhna mine showed up. But, bear in mind these references to static flora will go in your save file regardless of whether you have FRF installed. It's just that, since they also have scripts attached to them now, they are showing up in your report.

So the two important things you will want to know, which will affect performance, are how many scripts are actually running from FRF at any given time, and how many entries are waiting in the event queue? The answer the the first question is usually "zero". All the script does is place a new object and delete the old one. This happens very quickly. During that brief period of time (several milliseconds or so each time a harvested plant respawns) FRF is using the VM. At all other times the VM is doing something else and FRF scripts are not running. As for how many FRF entries are in the event queue, first a bit of background: Skyrim keeps track of when to trigger the next OnUpdateGameTime event using something called a priority queue, and thereby run script events whenever they're supposed to run according to whatever logic put down in that script. Every time you harvest a plant, Flora Respawn Fix will create an entry in this queue, which event will then fire after iHoursToRespawnCell have passed. So, the number of FRF events waiting in that queue at any time, is equal to the number of plants you've harvested in the last iHoursToRespawnCell in-game hours. This event queue is used across all scripts in the game, and any basic implementation of a priority queue will be able to handle, regardless of your hardware, pretty much anything we can throw at it from a Papyrus script (that is not malicious, anyway).

Finally, third thing, is that the static flora, once they're in your save game, are going to stay there for good. It's not possible to delete these, only disable them (which FRF does). And again, this is not due to FRF - they will be there even without FRF, they just won't have scripts attached to them and so won't show up in a Savetool or PapyrusDataTransfer report. But, they are there in the file regardless. However, the flora created by FRF, will eventually get garbage collected. I have confirmed this by harvesting a flora, waiting for it to respawn, looking at the reference ID of the new object both in-game as well as in Savetool, then harvesting it again and waiting for it to respawn again. After that, I can no longer PRID that reference ID, and I don't see the reference ID from Savetool, either. So, it's gone.

Anyhow, Sheson's DynDOLOD mod will add over 15,000 such script references to the game right from the start on a new game. So the number you've got there, while high due to the nature of my mod, is not unheard of.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
So, are any of those combat rework mods like Duel, Deadly Combat and the like actually any good? I've heard mixed reviews.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Gyshall posted:

Alright, so that's three, and googling around I can see that while the problem didn't affect everyone (or at least they didn't notice), it did happen too often. FWIW, I haven't got such complaints in the comment thread for a long time, and I personally do not have issues with stability (~100 plugins). I noticed that most of the hits were from around 12-18 months ago when it was on 1.x, and I don't see as many after that. Hopefully there was some issue with 1.x which had a larger footprint by far than 2.1, and which was causing issues for some people. If 2.1 is affected by it as well I haven't noticed, though naturally if there was a problem there I would certainly like to know what it is.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Does Skyrim make any crash logs or anything that might be useful?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

counterfeitsaint posted:

Hahahhahhahhahhahhhhhaaaahhahahhahahhahahaaahhaahahahhahah....

Oh to be innocent again.

Kilroy posted:

Don't get confused between all instances in a save game, instances with scripts attached to them, and instances with scripts attached to them that are running. That tool is telling you the number in the second category, but really they are not any more problematic for a save file than the first category (the first category being all a save essentially is). The second number is not really important unless a large number of them start consuming VM resources (i.e. executing), which can quickly become a problem. Fortunately, FRF doesn't do this by a stretch, see below:

For reference, I have a 113-hour save with 17033 instances. This number will refer to the number of flora your game has to keep track of, including flora created by FRF in addition to static flora. Every time you visit a cell, all the respawning objects in that cell (not just flora - everything that can get reset) are going into your save file so they can respawn when the cell resets. For reasons that aren't clear to me, flora (and presumably other objects too) in cells you haven't visited will also sometimes end up in your save file. For example, I can start a new game directly in KilkreathRuins03 and immediately save. When I examine this save file, I do see the 4 flora in that cell, but I also see 247 other references under FloraRespawnFix script, mostly from other 3rd party mods but also from vanilla as well. Like, for some reason some flora in Cidhna mine showed up. But, bear in mind these references to static flora will go in your save file regardless of whether you have FRF installed. It's just that, since they also have scripts attached to them now, they are showing up in your report.

So the two important things you will want to know, which will affect performance, are how many scripts are actually running from FRF at any given time, and how many entries are waiting in the event queue? The answer the the first question is usually "zero". All the script does is place a new object and delete the old one. This happens very quickly. During that brief period of time (several milliseconds or so each time a harvested plant respawns) FRF is using the VM. At all other times the VM is doing something else and FRF scripts are not running. As for how many FRF entries are in the event queue, first a bit of background: Skyrim keeps track of when to trigger the next OnUpdateGameTime event using something called a priority queue, and thereby run script events whenever they're supposed to run according to whatever logic put down in that script. Every time you harvest a plant, Flora Respawn Fix will create an entry in this queue, which event will then fire after iHoursToRespawnCell have passed. So, the number of FRF events waiting in that queue at any time, is equal to the number of plants you've harvested in the last iHoursToRespawnCell in-game hours. This event queue is used across all scripts in the game, and any basic implementation of a priority queue will be able to handle, regardless of your hardware, pretty much anything we can throw at it from a Papyrus script (that is not malicious, anyway).

Finally, third thing, is that the static flora, once they're in your save game, are going to stay there for good. It's not possible to delete these, only disable them (which FRF does). And again, this is not due to FRF - they will be there even without FRF, they just won't have scripts attached to them and so won't show up in a Savetool or PapyrusDataTransfer report. But, they are there in the file regardless. However, the flora created by FRF, will eventually get garbage collected. I have confirmed this by harvesting a flora, waiting for it to respawn, looking at the reference ID of the new object both in-game as well as in Savetool, then harvesting it again and waiting for it to respawn again. After that, I can no longer PRID that reference ID, and I don't see the reference ID from Savetool, either. So, it's gone.

Anyhow, Sheson's DynDOLOD mod will add over 15,000 such script references to the game right from the start on a new game. So the number you've got there, while high due to the nature of my mod, is not unheard of.

I'm guessing it's because there's stuff in those cells thats also loaded at the beginning of the game, quest related and such.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 5, 2014

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm guessing it's because there's stuff in those cells thats also loaded at the beginning of the game, quest related and such.
Something like that. It's not because they're persistent. I've ruled that out.

And, yeah the Papyrus logs are usually not very helpful at figuring out why the game is crashing.

From what I can tell, people who are having problems with FRF have a game where they started with 1.x. Like I said earlier, my hypothesis is that a mod, or even one of the DLC or Skyrim.esm itself, marked as deleted some flora ref which FRF 1.x then happily tried to edit, and this would definitely crash the game iirc. It's exactly why there is that option in TES5Edit "Undelete and disable references" when cleaning a plugin, to avoid these sorts of issues. Since 2.1 doesn't edit any in-world references, it wouldn't have this problem.

The more I think about it the more convinced I am of it, although I will not be installing an old version of FRF and uncleaned versions of the DLC, just to confirm it :ohdear: I didn't check for such a condition in my TES5Edit script I wrote for making 1.x unfortunately, as I didn't have as much knowledge of Skyrim idiosyncrasies as I do now. It was a happier time.

If anyone is getting regular crashes on a game started with 2.1 though, please do let me know and tell me where it's occurring.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

As you may have guessed from Agents' reply: nope. If you google around you will find a lot of people that claim the papyrus log is an error log for the Skyrim executable and/or crash log. It's not.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Is there any reason why sometimes in dungeons the game gets really studdery in first person view only? Outside/In houses first person has no problems, but when I go in a dungeon and go in first person sometimes it just gets jumpy. Third person has no problems though, which is really weird.

It'll go away if I save/exit/reload, or if I leave the dungeon and come back.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Razakai posted:

So, are any of those combat rework mods like Duel, Deadly Combat and the like actually any good? I've heard mixed reviews.

I've been very happy with Ultimate Combat + High Level Enemies and turning difficulty down 1 or 2 notches from default.

I've used this combination for 40+ hours in my current playthrough and things have felt consistently right, I 1-shot stuff from stealth but if I get detected and have to fight face to face I will win but generally have to keep some potions/poisons handy and actually make an effort to dodge attacks and time my own attacks properly.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

So its the time of year for my annual Skyrim binge and I realized that I've never played a pure melee character. All of my previous characters have used at least bits and pieces of magic, but this time around I think I'm going for a orc brain-beater. Maybe with alchemy tacked on so I can at least make potions (I mean, alchemy isn't really magic, right?)

Any recommended mods? The stuff I'm running at the moment that would apply here are Immersive Armors/Weapons and Deadly Combat. Anything that would be good for an orc playthrough would be cool, not sure what exists.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

Kilroy posted:

Thanks for the information! To be clear, I wasn't suggesting the FRF is causing problems or doing anything it wasn't supposed to do. I assume a vanilla game would have similar script effects. I've never encountered any issues with FRF in my 200+ mod setup, for what it's worth.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Parker Lewis posted:

I've been very happy with Ultimate Combat + High Level Enemies and turning difficulty down 1 or 2 notches from default.

I've used this combination for 40+ hours in my current playthrough and things have felt consistently right, I 1-shot stuff from stealth but if I get detected and have to fight face to face I will win but generally have to keep some potions/poisons handy and actually make an effort to dodge attacks and time my own attacks properly.

Coincidentally, doing the same and liking it. I started with the difficulty at normal but like you, ended up turning it down a little to avoid hp sponge enemies from occurring too often. Works really well and it's nice to have a combat mod that isn't script-heavy.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

kedo posted:

So its the time of year for my annual Skyrim binge and I realized that I've never played a pure melee character. All of my previous characters have used at least bits and pieces of magic, but this time around I think I'm going for a orc brain-beater. Maybe with alchemy tacked on so I can at least make potions (I mean, alchemy isn't really magic, right?)

Alchemy is just a fancy elf word for "cooking". So, you know what to do...

Chef hat.

Barbarian Hero armor.

Axe - Warchief's Might is nice.

Large tattooed greenskin.

ORC ORC ORC ORC! :chef:

(Warchief's Might and Barbarian Hero armorset are from the Axestaff Weapons Pack and Immersive Armors, both from Hothtrooper44.)

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

Alasyre posted:

Thanks for the information! To be clear, I wasn't suggesting the FRF is causing problems or doing anything it wasn't supposed to do. I assume a vanilla game would have similar script effects. I've never encountered any issues with FRF in my 200+ mod setup, for what it's worth.

And my FRF game comment was forever ago and running 1.x to boot so don't hold that against anyone. Keep fighting the good fight, Kilroy.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
When using Wrye Bash should I use the tags that LOOT suggests? I'm still unclear of that's something that's mandatory or not.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

kedo posted:

Any recommended mods? The stuff I'm running at the moment that would apply here are Immersive Armors/Weapons and Deadly Combat. Anything that would be good for an orc playthrough would be cool, not sure what exists.

Depends on how much you want to play around with the no-magic bit. Some suggestions:

Perkus has a perk in the light armor skill tree that gives you 50% magic resistance when wearing all light armor in exchange for dropping your magic to 0. Haven't tried it.

Skyre Birthsigns rebalances things and one of the birthsigns is changed to increase stamina and health regen by 50%, but decrease magicka regen by the same amount.

Wintermyst has an enchantment that boosts all melee damage in exchange for, again, dropping your magic to 0. Haven't tried using that either.

SPERG has perks which grant magic resistance (which is important, but hard to come by if you don't go for enchanting) and also has some perks that make low-level armor more worthwhile. Can't use this one with Perkus though.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
SPERG also has a perk that gives you a second version of your racial power that you can use every 6 in-game hours. That's about 18 minutes real time. Together with the original version of the power, you could be berserker raging all over the place. And you can take it right at the start of the game.

I'd avoid Perkus Maximus for now. From reading about it and watching Gopher test it on his livestreams, it doesn't look all that great.

deathrat
May 25, 2010

deathrat posted:

So I'm working on a plugin and accompanying tool for Mod Organizer. I'll be posting a beta for it here within the next couple of days hopefully.

Basically what it does is it exports a profile to a single small file that can be imported into MO using the plugin, which you can then queue up the mods from the profile to download inside of MO. Currently it only supports automatically downloading mods that the person that exported still had the download file for, as MO currently does not save the File ID inside of the mod's meta.ini file, I talked to the author of Mod Organizer to see if he is willing to implement it though(or if he'll accept a pull request if I code it).

And I'll eventually be adding support for providing custom URLs for mods, so people can make cool modsets that don't rely solely on mods that are available on nexus.

Hopefully it'll fill the hole where people have been wanting to share their working mod setups without packaging gigabytes of data up or writing out a huge step by step guide.

I was also working on an ENB/DLL Manager plugin for Mod Organizer, but that's on the backburner until I get this in more of a working state.

Just finished up the first alpha version for this, it's probably horribly bug-ridden, and I'm posting this while sleep-deprived so I won't include any modsets with it yet(I'll try and post some tomorrow if no one here has come up with any by then). It's also a little bit circumstantial about how it works(need to have the mod's installers for it to export the file ID to the modset file, which is needed to do automatic handling in the importer. Although this will be fixed, albeit not retroactively, in the next MO version). Download is here. Let me know if any of you guys find any horrible bugs.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Praetorian Mage posted:

I'd avoid Perkus Maximus for now. From reading about it and watching Gopher test it on his livestreams, it doesn't look all that great.

I usually follow Gopher's Skyrim videos but these are hours of gameplay and I just don't have time for that. What are the big problems that show up?

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Anyone have any recommendations for player homes for necromancers?

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

I usually follow Gopher's Skyrim videos but these are hours of gameplay and I just don't have time for that. What are the big problems that show up?

Gopher's been having a hard time just getting the thing to work. He'll jump into the game and stats will be all wrong or perks will be bugged.

From what I've seen, there are quite a few perks that are simply game-breaking. The heavy armor tree has one perk that lets you knock down anyone by sprinting at them, with no cooldown or extra stamina cost or anything. There's another heavy armor perk that staggers anyone who hits you, every single time. There's a block perk that makes power bashes knock anyone down any time you use it. There's also a perk for one-handed weapons that knocks an enemy down if you hit them while they're attacking. I haven't tried it myself, but that one looks like you could just carry a dagger and knock down everyone. PerMa really likes knockdown effects, it seems.

I also think it looks a little too heavy on specialization. For example, you can't just take one perk to dual cast destruction spells. You have to take separate perks to dual cast fire, ice, and lightning individually. That just seems excessive. I'll admit I might be spoiled by SPERG only making me take one perk to dual cast everything, but separate dual casting perks within the same school feels like too much. I've heard it's the same for illusion, with separate perks for fear, frenzy, and calm spells.

Then there's the fact that you have to run the patcher whenever you install or uninstall a weapon, armor, or spell mod, and the patcher can take as long as an hour to run. It's a lot of hassle.

Praetorian Mage fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 6, 2014

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Praetorian Mage posted:

Gopher's been having a hard time just getting the thing to work. He'll jump into the game and stats will be all wrong or perks will be bugged.

If you have a minimalist modlist, you really wont have as much of an issue with that.

quote:

From what I've seen, there are quite a few perks that are simply game-breaking. The heavy armor tree has one perk that lets you knock down anyone by sprinting at them, with no cooldown or extra stamina cost or anything.

Bull's Rush is fun as hell. :D

quote:

Then there's the fact that you have to run the patcher whenever you install or ininstall a weapon, armor, or spell mod, and the patcher can take as long as an hour to run. It's a lot of hassle.

Oh, it's even more fun than that, my friend. You're only supposed to run the patcher once per save. If you run it again, you'll break poo poo, because for some ungodly reason T3ndo broke/ignored/disabled the SkyProc functionality that preserves FormIDs between patcher runs. LtSmash was laughing about it in the Awful Mods thread.

PerMa is fun, but should be considered a Beta right now at best.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Praetorian Mage posted:

I also think it looks a little too heavy on specialization. For example, you can't just take one perk to dual cast destruction spells. You have to take separate perks to dual cast fire, ice, and lightning individually. That just seems excessive. I'll admit I might be spoiled by SPERG only making me take one perk to dual cast everything, but separate dual casting perks within the same school feels like too much. I've heard it's the same for illusion, with separate perks for fear, frenzy, and calm spells.

This is why I gave up on SkyRe and switched to SPERG. Every drat thing needed to be parceled out and seperated and it just got annoying after awhile.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks for the recommendations!

Praetorian Mage posted:

SPERG also has a perk that gives you a second version of your racial power that you can use every 6 in-game hours. That's about 18 minutes real time. Together with the original version of the power, you could be berserker raging all over the place. And you can take it right at the start of the game.

This may or may not have already been the plan :black101:

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
I don't know if it's mentioned anywhere on the actual PerMa page, but it's probably wise to use the Elys uncapper file that comes with PerMa Compatibility Patches, so you get more perks per level, which makes some of those superfluous perks easier to take. It also makes weird changes to attributes per level and skill advancement speeds. Here's the perks per level settings:

2=2
3=1.75
7=1.5
10=1.25
20=2
21=1.25
40=2
41=1.25
60=2
61=1.25
81=0.50

If you thought SPERG's uncapper settings were confusing...

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

If you have a minimalist modlist, you really wont have as much of an issue with that.
Well, I have over 200 mods, and I imagine a lot of other people have big modlists as well.

Agents are GO! posted:

Bull's Rush is fun as hell. :D
That may be true, but it's not balanced in any sense of the word. Gopher also pointed out that it would make sprinting through towns dangerous, because you could end up knocking everyone over and getting arrested for assault all the time. It probably also breaks the "sprint into people to skip cutscene dialogue" trick.

"Agents are GO! posted:

Oh, it's even more fun than that, my friend. You're only supposed to run the patcher once per save. If you run it again, you'll break poo poo, because for some ungodly reason T3ndo broke/ignored/disabled the SkyProc functionality that preserves FormIDs between patcher runs. LtSmash was laughing about it in the Awful Mods thread.

PerMa is fun, but should be considered a Beta right now at best.

Good God, that's terrible. You really do have to lock everything down before starting a PerMa playthrough. What was that about PerMa being built for better compatibility again?

It's too bad. PerMa interested me simply because it looked like it might implement a good staff crafting system, which I'm amazed no one else has tried yet.

Edit:

Alasyre posted:

I don't know if it's mentioned anywhere on the actual PerMa page, but it's probably wise to use the Elys uncapper file that comes with PerMa Compatibility Patches, so you get more perks per level, which makes some of those superfluous perks easier to take.
When I saw how many perks SkyRe had, I assumed it had to give you more than one perk point per level. I thought the same of PerMa and was pretty disheartened to see that wasn't the case. With the way it returns to the vanilla mechanic of "you must take perks to not be useless", I figured it was practically a necessity.

Praetorian Mage fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
For what it's worth, I've run the patcher multiple times on a single save and haven't run into any issues.

Is there a way to set a location to prevent enemies from respawning? I want to use Fellglow Keep as my player home.

• Locked thread