Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

nyxnyxnyx posted:

From my understanding, yes.

That's how we've been playing it because the wording says that as soon as a unit is able to "strike" and there are no units on the otherwise the battle is over, but I ruled that the action window before it would still occur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PaybackJack posted:

That's how we've been playing it because the wording says that as soon as a unit is able to "strike" and there are no units on the otherwise the battle is over, but I ruled that the action window before it would still occur.

e: yeah this guy's got it VVV

S.J. fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 15, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

PaybackJack posted:

Question regarding Conquest; is there still an opportunity for combat actions if there is no enemy units participating. For example, if I have a unit at the first planet and my opponent does not, is there a chance to use Ork Kannon before the battle ends?

For several reasons, yes:
There's a window before every battle starts and there's a window before each unit attacks - even if there's no enemies you still get two separate action windows to do stuff. Also something that's useful: There's another window before the phase ends after the last battle is over (perfect for using up those last Ork Kannons for example).

A neat thing about the way Combat Victory is determined:
So battle ends when you declare an attack but there's no target left to hit - that means you can do some fancy stuff with bad warlord commits: If you commit to a planet with no enemy and you don't want your entire HQ based army to be stranded there you can use your special Warlord retreat rule to retreat him instead of attacking - unless there's something else ready the combat doesn't end because there's nothing left to attack - so everything refreshes and you get a retreat window so you can decide exactly what to leave and what to get back into HQ for next turn. Just make sure you don't retreat everything or the combat ends as a tie.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Nov 15, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Is there an errata about that 'end of battle' trigger anywhere? Because the way the rulebook is phrased the battle is over if you have any units at a planet and your opponent has none at the beginning of your combat turn, the battle ends. Since you actually have to consume a combat turn to retreat your Warlord you wouldn't get the opportunity to retreat him before the battle ended, right?

S.J. fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 15, 2014

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

That's merely an additional option to retreat your warlord, since at the end of a combat round you may retreat whatever units you like.

quote:

• A warlord unit that is participating in a battle may consume a combat turn (on which it would be eligible to attack) to exhaust and retreat instead of executing the attack.
  • At the end of a combat round, each player (starting with the player who has the initiative for that battle) may retreat any number of units he controls in the battle by removing them from the battle (simultaneously) and placing them at his HQ, exhausted.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

S.J. posted:

Is there an errata about that 'end of battle' trigger anywhere? Because the way the rulebook is phrased the battle is over if you have any units at a planet and your opponent has none at the beginning of your combat turn, the battle ends. Since you actually have to consume a combat turn to retreat your Warlord you wouldn't get the opportunity to retreat him before the battle ended, right?

I take the end of battle trigger from the Red Box in the Battle Resolution Diagram - it's the most specific of the end of battle explanations and the only one in the reference guide that has a clear cut rule for "when does a battle actually end, specifically?".

Actually I think you're right too. It looks like both conditions are active at the same time? In that case you couldn't do an unopposed retreat, but it'd still work if your only active unit after a commit (Warlord) kills the only opposing unit on his first attack, because an unopposed battle is won from the "start of Combat Turn" trigger, while a single opposing unit being killed by the Warlord means the "unit strikes but can't" isn't triggered.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 15, 2014

S.J.
May 19, 2008

DatonKallandor posted:

I take the end of battle trigger from the Red Box in the Battle Resolution Diagram - it's the most specific of the end of battle explanations and the only one in the reference guide that has a clear cut rule for "when does a battle actually end, specifically?".

Actually I think you're right too. It looks like both conditions are active at the same time? In that case you couldn't do an unopposed retreat, but it'd still work if your only active unit after a commit (Warlord) kills the only opposing unit on his first attack, because an unopposed battle is won from the "start of Combat Turn" trigger, while a single opposing unit being killed by the Warlord means the "unit strikes but can't" isn't triggered.

Yeah that sounds right. Super specific but definitely useful if your opponent has a single command unit at a planet.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
Played LOTR today at Fantasy Flight with the game's current developer and the Star Wars LCG World Champ. It was kinda neat to teach the champ the game! There was sort of an LOTR meetup at the FFG Game Center, with at least 16 people. Played Peril in Pelagir (which we beat), encounter at Amon Din (which we beat with just 1 player alive after 1 died early and the other two of us were taken out by a 28-threat-gained turn, and Duredan Forest (which we lost, TWICE, both times pretty much on turn one due to terribly unlucky drawing). 4 players is not recommended for that one!

Also got to hear a little about the Star Wars LCG strategy that nobody expected. I don't really know how the game works but he explained it a little. Pretty cool that he won with this core set strategy that nobody considered that great!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It was definitely a "rogue" deck. Everyone was still thinking that pure Jedi even with an addition of a few Smuggler sets would be the heavily favored playstyle. Really his deck wasn't that different that most of them but he was running two sets that most people didn't think about and those two sets made up the rogue strategy and turned that into a really punishing strategy in the current environment. I don't want to sound like I'm taking anything away from him, the environment shifted in a way that made that strategy more viable and he caught it and played it to victory. He played excellently in the games I saw him play, he baited his opponents in the perfect way and his DS game was incredibly punishing and he gave up nothing on that side. Great player, great decks; give that man major props next time you see him.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Having a lot of fun with DEldars in Conquest.

It's solid at command and sets up for lots of sick Dooms with all the mobility. Literally just jam in all the mobile Eldar guys with Packmaster Kith just for her ability and a full suite of the 2-Shield events. Superiority works great with Eldar Survivalist and Void Pirate as always and Syren Zythlex being arguably the best unique unit always helps.

I typically do low commitment units like Murder of Razorwing/Coliseum Fighter on Planet 1 then place a mobile guy like Soaring Falcon / Wildrider Squadron on Planet 2, so you either win Planet 1 uncontested or they win it by investing significant resources. Repeat a few times, then Rout/Doom for the win.

Packmaster Kith

Army (25)
2x Altansar Rangers
2x Coliseum Fighters
3x Eldar Survivalist
4x Kith's Khymeramasters
3x Murder of Razorwings
3x Soaring Falcon
2x Syren Zythlex
3x Void Pirate
3x Wildrider Squadron

Attachment (7)
1x Agonizer of Bren
3x Promotion
3x Suffering

Event (14)
3x Archon's Terror
3x Doom
2x Pact of the Haemonculi
3x Raid
3x Superiority

Support (4)
1x Corsair Trading Port
1x Khymera Den
2x Twisted Laboratory

Created with https://www.conquestdb.com

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I have decided LCGs aren't for me, and thought I'd post this here first. I have 2 copies of Star Wars LCG base set here and one copy of the Hoth expansion (I think) along with an insert that allows you to organize the insides of the box better using acrylic dividers, and a bunch of acrylic counters made specifically for the Star Wars LCG. Example of a Force counter on top.

If anyone is interested in getting this, for say like 50 bucks shipped including the counters and insert and everything, please PM me.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 16, 2014

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I'm not interested (have it all already) but I will put it out there that that is a great value for jumping into the game either for someone who wants to build up to competitive or keep it casual.

I love the Star Wars LCG and wish it was more popular. If you have a friend who is interested, this will give you a lot of deck building and a lot of fun!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

That's a great deal on the strongest LCG FFG makes. Wish I knew someone who needed some cards to start.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I wish someone was doing this to their LoTR cards :)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

djfooboo posted:

I wish someone was doing this to their LoTR cards :)

I also have a set of those I could be rid of but it's only one box and no special goodies.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I have a few people that may be interested. I'll keep you posted! I need other LCG players around here something fierce.

Fractious
May 10, 2007
That sounds like a great deal. Been looking for an excuse to pick the Star Wars LCG up.

PM sent.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Feels good man

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Which game has the tokens on the right? I can spot ANR tokens on the left and Conquest tokens in the middle, but I've not played the last one.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Doomtown: Reloaded

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Hey for Warhammer Invasion, I think I'm missing something crucial here. Cards with the raider ability generate resources based on the raider value when they attack, but are those resources only for tactics cards at that point?

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I am having a lot of fun blasting quests with Gandalf, Elrond, and Galadriel. Feels totally OP but I recommend anyone who is up to date with lotr try it out. I am using Eagles as the ally support, but I could see using silvan, outlands or literally any other ally set that goes well together.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
At first glance Ragnar looked pretty bad to me, but I've been playing him recently and having a blast.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

So I bought a bunch of LOTR stuff and was wondering how people play? I can either start with the low difficulty stuff or go by release date? I know the saga expansions are special in that they have card lists, but what about the other stuff? Will the quests be too easy if I have access to everything?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

If you go in order you shouldn't have too many problems playing normal mode outside of the third core set quest. Once you get to Heirs of Numenor or any of the saga expansions you may want to go to easy mode if you start having trouble. The earlier quests may be easy if you know what you're doing with a large card pool, but I'd at least attempt some of them before looking to move on or get a nightmare deck.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

djfooboo posted:

So I bought a bunch of LOTR stuff and was wondering how people play? I can either start with the low difficulty stuff or go by release date? I know the saga expansions are special in that they have card lists, but what about the other stuff? Will the quests be too easy if I have access to everything?

Ignore the difficulty numbers of each quest, they're completely nonsensical. Playing in order of release is probably best as it'll ease you into the mechanics of the game.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

So I think my Steward's Fear AP was missing two cards, two outlands ally cards (the +spirit and +attack ones). I only have 2/3 of each of those two.

Is that, uh, commonplace?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Pander posted:

So I think my Steward's Fear AP was missing two cards, two outlands ally cards (the +spirit and +attack ones). I only have 2/3 of each of those two.

I'd have to check when I get home (haven't played any outlands decks)...but ...probably not. I don't recall missing any when sleeving.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

I played one game ever, and I've searched top to bottom to try to figure out where I might have misplaced them. At the time I think I noted it was odd that it seemed I had fewer of them, but I was new enough to the game where I wasn't really paying attention to the fact there should have been 3.

I'm asking if anyone's known of APs being shorted because if not the probable alternative is that I DID somehow lose them despite never taking them out of my apartment, only using them once, and having searched it up and down for those two cards.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pander posted:

If you only have two of any Fellowship card then you're missing some, because there are three of each in every AP. Shadow it's harder to tell because they vary.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I had a netrunner data pack that was missing some cards. Just email customer service. Easy peasy.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Jedit posted:

If you only have two of any Fellowship card then you're missing some, because there are three of each in every AP. Shadow it's harder to tell because they vary.

I know there are supposed to be 3. That's why only having two is frustrating, especially since I wanted to make an outlands deck. Guess I'm buying another Steward's Fear AP :\

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pander posted:

I know there are supposed to be 3. That's why only having two is frustrating, especially since I wanted to make an outlands deck. Guess I'm buying another Steward's Fear AP :\

No, seriously, just email FFG and they'll help you.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

Pander posted:

Yeah, look up the FFG missing parts page and put in a request. They'll hook you up.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Descendants of Isha with a dark eldar warlord preview. First one with a starting 8 cards. Ichor Gauntlet sure is something :stare:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Descendants of Isha with a dark eldar warlord preview. First one with a starting 8 cards. Ichor Gauntlet sure is something :stare:

I think you mean the second with a starting 8 cards, Cortez (Astra Militarum) gets 8 cards and 8 resources. It's really cool though how the last pack is gonna give us two warlords.

That DE torture deck is going to be incredible, and also enable some really stupid/hilarious moves thanks to the cost reduction. The dream opening hand where I can play that Ichor Gauntlet then 4 copies of that Experimentations card, forcing my opponent to either discard most of his hand or bloody his warlord on turn 1, would just be amazing. e: didn't read Ichor Gauntlet correctly, nevermind.

That Inquisitor seems pretty strong too. I wish the Space Marine card didn't have all of its important info strategically blocked to give us pretty much no idea of what it does.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 6, 2014

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

I was sorta hoping the ludicrously powerful one-of (and some of the two-of) cards in the signature squads was something they'd tone down a bit but it seems like they're really doubling down on the concept. It's just so much randomness when the most powerful card is 1 in 50.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The fact the SM card is hiding only one or two words combined with 'until end of phase' is really throwing me off. It can't be 'a battle,' nor 'no battle' because it doesn't specify not first planet. It can't really have anything to do with command struggle due to timing windows.

Could it be initiative? It must be.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PJOmega posted:

The fact the SM card is hiding only one or two words combined with 'until end of phase' is really throwing me off. It can't be 'a battle,' nor 'no battle' because it doesn't specify not first planet. It can't really have anything to do with command struggle due to timing windows.

Could it be initiative? It must be.

I think the effect could be an exhaust effect, maybe? But that seems way too powerful if it lasts until the end of the phase, and it doesn't look like there's enough room for the 'target unit' on the first line. No idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

It could be +2 (or whatever number) "Hammer-Icon"? Pump some Librarian powered command into a struggle?
Also anyone else trying to come up with cool Tyranid/Necron stuff already? If the first Tyranid Warlord doesn't get a once-per-phase discard-unit-and-gain-printed-cost support I'll be sad.