Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Ibram Gaunt... Hmmm, now I kinda want to see a WH40k anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Space Bat posted:

Do sexy boys make you uncomfortable?

Well, yeah. Having a giant boner for an entire five-hour season marathon is pretty uncomfortable.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

bears are not a sexual minority

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

a kitten posted:

they kinda are

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

a kitten posted:

What about twinks?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a kitten posted:

don't talk about my people like that

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If the show was about that kind of bear I might be more interested.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

If the show was about that kind of bear I might be more interested.

Yeah, I'd watch that.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

a kitten posted:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

now that's what i call a bear storm.

Anyway, people are interested because the director has done some interesting and cool stuff in the past. Not exactly a huge fuckin mystery.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Ibram Gaunt... Hmmm, now I kinda want to see a WH40k anime.

Chaos works in mysterious ways.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

is that the midori no hibi girl

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Dunno why Ikuhara shouldn't get the benefit of the doubt, Utena is full of lesbianism and doesn't fetishize it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Was the promotional material for Utena fanservice shots of the characters?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Nobody cares. Go cry about it somewhere else.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

coathat posted:

I'm just asking questions, why are you so defensive? The other posters are at least posting reasons why this could be good.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

coathat posted:

i care

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Thank you. I'm getting sick of this rear end in a top hat trying to shut down serious discussion.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Was the promotional material for Utena fanservice shots of the characters?

Unless you count some skin in a transformation sequence, I'm not seeing fanservice in the Yurikuma promo art. Utena has official art with nudity anyway, and that turned out fine.
I understand being wary, but a show exploring relationships should rightfully bring some expectations of sexuality.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

Unless you count some skin in a transformation sequence, I'm not seeing fanservice in the Yurikuma promo art. Utena has official art with nudity anyway, and that turned out fine.
I understand being wary, but a show exploring relationships should rightfully bring some expectations of sexuality.

I'm talkin about all the weird panty shot pics which people post - which seem pretty problematic. However, I will reserve my final judgement until the final product is out, and I appreciate you not treating me like some sort of troublemaker.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Ibram Gaunt posted:

serious discussion.

"How come all you nerds are excited about this new show by a visionary auteur director who worked on some of the best anime ever made" is a serious discussion?

If Yuuasa, Watanabe, or The Ghost of Satoshi Kon were making an anime about lesbians and bishie-bears, we'd probably be excited for that too! People who make Good Things tend to make other Good Things, I don't see why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Redcrimson posted:

"How come all you nerds are excited about this new show by a visionary auteur director who worked on some of the best anime ever made" is a serious discussion?

If Yuuasa, Watanabe, or The Ghost of Satoshi Kon were making an anime about lesbians and bishie-bears, we'd probably be excited for that too! People who make Good Things tend to make other Good Things, I don't see why this is such a difficult concept to grasp.

I prefer to judge things by their content - not who made them. Your way seems like a good way to get disappointed when things don't live up to your perceived expectations

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm talkin about all the weird panty shot pics which people post - which seem pretty problematic. However, I will reserve my final judgement until the final product is out, and I appreciate you not treating me like some sort of troublemaker.

hey man. how about posting the picture of the "panty shots - which seem pretty problematic" in this thread so the rest of us can see it and judge for ourselves

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I prefer to judge things by their content - not who made them. Your way seems like a good way to get disappointed when things don't live up to your perceived expectations

And how is your way any different? You just have whole other set of preconceived expectations!

Unless you've already seen YuriKuma. In which case please regale me, future-man.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

hey man. how about posting the picture of the "panty shots - which seem pretty problematic" in this thread so the rest of us can see it and judge for ourselves

http://img1.ak.crunchyroll.com/i/spire1/97c55ef66057ad0fb571d31da4240d731411999937_full.jpg

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

i judge this is good. thank you

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Penguindrum kinda sucked anyways.

coathat
May 21, 2007

It was actually incredibly good.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The first half of Penguin Drum was outstanding. The back half got too abstract for its own good and didn't have the same impact as the last few episodes / movie in Utena, but that's a pretty high standard to live up to.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ikuhara is kind of a weirdo. But in a good way. Utena was amazing and so was Penguindrum. Hell, even one of the openings he directed/story-boarded gets you all pumped up. And, while it seems kinda dumb to judge things by the people that are working on it, in anime it often allows you to get a surprisingly accurate feel to know if the show's gonna appeal to you or not. There are exceptions, though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Good directors can go bad, though, as shown by Rydley Scott.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Why would it be dumb to think something will be good because of whose making it? Thats like the best possible reason to get excited about anything.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's not fair to hold Legend against the man decades later.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Name an anime director this applies to though.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

coathat posted:

Why would it be dumb to think something will be good because of whose making it? Thats like the best possible reason to get excited about anything.
Because it can burn you sometimes?

I dunno, it literally is the most obvious thing. Having one guy try to introduce some random doubt over Ikuhara's work is kind of baffling and amazing, like trying to call someone out for thinking Ping Pong was good.

EDIT: vvvv I like those hats a lot.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 7, 2014

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

drat look at those hat shots

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Xelkelvos posted:

Name an anime director this applies to though.

Yamaka--yeah, he was always poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Uh oh, not panty shots.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Waffleman_ posted:

Yamaka--yeah, he was always poo poo.

yamakan really needs to be kept on a tight leash, he's hosed up too many times working on his lonesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Good staff make awful things and cool premises often end up being awful shows.

I've never seen Utena and I'm going to watch the lesbian bear court drama anime because that's one of the dumbest premises I've ever heard and that makes me want to see it, because I love stupid things and really just want to experience the end of the first episode of Valvrave all over again.

Panty shots are stupid but I don't actually particularly care about them, so I'm going to wait until I see some other reason why the show is irredeemable.

• Locked thread