Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
This debate is dumb because they could do either, both, or some combination of the 3 and adult men would still spend 1000s on plastic dolls and argue on forums :derp:

Cataphract posted:

If you want to see Yarrick catch ghazzghkull, throw some models on the table and forge the motherfucking narrative.

Proof that GW doesn't play their games- they are incapable of forging their own narrative!

CHECK

MATE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's kind of bullshit though that you have to ad hoc campaign rules, although from what I understand Forge World has some ongoing campaign rules. My group can never decide on how to handle further army experience.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ghetto wormhole posted:

The tracers in Fury were spaced properly as far as I could tell but they looked really goofy and unrealistic. They looked more like the lasers from the original star wars movies than streaking bullets.

But isn't that what tracers actually look like? They're moving at a couple hundred feet per second, even in daylight it's going to look like a big streak. Doubly so if they based the effects off of period guncam and war footage, due to how the brightness of tracers interacts with film which makes them look like these wiggly hard-edged laser beams. But even IRL though normal vision, you're not going to see any real tapering or streaking of the perceived light over any real distance considering how small the light source is, you'll mostly just see an elongated line of light.

The lasers in the original Star Wars movies were specifically modeled to evoke actual tracer fire, especially since Lucas's whole thing was (in part) a homage to old war serials.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 6, 2014

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Mange Mite posted:

But isn't that what tracers actually look like? They're moving at a couple hundred feet per second, even in daylight it's going to look like a big streak. Doubly so if they based the effects off of period guncam and war footage, due to how the brightness of tracers interacts with film which makes them look like these wiggly hard-edged laser beams. But even IRL though normal vision, you're not going to see any real tapering or streaking of the perceived light over any real distance considering how small the light source is, you'll mostly just see an elongated line of light.

The lasers in the original Star Wars movies were specifically modeled to evoke actual tracer fire, especially since Lucas's whole thing was (in part) a homage to old war serials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpseedqNzbg

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1xli7OTE_0&t=92s

Some scenes they look fine but there's a lot of times where they're in some sort of tracer uncanny valley and they just look kind of obviously added in afterwards.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

HiveCommander posted:

It's always in favour of the loyalist Space Marines too. Remember AoBR having something like 150pts more Space Marines than Orks?
Balance!

My favorite was the old 3E box with the Dark Eldar in it. AP5 guns everywhere and the DE had virtually no Lances, so the Marines would just kinda chew them to pieces.

JerryLee posted:

I don't think you can really describe any new terminator sculpts as 'unnecessary' considering how plain and dated the default ones look at this point.

I think you could describe just about every Terminator sculpt as unneccessary considering how garbage most Terminators are in the game right now.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ghetto wormhole posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpseedqNzbg

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1xli7OTE_0&t=92s

Some scenes they look fine but there's a lot of times where they're in some sort of tracer uncanny valley and they just look kind of obviously added in afterwards.

Is it weird that I think that tracer fire in that first video is oddly beautiful?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

AbusePuppy posted:

I think you could describe just about every Terminator sculpt as unneccessary considering how garbage most Terminators are in the game right now.

:drat:

It's true though :smith:

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Caros posted:

Is it weird that I think that tracer fire in that first video is oddly beautiful?

Depending on what you are firing at and at what range it can sometimes ricochet upwards which is pretty too.

Also, to weigh in, the way we were taught with tracer rounds was one in five or ten with a few at the top of a magazine for target indication if you were the only guy who could see the enemy, you can see the individual points of light pretty clearly, even moving at the speed it does. Bigger distances are better obviously.

JackMack fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 6, 2014

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

AbusePuppy posted:

My favorite was the old 3E box with the Dark Eldar in it. AP5 guns everywhere and the DE had virtually no Lances, so the Marines would just kinda chew them to pieces.

I started warhammer with that box, my twin brother had the space marines. I got beaten like a red-headed step child. On one occasion a single terminator walked through 15 DE warriors. (I think we each got a battalion box as well?)

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
After months of ignoring them, I'm getting around to building a bunch of tyranids I bought much earlier this year; would someone please help me decide between a harpy and a crone? It seems like the crone does anti-air by smashing into other fliers, and the harpy zooms around shooting at ground targets and maybe charging things if it gets grounded?

For carnifexes and hive tyrants, I think I want to double up on BL devourers, but it looks like each carnifex sprue only comes with a single pair of them. I'm thinking of trying to model some myself following one of the many internet tutorials. I'll probably have to do this for the tyrant, especially since the wings take up arm spots so he's only getting two arms anyway, but for the carnifex models how bad would it be to just use the single pair and some scything talons as decoration? I realize that it wouldn't fly in a wysiwyg tournament, but for the types of casual games I play would people be confused? I really like how the talons look on them, and if I made my own they would look really mismatched with the official bits.

Finally, I greatly regret buying the ebook codex when it came out, because god drat this thing is useless for looking up rules. Have the newer ebooks gotten better organization, or should I stick to paper and iBooks?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

drgnvale posted:

After months of ignoring them, I'm getting around to building a bunch of tyranids I bought much earlier this year; would someone please help me decide between a harpy and a crone? It seems like the crone does anti-air by smashing into other fliers, and the harpy zooms around shooting at ground targets and maybe charging things if it gets grounded?

For carnifexes and hive tyrants, I think I want to double up on BL devourers, but it looks like each carnifex sprue only comes with a single pair of them. I'm thinking of trying to model some myself following one of the many internet tutorials. I'll probably have to do this for the tyrant, especially since the wings take up arm spots so he's only getting two arms anyway, but for the carnifex models how bad would it be to just use the single pair and some scything talons as decoration? I realize that it wouldn't fly in a wysiwyg tournament, but for the types of casual games I play would people be confused? I really like how the talons look on them, and if I made my own they would look really mismatched with the official bits.

Finally, I greatly regret buying the ebook codex when it came out, because god drat this thing is useless for looking up rules. Have the newer ebooks gotten better organization, or should I stick to paper and iBooks?
They're Tyranid guns, dude. Not even half the Tyranid players know what their own guns look like, let alone their opponents. So long as it's got 2 pairs of the same weapon nobody'd know the difference.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
WYSIWYG isn't a thing any more, glue bolters on there and you can still say they're devourers.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Mange Mite posted:

I'm not sure if you're joking here but isn't that what tracers actually look like? Especially when caught on film? IDK if the Germans of that era used green tracers, but green tracers are definitely pretty common in like Cold War era Russian military use.

Nah, tracers are usually red and look like tracers, not red and green Star Wars lasers. The movie has really bad CGI tracers.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I don't really see what Fury has to do with 40k

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Post 9-11 User posted:

Nah, tracers are usually red and look like tracers, not red and green Star Wars lasers. The movie has really bad CGI tracers.

It is impossible that a thing in the 1940s look different up close than a thing from 2004 a mile away.

http://youtu.be/x9AwgIkSReI, they look pretty close to lasers.

Fury is related to 40k because I pretend my tanks have Furious Charge.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

It is impossible that a thing in the 1940s look different up close than a thing from 2004 a mile away.

Nah they looked bad and nothing like real tracer rounds.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Forgeworld sent me the wrong thing. Great. :smith:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Why am I not surprised the box set stuff would be garbage. 210 points for 8 genestealers and a broodlord is ridiculous. Even with stealth they'll never make it to combat at full strength.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

drgnvale posted:

The Crone is generally considered a bit better than the Harpy, but the difference actually isn't that huge- you could do either of them reasonably well. Typically the Crone is something you'll want to kill flyers and harass vehicles with its Haywire shots, with the flamer being an acceptable backup. The Harpy, on the other hand, is a dedicated ground-hunting unit; the Heavy Venom Cannon actually makes a fairly okay way to ping HP off tanks, or you can set it up with Stranglethorn + Cluster Spines and really put the hurt on some infantry. If you don't have any real preference, I would say go with the Crone, as it does something no other unit in your army does (whereas the Harpy's abilities are more easily replicable.)

Twinned Devourers are definitely the way to go on your big guys. You could probably get away with also having Talons on the 'Fex as well as long as your Devourers are noticeably distinct from the regular set- and it's not at all hard to due as a conversion piece. There's tons of ways to do it that use different bitz and I'm sure one of the other local Tyranid players (or someone in the thread) could spare some if you ask nicely.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Forgeworld sent me the wrong thing. Great. :smith:

Congrats on your free wrong thing. The extra wait is a pain but at least you got something for ther mistake.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Well, we'll see. I changed an order (I got an email confirming they changed it) but still ended up getting what I originally ordered.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Master Twig posted:

Why am I not surprised the box set stuff would be garbage. 210 points for 8 genestealers and a broodlord is ridiculous. Even with stealth they'll never make it to combat at full strength.

Expecting them to reach combat at full strength in any situation is asking a lot. Infiltrating a Shrouded unit into ruins though takes their survival from "possible" to "highly likely" and The Horror will allow them to shut down their target unit and reach combat turn two. It's not too tier but I wouldn't call it complete garbage.

This assumes that you're fielding the whole 555pt Formation, but it's really not the worst thing to use and their special abilities are neat. Tack in a few Venom/Malanthropes and a good chunk of your army has +2 cover saves.

AbusePuppy posted:

Twinned Devourers are definitely the way to go on your big guys. You could probably get away with also having Talons on the 'Fex as well as long as your Devourers are noticeably distinct from the regular set- and it's not at all hard to due as a conversion piece. There's tons of ways to do it that use different bitz and I'm sure one of the other local Tyranid players (or someone in the thread) could spare some if you ask nicely.

I like using the clusterspine arms from the Tervigon kit for TL Devourers because it's a unique look and is generally way more imposing than two sets of those dinky-looking Devourer arms they put in the Carnifex kit. You can probably get the boys cheaply on eBay or trade.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 6, 2014

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Master Twig posted:

That formation isn't horrible. 555 points isn't something I would want to spend on every day, but a stealthed shootie carnifex with it will not die isn't horrible, and going from stealth to shrouded on the genestealers is pretty good. Heck, as long as you don't take the heavy flamer in the face the next round you can even go to ground for a 2+ cover as long as you aren't in synapse.

It's just that the marine formation takes away some of the best tools a broodlord has in the horror. Seriously, The Horror is really good and *makes up for the lack of grenades somewhat*.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

HiveCommander posted:

They're Tyranid guns, dude. Not even half the Tyranid players know what their own guns look like, let alone their opponents. So long as it's got 2 pairs of the same weapon nobody'd know the difference.

I put Deathspitters on my HT and call them BLDevs simply because the Deathspitters are the best looking guns. No one gives a poo poo, they just care that they are eating 12 shots at S6 hitting on 3s with rerolls :D

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I hope the Nid guys from my club pick up this bug formation, mostly because "Phodia" will be fodder for _endless_ dirty jokes in portuguese.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Well if anyone in the UK has the nid half spare from the new box set, I've got the BA half spare looking for a swap. PM me or something if you're interested.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yeah any Canucks wanting to sell their 'Nid half just PM me. Don't need the book or anything, just the models.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Well, we'll see. I changed an order (I got an email confirming they changed it) but still ended up getting what I originally ordered.

Doesn't matter, don't feel pity for these guys. Send them copies of the email confirmation and get your free swag. Swag swag.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
Are the two forces in the new Blood Angels and Tyranids box set balanced? I'm gonna pick it up for two relative beginners and I would definitely like it to be a balanced affair.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Foul Fowl posted:

Are the two forces in the new Blood Angels and Tyranids box set balanced? I'm gonna pick it up for two relative beginners and I would definitely like it to be a balanced affair.

I was fearing they wouldn't be, but they're actually not that far off. If played smartly the Tyranid player could certainly win and they have way better special abilities. It's definitely more balanced than some of the other boxed sets they've sold. Probably the most balanced, as far as I can remember.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
The hardest part would be the Dreadnought, it'll pulp the Carnifex pretty handedly. The Fex needs the charge.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

The Dread would be a problem, as always. The BA just have a lot of weapons that hurt Tyranids pretty badly (Power Fists especially, but also the AP4 stuff) whereas the Tyranids... don't have a whole lot the BA are actually afraid of.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
Uh I'm pretty sure the tyranids have a ton of rending claws so the BA are just poo poo out of luck.

Thanks for the advice on the flyer and carnifex modelling. I'll probably model a pair of talons on each of the carnifexes because it looks the best and if someone seems confused by it I'll just play it as talons. Its not like I plan on winning a lot as tyranids, just like I don't plan on winning often as ultramarines without named characters. I just want to have enjoyable games where lots of stuff happens and almost everyone is dead at the end.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Today's game was a stunning victory for the forces of the Imperium (with filthy eldar) after the invisible cultists blobs... Didn't roll invisibility. This made it a bit tough for them.

Some pictures, will post more tomorrow if requested!

Lord Twisted fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 6, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Before I start assembling these Tyranids that came in the Deathstrike boxset, should I magnetize anything so I can swap out weapons?

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Lord Twisted posted:

Some pictures, will post more tomorrow if requested!

Needs more Orks.

I like the terrain but there wasn't much in the middle.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
40K's stagnancy is less some creative choice and more the result of corporate and narrative cowardice.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Bollocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
What an insightful rebuttal.

Look, I just got into this about a year ago, but the setting's lack of progression is already starting to feel restrictive to me. How are the authors handling this for so long? It'd tear at my brain to just have something stagnant for this long, and it's not like progression would be bad for business. New kits, new factions, a chance to improve rules as tactics changed. Or heck, just have a 50K line if you don't want to progress the main story.

• Locked thread