Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Yesterday I had my second "par with an O.B." On a straight par 5 with O.B. left, I was left 205 out after a rather nice drive. I pull-hooked the first approach shot O.B. The second attempt stopped 8 inches from the hole.

Today I tried playing a round in golf shoes that were just slightly too small for my feet (thanks, Nike) because I didn't want to get my nice new golf shoes soaked by playing in torrential rain. Never again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Jordan Speith just shot a -8 63 in windy conditions at one of Australia's toughest courses. Wins the Aus Open by 6 shots...

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Anybody have a recommendation for where I can find a TaylorMade Burner Plus 3-Iron single club? Righty, standard flex steel shaft, preferably, though I can change the shaft at the shop if I have to.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sarehu posted:

Today I tried playing a round in golf shoes that were just slightly too small for my feet (thanks, Nike) because I didn't want to get my nice new golf shoes soaked by playing in torrential rain. Never again.
If your new shoes are waterproof, wet conditions are the best way to break them in.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

EnsGDT posted:

Anybody have a recommendation for where I can find a TaylorMade Burner Plus 3-Iron single club? Righty, standard flex steel shaft, preferably, though I can change the shaft at the shop if I have to.

Worth a try if you haven't been here already > http://www.taylormadegolfpreowned.com/

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Halo14 posted:

Worth a try if you haven't been here already > http://www.taylormadegolfpreowned.com/

I have, they only sell iron sets. Appreciate it though!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Had a fairly bad round scoring-wise on Sunday. I shot 78 with like 4 or 5 stupid three putts, but I had some great shots thrown in there.

My girlfriend and I were playing a match against my parents. We're one down going into 9, which is a dog leg right par 4. My mom strokes and nobody else does. I toast a drive to about 100 out. Everyone misses the green short (just a foot or two off). The green is elevated and into the wind, so I take my 52 and try to make a 3/4 swing. The ball was sitting up in the grass, so it comes out high off the face and lands a yard or so short of the green.

My girlfriend chips it to gimme range, and I take my 56 and chip putt it in the hole! Mom fails to get up and down. Nothing is better than a chip in.

The other crazy shot was at 14. It's a short par 4 with lots of fairway bunkers. It normally plays 350 or so, but sometimes the tees get moved up to 290 so people can go for it. I hit driver and pull it 30 yards left into standing water. Missing left is bad. I'm short of pin high with 40ish yards. Bunkers and rough short, green is sloping away from me downhill and down grain. To make matters worse, I have to semi flop it out of this really muddy crappy lie and over a small tree.

My shot lands in the rough short of the green, bounces up onto the green and trickles in. Eagle bitches!

It was a total fluke and I couldn't do it again in a million years but who loving cares that was cool as poo poo.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
New video of Tigers swing > https://vine.co/v/OvBAYuKZrXA

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fuckkk I should have could have played golf today.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves

Halo14 posted:

New video of Tigers swing > https://vine.co/v/OvBAYuKZrXA

So excited to see Tiger again! :3:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Seymour Butts posted:

My friend got invited to the tourney and gets to see him live! So jealous!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I've never been to a golf tournament but the Humana Challenge going in January is right down the road from me. I think I might just pick someone and try following them through their round.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Hekk posted:

I've never been to a golf tournament but the Humana Challenge going in January is right down the road from me. I think I might just pick someone and try following them through their round.

Make sure to go early and watch the Stripe Show those guys put on at the range. It's amazing.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Seymour Butts posted:

He's using all new equipment too

http://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2014/12/02/woods-equipment.html

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

mattfl posted:

My friend got invited to the tourney and gets to see him live! So jealous!
I went to a practice round of the 2011 PGA Championship at Atlanta Athletic Club. Apparently, during my 10am-6pm stay, I managed to just miss Tiger on the range. :negative:

Got to see Rory up close and personal though.

(That will bug me forever)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

67*F today, hosed up my neck by sleeping weird, gently caress this gay earth.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I went to a practice round of the 2011 PGA Championship at Atlanta Athletic Club. Apparently, during my 10am-6pm stay, I managed to just miss Tiger on the range. :negative:

Got to see Rory up close and personal though.

(That will bug me forever)

I was at the Arnold Palmer tourney two years ago and followed Bubba around all day. Seeing his swing on tv is nothing compared to seeing it live. We watched Tiger on the putting green and watched him walk over to the 1st tee, by then the galleries were 20-30 deep and there was no way we'd be able to follow him anywhere.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tiger shoots 41 after front nine. 1 of 7 fairways, 3 of 9 greens and 14 putts. Ack, that's pretty ugly and on his home course even.

Rilfin
Mar 16, 2005
Man, that previous par 5 played by Tiger was painful to watch. One small bounce away from having a 5 footer for eagle, but instead the ball trickles down the slope. Almost entirely a bad break. He then proceeds to completely duff the next pitch.. twice.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Meanwhile Speith continues to stripe it and putt for birdie on almost every hole. Amazing talent.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Halo14 posted:

Meanwhile Speith continues to stripe it and putt for birdie on almost every hole. Amazing talent.

love that kid

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Halo14 posted:

Spieth is a phenomenal golfer. His swing is kinda weird though. Way better than it used to be--he used to be the most talented reverse pivoter ever.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

A baboon tried to forecaddy for Luke Donald

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Patrick Reed -7 on the front nine playing with Tiger, wearing red and black. I'm not a Reed fan but that's pretty funny.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Here are two scorecards from this week. Let this serve as an example of how fickle this stupid game is, and as a reminder that the shanks are bad, m'kay.

One hundred and loving seven... The worst golf I've played basically since I started playing a few years go. I won't go into detail on the round, suffice to say that the course was new to me, it's fairly short and tight with OB everywhere and the greens are diabolically fast and undulating. The 70.6 rating is a joke because if you aren't dead straight off the tee and don't know the greens intimately, you're not putting up a good score here.

Anyway, the only hole I'll explain is #10 because I carded a (jesus christ) 15!

It started with a great drive right down the middle of the fairway. I had 115y to a back-right pin on a perfectly flat lie. I then proceeded to hit 5 hosel rockets OB right in a row! How the hell did I do that? I have no idea! I even switched clubs half way through just to make sure it wasn't just my gap wedge that was betraying me. It wasn't.

Since this was a tournament and I had to post a legit score to qualify for any of the skins/prize money, I eventually just punched a 7i up to the green and got the hell out of there.

After that, all I could do was try desperately to not shank any more shots. This was not a fun round.

The next day I went and had a lesson and watched some video of my swing. I saw immediately what I was doing wrong (some simple setup and alignment issues), of course. I got to play Riviera again today with my buddies and things went a little better.

Nothing like adding 1000 yards to the course and shooting 29 shots lower 4 days later. I didn't drive the ball particularly well, but still miles better than I did on Monday. #9 was a chip in from just off the green and I had 3 other birdie putts that burned the edge of the cup.

Moral of the story is: don't give up when you have an absolutely horrific round. Either that, or it's: golf is a stupid game. One of the two.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
everyone that has ever played golf knows that it is a stupid game that both hates and mocks you relentlessly

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
:lol: that's horrific!

sarehu posted:

Yesterday almost a week later I played another round, now I have discoloration underneath the other third of my big toes' nails.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Homestar Runner posted:

a stupid game that both hates and mocks you relentlessly

new thread title please

Taye Diggs
Aug 12, 2013

Holla at yo boy

DJExile posted:

new thread title please

seconded. also it's nearly 2015 so we really could use an update

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Do any of you guys game the SLDR or SLDR S? Golf Galaxy and Dick's are both doing the buy an SLDR S and get a free rescue or fairway wood for $330. I'm in the market for a 19 degree hybrid and a new driver, so it seems like a pretty good deal. I know that the S version is a different color and you can't adjust the loft and face angle, but do any of you have personal experience with either club? Is the S noticeable worse in any way? I've read a couple reviews on Google and it's been a mixed bag.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Seymour Butts posted:

Do any of you guys game the SLDR or SLDR S? Golf Galaxy and Dick's are both doing the buy an SLDR S and get a free rescue or fairway wood for $330. I'm in the market for a 19 degree hybrid and a new driver, so it seems like a pretty good deal. I know that the S version is a different color and you can't adjust the loft and face angle, but do any of you have personal experience with either club? Is the S noticeable worse in any way? I've read a couple reviews on Google and it's been a mixed bag.

The SLDR is a fantastic Taylormade driver. TM catches a lot of flak for their "throw poo poo at the wall and see what sticks" approach to club technology, but it's great.

My advice - http://search.rockbottomgolf.com/search.php?query=sldr

You can get both of them for $300. Test them in either box store, save your money and buy them online. Dick's laid off a ton of professionals early in the year, so I'll not give them my money if I can help it.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
Thanks. Do you play it? If you do, what loft are you using? I'm sure this is a common thing, but I don't love the idea of playing a driver with over 10.5 degrees of loft.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

Seymour Butts posted:

Thanks. Do you play it? If you do, what loft are you using? I'm sure this is a common thing, but I don't love the idea of playing a driver with over 10.5 degrees of loft.

Honestly, if you are going to drop a few hundo on a new driver, it really is worth going somewhere local and getting fit for X driver with XX shaft. What works for Kameh, or me, or anyone else will most likely not work for you.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Seymour Butts posted:

You're not gonna be hitting moon balls with it. And zinc is right - what works for me doesn't necessarily work for others. I don't game it, but I did have a little better results in a monitor compared to what I game now.

Loft is only a number, chief.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003

zinc68 posted:

Honestly, if you are going to drop a few hundo on a new driver, it really is worth going somewhere local and getting fit for X driver with XX shaft. What works for Kameh, or me, or anyone else will most likely not work for you.

I totally agree, but unfortunately it will cost twice as much. I think my local pro shop has the SLDR for around $350 and I wouldn't even bother trying to get fit at Dicks or Golf Galaxy because the kid fitting you has no idea what he's doing. Last time I went to Dicks to look at clubs the kid didn't know how to turn on the shot simulator.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I have a SLDR and love it. For the love of God, don't buy one at dick's or whatever. Get one used off eBay with an upgraded shaft for like $200. A bunch of people bought them without thinking about whether they could hit a low spin forward moi driver, so it seemed like the lightly used market was great.

I got mine almost brand new for $200 like 4 months ago.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Jesus Christ, Spieth is absolutely unconscious.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

EnsGDT posted:

Jesus Christ, Spieth is absolutely unconscious.

Haha that's one way to describe it. Look out Rory!

Between Speith and Paddy winning it was a pretty good weekend for golf :)

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Welp, today, I hit my tee-shot on the first hole an inch in-bounds, with the O.B. stake interfering with my backswing, then hit my second O.B., hit my third to 30 feet, and then holed the putt from there, for a birdie!

(I played in my first scramble today.) With 2-person teams, 35%+15% group handicap, and me, a 9.5 handicap, being paired with somebody I met on Friday, who turned out to be a +3! Our group handicap was 0. We ended up shooting a 63, coming in 2nd (net score) out of 8 teams in our flight. I was worried it would be like the time I played bughouse with a FIDE master on my side, who ended up just telling me what moves to make. But no, of our nine birdies, five of them came on my approach shots, and three were by my draining long-range putts (which is luck, of course).

My best shot was an approach from 222 yards, over water, on the 10th (at Shoreline GC), after he hit a three-wood and ended up maybe 18 feet behind the hole on the fringe, I hit a 3-iron inside his ball. Maybe it would have been a "heroic" 3-iron if he hadn't been safely across the water, or if we had made the eagle putt. But we both missed the eagle putt, so it didn't really help. I also knocked a wedge to 5 feet on the third and 9-iron to 7 feet on the 17th, for birdies. Our worst hole was the 9th, a dogleg "par 5" where my reasonable tee-shot left us 170 out. I chunked the approach, he missed right, and then we failed to get up and down :(

All I can say about my partner is that he was really quite good. Every drive of his was reliably in the fairway or a near-miss, except the 18th, which was the worst hole, with O.B. on both sides, to put pressure on my tee-shot for (but I hit a 3-wood safely down the fairway and his ball turned out OK). I think I improved his score by 6 or 7 strokes, and he improved mine by about 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sarehu posted:

Welp, today, I hit my tee-shot on the first hole an inch in-bounds, with the O.B. stake interfering with my backswing, then hit my second O.B., hit my third to 30 feet, and then holed the putt from there, for a birdie!

(I played in my first scramble today.)
Were those shots in the scramble? The OB stake interfering on your backswing and the subsequent shot going OB makes it sound like you were playing 1 ball by yourself.

• Locked thread