Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Controversial opinion, but I respect your right to have it.

Whether you love him or hate him, you HAVE TO respect Son Goku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Glagha posted:

Calling it, Frieza brings Cooler back to life, does a fusion dance to destroy the earth. Best idea, hire me

If you hire me as an editor.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Parrotine posted:

I am somewhat dumbfounded just what kind of power up could justify trumping both androids 17 & 18, android 16, a fully powered Cell, and Majin Buu with his twenty clown forms, without breaking our suspension of disbelief.

It may be dragon ball Z but there are rules dammit; I have no idea how they're going to pass this off as a plausible power up without shattering the pacing and steady growth that Toriyama has done so well over the course of the series history.

The minions wish that Freeza is "once again the strongest living being in the universe". The Dragon brings him back, making him stronger in the process. After Freezza is re-re-killed, Gohan and Piccolo marvel over the fact that they could've just used the dragonballs to power up all this time instead of training. Goku and Vegeta wish on the dragonballs that no one can ever wish for more power ever again out of childish spite. Move ends.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

The minions wish that Freeza is "once again the strongest living being in the universe". The Dragon brings him back, making him stronger in the process. After Freezza is re-re-killed, Gohan and Piccolo marvel over the fact that they could've just used the dragonballs to power up all this time instead of training. Goku and Vegeta wish on the dragonballs that no one can ever wish for more power ever again out of childish spite. Move ends.

I know this was tongue-in-cheek, but wasn't that an actual plot point during the Saiyan arc? They tried to wish the saiyans away or something, only for Shenron to go 'nope, can't kill anyone stronger than Kami'

I'm guessing that you can't wish to be the strongest when the strongest would mean overpowering the guy that made the drat dragon.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Mordaedil posted:

Let's not forget what the highlight of Battle of Z was.

I personally cannot wait to watch Freeza perform at a rock concert.

Battle of the bands, Freeza vs. Pilaf's gang, with the winner receiving the Dragon Balls.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Parrotine posted:

I know this was tongue-in-cheek, but wasn't that an actual plot point during the Saiyan arc? They tried to wish the saiyans away or something, only for Shenron to go 'nope, can't kill anyone stronger than Kami'

I'm guessing that you can't wish to be the strongest when the strongest would mean overpowering the guy that made the drat dragon.

This always confused me because the power of the dragons is basically reality warping. It'd be one thing if Shenron had to go up and fight them or shoot an energy beam out of his mouth, but he could just transmute their blood into poison or teleport their brains into a black hole.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

WickedHate posted:

This always confused me because the power of the dragons is basically reality warping. It'd be one thing if Shenron had to go up and fight them or shoot an energy beam out of his mouth, but he could just transmute their blood into poison or teleport their brains into a black hole.

You'd think the dragon could have just destroyed their space pods, leaving them in space with no air.

Don't tell me the dragons not as strong as their space pods.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

CubeTheory posted:

You'd think the dragon could have just destroyed their space pods, leaving them in space with no air.

Don't tell me the dragons not as strong as their space pods.

He doesn't even have to kill them. They could have just wished for the Saiyans to teleported to a remote corner of the universe where it would take millions of years to get to Earth.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Parrotine posted:

That's always been an inconsistent rule because an almighty dragon is bound to cause problems in a series like this.

He can't kill or alter (he couldn't revert 17 and 18 back to their human selves) anyone more powerful than him, yet he can resurrect anybody regardless of strength and could restore Goku to full power during the Buu saga.

Neo_Crimson posted:

He doesn't even have to kill them. They could have just wished for the Saiyans to teleported to a remote corner of the universe where it would take millions of years to get to Earth.

Actually to teleport someone he apparently needs to ask for permission first, remember he couldn't teleport Goku back to Earth after Namek because the didn't want to.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

There's a fun webcomic to be had out of things that the dragon could have done at various points in the show but for whatever reason didn't.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Petiso posted:

That's always been an inconsistent rule because an almighty dragon is bound to cause problems in a series like this.

He can't kill or alter (he couldn't revert 17 and 18 back to their human selves) anyone more powerful than him, yet he can resurrect anybody regardless of strength and could restore Goku to full power during the Buu saga.

Actually to teleport someone he apparently needs to ask for permission first, remember he couldn't teleport Goku back to Earth after Namek because the didn't want to.

Not really, he teleported everyone on Namek while it was blowing up back to earth and Vegeta certainly had no say in it. The dragon just does whatever the gently caress it wants and dismisses anything it doesn't feel like doing as "uhh that's against Dragon Law"

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

g0lbez posted:

Not really, he teleported everyone on Namek while it was blowing up back to earth and Vegeta certainly had no say in it. The dragon just does whatever the gently caress it wants and dismisses anything it doesn't feel like doing as "uhh that's against Dragon Law"

Shenron revived everyone on Namek, but Porunga did the mass-teleport-whether-you-want-to-or-not. Porunga also grants 3 wishes at a time and is buff as hell, I think it can do a bit more than Shenron (other than mass-revivals).

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Archenteron posted:

Shenron revived everyone on Namek, but Porunga did the mass-teleport-whether-you-want-to-or-not. Porunga also grants 3 wishes at a time and is buff as hell, I think it can do a bit more than Shenron (other than mass-revivals).

He gets mass-revivals in the Buu saga.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Really the Dragon existing and the ease to which they can get the balls makes all the main characters dicks, they should be using those 7 years after Cell to wish away all disease and famine and all sorts of other poo poo because why not.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Either Frieza becomes the new god of destruction or he was promoted to lord of the underworld after Dabura kicked the bucket. Either that or the green sludge dripping off of him in the trailer is some sort of plot device that he took a bath i- Ah gently caress.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Hobo Siege posted:

Either Frieza becomes the new god of destruction or he was promoted to lord of the underworld after Dabura kicked the bucket. Either that or the green sludge dripping off of him in the trailer is some sort of plot device that he took a bath i- Ah gently caress.

It's the Lazarus Pit

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Half of Dracula posted:

It's the Lazarus Pit

We can solve this though.

Everyone knows Superman versus Goku

and then you have Superman versus Batman.

so if we solve those equations then we can determine who wins in Goku versus Batman!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Hobo Siege posted:

I don't think the underworld is the same thing as the afterlife.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stallion Cabana posted:

so if we solve those equations then we can determine who wins in Goku versus Batman!
Well it would be Goku because he doesn't have that pesky weakness to kryptonite

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

bowmore posted:

Well it would be Goku because he doesn't have that pesky weakness to kryptonite

Alfred could cook Goku a buffet of fine food while Batman set up a trap

Actually, Batman trying to kill Goku in the same way Mr. Satan tried to kill Buu would be a fun little one-off.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh yes food, Goku's only weakness (but also his strength)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I should note that Beerus (Who is a pretty good judge for stuff like this.) Said that he seriously doubted that Goku could have beaten Freeza in his base form when they first met.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

I should note that Beerus (Who is a pretty good judge for stuff like this.) Said that he seriously doubted that Goku could have beaten Freeza in his base form when they first met.

To be fair that was with Goku at about as low as he could go without being weakened somehow.

If they pull something like Frieza just not using his final form on Namek the new movie can go gently caress itself though

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

TheKingofSprings posted:

To be fair that was with Goku at about as low as he could go without being weakened somehow.

If they pull something like Frieza just not using his final form on Namek the new movie can go gently caress itself though

There's no loving way they do that. Freeza conned Goku into letting him get to "100%" to begin with, it'd be the stupidest goddamn thing if suddenly he was never at his max power as some stupid-rear end long con.

As you can tell I'd be equally upset.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

TheKingofSprings posted:

If they pull something like Frieza just not using his final form on Namek the new movie can go gently caress itself though.
When asked about it freeza just snaps at you shouting that his dad was a dick for never telling it it was possible and his brother was the favored one anyway. :v:

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

if the design is good I probably won't care much.

Toriyama has made it pretty clear he's more or less over major transformations. Remember that God Goku is literally just Goku with red hair. Freeza's new form will be the same as his fourth, but with red orbs instead of purple.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Esroc posted:

Toriyama has made it pretty clear he's more or less over major transformations. Remember that God Goku is literally just Goku with red hair. Freeza's new form will be the same as his fourth, but with red orbs instead of purple.

God Goku is actually slimmer than regular Goku! :eng101:

I can see Freeza getting some big complex final final form and it ends up being his undoing, ending the film with a clear "transformations are dumb, you nerds" message.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Sadly, in this case Toriyama is dead wrong. Transformations are fun and throwing all the Super Saiyan stuff to the wayside is an over reaction.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Good old gohan still not using Mystic form at all or forgetting about it entirely.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

SirDrone posted:

Good old gohan still not using Mystic form at all or forgetting about it entirely.

That's not a "form" though. It's purely Gohan's inner potential brought forth via magic ritual, no transformations or augments. It's unclear how long this magic lasts and it's entirely possible it simply fades away after awhile, re-locking Gohan's potential for him to awaken on his own merits, which he never does since he doesn't train.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

TriffTshngo posted:

That's not a "form" though. It's purely Gohan's inner potential brought forth via magic ritual, no transformations or augments. It's unclear how long this magic lasts and it's entirely possible it simply fades away after awhile, re-locking Gohan's potential for him to awaken on his own merits, which he never does since he doesn't train.

Again. Honestly, I complete agree that transformation got incredible stale after SSJ, but Toriyama replaced it with he one gimmick that was actually more played out by that point.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I dunno, you'd kind of expect a god to be able to draw out more inner potential than some old guy. Especially when the old guy took like a minute while the god has a whole ritual going on.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BlitzBlast posted:

I dunno, you'd kind of expect a god to be able to draw out more inner potential than some old guy. Especially when the old guy took like a minute while the god has a whole ritual going on.

Well the god was also some old guy. Also din't he finish the ritual then forget to tell Gohan he actually finished it or am I not remembering correctly.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

e X posted:

Again. Honestly, I complete agree that transformation got incredible stale after SSJ, but Toriyama replaced it with he one gimmick that was actually more played out by that point.

Gohan having more power to use will never ever get stale.

I'd love it if the next movie just had someone go "nope turns out Gohan's still got more energy left to bring out" and then bam he's stronger than God Goku.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'd love it if the next movie just had someone go "nope turns out Gohan's still got more energy left to bring out" and then bam he's stronger than God Goku.

Then he forgets it next movie and it's back to God Goku

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I don't know if it ever came up before in this thread, but I recently came across a series on youtube, Dragonball Dissection, that takes an extended look at the manga, it's creation process, behind the scenes info and where various elements came from (and disappeared to), while also giving a personal critic. It updates rather irregular, but at the moment, it is up to the 23rd budokai arc. It can be a little bit on the fanboy-y side, but it still drat interesting and informative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRZamDg_Dw4

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

TheKingofSprings posted:

This will only happen in an OVA where an overprotective Gohan confront's Pan's first boyfriend.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
God Goku is a great user name.

Also I could not care less about what's going on in the current DBM special

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

facebook jihad posted:

Also I could not care less about what's going on in the current DBM special

Well do I have a surprise for you!

DBM posted:

Until the end of the special chapter, we'll release a minicomic on monday instead of a page!

Happy reading.

I'm not thrilled with these developments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Beautiful Ninja posted:

This will only happen in an OVA where an overprotective Gohan confront's Pan's first boyfriend.

I would unironically watch that.

• Locked thread