Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I've got a weird problem that just started with Chrome on my Windows 8 tablet. Sometimes, when I click, using the touchscreen, on some elements, it does this weird thing, and it won't let me click on some links.

But when I attach the keyboard and click using the trackpad, it works normally. I don't know if it's a Windows problem, or a Chrome problem, but it only happens in Chrome.

Ideas?

This is just the Chrome usability feature to make it easier to press the right link on sites designed for desktops. It's done that on Android for years. I doubt there's a way to disable it.

It will work if you just select the correct link from the zoomed version, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

wooger posted:

This is just the Chrome usability feature to make it easier to press the right link on sites designed for desktops. It's done that on Android for years. I doubt there's a way to disable it.

It will work if you just select the correct link from the zoomed version, right?

No, it doesn't.

e: This issue has been apparently been happening since the last Canary build in October.

Response from Google:

quote:

Hi All,

I just wanted to give an update that we are aware and have been working on this issue through the weekend. I will let you know as soon as we have an update.

Thank you,
Sarah

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 24, 2014

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Heran Bago posted:

No, it doesn't.

e: This issue has been apparently been happening since the last Canary build in October.

Response from Google:
How did it get out into the main build? I'm glad I'm not reliant on a touchscreen to use the Internet.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

How did it get out into the main build? I'm glad I'm not reliant on a touchscreen to use the Internet.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that Google sees the release version of Chrome as Beta Two: Electric Boogaloo.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Did the fonts on SA get ugly and big for anyone else in the last few days? Happened on my Windows PC 2-3 days ago and on my Chromebook this morning. At first I thought I was zoomed in but the header/footer/thread title, etc. all look normal. It's just the posts that are screwed up.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Did the fonts on SA get ugly and big for anyone else in the last few days? Happened on my Windows PC 2-3 days ago and on my Chromebook this morning. At first I thought I was zoomed in but the header/footer/thread title, etc. all look normal. It's just the posts that are screwed up.

Looks like the Tax changed the stylesheet fonts, someone in the Technical thread has made a stylish/userscript to revert back to the old "Better" font

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3657588&perpage=40&pagenumber=46#post438132402

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Ah, thanks.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Experto Crede posted:

Is there a way to script in chrome which will let me highlight a word, then right click and send that highlighted word to a web app's search URL to bring the results for that word up?

Heran Bago posted:

I use FastestFox for Chrome.

I use Simple=Select+Search. It's adequate, and works as expected. It doesn't sync your configured search engines between multiple chrome installations, but it has an import/export page where you can just copy/paste it. (Since I never change these, it hasn't been much of an inconvenience.)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

WoG posted:

I use Simple=Select+Search. It's adequate, and works as expected. It doesn't sync your configured search engines between multiple chrome installations, but it has an import/export page where you can just copy/paste it. (Since I never change these, it hasn't been much of an inconvenience.)

Isn't highlight and search a default function of chrome? I know it only lets me browse via Google but I always thought that's how everyone else dealt w/looking up uncommon word definitions.

Also, I have Google dictionary installed but I always forget how to enable it.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Alder posted:

Isn't highlight and search a default function of chrome? I know it only lets me browse via Google but I always thought that's how everyone else dealt w/looking up uncommon word definitions.

Also, I have Google dictionary installed but I always forget how to enable it.

"search google for ____" is, but the extension lets you plug it into any address with the standard %s notation. I have wiki, imdb, amazon, google images, a qr generator, a web app I use at work, etc.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The stupid zoom thing has been removed in the new version of Chrome! Touch Screen users go to the Menu>About Google Chrome to force the update.

e: It turns out that the fix in the updated version doesn't work for everyone, and the beta of the next version breaks it again.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 27, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Chrome Version 39.0.2171.65 m Stable

I have an odd Flash problem that I haven't seen anywhere else. I just did a manual update of the non-integrated Flash player, and now the integrated Flash plugin for Chrome appears to be gone.

My only option is to use the Pepper flash player, which is often really lovely. I often prefer to disable pepflash and use the integrated Chrome player.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can recover Chrome's integrated Flash player, short of a completely fresh install of Chrome?

edit: Problem solved. I needed to restart Chrome to finish an update.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 28, 2014

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

XboxPants posted:

My only option is to use the Pepper flash player, which is often really lovely. I often prefer to disable pepflash and use the integrated Chrome player.

The integrated player is Pepper, though?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone else having grief with the Adblock Plus extension, where it sometimes just locks up all IO with a message in the status bar saying "Waiting for Adblock Plus extension"? Disabling (and reenabling) makes it go away. I'm on 64bit beta-m.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.
I'm having a weird Chrome issue with Google Docs on a single computer: Whenever I enter text/numbers into a Google Sheet cell, the cell doesn't update until I switch to another tab or window, then switch back.

I've tried pretty much everything short of reformatting (which I can't do until this semester is over).

Has anyone else encountered this? I did post this on the Google support forums but never got an answer.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone else having grief with the Adblock Plus extension, where it sometimes just locks up all IO with a message in the status bar saying "Waiting for Adblock Plus extension"? Disabling (and reenabling) makes it go away. I'm on 64bit beta-m.

Anything Adblock Plus does, µBlock does better.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Whizbang posted:

Can it block anything by just clicking on block element and selecting it on webpage? That's very importnant feature for me. That and blocking the space the ad creates.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, it does. I've installed it and it seems to do pretty much the same things as Adblock Plus.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Uziel posted:

I'm having a weird Chrome issue with Google Docs on a single computer: Whenever I enter text/numbers into a Google Sheet cell, the cell doesn't update until I switch to another tab or window, then switch back.

I've tried pretty much everything short of reformatting (which I can't do until this semester is over).

Has anyone else encountered this? I did post this on the Google support forums but never got an answer.

I'm 99% sure that if you go to the Sheets settings menu there's an option for how often Sheets should refresh cell contents.

I don't have my computer to check, but I would start there.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, it does. I've installed it and it seems to do pretty much the same things as Adblock Plus.

I prefer plain Adblock myself.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I'm 99% sure that if you go to the Sheets settings menu there's an option for how often Sheets should refresh cell contents.

I don't have my computer to check, but I would start there.
Thanks, the options are for specific forumals and I think thats on a per sheet basis rather than all of Google Sheets.

My issue is all Google Sheets documents, and all cells, even those without formulas.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is this caused by Chrome or by some forums font-related thing?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

withak posted:

Is this caused by Chrome or by some forums font-related thing?

Have you tried disabling SALR and Adblock?
I'm running Chrome 39.0.2171.71 m without any problems.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Disabling SALR didn't help, I didn't try Adblock. The problem comes and goes, and right now it is gone so I can't experiment.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

withak posted:

Disabling SALR didn't help, I didn't try Adblock. The problem comes and goes, and right now it is gone so I can't experiment.
I'm just thinking with all the tweaking Lowtax & Co are doing to the style sheets these days, it could easily be SALR or something else like Adblock that fucks it up.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Whizbang posted:

Did someone in this thread recommend Adguard? I tried it before and it seemed fine, but I was showing up on reports at work saying I was accessing known spyware sites. Turns out it was looking at adtidy.org or something similar and for whatever reason that site is flagged.

I was just wondering if µBlock did anything like that.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Whizbang posted:

I installed it, but in the short time I messed around with it, I couldn't figure out how to whitelist certain youtube channels.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Since Chrome doesn't get automatically updated in Linux, is there a way to receive notifications when an update is available? I'm using the dev channel.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anyone know why some pages are being broken when I visit them?

Yes, I did refresh and it looked the same. It's not every site but it's annoying nevertheless.

Chrome: Version 39.0.2171.71 m (64-bit)

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I remember that happened, it was super annoying. I don't remember what I did to fix it. You refreshed by hitting shift+F5 to clear the cache?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Michael Scott posted:

I remember that happened, it was super annoying. I don't remember what I did to fix it. You refreshed by hitting shift+F5 to clear the cache?

Yeah and I went back a few times to be sure but it's still broken. Maybe it's my wireless connection...

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Fart of Presto posted:

Have you tried disabling SALR and Adblock?
I'm running Chrome 39.0.2171.71 m without any problems.

I've had the same thing happen a number of times. I disabled ABP for SA (not the extension itself) and it didn't help. I also had it happen on Facebook once. Names or titles of Facebook posts were mostly invisible and I had to hover for them to be visible.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I am the world's largest moron - I just locked my girlfriend out of her Google account.

I convinced her to turn on two-step verification and how to use Google Authenticator, and she was fine with that. Then, a few weeks later, I helped her swap phone plans - she got a new number, since she uses Google Voice and I figured we could just release her old "native" number and just forward the GV number to the new "native" number.

That worked fine for a week or so, until we ALSO had to wipe her Windows laptop after some nasty malware took up residence. I reinstalled, tried to log into her Google account, and... now there's no way for me to get the 2SV code. Of course I didn't get backups or update her backup phone number to point to her new native number, I told you I was a moron, didn't I?

We've completed the account recovery form twice, both denying her access to her account. Now, she does still have full access to her Google account on her phone, but she can't log in anywhere else. Any ideas on how to save the day in this situation?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Visit accounts.google.com on the phone?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Guy Axlerod posted:

Visit accounts.google.com on the phone?

I think it was asking me for a code there too, but I'll check. Thanks!

edit: No joy. It asks me for a 2SV code when trying to log in on the phone, even though the phone itself is logged in. loving stupid.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 11, 2014

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

GI_Clutch posted:

I've had the same thing happen a number of times. I disabled ABP for SA (not the extension itself) and it didn't help. I also had it happen on Facebook once. Names or titles of Facebook posts were mostly invisible and I had to hover for them to be visible.

I had to remove the SALR due to lagginess but after disabling ublock seemed to have fix it :sigh:

I just want to live in world w/ad-less sites.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Alt-text and other mouseover tooltips are gone again (39.0.2171.95 m / Windows 8.1.1 / GeForce 344.75).

I expect this to be fixed only at random because Google and Windows are in a cold war. Probably Google with all of Microsoft but their corporate structures make it hard to determine.

EDIT: Nevermind, they still work in Linux; now I have no faith they'll ever be fixed.

EDIT 2: And now it's back, same everything, no changes to extensions, no changes to drivers or programs, didn't even restart Chrome. What the hell.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 11, 2014

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Trying out the Canary channel. Where can I see a description of the changes for each update?

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
In the Chrome dev tools I have source maps enabled because I use things like coffeescript and SCSS. However, this makes the Network tab get spammed with .map file requests that I never will ever care to look at. Is there a way to automatically filter out these files from the network tab?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm having a weird issue where I can't access a particular website through Chrome. Works fine in IE and Firefox. I have tried disabling extensions, adblocking, pop up blocking, clearing cache, clearing cookies, updating Chrome, updating Windows.

The website is lumberjocks.com
What's weird is I can access the site through it's numeric IP: http://50.115.35.242/

This is the error message I get which is on a partial rendering of the website. I don't believe it is a Google message, but generated by that website.

quote:

Application Error Occurred
Oops! Application error occurred while processing this page. Email has been sent to us with the error report. We will try to resolve it as soon as possible.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Is there anything else on my end that could be causing the problem? The website believes it is on my end.

Only registered members can see post attachments!