Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I just finished the final campaign mission in Hyrule Warriors and wowowow what a game! I loved every second of that and two months ago I wasn't even considering playing this game! I'm so glad I picked this up because drat is it fun. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Captain Toad is easily worth the $40. It's a lot longer then I was expecting.

Wildtortilla posted:

I just finished the final campaign mission in Hyrule Warriors and wowowow what a game! I loved every second of that and two months ago I wasn't even considering playing this game! I'm so glad I picked this up because drat is it fun. :D

Now start adventure mode and get the DLC. You'll be busy with it for a long long time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Magma Road Marathon :stare:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

SeANMcBAY posted:

Now start adventure mode and get the DLC. You'll be busy with it for a long long time.

Every time I boot up Hyrule Warriors I am amazed at how much content I still haven't done. It's been a blast though, because I've been playing a good majority of my time with it with a friend in co-op. I still probably won't be finished with what I have by the time the Majora's Mask DLC comes out.

Basically, if you don't mind some repetition in the fighting, Hyrule Warriors is one of the best value games on the Wii U right now. I'm pushing 75 hours on it and probably have double that left to do.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Captain Toad just feels good to play, even if there could be some minor improvements (option to restart levels in the menu, diagonal/full-analog camera control, option to disable gyro camera movement.) It's fun and/or engaging 100% of the time, and it's really nice to look at, as was 3D World. There's no slogs or downtime. Everything loads quickly. It's cute as gently caress, like a one-year-old baby trying to blurt out his or her first words, or that video of a corgi jumping off a dock into a lake.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

SeANMcBAY posted:

God, you're telling me. I've finished maybe 2/3 of the first adventure map and I still have the next 2 of those and going back to the story and getting all the Skulltulas and then there's whatever they release in the next 2 dlc updates...it's almost an overwhelming amount of poo poo to do. Between that, Smash and Capt. Toad I think I'm set on videogames for a while.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You can press Y to turn off and on your headlight, I just discovered. I wonder if this actually has any use.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

greatn posted:

You can press Y to turn off and on your headlight, I just discovered. I wonder if this actually has any use.

I think it actually does. I came up behind a Shy Guy on the snowy train level, he saw my light on the crate in front of him, and did that "waow" jump thing and started chasing me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ultigonio posted:

I dunno. I just recently passed up 9 hours and I've completed all but one challenge in the main game (the challenge for the final boss, I can hardly even find half the coins I need) and the vast majority of the postgame content, with challenges completed there, too. And it's not like I'm trying to rush through this thing - I've even gone back and done a few of the time trials.

At any rate there's definitely 8-10 hours worth of stuff to do depending on how completionist you want to get.

I beat the final boss just now and every moment of this game has been as much of a joy as I hoped it would be. It met the hype. I've still got the postgame which I'll save for tomorrow. That challenge you mentioned has me baffled too. I thought I got all the coins in the level but I was almost 100 short. I wonder where they're hiding.

enojy posted:

I think it actually does. I came up behind a Shy Guy on the snowy train level, he saw my light on the crate in front of him, and did that "waow" jump thing and started chasing me.

Yep in dark levels it will alert Shy Guys to your presence even if they aren't facing you. I only ever actually needed to turn it off in one particular level that's designed around it with a challenge for not letting them spot you.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Haven't gotten to the level in question, but have you collected all the mushrooms on the stage? They give you 10 coins if you're still big when you pick it up.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

jivjov posted:

Haven't gotten to the level in question, but have you collected all the mushrooms on the stage? They give you 10 coins if you're still big when you pick it up.

There was one that I wasted because I was small, but that still leave 80-ish coins unaccounted for. I have a feeling there's some kind of huge hidden cache somewhere.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Regy Rusty posted:

There was one that I wasted because I was small, but that still leave 80-ish coins unaccounted for. I have a feeling there's some kind of huge hidden cache somewhere.

more like a huge hidden cash

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I know I am getting near the end. So far I am 100% except for the cannon level where you can only hit 10 things. Gonna do that later. Right now I am on the haunted house with the one middle gem that is off to the side. After burning through 10 lives trying to get it, I put the controller down.

E: Well, just have that 10 blocks challenge and the last 3 levels. The coin challenges. Ugh. I was very thorough on the final level and finished with 163 coins. So I am guessing there is an area with 7 hidden coins and another hidden golden mushroom.

For the race level, if you push up against a wall, after a few seconds he will stop running and you can move ahead. At least there is a 1 up on that level, assuming you get to it. The rising lava level looks like something you just have to practice. Shouldn't be too hard.

The difficulty in this game really ramps up in the final few levels.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 7, 2014

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Looper posted:

Oh, I don't actually know anything about Canadian economics, I just always noticed that books have a higher Canadian price listed on the back and assumed it was the same for everything

[Econ 201]

"The Canadian dollar is quite strong at the moment."

[glances at back of the Animorphs where he turns into a lizard] "Uhhhh..... Professor ??"

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

oddium posted:

[glances at back of the Animorphs where he turns into a lizard] "Uhhhh..... Professor ??"

The first book? I don't get it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

the truth posted:

The first book? I don't get it.

The back of the book would have had the suggested retail prices, which would look something like

US: $4.95
CAN: $7.95

and in no way reflected the exchange rate between the two currencies.

Presumably, between then and now, oddium has learned that book publishers simply like(d) to gouge Canadian consumers because they can. Since they do a combined print run for Canada and the US, though, we see both prices side by side.

Off-topic Animorphs-related anecdote: one day in grade 1 I finished the work early so I was allowed to read for the rest of the time. Wouldn't you know it, just as I finish my Animorphs book that I'd brought from home the teacher announces "free reading" for the last fifteen minutes of the day. As I had no other books with me, I simply read and re-read the order form in the back until it was time to go home.

The teacher told the class that I was the best reader in free reading that day.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 7, 2014

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

it should be illegal to talk about Captain Toad until it's released in Europe

King Crab
Nov 12, 2005

lets pretend i didnt say that and lets als0 pretend it isnt inevitable
I'm interested in picking up a Wii U, if I grabbed the basic model and then got an external hard drive then that beats the big plus the deluxe model has over it, right?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I need help on Battle Tower Blitz. You need 170 coins on that level. My first time through I got 165, but saw I missed three grass patches I couldn't reach because I'd already done the cannon section. As I suspected, those were worth 12 coins. So I replayed through the level, collecting all the same coins. Getting the mushroom halfway for ten coins. Not getting hit. And this time I got those turnips worth the 12 coins. My final score: 166 coins. I've replayed it like four times with the same result. Where the hell am I missing coins? I even watched a 100% walkthrough video on youtube and I swear he collected all the same coins as me. When you fire turnips is there some kind of bonus when you kill multiples at once possibly? Cause I'm pretty sure the videos coin count before getting in the cannon was the same as mine, but he ended with 177, which is the amount I SHOULD be finishing with(my original 165 plus the 12 from the grass I missed before)

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

King Crab posted:

I'm interested in picking up a Wii U, if I grabbed the basic model and then got an external hard drive then that beats the big plus the deluxe model has over it, right?

Should do, I believe. Otherwise, the digital deluxe promotion is ending this month, so the benefit you might have had from that would be going away.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

greatn posted:

I need help on Battle Tower Blitz. You need 170 coins on that level. My first time through I got 165, but saw I missed three grass patches I couldn't reach because I'd already done the cannon section. As I suspected, those were worth 12 coins. So I replayed through the level, collecting all the same coins. Getting the mushroom halfway for ten coins. Not getting hit. And this time I got those turnips worth the 12 coins. My final score: 166 coins. I've replayed it like four times with the same result. Where the hell am I missing coins? I even watched a 100% walkthrough video on youtube and I swear he collected all the same coins as me. When you fire turnips is there some kind of bonus when you kill multiples at once possibly? Cause I'm pretty sure the videos coin count before getting in the cannon was the same as mine, but he ended with 177, which is the amount I SHOULD be finishing with(my original 165 plus the 12 from the grass I missed before)

When you're in the cannon, look way up in the sky above where Toad is

Edit: actually that's a 1-UP. I dunno what you're missin. Blow into the controller you are probably missing invisible coins along the way

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Macaluso posted:

When you're in the cannon, look way up in the sky above where Toad is

Edit: actually that's a 1-UP. I dunno what you're missin. Blow into the controller you are probably missing invisible coins along the way

All I found up there was the one up but my total somehow ended up at 177 that time and I got the challenge complete. I could swear I didn't actually find anymore coins.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Champeenship posted:

This amiibo stuff seems pretty on par with what Iwata has said before.

I guess it seems surprising they're being discontinued only after two weeks, but that said, they second wave is days away, so they probably want that space from what I assume are the three least popular amiibos.

The problem with this is that Villager is as popular as some of his more available Amiibo friends, the supply doesn't match the demand, hence the inflated prices on ebay and such. Nintendo has kind of screwed themselves on taking advantage of this shortage and producing more before losing their customers to Ebay sales however, as they still have final production of Wave 2 for the international markets (Japan has them, supposedly North America will see them by Dec 12/14) and Wave 3 amiibo which come out in February and encompass a set almost as big as the first two (So will probably take almost all of the production time in January).

Its not unreasonable to assume they had to discontinue them because the Japan W1&2 shipment has shipped, North American retailers didn't get more and there are flat-out no more Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Marths to deliver. And now Nintendo can't order any more for production until after the Wave 3 ones finish production. It's also completely unreasonable to assume we won't see more Villager Amiibos re-ordered for production after Feb, Marth "reprints" when Robin / Lucina drop.

Personally it looks like the underproduction of the Wii Fit Trainer matches with the demand and plenty of people have been picking them up due to assumed rarity. Link was also a semi-limited run, but because there was no hype/insanity for Link as a rare figure he's in bountiful supply, because scalpers aren't buying 10 of him on the shelf hoping for 500% markup. You'll likely see a 'reprint' of Wii Fit in a slump in the next yr or so though, after they released most of the Amiibos and are looking for an 6th / 8th / 10th figure to round out a order/shipment for example..

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Isn't the actual (as opposed to perceived) rarity of Amiibo figures known? If there is a large reprint of wii fit trainer it will be because people still want to buy it, not at all to do with its value because long term we know exactly how actually rare these things are.

If there is a reprint of one but not the others it will make wii fit trainer less valuable.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Nolgthorn posted:

Isn't the actual (as opposed to perceived) rarity of Amiibo figures known? If there is a large reprint of wii fit trainer it will be because people still want to buy it, not at all to do with its value because long term we know exactly how actually rare these things are.

If there is a reprint of one but not the others it will make wii fit trainer less valuable.

Reprints in alternate color schemes, just to mess with both the OCD collectors and the "first print only!" brand of crazy.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Reprints of male WFT only.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

greatn posted:

Spoilers

Just go over the level slowly and completely and you will find them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Got the challenge for the final boss in Captain Toad. If anyone is still having trouble on that there are in fact 2 gold mushrooms in that level, both of the invisible plant variety. One is right near the beginning between two stacks of coins, and the other is in the part where you have to turn the pillar around way out on the ledge that you don't otherwise need to walk to. The coin requirement isn't even close to tight with these, so don't worry if you get hurt and lose out on the two 10 coin mushrooms.

I've still got one challenge left to unlock whatever is at the end of the Bonus book - the redo of Trick-Track Hall in the Bonus stages. There must be a gold mushroom somewhere, but I haven't been able to figure out where.

E: And as soon as I post I find it in a spot I swear I checked before.

E2: Oh god the thing it unlocks is impossibly hard.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 7, 2014

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Regy Rusty posted:

Let's collect 5000 coins together, Regy Rusty.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ultigonio posted:

Let's collect 5000 coins together, Regy Rusty.

I made it to 3500 but the boos oh no not the boos.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

After playing four hours of mario sunshine, for the first time since its initial release I can officially say -

The Blue Coins are the very worst design decision ever. Their sheer number (30 per level!) ensures that you'll go crazy trying to find the last little bastard, every single time. It practically demands a walkthrough.

I've been 100%ing each mario game as I go, but I really think I might just skip the blue coin hunt entirely.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

I've been 100%ing each mario game as I go, but I really think I might just skip the blue coin hunt entirely.

That's the right choice. There's nothing remotely interesting about it, and you don't unlock anything for getting all the shines.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Captain Toad, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros, and Hyrule Warriors should be in the recommended games area in the OP, I think.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Toad Brigade Magikoopa Keep made me throw my controller. Haven't done that in a long time.

Pro-tip, go to the top and take out the magikoopas then backtrack. You'll save a LOT of grief.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Waltzing Along posted:

Toad Brigade Magikoopa Keep made me throw my controller. Haven't done that in a long time.
You threw the gamepad? :ohdear:

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Narcissus1916 posted:

After playing four hours of mario sunshine, for the first time since its initial release I can officially say -

The Blue Coins are the very worst design decision ever. Their sheer number (30 per level!) ensures that you'll go crazy trying to find the last little bastard, every single time. It practically demands a walkthrough.

Like Regy Rusty said, ignoring the blue coins is the correct choice. Mario Sunshine is a fun game aside from that, and I think it does some neat things with its setting. I'd really like to see it get an HD remake because just like the Swift Sail greatly improved Wind Waker something simple like a Blue Coin Radar could improve Mario Sunshine.

Inverness posted:

Captain Toad, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros, and Hyrule Warriors should be in the recommended games area in the OP, I think.

This is also a great idea! Ultigonio, you think maybe the Wii U recommended section could be split up by year so that it could be updated in an organized manner?

I haven't even unwrapped Captain Toad yet. My biggest problem with the Wii U is that I don't have time to play all of these great games. :(

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Help Im Alive posted:

it should be illegal to talk about Captain Toad until it's released in Europe

it should be illegal to be european

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Sunshine has infuriated me more in four hours than all of the time I threw in to 100% Mario 64. And the camera is really and truly terrible, to the point where this is the one Mario game I wouldn't want my nephew to play until he gets past the controller throwing stage of adolescence. Plus, I'm not sure exactly why but the controls don't feel anywhere near as "tight" as 64 or Galaxy.

And yet, there's still an elegance to the world design that completely captivates. Some of the shines are devilishy designed in the best of ways. So I'll keep going.

And for comparison's sake, I got all the star coins in the two NSMB games I've played.

I also played Luigi's Mansion for the first time and had a blast. Definitely going to track down the sequel, since my 2DS hasn't gotten much love since blazing through 3d Land.

But between Double Dash and Wind Waker and Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion - I kinda forgot just how weird and experimental Nintendo got in the gamecube era. Both in a good and not so good way.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Regy Rusty posted:

I love when bright, colorful, cartoony Nintendo games are described in a way you would describe like Ninja Gaiden or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Inverness posted:

It has been done! I also added Stealth Inc. 2 for good measure (and removed Nano Assault Neo, since it's no longer exclusive).

CatsPajamas posted:

This is also a great idea! Ultigonio, you think maybe the Wii U recommended section could be split up by year so that it could be updated in an organized manner?
Dividing up the current list by year would probably make for a pretty erratic-looking layout. However, since it seems like our current retail recommended games count - 14 - will nearly double by the end of 2015, I think I'll separate them into categories of 2012-2014 and 2015. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Locked thread