Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

More Twilight Time releases...

March 10th:
The Bounty (1984)
Solomon and Sheba (1959)
The First Men in the Moon (1964)
Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) - 4K remaster
U Turn (1997)

April 14th:
The Story of Adele H (1975)
The Fantasticks (1995)
April Love (1957)
The Remains of the Day (1993)
Richard III (1995)

Do you happen to know when they're putting out the Fright Night reissue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wait, Miami Connection is out of print? Huh. If that's the case, I feel super good about picking up a copy at my Drafthouse for 13 bucks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They'll run more as soon as they're sold out of what they have. It's not a rights situation.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Do you happen to know when they're putting out the Fright Night reissue?

Preorder is December 30th. I think it's the second week of January that it comes out. I predict it to sell out before the 31st.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

If anyone here wanted the Adam West Batman series there's a non-limited edition blu-ray set coming out this week. Online prices seem to have it at 179.99, but this week's Best Buy flyer is advertising it for 150. The discs have all the same content it just doesn't come in a box with all the stupid trading cards, toy cars, and Batpole dildos.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

CPL593H posted:

If anyone here wanted the Adam West Batman series there's a non-limited edition blu-ray set coming out this week. Online prices seem to have it at 179.99, but this week's Best Buy flyer is advertising it for 150. The discs have all the same content it just doesn't come in a box with all the stupid trading cards, toy cars, and Batpole dildos.

The batpole dildos are what make the set worthwhile though?

Seriously, though, the set does rule. The color scheme pops in high def, and I can never get enough of Burgess Meredith.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Is the ad showing the set without all that crap at $150, or the big rear end set for $150? Because online it's showing the big rear end one, and I don't want it because I have no place to put all that garbage.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Is the ad showing the set without all that crap at $150, or the big rear end set for $150? Because online it's showing the big rear end one, and I don't want it because I have no place to put all that garbage.

It actually shows the DVD box with "Blu-ray 149.99" under it, so I might have jumped the gun. But the release date for the set without all the stupid junk is Tuesday so I just assumed that this is what the price refers to. If you go to buy that set on Tuesday and they ring it up as being more just show them the flyer that says 149.99 and they'll honor that price. I've had stuff like this happen before and the kids in there making 8 bucks an hour don;t care enough to gently caress around about which set is which.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

It actually shows the DVD box with "Blu-ray 149.99" under it, so I might have jumped the gun. But the release date for the set without all the stupid junk is Tuesday so I just assumed that this is what the price refers to. If you go to buy that set on Tuesday and they ring it up as being more just show them the flyer that says 149.99 and they'll honor that price. I've had stuff like this happen before and the kids in there making 8 bucks an hour don;t care enough to gently caress around about which set is which.

On the website they don't have the blu-ray without all the junk in it at all, and they have the DVD complete series for $115. So who the hell knows. I'll go in and check it out on Tuesday.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
So the consensus on the new Cowboy Bebop release is that it's really good, with the exception of a few CG shots that would have been expensive to re-do in HD.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Slate Action posted:

So the consensus on the new Cowboy Bebop release is that it's really good, with the exception of a few CG shots that would have been expensive to re-do in HD.

Good, because I pre-ordered that long ago. I have the DVDs that were released way too dark. Almost anything was going to be an upgrade. Now I just hope they re-release the blurays (even quietly) just to fix the audio issues. Since I'm a drat heathen apparently because I like to listen to the show in English.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just snapped up The World At War (40th anniversary remastered edition) with some birthday money. A complete steal: AUD$48 including postage. Amazon UK often seems to be crazy cheap for blurays even when factoring in shipping.

Anyway I've been dying to watch this documentary series (all 26+ hours of it) for a long time, and I can't wait. Has anyone else got this set, and is it as good as it promises to be?

Oh, and there's a note on the aspect ratio:

Amazon page posted:

The decision to convert the aspect ratio from the original 4:3 to 16:9 was taken after months of tests and reviews. The primary reason for this that for most viewers now own a widescreen TV, so expect programmes to be in this format, and also because with any HD material for broadcast, the broadcasters expect widescreen material. As the aim of the project was to create restored masters (at great expense) for multiple use (ie Blu-ray, DVD and broadcast), there was no option other than going down the 16:9 route.

It was essential that this be done as sensitively as possible. The process of aspect ratio conversion from 4:3 to 16:9 was done by firstly going back to the original materials and then using ‘Pan & Scan’ to ensure that all of the essential picture detail is retained. The panning and scanning process can be notorious if done badly where the screen is basically lazily cropped, losing vital information. With this in mind in this instance each frame was panned and scanned according to strict guidelines following the tests done to ensure that the focus of the picture is always on the most important action so that we retained the quality of the original series.

Seems fair enough!

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 16, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hedrigall posted:

I just snapped up The World At War (40th anniversary remastered edition) with some birthday money. A complete steal: AUD$48 including postage. Amazon UK often seems to be crazy cheap for blurays even when factoring in shipping.

Anyway I've been dying to watch this documentary series (all 26+ hours of it) for a long time, and I can't wait. Has anyone else got this set, and is it as good as it promises to be?

I saw the 10th anniversary rerun. It is very close to a definitive document.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's amazing and it just makes you realize how poo poo any US produced documentary is on the subject because they can't show things like Hitler at a party enjoying boobs etc

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hedrigall posted:

Oh, and there's a note on the aspect ratio:

Seems fair enough!

The cropping is really noticeable, particularly in interviews, and I didn't think it was that spectacular over the DVDs.

And that note's bullshit because they had to scan everything in so they could have cleaned up the original 4:3 for home release and than cropped that to 16:9 for TV.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Abu Dave posted:

It's amazing and it just makes you realize how poo poo any US produced documentary is on the subject because they can't show things like Hitler at a party enjoying boobs etc

This seems like it should be a popular .gif by now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

We really are missing out. (NWS)

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 16, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Hoooooly poo poo.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Update on the Batman sale at Best Buy. It is in fact the big collector's edition, and not the standard box. I got it anyway.

Also holy hitler boobs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Update on the Batman sale at Best Buy. It is in fact the big collector's edition, and not the standard box. I got it anyway.

Also holy hitler boobs.

What I'm noticing online is that the price of those "limited edition" sets is dipping a little below the price of the regular one. It makes me wonder if they over estimated the demand for an over priced box set full of toys and retailers are just trying to unload them as fast as they can.

edit: If anyone didn't know yet the limited edition is a run of 95,000 copies so between that and the pricing they didn't exact fly off the shelf.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Crossposting this from The Wire thread in TVIV since we were talking about it earlier in the thread.

Call Me Charlie posted:

It looks like Amazon jumped the gun and uploaded the widescreen version to Amazon Prime. Doesn't seem to be playing in HD yet even though it has the HD tag on the selection screen.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 17, 2014

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

What I'm noticing online is that the price of those "limited edition" sets is dipping a little below the price of the regular one. It makes me wonder if they over estimated the demand for an over priced box set full of toys and retailers are just trying to unload them as fast as they can.

edit: If anyone didn't know yet the limited edition is a run of 95,000 copies so between that and the pricing they didn't exact fly off the shelf.

I had to rearrange my whole shelf to fit the loving thing, and really wish it didn't have all the extra crap and the huge box, but the cards are cool and there's a button on the box you can press that plays the theme, so really it's a wash.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

I had to rearrange my whole shelf to fit the loving thing, and really wish it didn't have all the extra crap and the huge box, but the cards are cool and there's a button on the box you can press that plays the theme, so really it's a wash.

I've probably mentioned it here more than once, but I just really hate these stupid box sets that come with a premium price and a bunch of useless tacky poo poo. It adds nothing to the purchase and then just leaves you with a bunch of stupid crap that you either have to find somewhere for or just throw in the garbage. It's just such a waste.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm sick of stupid boxsets that are shaped like heads.

Although tbh, that Caesar bust is pretty cool, but I just wouldn't have anywhere to put it.

loving Electro's goofy as poo poo head though, who in their right mind would want to own that?

edit: More ridiculous rear end poo poo here: http://www.toplessrobot.com/2011/06/20_obnoxiously_clunky_examples_of_dvd_packaging.php

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 17, 2014

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I've probably mentioned it here more than once, but I just really hate these stupid box sets that come with a premium price and a bunch of useless tacky poo poo. It adds nothing to the purchase and then just leaves you with a bunch of stupid crap that you either have to find somewhere for or just throw in the garbage. It's just such a waste.

I used to like this poo poo when I was 14, but at this point I just want a nice looking box and packaging that fits easily on my shelf without taking up much room. The Alien blu-ray set is still the gold standard for this.

This is the blu-ray equivalent to the DVD box set that came in a classic movie Caesar bust. But the DVD one had way more poo poo, and is still, I believe, the only place you can get the complete TV series and animated series from back in the day. I still own it despite having the smaller blu-ray set just for that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CPL593H posted:

I love the tacky poo poo though. I'll display it or something. I got the Breaking Bad set for Christmas, and while it's really big and silly, it was also a lot cheaper (probably for it's impracticality) than the regular box set. You can stick the poo poo on a wall or something so people can go "Oh hey cool."

But then again, I like collecting movie things. So I dunno. And I have a place for the set. The only box set that annoys me is the Bond set, with all the films. It's just too long and doesn't go anywhere. The Twin Peaks set is perfect and probably the best box set I've ever seen. The package is great, it doesn't take up much room, and the only thing it comes with is pretty cool and not tacky at all.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I love the tacky poo poo though. I'll display it or something. I got the Breaking Bad set for Christmas, and while it's really big and silly, it was also a lot cheaper (probably for it's impracticality) than the regular box set. You can stick the poo poo on a wall or something so people can go "Oh hey cool."

But then again, I like collecting movie things. So I dunno. And I have a place for the set. The only box set that annoys me is the Bond set, with all the films. It's just too long and doesn't go anywhere. The Twin Peaks set is perfect and probably the best box set I've ever seen. The package is great, it doesn't take up much room, and the only thing it comes with is pretty cool and not tacky at all.

The Bond set fits perfectly on an Ikea bought Billy The Bookcase.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

TheJoker138 posted:

This is the blu-ray equivalent to the DVD box set that came in a classic movie Caesar bust. But the DVD one had way more poo poo, and is still, I believe, the only place you can get the complete TV series and animated series from back in the day. I still own it despite having the smaller blu-ray set just for that.

I want this. It's so ridiculous.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'll have to get a new shelf, but the one I have, the thing takes up one entire shelf, and it sticks out really far. It's not a big deal or anything. But it's the only set that's more frustrating than the others. I usually just stick it at the top of the shelf.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I want this. It's so ridiculous.

It's easily the dumbest box set I own, and I have the Avengers and Blade Runner briefcases. It also makes everyone who sees it uncomfortable because it's one of those things where the eyes follow you around wherever you are.

CelticPredator posted:

I'll have to get a new shelf, but the one I have, the thing takes one entire shelf, and it sticks out really far. It's not a big deal or anything. But it's the only set that's more frustrating than the others. I usually just stick it at the top of the shelf.

It's the only weirdly long set I have that actually fits nicely lengthwise on any of my shelves. The briefcases don't fit, the new Batman 60's collection doesn't fit. But Bond sits perfectly flush with the shelf.

E: The only dumb box set I own that I still really, really like is the Hellraiser one. For obvious reasons. It looks really nice next to my Nightmare on Elm Street glove replica.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

This has to be the benchmark for dumb sets

Rocco
Mar 15, 2003

Hey man. You're number one. Put it. In. The Bucket.
Ehh, yeah, but at least the Alien is a cool design, you know? Giger's stuff is great. A giant blue Jamie Foxx head looks like poo poo no matter the context.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Steve Yun posted:

This has to be the benchmark for dumb sets

This is the best set actually. I'd kill for a giant affordable Alien head.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

That set is actually better than the normal Quadrilogy box set without any gimmicks, because at least it doesn't have a fold out that's longer than my coffee table.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When I got that, the thing was literally as tall as me. I loved it so much as a kid.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

CelticPredator posted:

When I got that, the thing was literally as tall as me. I loved it so much as a kid.

It was my favorite Christmas break ever. Tons of candy, watching remastered Alien films and playing Tony Hawk Underground. Then at night, watching all the supplemental material. Rewatching the films with commentary. Quadrilogy and Anthology really are great sets.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
If you dig steelbooks, Total Recall (the original) dropped to $12.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ACB2VKNJPZDIB5M

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I ordered the Superman Motion Picture Anthology from Amazon Marketplace, and it very obvious the UK version of the release. I don't really care if it a UK version as I already have Aladdin, Jurassic Park Trilogy, and the Harry Potter films from there. The thing is, will it work in region one, as there are some random blu-rays from the UK that just won't work on region one players.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Rirse posted:

I ordered the Superman Motion Picture Anthology from Amazon Marketplace, and it very obvious the UK version of the release. I don't really care if it a UK version as I already have Aladdin, Jurassic Park Trilogy, and the Harry Potter films from there. The thing is, will it work in region one, as there are some random blu-rays from the UK that just won't work on region one players.

The version for sale on Amazon.co.uk is marked All Regions, so you're probably good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

morestuff posted:

The version for sale on Amazon.co.uk is marked All Regions, so you're probably good.

That's good, as I got it for a good price and rather not like returning it.

• Locked thread