Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just so no one's confused... I'm not debating from the stance that NMS is guaranteed success. Only that what's been shown looks like good entertainment, and that I have no reason to assume it's all just bullshit and smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I was just backstage at the Sumo Digital press conference and you'll never believe what I heard. Apparently those "Sack Boys" in their Little Big Planet games that we are all supposed to believe are stuffed toys aren't even filled with real polystyrene beads... it's all bullshit. They're, get this, digital wireframes textured to look like real toys.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

Feenix posted:

Just so no one's confused... I'm not debating from the stance that NMS is guaranteed success. Only that what's been shown looks like good entertainment, and that I have no reason to assume it's all just bullshit and smoke.

I'm exactly in the same boat. The premise and the art style are so appealing to me that I'm way more excited about NMS than stuff that's almost guaranteed to be good, like Bloodborne.

I like exploration games in general, so even if there wasn't much gameplay besides just flying around, I'll be quite happy to do just that for quite a long time. If there's a bunch of other interesting gameplay systems, even better.

The game promises so much that there will certainly be tons of people that will be disappointed about what it eventually offers. That's the curse of coming up with something incredibly exciting and generating all that hype.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

I was just backstage at the Sumo Digital press conference and you'll never believe what I heard. Apparently those "Sack Boys" in their Little Big Planet games that we are all supposed to believe are stuffed toys aren't even filled with real polystyrene beads... it's all bullshit. They're, get this, digital wireframes textured to look like real toys.

Sumo Digital needs to get off their lazy asses and make a sequel to Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Did the steam release of FF7 have the w-item glitch in it? I'm not about to farm elixirs to feed the magic pots without it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
gently caress that, where is my underwater exploration game, Sony? Complete with exploration of the abyssal plain

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

blackguy32 posted:

gently caress that, where is my underwater exploration game, Sony? Complete with exploration of the abyssal plain

Just take your space ship in No Man's Sky and fly it into the ocean, you dummy!

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Tearaway gives you actual paper printouts to make things from the game so you were close

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi_uHSTbL6g

Looks like the PC version with anti-aliasing, which is disappointing, especially after we got "remasters" like TLoU and GTA5.

It wouldn't take much effort to create at least a bit better character models. I know it kind of fits the artistic style, but goddamn, look at Glottis.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

blackguy32 posted:

If you have a PS3 and are willing to spend $160 you could get an English version of Aquanaut's Holiday

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno about Dwarf Fortress but in Minecraft you can collect and manipulate things, not to mention fight. If you could do that stuff in this game, wouldn't they have shown that by now? The latest trailer is also just passively observing the world.

To me, the most interesting part in Minecraft is the first couple of days. You have to find food and shelter and simply survive. After you've spent a couple of days punching grass and trees, you have enough seeds to never starve and tools to dig for minerals and after that the pretty much the only way you'll die is if you gently caress up somehow. I guess if you never built a shelter, or never settled down anywhere it could get pretty tense, especially outside at night.

e: In other words, the "fly to planets and look at pretty animals" gameplay they've shown so far does not look interesting to me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

AxeManiac posted:

Just take your space ship in No Man's Sky and fly it into the ocean, you dummy!

I think that actually works

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Metanaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi_uHSTbL6g

Looks like the PC version with anti-aliasing, which is disappointing, especially after we got "remasters" like TLoU and GTA5.

It wouldn't take much effort to create at least a bit better character models. I know it kind of fits the artistic style, but goddamn, look at Glottis.

It's.. it's not even widescreen? Oh man, this is bumming me out big time. I was hoping for new models and backgrounds. Cripes!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Policenaut posted:

If you have a PS3 and are willing to spend $160 you could get an English version of Aquanaut's Holiday

Tempting but I think I'll just get a documentary to hold me over.

burntloser
Mar 28, 2006

Quilted for her pleasure.
Well, poo poo. Tomb Raider just crashed to the dashboard and my save file corrupted. Luckily, it backed up the corrupt file to the PS+ cloud, so I'm completely hosed. :doh:

Anything else I could try before I start a new game?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

burntloser posted:

Well, poo poo. Tomb Raider just crashed to the dashboard and my save file corrupted. Luckily, it backed up the corrupt file to the PS+ cloud, so I'm completely hosed. :doh:

Anything else I could try before I start a new game?

Nah it's hosed. Were you at the beach with all the survivors? It doesn't sound like it because that's far enough in to be a 'gently caress this I'm done' situation but for future reference quitting the game while in that area has an extremely high corruption rate that was never fixed so move to a different area before quitting.

Also you can switch to a different save slot so you'll be able to continue from a working one if something breaks again.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I just played some PVZ for the first time and wow this game is actually really fun. I just played the defense mode not the pvp mode but I'm surprised how well it all worked out.

blackguy32 posted:

You could spend a long time just diving around exploring the pacific in GTA V. They actually put a lot of hidden poo poo in there including sea wrecks and even a crashed UFO.

burntloser
Mar 28, 2006

Quilted for her pleasure.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Nah it's hosed. Were you at the beach with all the survivors? It doesn't sound like it because that's far enough in to be a 'gently caress this I'm done' situation but for future reference quitting the game while in that area has an extremely high corruption rate that was never fixed so move to a different area before quitting.

Also you can switch to a different save slot so you'll be able to continue from a working one if something breaks again.

I just got to the shanty town. Went to open the map after getting the "tomb nearby" ping and it poo poo the bed.
I'm guessing I was like 50% in? Welp, I'll be using a few different save slots this time around.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Can't wait to zone out and fly through space, see a planet off in the distance, fly towards it, break through its atmosphere, and find out it's already been discovered by DEEZ_NUTZ_69.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

burntloser posted:

I just got to the shanty town. Went to open the map after getting the "tomb nearby" ping and it poo poo the bed.
I'm guessing I was like 50% in? Welp, I'll be using a few different save slots this time around.

Yeah, Shanty Town is about half way. Thankfully when my save corrupted at the beach near 75% I had a save at Shanty Town I created for pretty much no reason whatsoever.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

AxeManiac posted:

It's.. it's not even widescreen? Oh man, this is bumming me out big time. I was hoping for new models and backgrounds. Cripes!

Honestly I'm just glad to have a playable version without pirating or tinkering the poo poo out of it. I'm imagining what it would look like it Double Fine completely redid the visuals and it would lose a lot of the game's charm.

Even making it widescreen would sort of ruin it.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

lol double fine continue to be a bunch of hacks

Only good thing is peeps can now buy a 15+ year old game again

And no mans sky looks like a pretty game that I'll buy on steam and discover is poo poo trash garbage

Steve2911 posted:

I'm imagining what it would look like it Double Fine completely redid the visuals and it would lose a lot of the game's charm.

Even making it widescreen would sort of ruin it.

lol

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Dec 7, 2014

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

Apparently they're trying to keep it VERY faithful to the original, it'll just look better and sharper. One of the big improvements is that the cutscenes will use the original video files and will look a LOT better - not drowned in compression artifacts.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Is there a Garden Warfare thread? If anybody wants to play this free PSPoor poo poo with me go ahead and add me:

Static_Rook

I just started and got a bunch of free sticker packs and I don't know what's going on.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

BreakAtmo posted:

Apparently they're trying to keep it VERY faithful to the original, it'll just look better and sharper. One of the big improvements is that the cutscenes will use the original video files and will look a LOT better - not drowned in compression artifacts.

Also that it will run at all, which is a challenge for modern PCs trying to play the original version.

They will probably add proper analogue control, rather than having to use tank controls.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

And no mans sky looks like a pretty game that I'll buy on steam and discover is poo poo trash garbage

And you still will purchased it. Problem is, what if the PS4 gets it for free from PSN+? Then, you are on the losing end of trash-garbage having investing in raw money for it, instead of getting it as a possible 1/2 PS4(1/6) PSN+ titles in one month.

Are you going to deny that sort of freebie, if only to then get more free games to poo poo on? I mean on one hand, $50+ a year in games to poo poo on across three consoles/handhelds or the like, just allows an endless opportunity! Like that branches you out to 3 more more Playstation threads, I mean I don't want to crunch the numbers but let's say you do like 5-10 posts per day in a playstation related thread, about how garbage everything is, along with the superior graphics only a N'Vidia gtx790i can provide, then you can get to something like 25-50 posts a day in about how loving garbage this poo poo is, and then I think we can finally convince the mainstream #gamegate media with how unethical this all is!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The fighting game list for current gen continues to grow, Dead or Alive 5 Last Round is coming to PS4 on February 17.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

BreakAtmo posted:

I just wanted 1080p widescreen and higher poly models, like what was used in the cutscenes. Oh man, but yeah, I'll take any chance to get a fully playable, non buggy version again.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

What the hell, I didn't read the thread for a day and came back to nearly 1500 new posts. Something exciting happen?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Fraction posted:

What the hell, I didn't read the thread for a day and came back to nearly 1500 new posts. Something exciting happen?

Final Fantasy VII remake for PS4!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Kirios posted:

My hope is Sony comes out with a special edition limited run PS4 every year so we can get these sob stories every year.

Most of the other LE systems have just been painted HD covers so doubtful we'll see too many like the 20th anniversary ps4.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Fraction posted:

Yakuza happened. All over my face. And I loved it.

Also Meowbot had a pretty cool breakdown. Hope you're doing okay, Meowbot!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Hey guys maybe they're just making a cool space game that lets you explore randomly generated planets and stuff and fly around and go pew pew and there is a response to a trailer that is somewhere between overblown hype and massive cynicism.

I know this is the internet and hyperbole reigns and all. But this is a really dumb post. Sorry goons are excited/concerned.

People are speculating about a game basted on similar past experiences because whats shown was purposefully vague. Seeing as there are fps hud elements and nothing to do with them, it really seems like they are misrepresenting how the game is going to play. Oh, am I being massively cynical again? I did voice a concern I had.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if they don't demo crafting/combat/getting off your first planet/etc. they aren't going to sell me on their game.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Bombadilillo posted:

I know this is the internet and hyperbole reigns and all. But this is a really dumb post. Sorry goons are excited/concerned.

People are speculating about a game basted on similar past experiences because whats shown was purposefully vague. Seeing as there are fps hud elements and nothing to do with them, it really seems like they are misrepresenting how the game is going to play. Oh, am I being massively cynical again? I did voice a concern I had.

There was the part of the trailer where he landed on a planet, got out, spun in a circle, and then got back in his spaceship and took off again. I bet they're still trying to get the space travel to work and haven't made the FPS mechanics yet.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
A lot of people still don't seem to know what No Man's Sky is, despite the developers explaining how the game works over and over again in every interview.

Heres a nice summary courtesy of neogaf

quote:

● You start on a random planet. Planet may be tough, may be easy. It's procedural.
● 90% of the planets are barren of life, emulating our actual universe. 10% will have life/civilization/story elements/etc.
● But every planet, no matter how barren of life, has resources for you to gather. You need these resources to continue your journey deeper into toward the center of the galaxy. Fuel, ship parts, cargo to sell, etc.
● The more resources you gather, the more you screw with the ecosystem, the more you gain the attention of a mysterious 'robot' protector that is meant to keep the balance in the universe and prevent destruction of ecosystems.
● The longer you harvest a planet, the tougher the robot guards they send at you - there are bipedal ones and ones that walk on four legs, but there's a multitude of different types.
● The goal of the game is to get to the center of the galaxy. Something mysterious is going on there, and you're trying to find out what it is. The closer you get to the center, the tougher the game gets - more enemy fleets, more enemies in space, more enemies on planets. Tougher evolved life.
● Each solar system has space stations you can go to. The bigger the solar system, the bigger the space station. Bigger the space station, the better equipment you can get there. You can follow any ship you see in space back to their space station of origin and buy the ship, for example.
● But you also can buy a host of other items that speed up resource gathering, ability to deal with enemies, ship upgrades, etc.
● There are portals - like you saw in the trailer - that once entered, will put you into a completely different part of the universe. What will be on the other hand is a complete mystery, but some will lead to great secrets.
● The narrative is there, but the game is made so that you never have to actually follow it if you don't like. It CAN be a 'walking simulator', it CAN be a game where you gather resources or make a planet your home base. But the goal is, and it takes 40-100 hours approximately to do it, is to find out what's going on in the center of the universe.
● There is a messaging service that you can use to talk to other players, but it's very possible you can pass another player and never even realize it's a real person. How social you want to get is up to you.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

i don't think they are misrepresenting it by doing that. i mean, if you were shown a minecraft video that was just people exploring caves would that misrepresent it? people are excited for whats actually been shown, and as long as that part is intact they will probably like the game :shrug:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

VarXX posted:

A lot of people still don't seem to know what No Man's Sky is, despite the developers explaining how the game works over and over again in every interview.

they should show 3 minutes of any of this to sell me the game

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
They showed some of it in the 30 minute behind the scenes thing from GameInformer. It was really interesting.

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2014/12/05/take-a-30-minute-behind-the-scenes-tour-of-no-mans-sky.aspx

They didn't really show off the crafting though, but you can see a glimpse of some of the first person animations off screen during the interview. Really the only things they haven't shown off at this point in a trailer are first person combat and the crafting system which ill assume aren't in a polished enough state that they want to show yet (Game has been in development just a little over 2 years).

VarXX fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

VarXX posted:

Most of that sounds awful, especially the minecraft-like poo poo.

Still gonna buy it.

• Locked thread