Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

jassi007 posted:

I did not see the stream. What confirms no bob or goyf?

Nothing, that I heard at least. I think mcmagic is assuming based on the expansion of the sets drawn from, but it's still a Modern Masters set, from all of the Modern cards, and 'goyf and Bob are still some of the most expensive cards in the format. I would probably expect them to remain in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

jassi007 posted:

I did not see the stream. What confirms no bob or goyf?

I guess the assumption is that if they were in, they'd have been confirmed in. The cards that are revealed to be in the set are a card each from one of the new blocks being added in - Emrakul and Etched Champion.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Nothing, that I heard at least. I think mcmagic is assuming based on the expansion of the sets drawn from, but it's still a Modern Masters set, from all of the Modern cards, and 'goyf and Bob are still some of the most expensive cards in the format. I would probably expect them to remain in.

Ok. I mean given it says from 8th to Scars, that means it can include RAV block and TSP block cards, there is no reason they can not print them in so far as the timeline.

The real deal is no snap or lilly. That is where the price spike is going to be.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Attorney at Funk posted:

The cards that are revealed to be in the set are a card each from one of the new blocks being added in - Emrakul and Etched Champion.

Yeah, and I think that's just standard marketing. Hype is stronger with new things, and it gets home the message that this is an updated MM set, not just the old one coming around again. The R&D member had to explicitly refuse to identify 'exciting' cards other than the ones from the mini-trailer. They're going to be waiting for spoiler season to talk about anything else that may or may not be in there.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

jassi007 posted:

Ok. I mean given it says from 8th to Scars, that means it can include RAV block and TSP block cards, there is no reason they can not print them in so far as the timeline.

The real deal is no snap or lilly. That is where the price spike is going to be.

Pretty sure Lili is going to be in M16... She was supposed to be in M15.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Yeah, and I think that's just standard marketing. Hype is stronger with new things, and it gets home the message that this is an updated MM set, not just the old one coming around again. The R&D member had to explicitly refuse to identify 'exciting' cards other than the ones from the mini-trailer. They're going to be waiting for spoiler season to talk about anything else that may or may not be in there.

Yeah I'm not gonna claim we've learned anything about the contents of the set besides which cards are confirmed in and which cards are in the available sets. By which I mean I'm 100% certain that MM2 contains Jace, the Mind Sculptor heralding its impending unban in Modern.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It kinda sucks that they raised the price on packs though that might mean that it's easier to get...

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

Attorney at Funk posted:

Yeah I'm not gonna claim we've learned anything about the contents of the set besides which cards are confirmed in and which cards are in the available sets. By which I mean I'm 100% certain that MM2 contains Jace, the Mind Sculptor heralding its impending unban in Modern.

They release MM2 and the same day announce that Modern no longer has a ban list.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

mcmagic posted:

It kinda sucks that they raised the price on packs though that might mean that it's easier to get...

I think the most likely reason to jack up the MSRP (since after all it's not like almost anyone sold or bought MM for its printed price) would be if WotC is expecting to be less conservative with the printing.

Sotar posted:

They release MM2 and the same day announce that Modern no longer has a ban list.

I would force Cloudpost every draft.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

Pretty sure Lili is going to be in M16... She was supposed to be in M15.

I'm not a developer, but I'd sure player UB something in Khans-m16 standard when I can feed my GY for delve if she's re-printed. I'm more wary of the reprint, a lot of people think they're going to do something crazy for m16 since its the last core set, but I don't think that thing will be "unbalance standard by printing a lot of powerful cards." I could see some alt-arts, full art lands, every pack has a foil etc. things that are special but not gameplay affecting.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 7, 2014

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Imagine a full-art land in every pack instead of a foil. Oh the value.

So only 2 things spoiled so far?

EDIT: Wasn't a MMA pack 8 bucks? The price increase ins't that much.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

GoutPatrol posted:

Imagine a full-art land in every pack instead of a foil. Oh the value.

So only 2 things spoiled so far?

EDIT: Wasn't a MMA pack 8 bucks? The price increase ins't that much.

6.99. 30% price bump on packs is pretty steep. Boxes are $240 msrp out of the gate. If you can find any place that will discount them don't expect to get them for much under $200 if that.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Did they say game stores only or is this mass market?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

jassi007 posted:

6.99. 30% price bump on packs is pretty steep. Boxes are $240 msrp out of the gate. If you can find any place that will discount them don't expect to get them for much under $200 if that.

It's a more than 40% price bump actually. Either means they know demand is so strong for this set that, as usual, they can charge basically any price they want and be sure that maniacal wizard poker fanatics will pay it; or (what I hope is true) they've chosen to reprint even more high value cards than the first time around, so the set itself is literally worth more than MMA 1.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

MiddleEastBeast posted:

It's a more than 40% price bump actually. Either means they know demand is so strong for this set that, as usual, they can charge basically any price they want and be sure that maniacal wizard poker fanatics will pay it; or (what I hope is true) they've chosen to reprint even more high value cards than the first time around, so the set itself is literally worth more than MMA 1.

I suck at math but yeah. A big bump. I suspect bigger print run and probably more value. I expect several MM1 reprints, clique, bob, goyf, cryptic. All 3 eldrazi, karn, mox opal, noble hierarch, probably zen fetches (please print them in standard for my wallet)

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Larger print run all things being equal should have a downward effect on prices. While I'm sure that MMA2 will indeed have a larger print run after they tested the waters with the limited run of MMA1 and saw it didn't cause the world to end, I feel like the nominal price increase is probably symptomatic of them realizing they could have charged, say, $12/pack for MMA1 packs and still sold the thing out 3 times over. So you could look at $10/pack as technically representing a price decrease from whatever the 'economically optimal' price of MMA1 should have been.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Larger print run all things being equal should have a downward effect on prices. While I'm sure that MMA2 will indeed have a larger print run after they tested the waters with the limited run of MMA1 and saw it didn't cause the world to end, I feel like the nominal price increase is probably symptomatic of them realizing they could have charged, say, $12/pack for MMA1 packs and still sold the thing out 3 times over. So you could look at $10/pack as technically representing a price decrease from whatever the 'economically optimal' price of MMA1 should have been.

$240 a box MSRP is pretty close to what stores were actually selling them at last time, so yeah.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hopefully they reprint zendikar fetches and then make everyone hate them because they'll have the "uglier" khans of tarkir art, complete with the "Where dragons once [verb], their bones now [verb]." flavor text.

Also reprint cryptic command. I actually want to play Scapeshift and not pay out the rear end.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
It's modern. You can't not pay out the rear end.

AND DON'T JUST SAY "but burn..."

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Patrick Chapin vs Shahar Shenhar in the World Magic Cup Finals just started

If Chapin wins, maybe SCG will bring him back as a commentator :smith:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
lol Chapin wearing a shirt and tie for the top 4, further adding to the stark visual contrast of "literal teen" versus "30-something who's done actual hard time"

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Devor posted:

Patrick Chapin vs Shahar Shenhar in the World Magic Cup Finals just started

If Chapin wins, maybe SCG will bring him back as a commentator :smith:

He won't have time to comment what with the pussy he'll be drowning in.

GO CHAPIN GO

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Hopefully they reprint zendikar fetches and then make everyone hate them because they'll have the "uglier" khans of tarkir art, complete with the "Where dragons once [verb], their bones now [verb]." flavor text.

Also reprint cryptic command. I actually want to play Scapeshift and not pay out the rear end.

I actually think that they should wait until the KOT fetches rotate out of standard for the Zen reprints to get them into standard but they will sell ALOT of 10 dollar pacts if the Zen fetches are in MM15...

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Chapin shuffling: :stare: right at the camera.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
If MM2 has the Zendikar fetches, how much would that help prices? Verdant Catacombs and Marsh Flats are sub $30, Scalding Tarn is the only fetchland that is ridiculous.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

So close to a World Champion title defence.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Anything in MM2 that doesn't end up at Mythic will easily fall in price regardless of the price of a pack. Lots of places were gouging the price of MMA packs and we still saw drops on basically everything that wasn't Clique, Bob, or Goyf.

Might take a bit longer for prices to fall so it'll be a wait and see game on some stuff though. Especially Clique, Bob, and Goyf.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Chapin is falling apart, it looks like. Visibly shaking, sweating hard, just loosened up his tie and unbuttoned his shirt a bit. Hoping he can pull it together to make it a fun finish

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Omnikin posted:

Chapin is falling apart, it looks like. Visibly shaking, sweating hard, just loosened up his tie and unbuttoned his shirt a bit. Hoping he can pull it together to make it a fun finish

It isn't looking too good right now, he has no gas in hand :(

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

As someone with a LGS that charges MSRP for product the new $9.99 for MM2 is less good. I will still draft it all the time.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Chapin has been after this title his entire career and he's being beaten by someone who will now have won it twice in a row. Kinda sad.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Where do you view the streams at?

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

That was beyond brutal to watch. What a feat, though.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
http://www.twitch.tv/magic

Finals just ended though

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

I watch on YouTube because you can go back and forth along the stream easily. Also it seems to have fewer technical hitches.

And there goes Shahar, 3-0.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Did they say if Modern Masters 2 is what we've been referring to as M16?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I wasn't watching the stream, but I'd be surprised if that would be the case.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

C-Euro posted:

M16 is still a proper core set release. Where did the notion that MM2 would replace it come from?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I haven't really watched Worlds this weekend, because the invitational one Finnish game store has been running over the weekend has been much more fun to watch (and way better commentated too).

Three rounds each of:

Pauper Cube Rochester draft
Bring Your Own Block Highlander (60+15 cards all three sets chosen must be from different decades)
Classic decks auction (with 16 decks, from The Deck and ProsBloom to Jund and Caw-Blade to choose from
Cube Sealed
Manacost Highlander (40+10 cards, decks can't have more than one card at the same mana cost as in not two cards with 1GG)

http://www.hitbox.tv/poromagia

(edit: commentary in Finnish obv!)

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sleep of Bronze posted:

M16 is still a proper core set release. Where did the notion that MM2 would replace it come from?

When they first said that M16 would be a special send-off to core sets, my guess was that they were using that window to release MMA2. Guess not! Now I'm really curious to see what M16 will be.

• Locked thread