Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
So I just want to say that I got EU1 and EU2 in a game pack and I don't know if it's worth doing a Blind LP of it or not. Should I do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I kind of want to see the first EU.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
You should see the EU board game. It's a ridiculous grog game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh man I'd love a board game LP. I'm curious about how many, if any, of the mechanics have survived all iterations of the games.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I haven't seen the original EU since it came out. Is my memory failing me, or is cavalry only for support and doesn't do any damage in combat?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Supeerme posted:

So I just want to say that I got EU1 and EU2 in a game pack and I don't know if it's worth doing a Blind LP of it or not. Should I do that?

EU1 yes! Go for it.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Bel Monte posted:

If you ever intend on releasing it as a commercial product, copyrighted images for leaders are a pain to deal with.
I had to scour lots of internets for public domain images of leaders for East vs West, so if you need help there, hit me up! Or ask in the game making thread, I lurk there a lot too.

I'd really appreciate that. I'm not going to have a ton of leader portraits, probably only around 20 or so (one for each "type" of leader - Tito for "Independent" which makes the country move toward neutrality, Fidel for "revolutionary" which means the country will support rebels in neighboring countries, Saddam for warmonger which will greatly increasing the chance the country will declare war on neighbors, etc). Do you know any websites that have public domain historical pictures?

ThePutty posted:

can you explain your design more in depth for this game

because i really want it

You play as either the Soviets or the US (single or two player). Each turn you spend power and ideology meddling in the affairs of other nations to win the Cold War, trying to capture them into your sphere of influence through diplomacy (where ideology is primarily spent) or covert and military action (where power is primarily spent) while avoiding a nuclear war. CIA/KGB Agents can be sent into countries to increase the chance of success for these actions or hunt down enemy agents. The arms race and space race is also lightly simulated - if you produce enough missiles to create a significant missile gap you get a significant boost in power per turn along with an advantage in the DEFCON/nuclear war system (which I'm still working on) and if you advance faster than your opponent in the Space Race (costing power) you gain a significant boost in ideology per turn. The Space Race basically consists of steps - each turn you can either spend power researching for a greater chance of success the next turn, or you can risk it at whatever % chance of success you have that turn.

It's not a hot war game. If WW3 breaks out the game ends, and invading countries consists of clicking a single action and then having to support the puppet government you just set up against rebels and whatever your opposing superpower throws at it. Direct invasions will also threaten nuclear war.

There will be few historical events, I'm thinking elections in the US and, uh, selecting new leaders USSR when that happened historically for minor boosts to either power or ideology. MAYBE Nasser and some stuff involving Israeli-Arab conflict.

It's not nearly as complex as a Paradox game, and a lot of the historical realities are smoothed over for the sake of making it purely the struggle between East and West.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So Twilight Struggle: The Video Game then.

e: which sounds great

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

Wait so if I can't use Third World or Developing Nations now, what's the preferred terminology?

"Nations that lag behind others in some measures but are of equal moral and spiritual worth as any other nation?"

Wallerstein's world-system theory:

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Thomas P. M. Barnett has an interesting Core-Gap dynamic that I always found compelling even if the implied end goal doesn't thrill me.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Really cool information about a Cold War Game!

This sounds really neat! From the description it reminds me a lot of an old black and white computer Cold War game that had similar mechanics - though obviously here the presentation here is already better and it seems like you have a good grasp of the game mechanics you want to put in place as well. I do hope you pursue an events system like you mentioned, because not only does that seem like it would add more depth to the game, but also it would be a good opportunity to bring up real life Cold War era events people might not be aware of.

Great to see other people like Bel Monte willing to help out as well. Hope you'll post somewhere if there's anything anyone can do to pitch in and help - despite the depths this thread goes to sometimes, there seem to be quite a few people with an impressive knowledge of history and some people that seem knowledgeable about good game design as well.

Speaking of the Cold War Era, it's my impression that Crusader Kings 2's popularity is due more towards the mass-appeal of focusing on individual characters and the presentation as opposed to any modern popularity of that era in history - would a game that took a similar approach to an era more in popular consciousness like WWII or the Cold War have a chance at being successful?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Anyone know off hand if the naval force limits shenanigans of Victoria II can be modded out or adjusted in a no-nonsense fashion? My EUIV conversion game is converting in a couple of weeks and I think we're almost in a universal agreement that its dumb.

You are the first person I've ever heard complain about the force limits, but it should be pretty easy to just modifiy. Look for NAVAL_BASE_SUPPLY_SCORE_BASE in defines and that should lead you to the value you need. Be warned that messing with the naval force limits will probably ruin colonization, late game prestige, and who knows what else. But I guess if you just really want to build a massive fleet of Dreadnoughts I suppose.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Zeron posted:

You are the first person I've ever heard complain about the force limits, but it should be pretty easy to just modifiy. Look for NAVAL_BASE_SUPPLY_SCORE_BASE in defines and that should lead you to the value you need. Be warned that messing with the naval force limits will probably ruin colonization, late game prestige, and who knows what else. But I guess if you just really want to build a massive fleet of Dreadnoughts I suppose.

Yeah, honestly, make the savegame converter less poo poo instead. This was for an EU4 save conversion right?
You probably want to scale down COLONIAL_POINTS_FROM_SUPPLY_FACTOR as you scale up the supply base or everyone will drown in colonial points I think.

podcat fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 7, 2014

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Sindai posted:

Oh man I'd love a board game LP. I'm curious about how many, if any, of the mechanics have survived all iterations of the games.

Sieges have stayed almost entirely the same since the beginning. The only features not carried forward were hiding armies inside fortresses, and a Siege Progress result that gives the defender the option to surrender the fort in exchange for getting to safely evacuate those armies (plus the manpower from the garrison) to friendly territory.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

What's the timescale on a turn in the board game?

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Each turn is a couple of years, and will contain 2-10 combat rounds each meant to represent a campaigning season.

Turns are grouped into historical periods which tie into various mechanics like event tables.

The full Grand Campaign of 1492-1792 is 60 turns.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Hey Paradox devs:

There's currently a nasty bug that afflicts Manchu in EU4. If you've been on the ball as one of the Jurchen tribes and formed Manchu early, a rebellion may break Ming and result in this:

When Ming was broken (by peasants) I received my cores in Ming, but something much weirder also happened. I received a new ruler (who sucks and is illegitimate!) and had my Exploration idea group that was fully filled out replaced by a non-fully-filled out Administrative Ideas tree. Additionally, I lost all of my monarch points and visibility of everything west of Persia, as well as all of the territory I had explored previously. This isn't a huge deal since I was planning to take Admin next anyway and I can get Exploration back soon, but it definitely isn't working as designed.

Edit:

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Sieges have stayed almost entirely the same since the beginning. The only features not carried forward were hiding armies inside fortresses, and a Siege Progress result that gives the defender the option to surrender the fort in exchange for getting to safely evacuate those armies (plus the manpower from the garrison) to friendly territory.

So that's why the flavor text for winning a siege talks about how the garrison was allowed to march out with its banners, etc. Neat!

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 7, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

So Twilight Struggle: The Video Game then.

e: which sounds great

Not to put too fine a point on it, but "the US and USSR squaring off to try and influence as many countries to their own alignment while avoiding Hot War" describes Chris Crawford's Balance of Power as much as Twilight Struggle. The latter just trades away computer-based number-crunching in exchange for card-driven historical events.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
EU as a board game is a bloated mess, but one of the player spots in the 8 player game, at least, goes from Venice to Holland to Austria as the game proceeds. There's a lot of the game's DNA there in the first couple of entries.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

my laptop is insufficiently maoist

Should've installed Leninux instead.

Sindai posted:

Yes please, I'm curious as to how it even plays. I mean, I'm sure it's Risk but more complicated, but still.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

I'd really appreciate that. I'm not going to have a ton of leader portraits, probably only around 20 or so (one for each "type" of leader - Tito for "Independent" which makes the country move toward neutrality, Fidel for "revolutionary" which means the country will support rebels in neighboring countries, Saddam for warmonger which will greatly increasing the chance the country will declare war on neighbors, etc). Do you know any websites that have public domain historical pictures?

Seems a little strange to have, say, Fidel in Japan or something if the game goes off the rails, but I'm sure you'll figure something out.

The biggest source of images for me at the time was wikimedia/wikipedia.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
For the leaders you mentioned, and probably most others, this will be fine.

I had mostly country specific sites, so that may not be necessary, particularly if you focus on the "political stars" of the time. One thing I will say that will make you love the US, is that photos taken by the government are public domain.
http://www.loc.gov/
The US was the single greatest source of images for leaders at least. For many folks still in charge or around in African countries, the Obamas had a large number of press photos with them. Holy poo poo was that a life saver. Those are on wiki-pedia/media, but still, library of congress is a good source too.

Guess I wasn't as helpful as I could have been, but if you need specific leaders or countries, offer still stands for them too.

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 7, 2014

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Morholt posted:

The point was of course not that these countries would be a part of such a game but rather to point out that it is an imperialistic term.

Oh, word?

Sampatrick posted:

No trust me referring to half the planet as a third world as though they are separate and different from the rest of the world isn't imperialist or racist at all what are you talking about?

HMm...

Riso posted:

That's right.
The label was created by a Frenchman comparing the state of the world to the pre-revolutionary Estates of France.

First Estate: Nobles
Second Estate: Clergy
Third Estate: Everyone else

It is not imperialist.

Thanks for the history update dickhead.

Smoremaster posted:

By using the term "developing countries" you are still using western countries as an objective metric for comparison, so it's not really any different.

I wish you'd classify yourself with the worthless opinion-having retard label but hey to each their own

Sampatrick posted:

It actually can, if you change it from an Us versus Them point of view [First World vs Second World vs Third World], and instead just paint the world according to how developed a country is, you make the world seem much more integrated and make people more likely to care about other people in those countries.

:downsbravo:

In conclusion I hope the 4-5 posters who posted about this poo poo die to a loving carbon monoxide leak so I never have to read this awful horseshit in a loving Games megathread of all places ever again. There's a whole forum for shouting your worthless political wrong-pinions at each other.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The derail was over but thanks for trying to restart if to get in your lovely iceburns.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Larry Parrish posted:

In conclusion I hope the 4-5 posters who posted about this poo poo die to a loving carbon monoxide leak so I never have to read this awful horseshit in a loving Games megathread of all places ever again. There's a whole forum for shouting your worthless political wrong-pinions at each other.

Wow you're worse than they were somehow

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Bring back Sampatrick

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Slash, burn, and ethnic cleanse thread.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Freudian posted:

Bring back Sampatrick

Vote Sampatrick 2016

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
maybe we should designate this thread as third world/developing/whatever.

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

GSD posted:

"Global South"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Chief Savage Man posted:

Thomas P. M. Barnett has an interesting Core-Gap dynamic that I always found compelling even if the implied end goal doesn't thrill me.
Yeah, it seems much more appropriate for a post-Cold War world, perhaps precisely because there's a single implied end goal.

GSD posted:

It's about Swedish game developers, doesn't get much more third world developing than that.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Panzeh posted:

EU as a board game is a bloated mess, but one of the player spots in the 8 player game, at least, goes from Venice to Holland to Austria as the game proceeds. There's a lot of the game's DNA there in the first couple of entries.

I havent tried it, but I have had it described as "incredibly hard to get into and a lot of work".
Instead I'd recommend Here I Stand and Virgin Queen. Not to say that their rules arent massive and pacing means it takes like 10h to play but its very fun and captures the different between nations and history in 1500s. H.I.S even features a pregnancy lookup chart for Henry VIII :)

podcat fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 7, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

podcat posted:

I havent tried it, but I have had it described as "incredibly hard to get into and a lot of work".
Instead I'd recommend Here I Stand and Virgin Queen. Not to say that their rules arent massive and pacing means it takes like 10h to play but its very fun and captures the different between nations and history in 1500s. H.I.S even features a pregnancy lookup chart for Henry VIII :)

And Virgin Queen has the Jilted By Elizabeth Table. There's a game going in The Game Room now, although it's currently full.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

podcat posted:

VQ and Here I Stand are a lot more playable, yeah, absolutely. They're a lot more focused but they work really well for what they do.

EU is an accounting exercise.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I knew he was fat, but-

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Drone posted:

Someone post a map about mapgames or something, Jesus Christ.

I've started working on a new forum game for GBS. It's a modern geopolitical strategy game in which goons get to control entire countries and separatist groups. It should be... interesting.

Surprisingly, it's in a very similar style format to what that other guy posted a few pages back. :( Maybe he and I are on the same wavelength right now or something.

Edit: Specifically chose the map projection style to mess with equal-area projectionists.

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 7, 2014

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Freudian posted:

I knew he was fat, but-

It's actually pretty important for the English player in HiS because if you fail hard you get Mary and getting Mary is a really bad thing because it lets the Pope do things for you which aren't good.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Panzeh posted:

EU is an accounting exercise.

An apt description. While there's a handful of rules and systems meant to reduce tedium and some nice clean summaries of all the tables involved, it is still an involved process.

I've done a first rough pass on the maps, will probably end up redrawing them entirely at some point but for now the information's all preserved.

Previews-

Europe:

World:

A_Raving_Loon fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 7, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ExtraNoise posted:

Edit: Specifically chose the map projection style to mess with equal-area projectionists.
Please use Mercator, so the world isn't all bent.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ExtraNoise posted:

I've started working on a new forum game for GBS. It's a modern geopolitical strategy game in which goons get to control entire countries and separatist groups. It should be... interesting.

Surprisingly, it's in a very similar style format to what that other guy posted a few pages back. :( Maybe he and I are on the same wavelength right now or something.

There used to be forum Balance of Power games run fairly regularly in TG, but I haven't seen one in awhile. It was pretty much exactly this.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

That Norway is hilarious!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Silly geese, that's not where Hainaut is.

• Locked thread