Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Lunsku posted:

I haven't really watched Worlds this weekend, because the invitational one Finnish game store has been running over the weekend has been much more fun to watch (and way better commentated too).

Three rounds each of:

Pauper Cube Rochester draft
Bring Your Own Block Highlander (60+15 cards all three sets chosen must be from different decades)
Classic decks auction (with 16 decks, from The Deck and ProsBloom to Jund and Caw-Blade to choose from
Cube Sealed
Manacost Highlander (40+10 cards, decks can't have more than one card at the same mana cost as in not two cards with 1GG)

http://www.hitbox.tv/poromagia

(edit: commentary in Finnish obv!)

This looks crazy, have you any highlights from the earlier matches?

C-Euro posted:

When they first said that M16 would be a special send-off to core sets, my guess was that they were using that window to release MMA2. Guess not! Now I'm really curious to see what M16 will be.

Beta reprint, make it happen Wizards, we went over this already. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

C-Euro posted:

When they first said that M16 would be a special send-off to core sets, my guess was that they were using that window to release MMA2. Guess not! Now I'm really curious to see what M16 will be.

I'm not sure they've ever actually said anything like that about m16. I think there is a lot of rumor and hope and speculation. If they do something special it might be to throw in full art lands or something of that nature.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

C-Euro posted:

Haha, it's a far leap in logic from "a special send-off to core sets" to "let's turn Standard into mini-Modern for the next 12 months".\

edit: on the plus side it would mean they could rest easy knowing they hadn't accidentally printed a card they'd need to auto-ban in Modern, unlike some other recent sets

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Gerry T and Brad Nelson slated to face off in the Top 4 of the SCG Open and Gerry concedes before the match to help Brad contend for the Player's Championship :(. They should have agreed to play out all the games and just have Gerry concede right before the turn he would have won if he was indeed going to win. Was excited to watch them battle.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Haha, it's a far leap in logic from "a special send-off to core sets" to "let's turn Standard into mini-Modern for the next 12 months".\

edit: on the plus side it would mean they could rest easy knowing they hadn't accidentally printed a card they'd need to auto-ban in Modern, unlike some other recent sets

If I can't make wild, unfounded leaps in logic on the internet, where can I make them?

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

MiddleEastBeast posted:

What was your brew?

4 Akroan Hoplite
4 Mardu Ascendancy
4 Monestary Swiftspear
4 Seeker of the Way
4 Butcher of the Horde
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
3 Stoke the Flames
2 Magma Jet
2 Chained to the Rocks
4 Crackling Doom

4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Mountain
1 Swamp
2 Plains
1 Caves of Coilos
2 Temple of Triumph
3 Battlefield Forge
3 Mana Confluence
4 Nomad Outpost
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth

---------------
3 Gods Willing
2 Magma Jet
1 Chained to the Rocks
4 Lighting Strike
1 Stoke the Flames
1 Empty the Pits
3 Utter End

Moving forward, I will be cutting 1 magma jet, 1 chained to the rocks, 1 empty the pits for 3 murderous cut in the sideboard. I really just want to play hero's downfall (and have for awhile) but the double black is almost back-breaking to get by turn 4 consistently without killing myself on my mana base. That same very argument could be had with Chained to the Rocks and having mountains, given I only have 4 copies of it, which is essentially why I'm cutting one. Whether or not it's an instant or sorcery speed has almost no bearing whatsoever, because I intend to play all my spells on my turn anyways to use my 8 prowess creatures.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

C-Euro posted:

If I can't make wild, unfounded leaps in logic on the internet, where can I make them?

I'll defend to the death your right to make, and mine to ridicule, those leaps.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
hey guys I hear they are abolishing the reserved list for M16 and just going hog wild!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sotar posted:

hey guys I hear they are abolishing the reserved list for M16 and just going hog wild!
M16 is actually going to be a really small set that consists only of the reserved list. Also they're going back to the old card frame and getting Rebecca Guay to do all the art!

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Notice how it is called Modern Masters 2015 and not Modern Masters 2. Implies we could see more of these sets going forward

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Yes, that was mentioned. Bergeot said they're making no guarantees.

I mean, MMA2 would still leave the door totally open for MMA3, but I see what you're saying about the year.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Notice how it is called Modern Masters 2015 and not Modern Masters 2. Implies we could see more of these sets going forward

Helene Bergeot was asked on that, her answer was a "Maybe. We're keeping our options open."
So basically, yeah, they'll probably happen again, since they sell like hotcakes.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Is the MM2 prerelease going to cost like 60 bucks? Would be cool to open some packs, but singles are going to be a better value than ever.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Is the MM2 prerelease going to cost like 60 bucks? Would be cool to open some packs, but singles are going to be a better value than ever.

Supplementary products don't get prereleases, do they?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Just read the online announcement for it, it's cool that the digital pack MSRP is still $6.99.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

That's what I'm talking about.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Or maybe they called it MM2015 instead of MM2 because that's how they number everything else.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

No Prerelease but any Sealed events your local store(s) wants to run will probably be around that yeah.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Supplementary products don't get prereleases, do they?
That's a good point. For conspiracy we had a midnight release event, maybe drafting MM2 for 25 bucks or something will go down.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

That's a good point. For conspiracy we had a midnight release event, maybe drafting MM2 for 25 bucks or something will go down.

I wouldn't count on that.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I wonder if the MSRP will be more heavily discounted than for other product. Might be a way of letting retailers price according to demand without getting criticized for gouging.

I have a theory that many of the limited supplemental products are aimed partly at supporting retailers by giving them something they can earn a massive profit on.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

newtestleper posted:

I have a theory that many of the limited supplemental products are aimed partly at supporting retailers by giving them something they can earn a massive profit on.

I think Wizards, or at least MaRo, have explicitly said this in the past.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Wizards has stated short run stuff like FTV is a retailer reward, yeah.

Notice how it is called Modern Masters 2015 and not Modern Masters 2.
Go back and read threads in the archives about MMA. Everyone called it MM2015, MM2017, so forth and so on, a long time ago.

Wizards doesn't stop printing wildly successful stuff. Look at Commander. MM is in the schedule now, and will be until Modern dies. Anyone who believes otherwise needs to re-read that MSRP a couple times.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Magic is expanding so fast, they now have the ability to release way more stuff and have people buy it. There's a certain demographic of Magic players that really wants to buy something like MM2 for $10/pack, and five years ago there weren't enough players to justify releasing something like that. Now there is, so Wizards can release this and make a buttload of money. Their business model is going to be wildly successful as long as this picks up because printing additional packs of a set is much cheaper than the initial setup cost. As an economics student, I'd love to read all their secret files on costs of production, development, marketing, and tournaments.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Being paid more for a set you don't have to design new cards for seems pretty win/win to me. I guess making it a sensible draft environment would require some effort.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

I think that's a really funny bit of reasoning. Magic 2016 has the same naming scheme, and there aren't going to be anymore core sets after that one.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Applebees posted:

I think that's a really funny bit of reasoning. Magic 2016 has the same naming scheme, and there aren't going to be anymore core sets after that one.

Well they did do quite a few core sets in a row before they decided to stop making them.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Applebees posted:

We don't actually know what the last Core Set is going to be called yet, to be fair.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Just read the online announcement for it, it's cool that the digital pack MSRP is still $6.99.

I think this is the first time an online product has cost less than its paper counterpart.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I hope it's The Final Core and they license the riff from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw to use at the FINAL CORE PRO TOUR

Also I really find it weird that people automatically assume they're going to slam fetches into MM2015 instead of Dragons of No R&D Time. I mean there's a list of cards in "Cards we can reprint to float a standard set" and "Cards we can't reprint to float a standard set"; which column is Modern Masters supposed to be sold on the back of?

Of course since it makes no sense to use stuff from column A I totally imagine they'll do it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/104588417018/is-there-any-reason-why-its-modern-masters-2015

Maro posted:

Is there any reason why it's Modern Masters 2015 Edition and not Modern Masters II? I think the latter sounds more prestigious.

Modern Masters 2 feels like you missed out on something if you’re new.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Funny, considering that literally the entire point of the MM series is to keep people from missing out as hard on things that they weren't in on the ground floor of.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I assume that's also why they switched from numbering editions to going by the year.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

From a psychological and consumer standpoint that Maro answer makes a lot of sense. MM 2015 is saying "this is the newest latest greatest and bestest thing" while MM2 says "This is a sequel to that thing you weren't around for".

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I will say I'm a little surprised that people aren't that pissed about $10 packs.

I'll reserve judgment until I see the card list but I am very skeptical. "This card isn't for you," isn't going to cut it as an excuse when I pull Kokusho in a $10 pack.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Angry Grimace posted:

I will say I'm a little surprised that people aren't that pissed about $10 packs.

I'll reserve judgment until I see the card list but I am very skeptical. "This card isn't for you," isn't going to cut it as an excuse when I pull Kokusho in a $10 pack.

As long as you get at least 2.5x as much enjoyment out of it as a limited environment than other draft formats, that's all that matters :v:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

Or when you get a Sarkhan and a Jugan as the only mythics from your entire box, and a foil Tooth and Nail as the only card over $10? Yeah, that sure was a good use of $200!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'm not pissed, but it means there is almost no chance of me buying them. 3 bucks, I can stand getting a weak pack. 10 bucks, no loving way. I'll just buy a Karn or whatever because gently caress spending hundreds of dollars trying to crack one. Given that a good 80% of all mythic rares are dogshit, I'm not feeling it. I'm stoked that modern staples will be cheaper though. Maybe it will be worth it for the store to just crack a box and sell the singles.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
On the other hand, I'd unironically love to see a sanctioned draft format where every single card was OP as gently caress.

Common Goyfs, Uncommon Lilianas, let the bodies fall where they may :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

TheKingofSprings posted:

On the other hand, I'd unironically love to see a sanctioned draft format where every single card was OP as gently caress.

Common Goyfs, Uncommon Lilianas, let the bodies fall where they may :getin:

This is why I have been playing Cube for years. Closest thing you could probably get, outside of wizards going out of business draft

• Locked thread